Home

How Many guns ???

Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

How Many guns ??? - 09/03/22 02:44 PM

so we were talking with a friend who was telling us about the new ATF pistol brace rule change , we can get into that later but , they estimate 20-40 million braced pistol in US civilian hands .

wait what 5-10% of all guns are braced pistols , can that be . well when you start asking that question you have to ask the how of they estimate the number of guns in the USA

so a couple years ago they estimated 410 million and that does seem like a big number figuring with sales the last couple years we have to be over 425 million because they said 21 million guns just in 2020 were sold

well we got thinking and I think I found where they got that number from
https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/nics_firearm_checks_-_month_year.pdf/view
if you think about this , this is the number of Nic's searches and while some guns get bought and sold and bought and sold that is likely a minority , this also doesn't take into account you bought 2+ at a time my biggest transfer ever was 13 and yes it did take more than one form but ATF said cool one Nics even if it is multiple forms.

so a much more realistic number is since Nov 1998 434 million
unless a gun was resold via a dealer after that date nothing before Nov 1998 counts in that number

we are looking at more like 800 million possibly a Billion guns

sure some become un-usable over time and some used in crimes are destroyed

but also think none of the guns the ATF, or police departments lost or were stolen from gun shops or stolen from police/alphabet agency lost or failed to destroy when they had a guy selling them from the ATF destruction site to the black market

nothing in dealer inventory counts ,nothing in SOT inventory counts , nothing curio and relic counts , nothing after the first gun on a Nics search counts and nothing bought or sold before Nov 1998 counts and nothing home built counts in that 434 million number.
Posted By: Boone Liane

Re: How Many guns ??? - 09/03/22 02:49 PM

Did they count all the seized guns Eric Holder gave the cartels that ended up back in the US?

Re: How Many guns ??? - 09/03/22 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Boone Liane
Did they count all the seized guns Eric Holder gave the cartels that ended up back in the US?

probably not
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: How Many guns ??? - 09/03/22 04:51 PM

The majority of the guns that I own were purchased before 1998
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: How Many guns ??? - 09/03/22 04:52 PM

As far as I'm concerned, they have no business knowing how many guns are out there.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: How Many guns ??? - 09/03/22 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by trapdog1
As far as I'm concerned, they have no business knowing how many guns are out there.

Yeppers. But I think they may find out if they cary on like this
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: How Many guns ??? - 09/03/22 08:56 PM

I have 7 guns, if 7 of my guns got confiscated how many would I have left?

30! I lied about the 7!
whistle
Posted By: 160user

Re: How Many guns ??? - 09/03/22 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Leftlane

30! I lied about the 7!
whistle

You lost yours on the boat too huh?

Re: How Many guns ??? - 09/03/22 09:06 PM

It was tragic I tell ya. Tragic!
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: How Many guns ??? - 09/03/22 09:08 PM

I don’t think it matters how many I have. They have to get the one out of my hands before they can get the others.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: How Many guns ??? - 09/03/22 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by 160user

30! I lied about the 7!
whistle

Thay sell salvage magnets and they work for recovery of such things. Ask me how I know?
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: How Many guns ??? - 09/03/22 09:37 PM

30! I lied about the 7!
whistle

It was a raft...
Posted By: white marlin

Re: How Many guns ??? - 09/03/22 09:47 PM

30! I lied about the 7!
whistle

nothing personal, but I HATE this kind of thinking.

if it gets to THAT point, you might as well turn 'em in...you won't be able to USE them. (your neighbor or nephew will turn you in for a $25 gift certificate to "Rats R Us")

better to to try to prevent that from happening in the first place.

“If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed;
if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may
come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves.” Winston S. Churchill

Re: How Many guns ??? - 09/03/22 10:03 PM

White Marlin it's never a good idea to keep all your eggs in one basket. Just last week dropped my basket of eggs and all but a few were cracked and busted.

Not having all your assets in one location and having multiple back ups is always a good idea.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: How Many guns ??? - 09/03/22 10:42 PM

“How many guns?”

Posted By: walleye101

Re: How Many guns ??? - 09/03/22 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
I don’t think it matters how many I have. They have to get the one out of my hands before they can get the others.

Joe says that's silly because the government has nukes, so your gun is worthless against his nukes. Can you imagine if Trump would have threatend to use nukes on US citizens?
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: How Many guns ??? - 09/03/22 11:02 PM

...and F-15s lol!

Re: How Many guns ??? - 09/04/22 12:29 AM

The f 15s didn't work against goat herders living in caves. Joe left with his tail between his legs. Wonder how that would work out when the opposition lives on the same continent, blends In and is well equipped.

I'm guessing the intelligence they display suggests that has not occurred to them. And they seem to think a guy in a Buffalo hat unarmed was scary.

Re: How Many guns ??? - 09/04/22 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
White Marlin it's never a good idea to keep all your eggs in one basket. Just last week dropped my basket of eggs and all but a few were cracked and busted.

Not having all your assets in one location and having multiple back ups is always a good idea.

I think you're missing my point...

Re: How Many guns ??? - 09/04/22 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by walleye101

Joe says that's silly because the government has nukes, so your gun is worthless against his nukes. Can you imagine if Trump would have threatend to use nukes on US citizens?

yet all of congress was scared poop less of unarmed , mostly peaceful protesters standing in the building , and have been prosecuting to the fulllllllllest extent of the law to make sure to discourage any repeat.

Posturing ?

Re: How Many guns ??? - 09/04/22 01:09 AM

My point was , does it change how you think about things when you realize it isn't 1.25 guns per person and is more like 3.1 guns per person.

if the Bruin decision states in common use can not be banned and they then think 5-10% of all guns they currently think are in common used fall into the category that the ATF wishes to make NFA items.
Posted By: Posco

Re: How Many guns ??? - 09/04/22 01:11 AM

I bought two more in the past three days. I go in spurts.

Re: How Many guns ??? - 09/04/22 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by white marlin
Originally Posted by Providence Farm

I think you're missing my point...

No I got it just thought it was possible you could be missing some possible details of others plans. Nope don't have them, they were lost or stolen so the are not here to give you.

Often people comment similar to yourself giving the impression they think it's a good idea to attempt to take on a swat team at their door. News flash if that's the corse of action you will loose. You will be killed along with your family and the news will report a deranged man barricade himself in after shooting a few cops and eventually killed his family and himself as he set the house on fire.

Not the best plan and may not be what you ment but it's the impression I get from the Rambo cold dead hands bullets first rubbish we often hear.

Re: How Many guns ??? - 09/04/22 01:17 AM

So Providence, are you saying you’ll turn your guns in?

Re: How Many guns ??? - 09/04/22 01:18 AM

don't disagree, PF.

different tactics would be the wiser choice.

Re: How Many guns ??? - 09/04/22 01:27 AM

So Providence, are you saying you’ll turn your guns in?

Most don't know what they will do untill they are in that situation. The most blustery tough guys will likely be urinating down their legs while the least likely in the room will man up and become a one man Rambo and leader. Sargent York comes to mind.

I will not bluster and say what I'm a Goin-a-due or what I would do. Time will tell but I'm more inclined to open.the Dore and invite them and ask if they are hungry or thirsty. Give then.the few guns at the house and send them on their way refreshed.

Re: How Many guns ??? - 09/04/22 01:30 AM

I can see your point White and I enjoy the boating accident humor but I don't actually disagree with ya.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: How Many guns ??? - 09/04/22 09:33 AM

After the first few doors are breached, and forced entry is happening on a larger scale, In rural America the biggest threat to the ATF won't be from within the home....It will come from from neighbors and friends outside the target home. Once large scale Nazi style gun round up begins large scale resistance will also happen. A few will go down at the start, but blood will flow both ways pretty quick. You will help your neighbor and friends, as you will soon be next....I won't be a peaceful protest. Taking our food,water, fuel and energy will be first....

Re: How Many guns ??? - 09/04/22 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Feedinggrounds
Taking our food,water, fuel and energy will be first....

Better have a plan to take out theirs, at the very least keep them busy elsewhere.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: How Many guns ??? - 09/04/22 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
Originally Posted by Feedinggrounds
Taking our food,water, fuel and energy will be first....

Better have a plan to take out theirs, at the very least keep them busy elsewhere.

The gun owning Americans will get food and water, the government will be busy trying to appease and feed the non gunowners, while looking over their shoulder. That's what chaos looks like. They cannot get the guns one house at a time or 100 houses at a time, when that starts the other 400 millions will be loading. I'm sure they spend as much time figuring out how to take them, as Americans spend thinking of ways to keep them....
Posted By: TC1

Re: How Many guns ??? - 09/04/22 11:04 AM

^very likely on all points.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: How Many guns ??? - 09/04/22 11:22 AM

The viet cong and afghans were good at getting by with nothing. In vietnam they made sandals from tires and in afghanistan they made serviceable guns without power tools. They slept on the ground and were skinny. living off the land for a large part of their food. The fighters were protected from U.S. troops by living in "friendly" communities. The U.S. paid informers and then let the "good guys" torture the folks on the other side.

It might look like that again but I suspect that it wont start that way. It will start with the national guard and volunteer civilians standing up to regular military.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: How Many guns ??? - 09/04/22 01:11 PM

My wife thinks I only got 27.
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: How Many guns ??? - 09/04/22 06:00 PM

The real answer to "how many guns?" we have. NOT ENOUGH
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: How Many guns ??? - 09/04/22 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Diggerman

The gun safe is the greatest invention ever. No glass doors so she can count the contents. Out of site, out of mind.

Re: How Many guns ??? - 09/04/22 08:09 PM

That may be a good thing. Only one in the house needs to be buying guns. My wife will buy a gun based on looks at the drop of a hat, lol. She’s out of town and sent me a pic of a “pink” one that she bought for herself. She’s giving me the one she’s replacing it with, so I sorta win too. The problem we run into is her buying ammo. She just buys it whether we have that caliber or not. My wife has serious issue!! Shopaholic issues!!!
Posted By: K52

Re: How Many guns ??? - 09/04/22 09:31 PM

That may be a good thing. Only one in the house needs to be buying guns. My wife will buy a gun based on looks at the drop of a hat, lol. She’s out of town and sent me a pic of a “pink” one that she bought for herself. She’s giving me the one she’s replacing it with, so I sorta win too. The problem we run into is her buying ammo. She just buys it whether we have that caliber or not. My wife has serious issue!! Shopaholic issues!!!

You lucky dog, you have to buy a gun that can shoot that caliber ammo. It's wasteful to not have the appropriate gun. I'd tell her to buy more, never know what you might end up with.

Re: How Many guns ??? - 09/04/22 10:33 PM

Back when Walmart sold ammo, she came home with about 500 rounds of .45 ammo…ball and the good stuff, lol! We have umpteen little .38’s scattered around and probably 250 rounds for each near them. Bought her a .280 as a deer rifle and she goes and buys about 200 rounds for it, thank God they shot well out of it!! What’s bad is she couldn’t remember if she had a .280 or .270 so I had about 10 boxes .270 ammo as well. I was able to sell it off thankfully.
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: How Many guns ??? - 09/04/22 11:19 PM

At least she's a shopaholic for the right kind of stuff cool

Re: How Many guns ??? - 09/05/22 12:05 AM

The guy that had the property behind us had 340+ guns listed at his estate sale. This is what is possible when you are single all your life.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: How Many guns ??? - 09/05/22 12:41 AM

Good for him.

I could have multiple hundreds of guns if I spent the cash I do on fishing on guns instead. Had a literal handful of kids too.

Priorities.

Re: How Many guns ??? - 09/05/22 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Steven 49er
Good for him.

I could have multiple hundreds of guns if I spent the cash I do on fishing on guns instead. Had a literal handful of kids too.

Priorities.

You can buy some guns cheaper than a respectable rod and reel combo, lol. I buy guns as Christmas and birthday presents, some just happen to be for my Christmas and birthday!
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: How Many guns ??? - 09/06/22 02:52 PM

We live in the U.P.
No need for guns.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums