Home

Rabbit eyes starting to ripen

Posted By: beaverpeeler

Rabbit eyes starting to ripen - 09/01/22 02:32 PM

Got some organic insect control going on too! Funny thing is this guy is hunting the little tree frogs that are doing all the good vinegar fly control.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Rabbit eyes starting to ripen - 09/01/22 02:51 PM

Garden Cobra!
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Rabbit eyes starting to ripen - 09/01/22 06:52 PM

kill that dang thing
Posted By: Guss

Re: Rabbit eyes starting to ripen - 09/01/22 06:53 PM

Kill and skin it.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Rabbit eyes starting to ripen - 09/01/22 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Guss
Kill and skin it.

Why?
Posted By: Old pup

Re: Rabbit eyes starting to ripen - 09/01/22 07:03 PM

Lucky you. I was cutting down a weedy area earlier this week till I realized the area held lots of milkweed and yellow garden spiders. I can cut them weeds in a few weeks. No hurry.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Rabbit eyes starting to ripen - 09/01/22 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by k snow
Originally Posted by Guss
Kill and skin it.

Why?

Exactly
I like snakes, just part of nature. I don't kill them either. Seems like a lot of people on here have phobias of ALL snakes.
Now I don't play with cottonmouths when I'm down south. But I leave them be
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Rabbit eyes starting to ripen - 09/01/22 08:42 PM

Had one "garden cobra" keeping me company in the garden this morning while I was picking beans. He would stay just a little bit ahead of me while I worked my way down the row. Kind'a cool.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Rabbit eyes starting to ripen - 09/01/22 11:28 PM

Even the poisonous snakes have a place in nature, leave the Non-poisonous ones alone!

Re: Rabbit eyes starting to ripen - 09/02/22 03:47 AM

Agree with you Bob.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Rabbit eyes starting to ripen - 09/02/22 05:12 AM

So, is that a kind of a garter snake?
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: Rabbit eyes starting to ripen - 09/02/22 12:14 PM

In my younger days I would have killed it

Now I only kill the venomous ones within 100yds of my house and the chicken snakes in the hen house

BTW, blueberries are long gone here. We were picking in early June. Love some fresh blueberries

Re: Rabbit eyes starting to ripen - 09/02/22 03:06 PM

It's what I have always called a garter snake. At some point I have been corrected but dang it, it's still a garter snake to me.

We started picking our rabbiteyes about 10 days ago and they will go on until the end of October. Rabbiteyes are the native blueberry of the southeast. They weren't really a thing until some breeding work started around 1939. Before that they were all just wild blues.

This variety is Ocklockonee and was bred at the U. of Georgia and named for a river there. Very nice flavor and sweet and firm. Good sized berries too, averaging about 3 grams each.
[Linked Image]

Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Rabbit eyes starting to ripen - 09/02/22 03:52 PM

Looks like a bumper crop BP.

BTLowery I am like you unless a venomous snake is close to a house, barn, or some workin pens I will leave them alone.

True story, a guy who has a super nice arena and has jackpots and roping practice nights every week let a young fella camp in his bunkhouse.
The kid took to killin every black, blue, bull snake, or coach whip he came accros. He did that for 2 years and was quite effective. Fast forward a couple more and if you find a snake on the place it has rattles.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums