Home

Bull meat

Posted By: 330-Trapper

Bull meat - 09/12/22 08:08 PM

Is Ground bull meat strong tasting?

Is it bad?
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Bull meat - 09/12/22 08:11 PM

Normally just dry and a little rubbery. How much depends on how old they are and what kind of condition they are in
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Bull meat - 09/12/22 08:14 PM

Normally need tallow from a fat beef to mix with it or it can be too lean to fry. At least a mature bull
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Bull meat - 09/12/22 08:42 PM

I haven't gotten any to butcher but my last 2 salvage cows were LEAN they weren't putting on any weight hardly any fat on them one had serious water retention issues and was blind and the other I think a very twisted up stomach and the meat is fine , they were young

I'd cut it and grind it , I bet it is edible and if not you have a day invested in finding out

cubed and canned I am not sure you could get a cow or bull not edible.

sure would be nice to work on a cow/bull not covered in mud and manure for once but free meat is free meat , that is why it is salvage
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Bull meat - 09/12/22 09:04 PM

Hot dogs and bologna is the main use of bull meat. Young bulls with good fat can make burger

Re: Bull meat - 09/12/22 09:56 PM

Just considering making / selling burger
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Bull meat - 09/12/22 11:45 PM

Best steaks I ever had a long with other cuts was from an 1800 pound Holstein bull. We grained him a lot along with pasture. He never had cows around him. I sold half and they loved it. Wasn't strong at all. I have raised worse meat from cut Angus and simmentals.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Bull meat - 09/12/22 11:53 PM

The people we used to buy breeding bulls from would only eat bull meat, they said as long as they never worked they were fine, if you’re just grinding it I would think it shouldn’t be too bad in hamburger you buy in a store there’s probably bull meat in it, usually packers don’t care where the meat comes from as long as it’s cheap it grinds.

Re: Bull meat - 09/12/22 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Just considering making / selling burger

back-straps and tenderloins always seem worth saving , biscuit probably on a bull of that size

grind the rest

and don't forget the OX tail and Soup bones , so may soup bones
Posted By: Sledgehammer

Re: Bull meat - 09/13/22 12:02 AM

Best bet is to get a steer that identifies as a bull. grin
Posted By: ABeardedTrapper

Re: Bull meat - 09/13/22 01:00 AM

Had a bull break his hip when he slipped breeding a cow. Had a Vet check him out. There was no saving him she said to butcher him. Had him ground into burger very tasty and no strong taste or odor while cooking. Eric
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Bull meat - 09/13/22 01:16 AM

A friend of mine, who retired from the Agricultural Science Department at Ohio State, who now raises beef cattle, told me that most cull, older Angus bulls are sold ground up at fast food restaurants that serve certified Angus beef.

Keith
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Bull meat - 09/13/22 01:19 AM

My Uncle used to raise a young bull solely for butchering. He preferred it.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Bull meat - 09/13/22 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
Normally need tallow from a fat beef to mix with it or it can be too lean to fry. At least a mature bull

X2
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Bull meat - 09/13/22 02:16 AM

And there'speople in the world that will eat bugs to survive .
We're getting TOO -spoiled!
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Bull meat - 09/13/22 02:46 AM

Golden arches special.....certified AAA beef
Posted By: gcs

Re: Bull meat - 09/13/22 03:17 PM

I went to a cattle auction many years ago, the cull, broke down, busted hip dairy cows were bid up by buyers that sold ground meat to the fast food industry, as long as they could get the cow to the ring it was all good.I can assure you most of those cows had no fat and were highly stressed...but McDonalds got cheap meat....Can't imagine a youngish bull could be worse then that.

Re: Bull meat - 09/13/22 10:37 PM

[img]https://trapperman.com/forum/attach...0-150563-blackjack_2022_july_800x635.jpg[/img

This is our Bull he bred 3 cows this year and is 4
We can not get a butcher date until spring 2023

Or he'll breed the 3 cows again and we'll decide then.

* crowheart. I'd take that bull also[Linked Image]
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Bull meat - 09/13/22 10:55 PM

I like bull meat the best. A young bull fed like a steer is my favorite. People eat old bull moose, old bull elk, old bull bison and they brag how great it is and those animals live much tougher lives.
Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

Re: Bull meat - 09/13/22 11:27 PM

It all depends on ageing, and how it's put up.
Had beef that tastes like cardboard , used a marinade , it was better.
Had venison that others wouldn't eat after marinating , yet loved it with just butter,salt and pepper.
I've never had a problem with any beef that we butchered on the farm by ourselves.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Bull meat - 09/14/22 12:37 AM

I feel people brag about how good deer, elk and moose is to help justify hunting. I have ate plenty of wild game, I never had any that I thought was as good as good beef. I have ate venison from deer in rut that you could smell across the yard when cooking it in the house. It was rank, like a boar hog. I ate ground beef bull that was good that had steer fat added to it. I am pretty sure they even band bulls that age and make them into steers and have heard that mellows them out.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Bull meat - 09/14/22 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by MJM
I feel people brag about how good deer, elk and moose is to help justify hunting. I have ate plenty of wild game, I never had any that I thought was as good as good beef. I have ate venison from deer in rut that you could smell across the yard when cooking it in the house. It was rank, like a boar hog. I ate ground beef bull that was good that had steer fat added to it. I am pretty sure they even band bulls that age and make them into steers and have heard that mellows them out.

WOW,,thats YOUR opinion.I don't agree.First off,,why do you think anyone needs to "justify" their hunting.Second,,I enjoy a nice choice prime rib,,,but also enjoy many other meats because they DO have a different flavor.I have had Elk Backstraps charcoaled,,that would rival any choice New York Strip Steak.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Bull meat - 09/14/22 03:42 PM

Give me a 150lb bear that's been eating g corn/sunflowers and I'm a happy man.

Re: Bull meat - 09/14/22 03:43 PM

Just looking at financial options. Not a fight
Posted By: DHH

Re: Bull meat - 09/14/22 05:49 PM

Going off the picture he's to agy to make a cutting bull . But still has good muscle expression so will yield pretty decent . Not the biggest framed but would guess his weight at 1,750# plus or minus . As of lately he'd be worth .95-1.10 a pound live weight . If decide to sell at auction I'd get him gone sooner than later . Before the market slip's going into fall . Or keep him around till spring and direct market . If so I'd plan ahead to have butcher be ready to add white fat to the grind so not too dry a burger

Re: Bull meat - 09/14/22 05:59 PM

Why are butcher dates so far behind?Covid put them that far behind?That sucks.

Re: Bull meat - 09/14/22 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by upstateNY

Why are butcher dates so far behind?Covid put them that far behind?That sucks.

a variety of things has caused it

more small producers raising some beef and pigs for sale as 1/2s and 1/4s to friends and family

increased demand for better quality meat

people realizing they could get better prices for their stock if they sold locally to what probably started out as friends and family and grew to friends of friends , family of family and neighbors and acquaintances maybe even local FB boards and such.
you can get the price the big processor wants to pay everyone , were they have a healthy margin figured in or you can sell for a better price to someone who then also pays the butcher what they want for the processing to get custom cuts

fewer processors who also have issues with labor like everyone else

even pre covid you best book your hogs a butcher date the day you bought them now you get your butcher slots then order as many pigs than slots maybe 2 more pigs than slots

covid just pushed the issue along some

if you get the word out you buy animals or salvage animals that won't make their butcher dates or are in excess of the butcher slots there is some good meat to be had.

of course you then have to cut them yourself.

Re: Bull meat - 09/14/22 06:23 PM

Ok,,that makes sense Pete.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Bull meat - 09/14/22 06:59 PM

Shoot, bring him down here Scott. I'll butcher him for ya for a small portion of the meat, say 1/2? laugh It can't be much different from a big hog to butcher, right? I've done that 30 some years ago. lol

Re: Bull meat - 09/14/22 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Shoot, bring him down here Scott. I'll butcher him for ya for a small portion of the meat, say 1/2? laugh It can't be much different from a big hog to butcher, right? I've done that 30 some years ago. lol

just like Really big deer processing

other than you split them down the spine like a pig so that they will cool fast

I have only done cows figure 1500 pound bull is going to need a bit bigger tractor bucket to lift it but other than that
Posted By: Okie Farmer

Re: Bull meat - 09/14/22 09:17 PM

Feed him and butcher him, he'll make better meat if gaining weight. It will be lean and may need added fat.

Re: Bull meat - 09/14/22 09:26 PM

I'm saving my Hog fat to possibly be added to the bulls grind if we get it done.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Bull meat - 09/14/22 11:01 PM

I know a guy in MS that puts a boar hog caught in the wild and castrated into a pen and fattens them on grain for six weeks. He claims they are as good as farm raised . Maybe it’s not too late to cut him ?
Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

Re: Bull meat - 09/14/22 11:29 PM

Even before covid , local farmers were booked two plus years in advance.
There weren't enough kill and butcher establishments around.
Noticed that some closed kill and butcher establishments have reopened in the last year.
Meat prices are still high in areas. BEST price I could get a year ago was $ 3.99 a lb hanging weight .
And 16 months at maybe a butcher date.
Posted By: Snyde901

Re: Bull meat - 09/14/22 11:45 PM

I'm saving my Hog fat to possibly be added to the bulls grind if we get it done.

I wouldn't mix pork & beef for a couple reasons, main one being alot of people don't cook there burger to higher temperatures recommended for pork.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Bull meat - 09/14/22 11:47 PM

Scott keep in mind if you add pork tallow you won't be able to cook it as rare as I like beef

Re: Bull meat - 09/15/22 12:59 AM

Probably make some good beef sticks, huh LL? wink
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Bull meat - 09/15/22 01:32 AM

This thread is aging just like in aging the beef.
DOTI
don't over think it

Re: Bull meat - 09/15/22 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Northof50
DOTI
don't over think it

Well don't open the thread then...
I myself have enjoyed all the different ideas.
And very valid points

Re: Bull meat - 09/15/22 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Northof50
DOTI
don't over think it

Well don't open the thread then...
I myself have enjoyed all the different ideas.
And very valid points

Pfft, you completely ignored mine. laugh

Re: Bull meat - 09/15/22 02:12 AM

50% loss or payment. Hmmmmmm sorry Man.

Re: Bull meat - 09/15/22 02:20 AM

Well I didn't see anyone else offering to help you out. grin
Posted By: VaBeagler

Re: Bull meat - 09/15/22 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by MJM

I completely agree. I'm not ashamed to admit that I don't like the gamey taste of wild meat.
I killed a big 10 point white tail in full rut. Walked in stiff legged and neck was as big around as a five gallon bucket.
Just about ended me from eating venison. It tasted just like a billy goat smells.
Now I only kill does or button bucks by accident. I get mine with black powder before dogs run them to death and we can kill either gender.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums