Home

Nasty tick bite

Posted By: eric space

Nasty tick bite - 08/27/22 01:09 AM

Blood sucker fastened in my side while I was working in my garden. Right at the belt line. About my 20th tick bite this year but most do not swell and itch like this one.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Trap Setter

Re: Nasty tick bite - 08/27/22 01:14 AM

That's a rough one!
Posted By: Squaretimber

Re: Nasty tick bite - 08/27/22 01:16 AM

20th? You pull out 20 ticks a year? I thought my 2 a year was bad. Mine always itch terribly for months but if I get any other symptoms I get antibiotics
Posted By: Leary Sink

Re: Nasty tick bite - 08/27/22 01:20 AM

Eric
You had better get to the Dr. and get them to start you on antibiotics and get a blood test.
I had RMSF about 5 years ago and was so sick, l was afraid I wasn't going to die.
Im like you now when I get one biting me I itch like crazy and get a red/purple rash around the bite for about a week.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Nasty tick bite - 08/27/22 01:22 AM

I just did up some kraut and found two of'em. Reckon I need to find me a good women to check me for ticks. grin
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Nasty tick bite - 08/27/22 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Squaretimber
20th? You pull out 20 ticks a year? I thought my 2 a year was bad. Mine always itch terribly for months but if I get any other symptoms I get antibiotics

Shoot, we pull out at least 20 a year, probably more. Especially Drifter, they really seem to like his blood!
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Nasty tick bite - 08/27/22 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by Catch22
I just did up some kraut and found two of'em. Reckon I need to find me a good women to check me for ticks. grin

get one that will spend at least 20 minutes in the shower check.....then you got a keeper
Posted By: Boy Named Sue

Re: Nasty tick bite - 08/27/22 02:00 AM

They have been rough this summer. Tucking my pants in my boots and tucking my shirt in keeps it to a minimum. I usually catch them crawling up my cloths or feel them when they reach my neck.

Re: Nasty tick bite - 08/27/22 02:15 AM

women or ticks?
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Nasty tick bite - 08/27/22 02:49 AM

A real ticklicker woman?
Posted By: Computer Hater

Re: Nasty tick bite - 08/27/22 02:53 AM

Spray your clothes with permethrin. It will last through 5 or 6 washings and is near bullet proof.

I have watched ticks that got on my jeans. They make it about knee high and then they start lifting their legs up and down like they are walking on hot coals. After a while they just fall off.

Re: Nasty tick bite - 08/27/22 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Boy Named Sue
They have been rough this summer. Tucking my pants in my boots and tucking my shirt in keeps it to a minimum. I usually catch them crawling up my cloths or feel them when they reach my neck.

I'd have figured you Alabama boys would feel them right off on your toes being ya don't wear shoes. grin
Posted By: Boy Named Sue

Re: Nasty tick bite - 08/27/22 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by Boy Named Sue

I'd have figured you Alabama boys would feel them right off on your toes being ya don't wear shoes. grin

Funny man. smile
Posted By: Computer Hater

Re: Nasty tick bite - 08/27/22 03:00 AM

Lulu from Hee Haw might help you out !! grin grin

Re: Nasty tick bite - 08/27/22 03:02 AM

Sorry David, couldn't resist lol. Computer Hater, I never gave Lulu my number lol.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Nasty tick bite - 08/27/22 11:22 AM

what computer hater said , it works great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: Nasty tick bite - 08/27/22 11:34 AM

My brother got real sick almost a month ago.

Fever, chills, ache etc.
Tested for covid, flu and all the common suspects
Blood work came back way off and they ran some moe tests and determined he had ehrilchiossis chaffeensis. Result of a tick bite they said.
Crazy thing is it can be 2 weeks after being bit that you develop symptoms.
Good news is they gave him some antibiotics and he is back to normal
Posted By: J Staton

Re: Nasty tick bite - 08/27/22 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
Originally Posted by Squaretimber

Shoot, we pull out at least 20 a year, probably more. Especially Drifter, they really seem to like his blood!

Southern ticks must enjoy yankee blood. grin
Posted By: white marlin

Re: Nasty tick bite - 08/27/22 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Leary Sink
Eric
You had better get to the Dr. and get them to start you on antibiotics and get a blood test.
I had RMSF about 5 years ago and was so sick, l was afraid I wasn't going to die.
Im like you now when I get one biting me I itch like crazy and get a red/purple rash around the bite for about a week.

a few years ago, I was visiting with Newt in Port Republic. when I got home, I found a tick and had it tested. it had the bacteria for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. I called my doctor and he about freaked out...told me to watch for symptoms, and if I had even ONE, I was to call him IMMEDIATELY!

Get yourself to a doctor, Eric!

Re: Nasty tick bite - 08/27/22 12:31 PM

Texas lone star ticks are nasty....
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: Nasty tick bite - 08/27/22 01:37 PM

Tick bites can be very serious. I had one two years ago which anaplasmosis. I came very close to death. Get to a doctor and have a blood test. From now on use permethrin on your clothes. Some tick bites can kill you!
Posted By: jk

Re: Nasty tick bite - 08/27/22 06:06 PM

All ticks are nasty!!!!!!
Posted By: eric space

Re: Nasty tick bite - 08/27/22 07:59 PM

Went to doc this morning. Rash was from my belt to almost my armpit by then. Got some meds and a blood test, rash has subsided quite a bit by now.
All my clothes and truck cab have been sprayed with permethrin but they still get to me.
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Nasty tick bite - 08/27/22 08:14 PM

Here's some recent info:

Attached picture Screenshot_20220318-202953.png

Re: Nasty tick bite - 08/28/22 01:29 AM

check out TickEncounter.org from the University of Rhode Island

Lots of good info on Lyme's and RMSF
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Nasty tick bite - 08/28/22 02:15 AM

Hey Eric, just spent a week in hospital a couple weeks ago. High fever, liver shutting down and liver enzymes climbing. Seemed like they were checking blood very frequently when I was on the hospital bed. Had about 6 bags going on the IV pole, tubes in both arms. Had to take me off of my chemo for a week because my liver couldn’t handle both the tick crap and the chemo. Was a very tough week. Took me off my feet completely. Got dehydrated because didn’t feel like eating or drinking just wanted to sleep and my fever to go away.
Tick born illness is what it ended up being. No rash. No evidence of bite. I responded well only to the specific antibiotic they treated me for as a tick born illness.
Liver came back back in working order with no apparent damage. Still get a little tired in early evenings but am getting better every day. Back on the chemo and my sort of normal routine.
Use that bug spray guys! Ticks are evil little (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) that carry a nasty payload.
Jim
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Nasty tick bite - 08/28/22 02:25 AM

Didn't they start a lyme vaccine a few years ago and quit because it wasn't a money maker? I think they are working on vaccine trials now, so maybe in the near future there will be a prevention for lyme but there are so many other tick diseases you still will have to work at prevention.

Re: Nasty tick bite - 08/28/22 03:13 AM

jabNE has it effected your digestion of steak ?
after 20 years in the field researching them glad I'm retired from it.
and grouse hunt when the snow is on the ground
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Nasty tick bite - 08/28/22 10:19 AM

Haven’t had one yet, but I can’t seem to eat a lot which is OK by me just weird. Smaller meals only seem to work better.
Jim

Re: Nasty tick bite - 08/28/22 11:54 AM

May you recover to the fullest and thank-you for sharing your experiences, may we all learn from it.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Nasty tick bite - 08/28/22 02:43 PM

I avoid doctors and clinics as much as anyone I know but that looks bad and I would get it checked out!
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Nasty tick bite - 08/28/22 03:48 PM

You want ticks?
Try calling coyote in Wyoming in April!!!
I saw at least fifty ticks in one week
Posted By: gcs

Re: Nasty tick bite - 08/28/22 04:51 PM

I live in the epicenter of lyme tick land, they're bad, bites itch for weeks on me, my lower legs are full of tick bite scars, but the ones that scare me the most are those lone star ticks, which are getting more numerous here. The diseases you get from them, and it gets transmitted almost immediately are no joke...
Posted By: Cornbread

Re: Nasty tick bite - 08/28/22 05:22 PM

I’m an Ex-Beagler. AKC SPO Beagle Field Trial Judge and campaigned two AKC Field Champions 2002-06. I could write a book on ticks. My last champion came down with Lymes lacking one win from finishing. I tripled the doxycycline dose after no luck from the Vet. He tested neg. when I sold him. I also experienced Lymes in 2009 when several Beaglers were hospitalized and heard of a death in Indiana.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums