Home

Catahoulas

Posted By: jv220

Catahoulas - 08/28/22 07:59 PM

2 of our Catahoulas on the couch with my wife...who else has Catahoulas?

Attached picture 20220824_162100.jpg
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Catahoulas - 08/28/22 08:06 PM

Here's my male Catahouls, Louie at around 11 months old.

[Linked Image]

Here's his sister Brandy as a pup.

[Linked Image]

I need to take some new pictures.

Keith
Posted By: la4wd54

Re: Catahoulas - 08/28/22 08:23 PM

Dottie, my blue lacy catahoula cross [Linked Image]
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Catahoulas - 08/28/22 08:25 PM

Awesome
Posted By: Savell

Re: Catahoulas - 08/28/22 08:30 PM

... wife brought home this catahoula/a-shepherd cross awhile back..

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Catahoulas - 08/28/22 09:09 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Catahoulas - 08/28/22 09:27 PM

Nice looking dogs!!!
Posted By: MattLA

Re: Catahoulas - 08/28/22 10:02 PM

Native to Louisiana, only 1 of 2 dogs left that are technically native to America, the other one I believe is in NC or SC.

Re: Catahoulas - 08/28/22 10:34 PM

Best dogs we have ever had. Great watch dogs and protectors. Great at tracking downed game!!
Posted By: Kevin Colpetzer

Re: Catahoulas - 08/29/22 12:05 AM

[Linked Image]
New Aussie
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Catahoulas - 08/29/22 12:36 AM

A few years ago my neighbors found two pups on the side of the road near their place. Vet said they where Catahoulas. Never heard of such a thing but they decided to keep one and rehome the other one. Ended up being such a good dog that they felt bad about not keeping both.
Posted By: Trapper Bo

Re: Catahoulas - 08/29/22 02:24 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Catahoulas - 08/29/22 03:28 AM

Keith, time has passed. What is your take on your pups? I've had hounds, Mt Curs, Feist. How are your Catahoulas with behavior, protection, hunting?
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Catahoulas - 08/29/22 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Catch22
Keith, time has passed. What is your take on your pups? I've had hounds, Mt Curs, Feist. How are your Catahoulas with behavior, protection, hunting?

Jeff, I like my Catahoulas. They listen well. They pick up new tricks easily. They love wrestling each other. Louie especially likes to run full tilt into Brandy, which makes a pretty sickening thud, but neither have gotten hurt or mad at each other. If both are off leash, if they start wrestling, they do occasionally run off farther than I like and don't listen as well. I can tell they have a natural desire to herd. They hold their heads low and get that stare that is used to intimidate cattle, when playing with each other.

Both are very affectionate. I have no doubt Brandy would not have any hesitation to bite if someone acted aggressively or off. Louie probably would bite and definitely would if Brandy did. They are both athletic. I've trained Brandy to jump on top off 55 gallon plastic barrels and to jump from barrel to barrel, with some cut off at different heights.

I have not done any hunting with them. I don't think their noses are even close to some of the beagles and shorthairs I've had. It's not really a fair comparison as my beagles and shorthairs had some of the world's best genetics. One of my beagles, Blueman's Soda Pop was ranked 4th in the World in 2012 and was a champion in 3 formats and had the wins, but needed more points in a fourth. I had at least 27 beagles I raised and started champion out.

Keith
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Catahoulas - 08/29/22 04:55 AM

Appreciate it Keith, thank you!!
Posted By: MattLA

Re: Catahoulas - 08/29/22 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by KeithC
Originally Posted by Catch22

Jeff, I like my Catahoulas. They listen well. They pick up new tricks easily. They love wrestling each other. Louie especially likes to run full tilt into Brandy, which makes a pretty sickening thud, but neither have gotten hurt or mad at each other. If both are off leash, if they start wrestling, they do occasionally run off farther than I like and don't listen as well. I can tell they have a natural desire to herd. They hold their heads low and get that stare that is used to intimidate cattle, when playing with each other.

Both are very affectionate. I have no doubt Brandy would not have any hesitation to bite if someone acted aggressively or off. Louie probably would bite and definitely would if Brandy did. They are both athletic. I've trained Brandy to jump on top off 55 gallon plastic barrels and to jump from barrel to barrel, with some cut off at different heights.

I have not done any hunting with them. I don't think their noses are even close to some of the beagles and shorthairs I've had. It's not really a fair comparison as my beagles and shorthairs had some of the world's best genetics. One of my beagles, Blueman's Soda Pop was ranked 4th in the World in 2012 and was a champion in 3 formats and had the wins, but needed more points in a fourth. I had at least 27 beagles I raised and started champion out.

Keith

They were actually hunting and tracking dogs from the beginning, it's sad the genetics have gone from what they once were. All catahoulas though have red wolf, beauceron, an exctinct mastiff and greyhound DNA in them. There are technically 3 different kinds of catahoulas, a small, med and large that you used to be able to choose depending on your needs.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Catahoulas - 08/29/22 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by la4wd54
Dottie, my blue lacy catahoula cross [Linked Image]

You didn’t recently (within the last year) have pups or was supposed to did you? My son and buddy were supposed to pick up a pup like yours from Texas but it was a false pregnancy. There’s a couple of those dogs down here that are used for tracking purposes. Guess I should say track and bay or hold. Had one owner tell me if you have a record buck, gut shoot it and call me in 4hrs and I can 100% guarantee my dogs will either find it dead or hold it until you get there to finish it off. They work for tips only, no set fee. Last year they were 100% on over 100 jobs. Unreal dogs.
Posted By: la4wd54

Re: Catahoulas - 08/29/22 07:42 PM

Wanna Be, no sir twas not me on the pups. My neighbor used to raise and sell blue lacys for tracking . He passed a few years ago tho.
Posted By: Outlaw99

Re: Catahoulas - 08/29/22 08:17 PM

[Linked Image]

Best dog and best friend I ever had
© 2024 Trapperman Forums