Home

Shelves still empty

Posted By: Oh Snap

Shelves still empty - 09/02/22 03:12 PM

This is our store shelves, how about yours?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Guss

Re: Shelves still empty - 09/02/22 03:17 PM

Nothing going to get better till Biden get out of the WH.
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: Shelves still empty - 09/02/22 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Guss
Nothing going to get better till Biden get out of the WH.

That's a fact
Posted By: Bob

Re: Shelves still empty - 09/02/22 03:34 PM

Couple weeks ago the bread isle in our local Walmart looked just like that
Posted By: DaveP

Re: Shelves still empty - 09/02/22 03:35 PM

Local family run chain closing up, been here for decades.
My kids worked there in HS, always had fresh stuff, local produce and seafood, plus lots of specialty stuff.
If you asked, they'd try to get it.

As an independent, couldn't keep shelves stocked last 2 years, been getting progressively worse.

Selling off fixtures and equipment now.

Saddens me.

Posted By: Rockfarmer

Re: Shelves still empty - 09/02/22 04:48 PM

Is that a Walmart? IF so, they are just resetting the aisle for halloween candy - notice there are no shelf tags for regular items.

Re: Shelves still empty - 09/02/22 05:02 PM

Yes Walmart
Different sections like this at different times. New normal I guess!

Wanted to see if it’s just here since everything comes in by barge or everywhere.

Where else can a question be asked and get answers from all over the country?
Posted By: K91773

Re: Shelves still empty - 09/02/22 05:25 PM

I was in the store the other day and noticed the shelves were full until I got to looking then I noticed there were many rows of the same thing on the shelf and the cans were only one deep so they had spread out what little they did have to make it looked like they were well stocked. That kind of told me that they aren't expecting resupply anytime soon if they went to that much effort.
Posted By: corky

Re: Shelves still empty - 09/02/22 05:58 PM

Within the last week Walmart was out of 4 basic necessities, Roundys got shorted on 3 items in their sale flyer and Subway didn't have any lettuce at noon on Tuesday. I'm trying to buy a $ 700 accessory for my pier and the dealer can't guarantee he will get it in 60 days. I'd say we have a problem.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Shelves still empty - 09/02/22 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by corky
Within the last week Walmart was out of 4 basic necessities, Roundys got shorted on 3 items in their sale flyer and Subway didn't have any lettuce at noon on Tuesday. I'm trying to buy a $ 700 accessory for my pier and the dealer can't guarantee he will get it in 60 days. I'd say we have a problem.

Yep
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: Shelves still empty - 09/02/22 06:45 PM

The importance of prepping in troubled times is just common sense. You can always use it in the future. Prep enough food & supplies for a month. It is always peace of mind if nothing else
Posted By: Squaretimber

Re: Shelves still empty - 09/02/22 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Oh Snap
Yes Walmart

Wanted to see if it’s just here since everything comes in by barge or everywhere.

I haven't noticed it much here. Northeast US
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Shelves still empty - 09/02/22 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Squaretimber
Yes Walmart

I haven't noticed it much here. Northeast US

Unless you're looking for certain kinds of ammo!
Posted By: SGT. C

Re: Shelves still empty - 09/02/22 08:57 PM

Stocking my freezers and plan on buying another soon. Deer season open sept.15th, and the restocking will comence.
Had cubestock froma roadkill buck i found a mile from house last december last night. Buck still had steam coming from it. It tasted just fine and it cost me nothing. Not going to pass up an opportunity when it presents itself.
Same with folks offering veggies from their gardens
Sarge
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Shelves still empty - 09/02/22 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by SGT. C
Stocking my freezers and plan on buying another soon. Deer season open sept.15th, and the restocking will comence.
Had cubestock froma roadkill buck i found a mile from house last december last night. Buck still had steam coming from it. It tasted just fine and it cost me nothing. Not going to pass up an opportunity when it presents itself.
Sarge

Had a many roadkill suppers and I'm still normal!
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Shelves still empty - 09/02/22 10:01 PM

We have started driving to more affluent neighborhoods in Columbus, Ohio to buy groceries, if we have more than a few groceries to buy. The country grocery stores by us, which have always had a much smaller variety of items for sale, are now often devoid of once common items like chicken leg quarters, ground beef, tortillas, bread, Nestlé's Quick and powdered Gator Aide. I think that the chain stores know they will sell out of what they have in town, near their warehouses, so don't bother to ship items in short supply out to the rural stores.

Keith
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Shelves still empty - 09/02/22 10:20 PM

Yes Walmart

Spotty empty shelves. May not have something for 4 or 5 days but then it will show up.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Shelves still empty - 09/03/22 10:45 AM

better than its been but still empty spot in our walmart
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Shelves still empty - 09/03/22 11:31 AM

I've even seen empty potato sections in Walmart which should never happen. Last 5# bag of taters I bought was 5.88. Onions are getting about as bad. Definitely need to step up the garden production.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Shelves still empty - 09/03/22 11:35 AM

Other than TSC, we’ve not been in a store in months. lol I know there are some shortages with things getting canceled off of the orders though.
Posted By: elkaholic

Re: Shelves still empty - 09/03/22 01:03 PM

They're getting ready to put out the Christmas decorations.
Posted By: Badger23

Re: Shelves still empty - 09/03/22 01:19 PM

Looks like they're changing a display in that aisle.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Shelves still empty - 09/03/22 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Catch22
Originally Posted by SGT. C
Sarge

Had a many roadkill suppers and I'm still normal!

Hmmmmn.... hahaha
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Shelves still empty - 09/03/22 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by J Staton
Spotty empty shelves. May not have something for 4 or 5 days but then it will show up.

I've noticed the same. My shopping strategy has changed to counteract this. What I do now is if A,B,C is missing but D,E,F is there I buy more than normal of D,E,F . Next time I go to the store if A,B,C is there , I buy it but more than normal. This has worked out well , I pretty much have what I need plus my larder is growing , this is kinda like prepping without thinking about it. Only thing it doesn't work for is perishables.

Re: Shelves still empty - 09/03/22 03:45 PM

Other areas!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: bhugo

Re: Shelves still empty - 09/03/22 04:21 PM

Looks like Walmart is having issues getting stuff to Alaska. Grocery stores around me might be missing something here or there but the shelves are full. This includes little country stores by my house. Most are really full of local produce right now. I’m not sure if Walmart buys local produce like other stores do.

Re: Shelves still empty - 09/03/22 04:41 PM

We have a farmers market. The growing season is soon over and a lot of things don’t grow here.

Safeway and Fred Meyers / Krogers same thing. There is a small market in Healy that is rumored to be moving to North Pole, 3 Bears. Some people drive to Healy to shop there. I think that’s why they are coming here.
Posted By: Teacher

Re: Shelves still empty - 09/03/22 09:16 PM

When our favorite sandwich meat went missing (Jennio turkey ham), I checked several area stores. Nobody had it. So, I called the company. A very nice spokesperson said due to avian flu, Covid, a lack of processing staff and truckers, they were cutting back on some of their products till later in the year. It’ll be a while till normal happens again.

Re: Shelves still empty - 09/03/22 09:46 PM

Maybe they'll go the way of K mart
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Shelves still empty - 09/03/22 10:24 PM

Compared to Oh Snap's shelves I guess we need to be thankful in our area.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Shelves still empty - 09/03/22 11:30 PM

OH Snap is that North Pole / Fairbanks?

Re: Shelves still empty - 09/03/22 11:31 PM

Fairbanks
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Shelves still empty - 09/03/22 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Teacher
When our favorite sandwich meat went missing (Jennio turkey ham), I checked several area stores. Nobody had it. So, I called the company. A very nice spokesperson said due to avian flu, Covid, a lack of processing staff and truckers, they were cutting back on some of their products till later in the year. It’ll be a while till normal happens again.

So if its a temporary cut back they must be expecting an improvement in conditions. Or they are expressing optimism weather they believe it or not.
I don't know if "normal" will ever happen again.

Re: Shelves still empty - 09/03/22 11:48 PM

Thanks for the reply Oh Snap. The Walmart is new since I lived there. Off the top of my head I would say Healy is 100-110 miles more or less from Fairbanks. Population is about 1000 for those that have never spent any time up there. How would you like to drive 100 miles in hopes of getting groceries? Thanks for posting Oh Snap.
Posted By: MNTrapper21

Re: Shelves still empty - 09/04/22 12:00 AM

Fully stocked here

Re: Shelves still empty - 09/04/22 12:33 AM

MJM
Yes it’s a 2 hour drive to Healy in the summer at the speed limit, lol
When did you live here. Walmart has been here for quite a while, what I remember is that it was one of the first dynamic compaction jobs in Fairbanks. We got Home Depot, Lowes, Sportsman’s Warehouse and several more in a couple year period.
Posted By: Squaretimber

Re: Shelves still empty - 09/04/22 01:04 AM

Maybe the trucks have been stuck in that construction on the parks highway...for the last year

Re: Shelves still empty - 09/04/22 01:06 AM

...another China Issue I bet
Posted By: run

Re: Shelves still empty - 09/04/22 01:08 AM

You have my sympathy, Oh Snap.
Posted By: Slick Pan

Re: Shelves still empty - 09/04/22 01:15 AM

We are seeing more on the shelves here but the other day I went to buy eggs which I can buy from farmers but the one local farm only sells thru the stores and I try to buy from them. Any rate the big store I shop at had hardly any eggs and very low on milk .Either they are not stocking it because of lack of help or they just cannot get it delivered.

Re: Shelves still empty - 09/04/22 01:38 AM

Oh Snap I was in Fairbanks 92-95. I was in Galena a year before that.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Shelves still empty - 09/04/22 03:31 AM

Ours are not bad, but we do see issues and shortages with seasonal items such as some gardening supplies like spices. I would imagine there will be these issues for some time yet.

Bryce
© 2024 Trapperman Forums