Home

Goose season is back!!

Posted By: coondagger2

Goose season is back!! - 09/02/22 05:05 PM

Our early goose season opened yesterday and we have been getting after them. Tougher morning yesterday, birds switched feeds on us. We made them pay this morning though!

These are my dog's first goose hunts. Stoked with how she is doing. Getting those big geese in her mouth confused her at first but she is getting it now and putting the puzzle pieces together

14 birds yesterday and 25 today. September is starting off great! Anybody else getting after them?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hornady Reloader

Re: Goose season is back!! - 09/02/22 05:07 PM

Nice. Ours is open and hope to get out next Thursday.
Posted By: AirportTrapper

Re: Goose season is back!! - 09/02/22 05:09 PM

Our goose season is not until Nov 5th. We only get specklebelly and snows though.
Posted By: Sask hunter

Re: Goose season is back!! - 09/02/22 05:17 PM

Good job! We got 24 darks and 15 ducks yesterday for opener
Posted By: pintail_drake04

Re: Goose season is back!! - 09/02/22 05:58 PM

We'd be lucky to see that many Canada geese in a season here. Well done!
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Goose season is back!! - 09/02/22 06:46 PM

Had only one flight come in this morning. Small group and the survivors of the one volley wanted no part of a 2nd round. They turned tail and left in a hurry.

Re: Goose season is back!! - 09/02/22 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by QuietButDeadly
Had only one flight come in this morning. Small group and the survivors of the one volley wanted no part of a 2nd round. They turned tail and left in a hurry.

That's how it was for us yesterday. Only one group came and we only were able to get those 4. The rest went to a new feed
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Goose season is back!! - 09/02/22 08:41 PM

Tomorrow is our opener, running about 500 decoys and setting between the roost and the field they've been feeding in, we shall see.
Posted By: E.J. Kelley

Re: Goose season is back!! - 09/02/22 09:27 PM

October 1st is opener here.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Goose season is back!! - 09/02/22 09:47 PM

Nice work!
I wish my decoy trailer was as nice as yours!
Posted By: imissed

Re: Goose season is back!! - 09/02/22 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by AirportTrapper
Our goose season is not until Nov 5th. We only get specklebelly and snows though.

Specks are so tasty. Taste like a duck but 2-3 times the size. Never ate a snow heard they're nasty.
Posted By: AirportTrapper

Re: Goose season is back!! - 09/03/22 12:45 AM

Snows are bottom of the barrel. Sausage meat
Posted By: Wallace

Re: Goose season is back!! - 09/03/22 12:57 AM

[Linked Image]

I just had 4 floating decoys. But we were on the river near the golfcourse.
This is my first time decoying and calling early Canada's, I'll be doing it some more.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Goose season is back!! - 09/03/22 02:05 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Goose season is back!! - 09/03/22 02:40 AM

This will be my 2nd year chasing geese, only got out a few times last year so I'm excited to get more time in the field (literally) this year.

I'm heading out in the morning to a cut wheat field. Haven't had the chance to scout out any feeds, and only have permission on a few fields anyway, but hoping I can lure in a few dumb ones.

What are your thoughts and experiences with spinning wing duck decoys in goose spreads? I've heard they're the cats meow and can bring em right in, and I've heard the geese want nothing to do with them. I'm bringing a pair tomorrow and will have a remote for them so I can turn them off if the geese don't like what they see.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Goose season is back!! - 09/04/22 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by tlguy
This will be my 2nd year chasing geese, only got out a few times last year so I'm excited to get more time in the field (literally) this year.

I'm heading out in the morning to a cut wheat field. Haven't had the chance to scout out any feeds, and only have permission on a few fields anyway, but hoping I can lure in a few dumb ones.

What are your thoughts and experiences with spinning wing duck decoys in goose spreads? I've heard they're the cats meow and can bring em right in, and I've heard the geese want nothing to do with them. I'm bringing a pair tomorrow and will have a remote for them so I can turn them off if the geese don't like what they see.

Curious how you did? We run dove spinners but shut them off when the geese start coming. Geese flared the one time we left them on
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Goose season is back!! - 09/04/22 07:26 PM

I'd like to know how you did too. Been my experience the geese don't like them.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Goose season is back!! - 09/04/22 08:10 PM

Geese flare away from spinning wing decoys.
They do like flagging if done right.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Goose season is back!! - 09/04/22 08:12 PM

The only spinning wing anything that’s ever worked for me is a spinning wing dove on a Teal hole. Our ducks, geese, and even dove don’t like them. Teal on the other hand will land so close they about knock it over.
Posted By: slydogx

Re: Goose season is back!! - 09/04/22 10:50 PM

There used to be a flapper decoy called a "wing waver" which I think is no longer manufactured. I hinted over one and the geese were practically landing on it.
I wish I could find one for a decent price LOL.
They definitely don't like spinning wing decoys here.
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Goose season is back!! - 09/05/22 08:06 PM

My Saturday morning hunt was foiled by sleeping in to late and not being the first one to the field. Though I did hunt this morning at a different spot and had a lone goose put down the landing gear over a pair of mojo mallard spinning wing decoys like he was going to land before I jumped the gun and started blasting at him. He probably won't like spinning wing decoys anymore.

I've used them in ND field hunting for ducks and have to shut them off when the geese are coming or they won't commit. Might have different luck here in WI. Time will tell, lots of season left.

Re: Goose season is back!! - 09/06/22 11:59 AM

In my experience the spinning wing decoys do not work for any type of goose.

For lesser canadas and snows we do well with the "clone" decoys which are basically a full body goose decoy with flapping wings elevated off the ground. They don't spin, they flap. Lessers and snows like a lot of movement in the spread. The honkers I do not fool with any flapping or spinning contraptions

Re: Goose season is back!! - 09/06/22 12:07 PM

We were lucky enough to have an amazing hunt yesterday morning, our best NC hunt to date. We shot 42 out of a cow pasture. No corn cut yet in that area so they have been feeding in a large pasture. We had sort of written it off because the landowner is known to not allow hunting. We went and talked to him Sunday afternoon and I did not realize he was not able to walk or get around anymore. He told us he would let us hunt if we could mow his yard and take his trash can down to the road to be picked up, no problem!!

The yard was grown up like a jungle but 3 guys with weedeaters and me on the mower were enough to get it done in a couple hours. Half way through he came outside to stop me saying we had done too much. I told him we were going to finish, it was the least we could do. Whether or not we killed a goose I felt like we at least did a good thing for a neighbor. The reason we killed so many was because they came in smaller groups of 10-15 and our shooting was very good. We killed 42 out of 60 or 65 birds that came in. That puts us up to 81 birds in 3 days of goose hunting. The goal for us is always 100 in September
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Goose season is back!! - 09/06/22 12:08 PM

where the pic,

Re: Goose season is back!! - 09/06/22 12:14 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Goose season is back!! - 09/06/22 12:16 PM

nice !!!!
Posted By: slydogx

Re: Goose season is back!! - 09/06/22 12:18 PM

Great stuff Coondagger2!

Re: Goose season is back!! - 09/06/22 06:18 PM

Thanks gentlemen, its a lot of work but worth it when it works out
Posted By: crosspatch

Re: Goose season is back!! - 09/08/22 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Wallace
[Linked Image]

I just had 4 floating decoys. But we were on the river near the golfcourse.
This is my first time decoying and calling early Canada's, I'll be doing it some more.

What a size difference in those geese Wallace. Smaller ones look like northern cacklers but imagine too early for them there unless them kind breeding your area too along with the big ones.
Posted By: Ringneck1

Re: Goose season is back!! - 09/08/22 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by coondagger2
We were lucky enough to have an amazing hunt yesterday morning, our best NC hunt to date. We shot 42 out of a cow pasture. No corn cut yet in that area so they have been feeding in a large pasture. We had sort of written it off because the landowner is known to not allow hunting. We went and talked to him Sunday afternoon and I did not realize he was not able to walk or get around anymore. He told us he would let us hunt if we could mow his yard and take his trash can down to the road to be picked up, no problem!!

The yard was grown up like a jungle but 3 guys with weedeaters and me on the mower were enough to get it done in a couple hours. Half way through he came outside to stop me saying we had done too much. I told him we were going to finish, it was the least we could do. Whether or not we killed a goose I felt like we at least did a good thing for a neighbor. The reason we killed so many was because they came in smaller groups of 10-15 and our shooting was very good. We killed 42 out of 60 or 65 birds that came in. That puts us up to 81 birds in 3 days of goose hunting. The goal for us is always 100 in September

That is awesome coondagger. A tutorial on how to get permission and drop the hammer on them!
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Goose season is back!! - 09/08/22 04:24 AM

Good for you!

I wanna go along!
Posted By: Ringneck1

Re: Goose season is back!! - 09/08/22 04:31 AM

In my experience the spinning wing decoys do not work for any type of goose.

For lesser canadas and snows we do well with the "clone" decoys which are basically a full body goose decoy with flapping wings elevated off the ground. They don't spin, they flap. Lessers and snows like a lot of movement in the spread. The honkers I do not fool with any flapping or spinning contraptions

Until they started selling T flags, we used to flag all races of Canada geese right to the shot. Still works to some degree but I can only remember shooting 2 or3 Canada geese over spinners.
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Goose season is back!! - 09/08/22 07:08 AM

[Linked Image]

Nice big Canadians.

We get the Cackler version here along with Whitefronts mostly. Me and a buddy got 18 so far.

Re: Goose season is back!! - 09/08/22 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Good for you!

I wanna go along!

https://www.32auctions.com/organizations/64221/auctions/127102/auction_items/3886491

I'm donating a hunt to the FTA auction this year, would love to have you out!

Re: Goose season is back!! - 09/08/22 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by yukonjeff
Nice big Canadians.

We get the Cackler version here along with Whitefronts mostly. Me and a buddy got 18 so far.

Nice job!! Unfortunately all we get here are the big honkers. You can see in the pics some are much smaller than others. They aren't lessers or cacklers they are just young birds lol

We chase the lessers in the Midwest and in Texas. There's nothing like laying under a tornado of 5000 lessers about to land on your feet, but I love them all!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums