Home

School called me in

Posted By: west river rogue

School called me in - 09/06/22 04:09 PM

School just called me in. Advancing sal ahead a yr in math and ahead 5 yrs reading
Posted By: Computer Hater

Re: School called me in - 09/06/22 04:36 PM

That's awesome. Tell Sal congratulations!!!

I figured you got sent to the principal's office!! grin grin
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: School called me in - 09/06/22 04:37 PM

great smile
Posted By: mike mason

Re: School called me in - 09/06/22 04:43 PM

Congrats! Happy for you and Sal. Treat him to a good burger.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: School called me in - 09/06/22 04:50 PM

Congrats
the thing to watch for that I have seen with kids moved forward a year or more , is that they are no longer with kid their age

my wife got moved forward in 7th grade which put her at the high school across the street for a class a day she could do the work but wasn't ready for high school

my son got moved ahead in math a year as did some of his classmates, you can run into the issue that by senior year you are out of math classes to take and you need to be taking classes at a near by community college. with covid that was all a mess and didn't happen.

there is a fine line between then being ready academically and ready socially some are some are not , I wish Sol the best those are the items of concern.

Re: School called me in - 09/06/22 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
Congrats
the thing to watch for that I have seen with kids moved forward a year or more , is that they are no longer with kid their age

my wife got moved forward in 7th grade which put her at the high school across the street for a class a day she could do the work but wasn't ready for high school

my son got moved ahead in math a year as did some of his classmates, you can run into the issue that by senior year you are out of math classes to take and you need to be taking classes at a near by community college. with covid that was all a mess and didn't happen.

there is a fine line between then being ready academically and ready socially some are some are not , I wish Sol the best those are the items of concern.

I'm well aware a
And do fine without your advise,as I'm sure others do. Lol ppl
Posted By: Ed Patrick

Re: School called me in - 09/06/22 05:17 PM

GreeneCounty started his post with congratulations. He just related his experience. You never said you were aware of the issues he mentioned. Geez sounds like you need some advice on being cordial.
Posted By: EdP

Re: School called me in - 09/06/22 05:35 PM

GreeneCounty started his post with congratulations. He just related his experience. You never said you were aware of the issues he mentioned. Geez sounds like you need some advice on being cordial.

My thoughts exactly. Not a normal attitude from what I've seen from him though. GCP might have hit a sore spot just trying to be helpfull.
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: School called me in - 09/06/22 05:36 PM

He just needs some attaboys for his son I guess. Not any advice obviously

Re: School called me in - 09/06/22 06:16 PM

We have professionals here in the school who are as aware as I am of what to be careful of with my sons education. I take a very active part in my sons life and the school and i just discussed it in depth of the pro"s and cons of it. I think we can manage it,if not Ill surely ask advise from tman members on it. But first off Ill use the professionals advise then go from there. Im fortunate he got a scholarship to a very very well noted private school after 3 yrs in a terrible public school who let the kid sit there not being challenged.

Re: School called me in - 09/06/22 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by mike mason
Congrats! Happy for you and Sal. Treat him to a good burger.

Will do Mike!
Posted By: Getting There

Re: School called me in - 09/06/22 06:23 PM

WTG Sal! Great job Mom and Dad.

Re: School called me in - 09/06/22 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Computer Hater
That's awesome. Tell Sal congratulations!!!

I figured you got sent to the principal's office!! grin grin

Will do that Randy,he really appreciates it.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: School called me in - 09/06/22 06:28 PM

Congrats

Good advice , I started school early and graduated at 17

There can be some awkward situations once in highschool and always being the youngest in class

Re: School called me in - 09/06/22 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by AntiGov
Congrats

Good advice , I started school early and graduated at 17

There can be some awkward situations once in highschool and always being the youngest in class

Duly noted!
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: School called me in - 09/06/22 06:38 PM

Steve , it's fine. I tired to give to much advice it hit a nerve. maybe some one else can use it.

glad he is in a good private school , that can make a huge difference.

I know you take a very active role in Sol's life and schooling that is great.

most of my experience outside of home schooling is with public schools and in my experience with public schools , well some people have a calling to teach or be guidance councilors and the rest of them needed to do something to pay off the mountain of student debt they were in. they were good at being students and less so at teaching.

as for professionals I hope you have good ones , my oldest daughter was a 3.98 gpa student in high school 3rd in the class and the councilor had no clue who she even was until late Junior year when my wife started contacting her about things needed for college , if you weren't the right family or in the right sports she had no idea who you were. even if your picture had been up as top 5 in the class for 2 years. so my experience with academic Professionals both my own and with my kids is a lot like professional roofers it doesn't mean your roof won't leak just that you paid them to leave it that way and you might have to take them to small claims court to get it repaired.

Re: School called me in - 09/06/22 07:08 PM

Steve , it's fine. I tired to give to much advice it hit a nerve. maybe some one else can use it.

glad he is in a good private school , that can make a huge difference.

I know you take a very active role in Sol's life and schooling that is great.

most of my experience outside of home schooling is with public schools and in my experience with public schools , well some people have a calling to teach or be guidance councilors and the rest of them needed to do something to pay off the mountain of student debt they were in. they were good at being students and less so at teaching.

as for professionals I hope you have good ones , my oldest daughter was a 3.98 gpa student in high school 3rd in the class and the councilor had no clue who she even was until late Junior year when my wife started contacting her about things needed for college , if you weren't the right family or in the right sports she had no idea who you were. even if your picture had been up as top 5 in the class for 2 years. so my experience with academic Professionals both my own and with my kids is a lot like professional roofers it doesn't mean your roof won't leak just that you paid them to leave it that way and you might have to take them to small claims court to get it repaired.

truce......
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: School called me in - 09/06/22 07:33 PM

Sounds like that young man has earned his non high fructose corn syrup soda this week grin
Good job Sal
Posted By: G Hose

Re: School called me in - 09/06/22 08:19 PM

Congratulations to you both

Re: School called me in - 09/06/22 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Turtledale
Sounds like that young man has earned his non high fructose corn syrup soda this week grin
Good job Sal

He has!

Re: School called me in - 09/06/22 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by G Hose
Congratulations to you both

It's all him Gav. I read all these to him...big smile.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: School called me in - 09/06/22 08:24 PM

Very bright young man! And correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Steve is raising the child by himself. Mother is/was still in the Philippines.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: School called me in - 09/06/22 08:27 PM

I had 2 of my 4 Graduate 2 years of college before they Graduated HS a week later.

Social Challenges are easier for some than others.

Good Job bringing him up. Remember a lot of the School pros are Libs

Congratulations to Your Son.

Re: School called me in - 09/06/22 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
I had 2 of my 4 Graduate 2 years of college before they Graduated HS a week later.

no libs in catholic school here...public school was ALL libs!

Re: School called me in - 09/06/22 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Very bright young man! And correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Steve is raising the child by himself. Mother is/was still in the Philippines.

correct Gary! We have no contact from her. Him and I and the dog....thats us!
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: School called me in - 09/06/22 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by west river rogue
Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

no libs in catholic school here...public school was ALL libs!

Good Deal then.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: School called me in - 09/06/22 10:37 PM

Give that young man a pat on the back from this old Kraut. Well done

Re: School called me in - 09/06/22 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
Give that young man a pat on the back from this old Kraut. Well done

Done
Posted By: bhugo

Re: School called me in - 09/07/22 12:06 AM

Spectacular achievement. Keep it up kiddo!
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: School called me in - 09/07/22 03:44 AM

My father, a professional engineer, always regretted skipping the fourth grade. The details are fuzzy, maybe it was the third grade. Anyway, it was because he claimed he was never really comfortable with fractions.

In Sal's case, I wouldn't worry too much. I believe things have changed a bit from 1901 until now.

Re: School called me in - 09/07/22 11:08 AM

just a bit....... grin
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: School called me in - 09/07/22 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ed Patrick

X2
© 2024 Trapperman Forums