Home

TV ...times have changed

Posted By: 330-Trapper

TV ...times have changed - 09/08/22 01:10 PM

A boy watches television for the first time through a shop window, 1948.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: TV ...times have changed - 09/08/22 01:13 PM

Excellent!
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: TV ...times have changed - 09/08/22 01:19 PM

Is that Alfalfa ? smile
Posted By: SJA

Re: TV ...times have changed - 09/08/22 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
Is that Alfalfa ? smile

No.
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: TV ...times have changed - 09/08/22 01:23 PM

I remember my mom and sisters would go window shopping at night when the stores were closed. Money was scarce and they spent a lot of time deciding what they really wanted to buy.

They also spent a lot of winter days thumbing thru the Sears catalogue, my dad called it their wish book. You always wanted to be sure to order at least once a year so you would be sure to get a new catalogue next year. The old catalogue had use at the out house.

Re: TV ...times have changed - 09/08/22 01:27 PM

I remember the wish book
Posted By: charles

Re: TV ...times have changed - 09/08/22 01:29 PM

I can remember seeing TV from a store window as a child.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: TV ...times have changed - 09/08/22 01:29 PM

Do you remember when they was selling cable T.V. They said you would not have any commercials because you are paying for the service. Ya right.
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: TV ...times have changed - 09/08/22 01:36 PM

My family's first color TV was purchased by my two older brothers in 1969 They wanted to watch the Super Bowl in color so they went together an got a new color TV That was the years Joe Namath guaranteed the Jets would beat the Colts

Re: TV ...times have changed - 09/08/22 02:15 PM

I remember watching cowboy shows on saturday morning with our first B/W TV. That was in 1954 I think.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: TV ...times have changed - 09/08/22 02:31 PM

Just missing the aluminum foil grin
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BigBob

Re: TV ...times have changed - 09/08/22 02:46 PM

Howdy Doody and Mickey Mouse, every boy had a major crush for Annett. W were not allowed to watch the 3 Stooges, too violent, or Hogans Hero's, nothing funny about Nazi's.
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: TV ...times have changed - 09/08/22 02:50 PM

Space patrol was the first tv show I remember. Bob Steel was one of the cowboys I remember. I guess because I went to school with one of his sons and every time I went to his house he would be watching movies of his dad. I lived on the other side of the tracks from him though!
Posted By: waggler

Re: TV ...times have changed - 09/08/22 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by BigBob
Howdy Doody and Mickey Mouse, every boy had a major crush for Annett. W were not allowed to watch the 3 Stooges, too violent, or Hogans Hero's, nothing funny about Nazi's.

My uncle hated Hogan's Heros. He had been Nazi POW during WW2. He said there was nothing funny about it.
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: TV ...times have changed - 09/08/22 03:19 PM

I don’t think a boy that age, now days, even owns a suit!
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: TV ...times have changed - 09/08/22 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by w side rd 151
My family's first color TV was purchased by my two older brothers in 1969 They wanted to watch the Super Bowl in color so they went together an got a new color TV That was the years Joe Namath guaranteed the Jets would beat the Colts

I remember that day well, I was discharged from the Army in San Francisco, they made an announcement that the Jets won.
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: TV ...times have changed - 09/08/22 05:12 PM

Nittany First of all thank you for your service .We lived about an hour from Baltimore so many people thought of the Colts as their home team . Plus Namath was a young brash quarterback bragging how the Jets where a sure thing. He was able to produce what he said he would but my brothers and many others sure did not like the outcome of Super Bowl III

Re: TV ...times have changed - 09/08/22 10:25 PM

I watched the Moon landing on our B&W Zenith Television
Posted By: rpmartin

Re: TV ...times have changed - 09/08/22 10:55 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: TV ...times have changed - 09/08/22 10:56 PM

When we got rid of the Rabbit Ears and put up a Roof Antenna,,I was sent up on the roof many times to "Spin" the antenna a bit so a channel would come in more clear.Had a "Party Line" phone too.You would pick up your phone and someome would already be talking on it. smile
Posted By: trapdye

Re: TV ...times have changed - 09/08/22 11:11 PM

When we bought our first house in 1983, It still had a party line.
Posted By: Flicker Shad

Re: TV ...times have changed - 09/09/22 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Eagleye
Just missing the aluminum foil grin
[Linked Image]

I remember these rabbit ears.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: TV ...times have changed - 09/09/22 10:28 AM

Kids don't watch much TV anymore.
Because technology advances us humans don't ya know....

Today kids are;

[Linked Image]

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: camlock

Re: TV ...times have changed - 09/09/22 10:52 AM

We had a small black and white tv with rabbit ears. Later on my father bought a color television. I can remember the vacuum tube replacement shelf at the corner neighborhood store.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: TV ...times have changed - 09/10/22 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by camlock
We had a small black and white tv with rabbit ears. Later on my father bought a color television. I can remember the vacuum tube replacement shelf at the corner neighborhood store.

I remember the T.V. Repairman coming out and replacing some tubes.
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: TV ...times have changed - 09/10/22 03:05 PM

The market had a tube tester and I frequented it!
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: TV ...times have changed - 09/10/22 03:12 PM

I remember watching cowboy shows on saturday morning with our first B/W TV. That was in 1954 I think.

Me too. Plus Davy Crockett with Fess Parker around 1954.
Posted By: Mark K

Re: TV ...times have changed - 09/10/22 07:06 PM

I don't even have a TV any more. Haven't had it for decades. Turns out the Newton Minnow was right after all.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: TV ...times have changed - 09/10/22 07:18 PM

I was handed down my family's black and white TV when I moved out on my own at 17. I figured I'd upgrade to a color set when it died. It was still working fine in the mid-eighties when my then girlfriend, now wife made me buy a color TV.

Does anyone remember when TV stations would play the national anthem before signing off?

Re: TV ...times have changed - 09/10/22 07:30 PM

Dang Lugnut you are old if you remember the sign off music. I do quite vividly. Black and White times.

I think I use to hear that after watching late nite Chillie Billie Cardille of Chiller Theater. A few buddies use to get together and watch the spooky and outer space stuff.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: TV ...times have changed - 09/11/22 12:13 AM

Doesn't seem like it was that long ago to me. grin
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: TV ...times have changed - 09/12/22 04:29 AM

Dang Lugnut you are old if you remember the sign off music. I do quite vividly. Black and White times.

I think I use to hear that after watching late nite Chillie Billie Cardille of Chiller Theater. A few buddies use to get together and watch the spooky and outer space stuff.

Bob, when I lived in SW PA, I remember watching Chillie Billie. He was a local celebrity. By coincidence, when I was in Las Vegas in 1978, Chillie and the black haired young girl on his program sat two tables from me at a Vegas show but that is another story since I don’t think I was supposed to see him.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums