Home

New favorite type of hunting

Posted By: TheYouthTrapper

New favorite type of hunting - 09/08/22 03:15 AM

I tried dove hunting out today and I loved it so much, I bought 2 mojos and 4 regular decoys, and in 1 hour of hunting, I got 7 doves. The little 28 gauge Tri-Star I got last year for pheasants was dropping birds at a decent distance. My friend on the other hand hit a dove at 30+ yards away with his 12 gauge and that was awesome to watch. Overall a good experience and will be going back out Sunday because I don't have time for the next few days otherwise I would be out every evening. Thanks for reading!

-TheYouthTrapper
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: New favorite type of hunting - 09/08/22 03:54 AM

Fun to hunt and good eating too !!
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: New favorite type of hunting - 09/08/22 03:55 AM

Nice !
Posted By: Flicker Shad

Re: New favorite type of hunting - 09/08/22 08:31 AM

Wrap the breasts in bacon and grill.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: New favorite type of hunting - 09/08/22 09:15 AM

sounds like a good day where are the pic?
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: New favorite type of hunting - 09/08/22 10:55 AM

Nothing like shooting dinner on the wing, sounds like you had a great time. 28 g. Is fun to shoot and won't wear you out
Posted By: micheal

Re: New favorite type of hunting - 09/08/22 11:34 AM

Good eating
Posted By: Trapset

Re: New favorite type of hunting - 09/08/22 12:53 PM

Good deal!

You might want to try and sneak out b4 Sunday. There is a cold front coming Fri/Sat that will likely move them south over night. They disappear fast in my experience. Might be another batch coming through after this one moves on though. If it warms up they hang around, if it’s cool they just keep going south.
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: New favorite type of hunting - 09/08/22 01:12 PM

A while back seemed like the only shells available here was 28 ga.

Last time I went dove hunting there was 3 of us. One guy shot 2 with one shot as they crossed. I thought that had to be a one in a million chance and then not 10 minutes later I did the same thing.
Posted By: rattrapper1234

Re: New favorite type of hunting - 09/08/22 03:29 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tommie

Re: New favorite type of hunting - 09/08/22 04:17 PM

[Linked Image]
A quick 1hour and 1/2 hunt me and my oldest son had Monday in between rain showers at the house .
Posted By: Crowfoot

Re: New favorite type of hunting - 09/08/22 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Foxpaw

Last time I went dove hunting there was 3 of us. One guy shot 2 with one shot as they crossed. I thought that had to be a one in a million chance and then not 10 minutes later I did the same thing.

Was either one the one you were aiming at ? whistle
Or, maybe the were ... uh, no. They do that in the spring blush
smile
Just funnin', I've had that happen too.
Posted By: Crowfoot

Re: New favorite type of hunting - 09/08/22 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by rattrapper1234
[Linked Image]

Dang ! That looks like pert near 50 birds ....NICE !
(I guess the other pickup is full of all the other hulls grin )
Nice !
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: New favorite type of hunting - 09/08/22 04:44 PM

I love some dove hunting too! We shot an even 50 here opening morning. Fried catfish for lunch and invited everyone's family over. A yearly tradition I won't miss for anything!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: New favorite type of hunting - 09/08/22 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by TheYouthTrapper
I tried dove hunting out today and I loved it so much, I bought 2 mojos and 4 regular decoys, and in 1 hour of hunting, I got 7 doves. The little 28 gauge Tri-Star I got last year for pheasants was dropping birds at a decent distance. My friend on the other hand hit a dove at 30+ yards away with his 12 gauge and that was awesome to watch. Overall a good experience and will be going back out Sunday because I don't have time for the next few days otherwise I would be out every evening. Thanks for reading!

-TheYouthTrapper

Good job! Bird hunting is fun!
Posted By: RHuff

Re: New favorite type of hunting - 09/08/22 06:51 PM

I go out two or three times a week. Hunting a mowed sweet corn patch tonight.

Re: New favorite type of hunting - 09/08/22 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Flicker Shad
Wrap the breasts in bacon and grill.

Yep, need to do that but haven't had time to get around to it.

Re: New favorite type of hunting - 09/09/22 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Trapper Dahlgren
sounds like a good day where are the pic?

Hard to take pics when you're shooting birds, will try next time to get a cam on the end of the barrel.

Re: New favorite type of hunting - 09/09/22 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Turtledale
Nothing like shooting dinner on the wing, sounds like you had a great time. 28 g. Is fun to shoot and won't wear you out

Mine likes to buck quite a bit but I'll get used to it soon.

Re: New favorite type of hunting - 09/09/22 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Trapset
Good deal!

You might want to try and sneak out b4 Sunday. There is a cold front coming Fri/Sat that will likely move them south overnight. They disappear fast in my experience. Might be another batch coming through after this one moves on though. If it warms up they hang around, if it’s cool they just keep going south.

Was busy tonight packing for the convention and got school tomorrow and right to the convention after that and will be there all day Saturday, so Sunday is my only shot right now. It still seems to be pretty warm the next few days.

Re: New favorite type of hunting - 09/09/22 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Foxpaw

I haven't had any trouble finding shells of anything but that's just me. I hope I can get better at shooting took me 6 shells to take down the first bird.

Re: New favorite type of hunting - 09/09/22 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by rattrapper1234

Nice!

Re: New favorite type of hunting - 09/09/22 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by coondagger2
I love some dove hunting too! We shot an even 50 here opening morning. Fried catfish for lunch and invited everyone's family over. A yearly tradition I won't miss for anything!

Another good haul!

Re: New favorite type of hunting - 09/09/22 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Tommie

A quick 1hour and 1/2 hunt me and my oldest son had Monday in between rain showers at the house .

I wish my German Shepherd would be a little calmer, so I could teach her to retrieve birds but I'm working on it.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: New favorite type of hunting - 09/09/22 12:08 AM

For only 14 you have some serious money. Every time you post you’ve bought something. What do you do for a living besides school?
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: New favorite type of hunting - 09/09/22 12:43 AM

How do you guys hunt doves? I hunted them one time
On a sunflower field but I haven’t seen one near me in a few years.
What type of field and how do you decoy them in?
Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: New favorite type of hunting - 09/09/22 12:49 AM

Very cool, there is no dove season in Michigan

Re: New favorite type of hunting - 09/09/22 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by NE Wildlife
How do you guys hunt doves? I hunted them one time
On a sunflower field but I haven’t seen one near me in a few years.
What type of field and how do you decoy them in?

This is my first year but right now I'm on a wheat stubble field where they baled straw and I'm sitting against the bales with 2 mojos and 4 regular decoys out about 30-40 yards with my back against the bales. They have tried landing in the decoys multiple times and have also succeeded multiple times.

Re: New favorite type of hunting - 09/09/22 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by John-Chagnon
Very cool, there is no dove season in Michigan

You're missing out for sure.

Re: New favorite type of hunting - 09/09/22 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
For only 14 you have some serious money. Every time you post you’ve bought something. What do you do for a living besides school?

Odd jobs, My dad helped me afford quite a bit before I got started working but for the last 3 years, I have been doing odd jobs during the late spring to early fall and have made a lot of money doing it. About 25$ an hour or sometimes up to 50$ an hour mowing yards. During the first year of covid when we had 6 months of summer, I probably made over 3 grand. Last year was a bad year for me and I only made around 200$ since we had no rain which meant no lawns growing and people could upkeep themselves. This year was a pretty average year for me making a little more than 1 grand but buying my own gas, traps, etc has dropped that money down quite a bit. I still have yards that I'm mowing every week to two weeks and still waiting for leaves to drop then the money really starts rolling in since no one wants to deal with them. Hopefully this explains it all, if you have anymore questions I'm willing to answer them.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: New favorite type of hunting - 09/09/22 02:20 AM

Hunted them a lot outside of Ellendale ND. In the 80's

Lots of fun
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: New favorite type of hunting - 09/09/22 09:37 AM

good to see a young man that's is willing to work , I mowed a lawn a day when I was young guy, i always had money

Re: New favorite type of hunting - 09/09/22 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper Dahlgren
good to see a young man that's is willing to work , I mowed a lawn a day when I was young guy, i always had money

I like to work and feel weird not working, I need to get more jobs though before winter.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums