Home

Red squirrels - Michigan varmint?

Posted By: Kart29

Red squirrels - Michigan varmint? - 08/30/22 06:24 PM

I heard that Red Squirrel in Michigan is classified as a varmint/vermin and they can be shot any time.

I'm going to be up in northern Michigan next week and thought maybe it would be fun to take a .22 with me when we go hiking through the woods. I could pop a few red squirrels if they show themselves in a stand of hemlocks or something. But I don't want to pay for a non-resident hunting license.

In Michigan, are red squirrels legally varmints that can be shot any time?
Posted By: Michigander

Re: Red squirrels - Michigan varmint? - 08/30/22 07:48 PM

They can be shot at any time with any valid Michigan hunting license. Page 65 of the hunting digest.

150 bucks to shoot a few squirrels is pretty steep. Probably cheaper to pay the fine.
Posted By: Spade

Re: Red squirrels - Michigan varmint? - 08/30/22 08:10 PM

Don't know whether it would be cheaper. Depending on the Leo: ticket for hunting without a license, or a poaching charge, they take your firearm. Then it is reciprocal to Indiana.
To me shooting a few tree rats are not worth the chance.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Red squirrels - Michigan varmint? - 08/30/22 09:28 PM

hard to believe its 150 for small game ?
Posted By: midlander

Re: Red squirrels - Michigan varmint? - 08/30/22 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper Dahlgren
hard to believe its 150 for small game ?

Michigan non-res licenses have always been cheap compared to other midwestern states. 150 may seem like a lot until you realize you can purchase a non-res deer tag for $20. So, for $170, you can hunt all small game and harvest one deer....likely cheaper than any of our bordering states. I know I paid a lot more than that in Ohio and Indiana for a deer tag. Maybe things have changed in the last several years since I was down there.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Red squirrels - Michigan varmint? - 08/30/22 10:06 PM

That's a bunch
Posted By: midlander

Re: Red squirrels - Michigan varmint? - 08/30/22 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
That's a bunch

It would cost $282 in Minnesota...thats a bunch more! smile
Posted By: Kart29

Re: Red squirrels - Michigan varmint? - 08/31/22 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Michigander
They can be shot at any time with any valid Michigan hunting license. Page 65 of the hunting digest.

150 bucks to shoot a few squirrels is pretty steep. Probably cheaper to pay the fine.

Nah. If you have to buy a license, I'll just forget it then. Not worth it.

Thanks!
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Red squirrels - Michigan varmint? - 08/31/22 11:58 AM

WI is extra cheap then we have a NON res 5 day small game 55 dollars annual is 85

we do get you 160 for a deer license but , you can get bonus tags at 20 each until they are out

we also have a Military hunting license so if you go off and join the army get stationed somewhere not here and want to come home and hunt you pay resident rates.
Posted By: Rusty Axe Camp

Re: Red squirrels - Michigan varmint? - 08/31/22 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
WI is extra cheap then we have a NON res 5 day small game 55 dollars

That's to deal with the shame of being in Wisconsin. grin

I see the MI Non-Res as

*SMALL GAME NONRESIDENT
7-day license - $80.00
3-day license - $50.00

Still more than I would pay to shoot red squirrels.

Have to remember the Non-Res Small Game isn't set at that price so people can shoot red squirrels while hiking. Most folks don't come here to do that. It's the flocks of people who come here to chase grouse, bunnies and waterfowl.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums