Home

New horse

Posted By: salemtrapper

New horse - 09/05/22 09:05 PM

Not a big horse fan! But the wife and daughter and the wife wanted me to ride with her so we have been on the look out for one that I could ride and sissy can grow into. Sissy's horse is getting up in age and starting to get the ole author in her back leg. So we came across this 4 year old that will let anyone ride. Need [Linked Image]
to work on a few things like his backing up and keeping in trot for my liking but seems to be a pretty smart horse that he will figure out how I want things done. Brought him to the farm and my mom hopped on him, so he is grandma proof lol.
Posted By: ScottPhillips

Re: New horse - 09/05/22 09:11 PM

That is a handsome horse!
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: New horse - 09/05/22 11:13 PM

Nice looking horse, that's what I need, a horse that anyone can ride. The only horse I ever saw like that was on a Merry-Go-Round.
Posted By: 1lessdog

Re: New horse - 09/05/22 11:36 PM

I have been looking at the price of a good broke saddle horse and I can't believe the money they are getting for them. A good broke trail horse. No games or rodeo just trail and getting 3500.00 to 5500.00

Re: New horse - 09/06/22 12:11 AM

Nothing is cheap. This one is just a trail horse for now, wife does horse shows so I'm sure she will work on somethings with him for the shows. I just need a horse not to buck, go straight where I point him, and to stop lol. I'm not picky.. Alicia, and everyone else think we need Cadillac in every horse I'll settle for a minivan.. like I said I'm not really a horse fan but she been wanting one we could ride together. Too me only horse worth anything is one work cattle, but I don't have cattle so I don't need one really... But what momma wants momma gets.
Posted By: K91773

Re: New horse - 09/06/22 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by 1lessdog
I have been looking at the price of a good broke saddle horse and I can't believe the money they are getting for them. A good broke trail horse. No games or rodeo just trail and getting 3500.00 to 5500.00

Yes, but what does a trip to the ER cost, sometimes the 5500 dollar horse is a bargain!
Posted By: Dstone1992

Re: New horse - 09/06/22 12:57 AM

Heck yeah!!

Re: New horse - 09/06/22 12:59 AM

Are you guys going to the big trail ride in Eminence coming up?

Re: New horse - 09/06/22 01:07 AM

There was a big one last weekend and a guy rode this horse. He told me he put about 30 hours on the horse pass weekend. Do have plans on going to one may have to wait for next year, way work has been being shorthanded been rough finding time to do anything. Me and the wifes anniversary is coming up in October and the looked into some rides in black Missouri. But may have to check out eminence

Re: New horse - 09/06/22 01:21 AM

Yeah there is a great big one in eminence October 2nd-8th I have not been to it. The guy I bought my mule from lives there anRiver. Me about it. I rode some of the trails for about 2 hours. They were pretty darn nice trails right on the Jack's fork river.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: New horse - 09/06/22 09:12 AM

nice looking horse
Posted By: corky

Re: New horse - 09/06/22 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Trapper Dahlgren
nice looking horse

x2 Beautiful looking animal
Looks like Trigger LOL

Re: New horse - 09/06/22 05:30 PM

Dstone that maybe the week I take off for the anniversary will have to look I to that one. I'm sure lodging is all booked up though.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: New horse - 09/06/22 06:15 PM

I had horses once
...went back to a 4 wheeler grin
Posted By: claycreech

Re: New horse - 09/06/22 06:40 PM

Them there hayburners are really good for things trapping related, it just takes some extra effort to get them in a jar.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: New horse - 09/06/22 06:46 PM

The one time I year I'd like to have a horse , is spring , when looking for shed horns

Otherwise I don't have any spare time for the long list of headaches
Posted By: Sharon

Re: New horse - 09/06/22 06:50 PM

Nice little palomino. Looks well balanced in front and rear axles.

Sometimes ranches have older ones that wouldnt mind giving a deal in cost for, especially if they know a good home awaits.

An ad in the local paper can yield good results, as well as your veterinarian and farrier.
Posted By: gwc

Re: New horse - 09/06/22 07:55 PM

Pretty horse;i like the saddle too.Is it a Billy Cook?I used to keep horses and loved my Billy cook saddle;really comfortable.

Re: New horse - 09/06/22 07:57 PM

Gwc the have no one idea what brand of saddle that is, lol that's the wife's and the just know how much I forked out for it.
Posted By: gwc

Re: New horse - 09/07/22 02:12 AM

Lol if its a Billy Cook it wasnt cheap.

Re: New horse - 09/07/22 05:55 PM

I'm not sure what expensive is or not lol lady Alicia rides with was $3200 that was crazy too me.

Re: New horse - 09/07/22 06:10 PM

I used to have a Billy Cook, years ago. I traded it in for a 1923 Hamley form fitter, with a semi Quarter tree. Much nicer , for me, safer, and with the semi tree size, it fit anyone, just using a felt pad. The BC was a full Quarter tree , low gullet, and that didn't do well at all with the variety of mules and horses I rode. BC is a good saddle , well-made, just wasn't the fit I wanted. Or the seat size, which was much too large for me.

Since then, I've found my fit , in Aussie gear. A crossbreed Australian semi Quarter tree, that won't kill the knees in all day rides. A deep seat and light in weight. I'll never use anything else, now.

Good saddles , built by top quality artists, are spendy, especially new. Even used , they are still a bit in cost, but as in other things, you get what you pay for. Safe , well-made gear is important. Like safety features in a car.
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: New horse - 09/07/22 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by salemtrapper
Not a big horse fan! But the wife and daughter and the wife wanted me to ride with her so we have been on the look out for one that I could ride and sissy can grow into. Sissy's horse is getting up in age and starting to get the ole author in her back leg. So we came across this 4 year old that will let anyone ride. Need [Linked Image]
to work on a few things like his backing up and keeping in trot for my liking but seems to be a pretty smart horse that he will figure out how I want things done. Brought him to the farm and my mom hopped on him, so he is grandma proof lol.

How does she get stopped, her feet won't reach the clutch.

Re: New horse - 09/07/22 08:14 PM

grin

The brakes are also in the steering.

Re: New horse - 09/07/22 08:36 PM

Lol the brakes are in the voice as well, tell him to stop and stand the horse stops. She has her own saddle but momma didn't want to switch them out just threw her on. The lady we bought him from rode bareback most of the time. She was actually mad at us because her saddle has what we call sticky butts, it Velcro her down, and mom wouldn't let her do anything more then walk the horse and she wanted to trot, she kept telling her mom but my sticky butts on I want to run! Momma said no way.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums