Home

Harbor Freight generators

Posted By: MChewk

Harbor Freight generators - 09/04/22 09:24 PM

Has anyone used them? And is there a certain model to stay away from?
THANKS
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Harbor Freight generators - 09/04/22 09:26 PM

Predator brand has good reviews.
Posted By: MNSouthPaw

Re: Harbor Freight generators - 09/04/22 09:28 PM

Friend of mine has the 3500 watt. It has been great. They were able 2 run to campers with ac on without tripping the overload. I borrowed it a couple times for my trailer. It is quit and has decent run time.

Re: Harbor Freight generators - 09/04/22 09:36 PM

Thanks guys...looking to get a few in case power is limited in this crazy time we live in.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Harbor Freight generators - 09/04/22 09:43 PM

all made in china just different brand names.
Posted By: MattLA

Re: Harbor Freight generators - 09/04/22 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by MNSouthPaw
Friend of mine has the 3500 watt. It has been great. They were able 2 run to campers with ac on without tripping the overload. I borrowed it a couple times for my trailer. It is quit and has decent run time.

They must have been the smallest campers known to man!

My vote goes for briggs and straton, they had this model called Storm Responder 6250 watts, it was like 800 bucks at lowes, I think HD has the 6500w one for 900. We ran that generator nonstop for 35 days 24/7, I never changed the oil, and it was ran in 105+ degree heat during this time. If you remember Hurricane Laura, it smashed our house with 2 trees, and knocked out power in our area for 30+ days. Only problem was that on day like 20 of it running 24/7, in the sun with no shade, it turned off because it was really hot. I put some shade deal over it, never had another problem.
Posted By: Flicker Shad

Re: Harbor Freight generators - 09/04/22 09:57 PM

For convenience and portability I'd buy buy two smaller ones and use them in parallel if you need the extra wattage. Research for the size you need.
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Harbor Freight generators - 09/04/22 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Flicker Shad
For convenience and portability I'd buy buy two smaller ones and use them in parallel if you need the extra wattage. Research for the size you need.

You'll need one of the generators that are made to be twinned together. I think Honda makes one but they are high end. Power out of a generator is a sine wave. The two sine waves would need to be synchronized.
Posted By: MNTrapper21

Re: Harbor Freight generators - 09/04/22 10:03 PM

I have the Predator 2000. I have had great luck with it and its fairly quiet. I strictly use it for ice fishing and have never had an issue with it so far. I put an hour meter on it for maintenance purposes, I change the oil in it every 50 hours. It was super easy to install the hour meter, just a wire that curls around the spark plug wire. Aside from changing the oil every 50 hours I put in a better spark plug, a NGK and I only run oxy gas in it, I think you'll be happy with a Predator if you do purchase one.

Re: Harbor Freight generators - 09/04/22 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by maintenanceguy
Originally Posted by Flicker Shad

You'll need one of the generators that are made to be twinned together. I think Honda makes one but they are high end. Power out of a generator is a sine wave. The two sine waves would need to be synchronized.

Lots of brands can to it. They have a port just for it. Plug and play. I've been researching and watching lots of YouTube. Easy peezy.
Posted By: Finster

Re: Harbor Freight generators - 09/04/22 10:16 PM

When I'm looking for something like this, I youtube it looking for reviews. You can usually find something and it helps.

Re: Harbor Freight generators - 09/04/22 10:27 PM

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/lCTpHHz0Yuh3
Posted By: Roy Greenfield

Re: Harbor Freight generators - 09/04/22 10:30 PM

Mike, the last two generators I have bought are dual fuel.
Both gasoline and propane. Have not had gas in them but the propane is
a lot safer storage wise. The wattage is a little lower with propane but does not
cause a problem.
Roy
Posted By: Leary Sink

Re: Harbor Freight generators - 09/04/22 11:26 PM

I would want something bullet proof and idiot proof too, I live on the Outer Banks of NC.
Sooner or later, where I am is going to be a goat roping if a hurricane comes up the Pamlico Sound.
I have worked in Hatteras after hurricaines and know what to expect. I have never had a power loss of any significance in years but I need to get ready.

Re: Harbor Freight generators - 09/04/22 11:40 PM

Thanks for the responses...will do more homework
Posted By: Marty

Re: Harbor Freight generators - 09/04/22 11:44 PM

Honda = top of the line...I have two hondas, a frame and an invertor. Plus on chinese invertor. You want spare spark plugs and spare pull cords. Push button start would be best but the smaller ones have pull cord.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Harbor Freight generators - 09/04/22 11:57 PM

We have been using this one to supply power to our cabin. Two years now, no issues. Just filled it up and fired it up. It will still be running 2:00pm tomorrow.

[Linked Image]

We are only powering lights, tv, fans and a water pump with it though.
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: Harbor Freight generators - 09/05/22 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
We have been using this one to supply power to our cabin. Two years now, no issues. Just filled it up and fired it up. It will still be running 2:00pm tomorrow.

[Linked Image]

What price tag does a Predator have Hobbie Trapper ?

Re: Harbor Freight generators - 09/05/22 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by patrapperbuster
Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper

[Linked Image]

What price tag does a Predator have Hobbie Trapper ?

Under $500
Posted By: MNSouthPaw

Re: Harbor Freight generators - 09/05/22 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Tofan
[quote=MNSouthPaw]Friend of mine has the 3500 watt. It has been great. They were able 2 run to campers with ac on without tripping the overload. I borrowed it a couple times for my trailer. It is quit and has decent run time.

They must have been the smallest campers known to man!

I would not say they were small my friends is 32 ft. Both have 30 amp service panels. While running both ac units they pulled 28 amps as displayed on the usage screen of the generator. Nothing else was being used in the trailers.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Harbor Freight generators - 09/05/22 12:54 AM

A HF employee told me that Predator was started by a disgruntled Honda employee and use the same parts. I have one and it's been flawlees.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Harbor Freight generators - 09/05/22 01:06 AM

I'm in the coastal plain/ piedmont area of NC. Bought a CAT rp5500 years ago when a bad storm was expected. It will run the well pump, 2 freezers, refrigerator and the microwave at my house during outages. Have used it many times on construction jobs without power, fencing on the farm etc. IMO buy a good one rated for your needs it only hurts once.
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Harbor Freight generators - 09/05/22 02:48 AM

Another idea to get ready for an electrical outage:

It's nice to have an electrical panel with an interlock that lets you switch between utility power and generator power but I came up with the poor man's version. My well pump and oil fired furnace are plug connected. I added an electrical receptacle at the ceiling above the well pump (220V) and above the furnace (110V). Both appliances plug into these instead of being hard wired. When the power goes out, I unplug from the ceiling receptacle and run an extension cord to my generator. That gives us running water and heat without having to hack something together to make it work. Add a couple of lamps we're comfortable. The longest we had to go was 7 days and that was a long time ago.
Posted By: charles

Re: Harbor Freight generators - 09/05/22 06:19 AM

Buy a larger generator that you currently need. Do not use your microwave while other items are drawing current.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Harbor Freight generators - 09/05/22 10:49 AM

If you get out the food you need for the day and put it in an ice chest, then do not open freezers or frig's, You can run your generator for an hour every day for food storage till the lights come back on. Fill some 5 gallon buckets if you need well water. Dont need a lot of gas or a big generator if its for power outages. Our cook stove and natural gas heat both still work without electricity. The oven wont work but I have one of those collapsible stove top ovens coleman makes.

For fur when trapping leave skins layed out over night. Put them in the freezer in the morning. Fire up the generator while you fix breakfast. Let it run an hour and shut it down till tomorrow.

Re: Harbor Freight generators - 09/05/22 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
If you get out the food you need for the day and put it in an ice chest, then do not open freezers or frig's, You can run your generator for an hour every day for food storage till the lights come back on. Fill some 5 gallon buckets if you need well water. Dont need a lot of gas or a big generator if its for power outages. Our cook stove and natural gas heat both still work without electricity. The oven wont work but I have one of those collapsible stove top ovens coleman makes.

For fur when trapping leave skins layed out over night. Put them in the freezer in the morning. Fire up the generator while you fix breakfast. Let it run an hour and shut it down till tomorrow.

What are you, some kind of survivalist expecting people to manage their inconveniences? lol
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Harbor Freight generators - 09/05/22 11:52 AM

In a real TEOTWAWKI, your going to run out of fuel. If you plan for that plan for existing without any fuel except firewood or coal if there is either near you.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums