Home

Electric bicycles vs electric trolling motors ..

Posted By: Gary Benson

Electric bicycles vs electric trolling motors .. - 09/03/22 09:21 PM

So these electric bicycles are all over the streets and don't have to be licensed yet a Jon boat has to be licensed for a trolling motor. I'm gonna pitch a -
Posted By: patfundine

Re: Electric bicycles vs electric trolling motors .. - 09/03/22 09:33 PM

If they are below 750 watts they are considered non motorized. The majority of them are below that.
Posted By: Gene Dziza

Re: Electric bicycles vs electric trolling motors .. - 09/03/22 09:47 PM

That’s a great point and it’s probably coming Gary. They won’t miss a revenue opportunity.
Posted By: bhugo

Re: Electric bicycles vs electric trolling motors .. - 09/04/22 12:50 PM

Doesn’t the boat have to be registered/licensed without the trolling motor? I don’t think the motor makes any difference in cost here to register.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Electric bicycles vs electric trolling motors .. - 09/04/22 01:11 PM

No motor, no register here. Unless something has changed.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Electric bicycles vs electric trolling motors .. - 09/04/22 02:12 PM

If you are running a trolling motor here while drinking , you get charged with a DUI the same as if you were running the gas engine at speed or driving a car. I doubt those same standards apply to an electric bicycle , but I could be wrong.
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Electric bicycles vs electric trolling motors .. - 09/04/22 02:59 PM

Here under 12' no registration unless it's motorized.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Electric bicycles vs electric trolling motors .. - 09/04/22 03:15 PM

I think bicycles should need to be licensed in order for adults to ride them on the public roads. Why should bicyclists be able to use the pavement that I have paid for through gas taxes unless they pitch-in too?
Posted By: Flicker Shad

Re: Electric bicycles vs electric trolling motors .. - 09/04/22 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by bhugo
Doesn’t the boat have to be registered/licensed without the trolling motor? I don’t think the motor makes any difference in cost here to register.

Nope. No motor, registration not required. That' why I'm not putting a trolling motor on my canoe.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Electric bicycles vs electric trolling motors .. - 09/04/22 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Trapset
No motor, no register here. Unless something has changed.

Same here, no motor no registration.
If you use a state boat launch, you need a 5 dollar permit but that's it.

Re: Electric bicycles vs electric trolling motors .. - 09/04/22 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by waggler
I think bicycles should need to be licensed in order for adults to ride them on the public roads. Why should bicyclists be able to use the pavement that I have paid for through gas taxes unless they pitch-in too?

So if you hike on public hunting land, should you have to pay a fee just like the hunters have to buy a license?
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Electric bicycles vs electric trolling motors .. - 09/04/22 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Flicker Shad

So if you hike on public hunting land, should you have to pay a fee just like the hunters have to buy a license?

In Mo, everybody pays a 1\8 cent sales tax to support conservation, so the libtard hikers DO pay. Flip side, they have more say on hunting\fishing regs.
Posted By: Spade

Re: Electric bicycles vs electric trolling motors .. - 09/04/22 05:32 PM

Exemptions from Registration and Titling in Michigan
New boat registration is not required for certain vessels, including boats that have a valid out-of-state registration and are only in Michigan waters temporarily. Additionally, boat registration numbers are not required for types of vessels listed below:

Vessels under 16 feet that operate by oars or paddles and are not intended for commercial use.
Nonmotorized canoes or kayaks that are not intended for commercial use.
Rafts, surfboards, and floatation devices.

If you put a trolling motor on the boat/canoe/kayak is has to be registered
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Electric bicycles vs electric trolling motors .. - 09/04/22 06:04 PM

and they have the right-of-way over a licensed vehicle.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Electric bicycles vs electric trolling motors .. - 09/04/22 07:00 PM

Yes!
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Electric bicycles vs electric trolling motors .. - 09/04/22 08:17 PM

I think most bicyclists also own cars and pay the same taxes as the rest of us that pertain to road usage.
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Electric bicycles vs electric trolling motors .. - 09/04/22 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson

and they have the right-of-way over a licensed vehicle.

And so do pedestrians.

Re: Electric bicycles vs electric trolling motors .. - 09/05/22 12:34 AM

So these electric bicycles are all over the streets and don't have to be licensed yet a Jon boat has to be licensed for a trolling motor. I'm gonna pitch a -

To be honest, I'm sick of all the license, fees, and taxes. One less thing is ok by me. I'm tired of being Nickeled and dimed by and incompetent entity.
Posted By: Crowfoot

Re: Electric bicycles vs electric trolling motors .. - 09/05/22 12:40 AM

PA nabs ya for whatever ... at parks.
https://boatinggeeks.com/pa-launch-permit/

parasites, IMO
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Electric bicycles vs electric trolling motors .. - 09/05/22 01:34 AM

To be honest, I'm sick of all the license, fees, and taxes. One less thing is ok by me. I'm tired of being Nickeled and dimed by and incompetent entity.

Me, I'm tired of the DNR's going full on to the left. Hiking, birdwatching, Kayaking, is where they are going. I love that people enjoy Nature how they see fit but I don't like using our money to pay for them to ostracize hunters, trappers, and fisherpeoples.

Make the hikers and birdwatchers pay a fee like us and keep the monies separate. Theirs go toward maintaining trails and such. Ours, going towards their jobs of stocking, creating habitat, keeping sustainable hunting and trapping populations high for us. That would be great!
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Electric bicycles vs electric trolling motors .. - 09/05/22 03:02 AM

all depends on the state

you can drive a 50,000 pound tractor on the road with no license or plates or registration

I don't much care if you have an electric trolling motor or an electric bike or if you drive your tractor on the road
© 2024 Trapperman Forums