Home

much needed day

Posted By: adam m

much needed day - 09/11/22 05:33 AM

Wanted to go camping but with the week I had that wasn't possible. So the kids and I went out to fish today. On our way I decided to go to a national preserve with the hopes fishing would be still allowed for the year. The same preserve my daughter had her 1st hunt a couple yrs back. Where she froze up on a few shots of cow elks.

Lush and green, flowers in bloom all the way up.

The preserve was still allowing fishing. We made the 15 mile journey through it. Kept telling the kids be on the look out for elk eagles hawks fox etc....Not much on the way in.

We get to one very narrow stream but too narrow and windy. Maybe 1' at its widest. We moved to another spot, and the kids finally got in the rhythm of the stream, I'm finally sitting in the grass enjoying the lush tall grass and scenery listening to the stream flow then it started pouring. No Fish.
We journey to the exit in the downpour and the wildlife starts moving. Red Tail Hawk landed and perched on top of a small Ponderosa Pine. We stopped and enjoyed it. Continue on a couple miles there is a heard of 4 elk at the tree line. We watched them graze hoping to hear a bugle it was raining cats and dogs at this point got some decent pics and videos. No bugle. Continue
We get near the exit, there is another heard of maybe a dz elk no bugles.
As my near the exit I notice 1 heard of elk of about 18 then I look to the left and there is a heard of about 50 elk and several bulls bugling. Kids didn't want to get out and enjoy the beauty of the bugles. Meanwhile I stood there in the rain taking video and pics enjoying every thunderous screech of the bulls and every drop of rain while standing in the tall meadow grass. Listening watching a few big bulls move the big heard closer to the smaller heard. No fights. Rained for next 20 miles then cleared up. It was a much needed day for all of us.

Pics to come later. No close ups of the elk.They were 500+ yds away and only had my cellphone.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: much needed day - 09/11/22 06:44 AM

Magical!
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: much needed day - 09/11/22 10:17 AM

sounds like a good day
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: much needed day - 09/11/22 12:22 PM

Sounds like a great time with the kids
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: much needed day - 09/11/22 01:37 PM

That's Awesome!!!
Posted By: micheal

Re: much needed day - 09/11/22 01:46 PM

Nice
Posted By: Getting There

Re: much needed day - 09/11/22 01:53 PM

A day with the kids & wildlife cannot be any better!
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: much needed day - 09/11/22 02:52 PM

Making memories!

Re: much needed day - 09/11/22 03:45 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Chuckles84

Re: much needed day - 09/11/22 04:44 PM

Sounds like a great day. My kids dont quite understand what just walking through the woods watching and listening to nature can do for a person. My favorite part of deer season is being in the tree before sun up and being able to watch Gods creation awake as the sun rises.

Re: much needed day - 09/11/22 08:23 PM

Exactly guys.
My kids are getting to the point where they are understanding what medicine it is and why "I'm home" in the mountains.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums