Home

Trying something...Canada Goose

Posted By: slydogx

Trying something...Canada Goose - 08/28/22 02:20 PM

Leaving for early Goose in a couple weeks and still had some of last year's in the freezer. I was thinking about upcoming dove season and it occurred to me that I could carve up the goose breast to "popper" size and wrap in bacon 😀
These will get a sweet/sour glaze made with brown sugar and apple cider vinegar while on the smoker this afternoon.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Trying something...Canada Goose - 08/28/22 02:26 PM

Look good Let us know how it turns out
Posted By: E.J. Kelley

Re: Trying something...Canada Goose - 08/28/22 02:43 PM

Better yet, send me a couple of those when they are ready!
Posted By: Flicker Shad

Re: Trying something...Canada Goose - 08/28/22 02:45 PM

I love goose breast wrapped in bacon on the grill!
Posted By: waggler

Re: Trying something...Canada Goose - 08/28/22 02:46 PM

I'll bet it tastes good; but on the other hand I'll bet a moose turd wrapped in bacon would taste good too.
Posted By: E.J. Kelley

Re: Trying something...Canada Goose - 08/28/22 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by waggler
I'll bet it tastes good; but on the other hand I'll bet a moose turd wrapped in bacon would taste good too.

Id try it!
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Trying something...Canada Goose - 08/28/22 03:27 PM

We used to do that a lot for parties, ran the meat through a cuber, marinate in zesty Italian, coat one side with sour cream and add a jalapeno slice, fold the meat so the sour cream and jalapeno are inside, then wrap a third of a strip of bacon and pin it with a toothpick. Fantastic, people ate them as fast as they came off the grill. Dove breasts with the breast bone removed are just as good done like this.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Trying something...Canada Goose - 08/28/22 03:36 PM

We wrap goose cubes in bacon, then thread on skewers and drench in dry coffee grounds. Grill rare to medium rare. Converted many a “I don’t eat goose” folks with this recipe.
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Trying something...Canada Goose - 08/28/22 03:40 PM

I have done similar thing. Marinade goose in Hoisin and oyster sauce, or soy sauce brown sugar. Both mixed also have onions and garlic little ginger. Let that sit over night in fridge. Then bacon wrap put on metal skewer and grill em. Once come off grill can eat right off skewer or pop them off into crock pot.
I've made goose this way for couple trapperman feeds. So might be fee people here that have tried them.

I've also used goose make summer sausage. That turned out good too.

Mac
Posted By: SJA

Re: Trying something...Canada Goose - 08/28/22 03:45 PM

Goose & duck bacon wrapped Jalapeno poppers.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Trying something...Canada Goose - 08/28/22 03:55 PM

SJA, when I prepare goose, duck, or anything else like that, I'm gonna ask you the details , in how you did that meal.

It looks divine !
Posted By: SJA

Re: Trying something...Canada Goose - 08/28/22 04:00 PM

No problem Sharon, anytime laugh
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Trying something...Canada Goose - 08/28/22 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by slydogx
Leaving for early Goose in a couple weeks and still had some of last year's in the freezer. I was thinking about upcoming dove season and it occurred to me that I could carve up the goose breast to "popper" size and wrap in bacon 😀
These will get a sweet/sour glaze made with brown sugar and apple cider vinegar while on the smoker this afternoon.
[Linked Image]

I take the goose breast and slice into thin long strips.I wrap that around a large sea scallop,,then wrap Bacon around that.I make several Skewers of them,then marinate in Soy Sauce(or Worstershire Sauce) and Italian dressing for an hour.Then throw them on the Charcoal Grill.Your tongue will slap yourself silly getting at them babys.People that tell me they HATE goose meat,,try these and think its Steak. smile
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Trying something...Canada Goose - 08/28/22 04:27 PM

Getting my trigger finger itchy, 4 more sleeps to go
Posted By: gcs

Re: Trying something...Canada Goose - 08/28/22 04:41 PM

I make goose pastrami out of them, even people that don't like wild goose ask for more.... grin
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Trying something...Canada Goose - 08/28/22 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Flipper 56
We used to do that a lot for parties, ran the meat through a cuber, marinate in zesty Italian, coat one side with sour cream and add a jalapeno slice, fold the meat so the sour cream and jalapeno are inside, then wrap a third of a strip of bacon and pin it with a toothpick. Fantastic, people ate them as fast as they came off the grill. Dove breasts with the breast bone removed are just as good done like this.

Sour cream? Or cream cheese?
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Trying something...Canada Goose - 08/28/22 05:03 PM

Y’all’s goose must taste better than ours. I haven’t had any early season goose, ours is normally later in the season after feeding on green fields. Sorta taste like nitrogen smells.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Trying something...Canada Goose - 08/28/22 05:16 PM

So is this the same kind of deal with cooking carp on a plank? Once its done, you throw away the carp and eat the plank?
All we have around here is resident geese and all they eat is fescue from manicured lawns and golf courses. They taste like fishy liver when they are on that feed. We tried to cut them into strips, tenderize with a mallet and deep fry them with a coating of fish-n-chips batter. I guarantee that you would be able to hold down a moose turd prepared thusly. These here geese, not so much.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Trying something...Canada Goose - 08/28/22 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
Originally Posted by Flipper 56

Sour cream? Or cream cheese?

Sour cream
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Trying something...Canada Goose - 08/28/22 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by 52Carl
So is this the same kind of deal with cooking carp on a plank? Once its done, you throw away the carp and eat the plank?
All we have around here is resident geese and all they eat is fescue from manicured lawns and golf courses. They taste like fishy liver when they are on that feed. We tried to cut them into strips, tenderize with a mallet and deep fry them with a coating of fish-n-chips batter. I guarantee that you would be able to hold down a moose turd prepared thusly. These here geese, not so much.

Yeah, all our geese are residents as well. DNR brought them in years ago thinking they’d migrate and they didn’t. They set up shop here and never left. We now have a generous early season and even regular season for them. I don’t really shoot them anymore unless I can find someone to take them.

Re: Trying something...Canada Goose - 08/28/22 06:33 PM

These are shot off if cut cor/wheat/beans. Flavor is just fine. I'll be cooking these in an hour or so, I'll update when finished

Re: Trying something...Canada Goose - 08/28/22 10:17 PM

[Linked Image]
Fellas, these are goo-oo-ood.
Tried one before serving (pitmaster privilege LOL) and they are about like a med. Rare rib steak.
I filleted all the silver skin off so very tender. Who's coming over?
Posted By: i1deagU

Re: Trying something...Canada Goose - 08/28/22 10:26 PM

How fast can i get there from southern US? Looks great!

Re: Trying something...Canada Goose - 08/28/22 10:28 PM

However long it takes you to get to Detroit plus 20 minutes LOL
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Trying something...Canada Goose - 08/28/22 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by slydogx
[Linked Image]
Fellas, these are goo-oo-ood.
Tried one before serving (pitmaster privilege LOL) and they are about like a med. Rare rib steak.
I filleted all the silver skin off so very tender. Who's coming over?

That is great to hear! I just noticed that you are in Canada. I'll bet that makes a huge difference in flavor quality. I wish that ours tasted a lot better. We are wrapped up in them and your picture is making my stomach growl.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Trying something...Canada Goose - 08/29/22 09:20 AM

looks great smile
Posted By: MB Coonguy

Re: Trying something...Canada Goose - 08/29/22 01:27 PM

and here I thought it was you unleashing news that "Canada Goose" was going to be using coyote fur to trim their parkas again!
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Trying something...Canada Goose - 08/29/22 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by MB Coonguy
and here I thought it was you unleashing news that "Canada Goose" was going to be using coyote fur to trim their parkas again!

Hahaha
Me too
© 2024 Trapperman Forums