Home

What are you going to trap?

Posted By: Fisher Man

What are you going to trap? - 09/14/22 01:11 PM

With today's fur prices are you going trap and if so what species? I will not trap mink or rats.
Posted By: Jerry Jr.

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/14/22 01:17 PM

I am gonna trap whatever is dumb enough to step on my pan. Gonna target K9s, bobcat, fisher, coon and probably throw out a couple mink sets. Not doing it for the money, doing it because I enjoy doing it.
Posted By: Terry C

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/14/22 01:22 PM

I can't be picky. In previous seasons I have caught a lot of coon. I hope to get other species this season in addition to the coon. There is no money in east coast pelts. I do keep the hides for crafts and projects. Nothing goes to waste.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/14/22 01:24 PM

Just nuisance beavers..and get paid
Posted By: micheal

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/14/22 01:33 PM

Whatever steps on pan
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/14/22 01:35 PM

Some of this and some of that....

A little bit of anything and everything.

Not a whole lot but enough to scratch the itch
Posted By: DWC

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/14/22 02:20 PM

Enough coyote sets to run a short loop with the boy on our way to daycare. Dozen sets probably.
Posted By: shanemoss

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/14/22 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Fisher Man
With today's fur prices are you going trap and if so what species? I will not trap mink or rats.

Bout all I ever trap is beaver and coyotes. This year I'm gonna catch some mink...or try. Never targeted mink in 50 years but I've seen more mink this summer than you can shake a stick at! Quite a few colors as well. I'm told it's because of all the mink farms that were around here in South wi. Might make me a set of luxurious mink overalls.....just for clubbin' and stuff. Lol
Posted By: bblwi

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/14/22 02:43 PM

Where I live we don't have any beaver, I don't have a cat tag, I have a fisher tag and we can catch 2 otter. We also don't have any good cats here so the species we have here
are rats, coon, coyote, red fox, mink, which I will run lines for those species roughly in the order I listed them as to time and effort spent. Been real dry here so many rat areas have no rats. Plenty of coon but need to wait about 3 weeks on those. We have low grade coyotes here and decent reds.

Bryce
Posted By: Muskratwalt

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/14/22 03:05 PM

I will start out with rats then go to a few mink and later try to fill my Fisher and Otter tags. Maybe a few coyotes mixed in. Damage control Beaver are also on the agenda. Will try to trap only Prime mink and they will probably go in the freezer waiting for price increases.
Posted By: Squash

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/14/22 03:50 PM

Just nuisance beaver on my own land.
Posted By: Tom Fisher

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/14/22 04:28 PM

Coyotes,cats,beaver maybe a ringtail and fox. Gonna be a late start, have some new ideas to play with plus i bought a foot snare to try.(Select-a-catch)
Posted By: Gulo

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/14/22 04:31 PM

I've got a small "niche market" for taxidermy-skinned critters. I'll do same as normal, with a few red fox, coyotes, marten, and striped skunks. Also a few muskrats mainly for carcasses for marten bait. Can't imagine not trapping!

Jack
Posted By: walleyed

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/14/22 04:32 PM

Big thanks to you, AL for leaving all your rats for me !!!! laugh

walleyed
Posted By: Coon Duke

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/14/22 04:41 PM

I will trap what makes me happy and that is fox and mink. You won’t see me after raccoon, beaver or coyote much as the fun stops the second they hit the truck box.
Posted By: hippie

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/14/22 04:56 PM

I have a need for a handful of Rats and Mink, but will not trap for market at these prices yet.
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/14/22 05:17 PM

I will trap coyotes for two landowners. Fox on a couple game lands. And always run a mink & beaver line. All my furs will be tanned this tear, which i tan myself
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/14/22 05:32 PM

Everything and as many as possible.
Posted By: steeltraps

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/14/22 05:43 PM

Coyotes 365 LOL!
Posted By: KeithC

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/14/22 06:33 PM

I'm going to trap raccoons, opossums, skunks and mink on my farm, just to keep their numbers low, so they leave my birds and fruit alone. I don't plan on selling any of them. They are to close to worthless to waste time putting up. I'll probably donate them to Wilmington College again.

Keith
Posted By: mike mason

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/14/22 07:19 PM

Can't wait to trap that October fisher! NOT
Posted By: 20scout

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/14/22 07:44 PM

I have a few small goals I'm going to try and fill. Been a long time since I've trapped any mink or weasel so that is on my list. Never caught a coyote with a long spring and hope work on another bobcat. But for the most part I'll be trapping for fun unless I get a call for some ADC work.
Posted By: ks wolfer

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/14/22 07:50 PM

coyotes and more coyotes !

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/14/22 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by walleyed

Big thanks to you, AL for leaving all your rats for me !!!! laugh

walleyed

You will have to split them with your partner Baldie! smirk

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/14/22 08:09 PM

Mr.Walleyed,

You are welcome to them. Hope you can find a buyer for those blue rats.

Al

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/14/22 08:11 PM

Mike,

Is Baldie that book writer?

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/14/22 08:13 PM

Yes, Walleyed blood brother!
Posted By: Wild_WI

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/14/22 08:24 PM

I'm getting after the coon and hopefully a few coyote and fox. Coon population is out of control here

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/14/22 08:25 PM

Al, did you ever try for marten?
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/14/22 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by steeltraps
Coyotes 365 LOL!

Do you get paid for incidentals or is your pan tension high enough to avoid almost everything but coyotes?
Posted By: TheYouthTrapper

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/14/22 09:07 PM

Rats, mink, and weasels, I like catching them and can still get paid for every single one. But for the most part, I do it because it makes me happy and I enjoy doing it.

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/14/22 09:49 PM

Mike,
I've put out a marten set from time to time, but they are just too far away to drive to.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/14/22 10:10 PM

Beaver and Otter.

Moosetrot
Posted By: rick olson

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/14/22 10:13 PM

I'll trap a few coyotes and a fox or two that get into the coyote sets,a couple bobcats later in the season,I will donate them to our MN Tanned Fur Project.
Posted By: Slipknot

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/14/22 10:33 PM

Coyotes fox and Bobcats

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/14/22 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by mike mason
Yes, Walleyed's blood brother!

Pustin Arse-on-Monday will be too busy
re-organizing UNITED TRAPPERS
to have any time for trapping anything. laugh

walleyed

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/14/22 11:08 PM

Mr.Walleyed,

Al

No more blue rat trapping since your buddy
Johnny Sneakums closed that week of rat season !! smile

w
Posted By: Snyderbwh

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/14/22 11:11 PM

I'm targeting coyotes and Bobcat this year, I realize the fur isn't worth anything but I still enjoy it.

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/14/22 11:25 PM

Mr.Walleyed,

Al

w

Truthfully, do you see any difference in the quality of the rats?
Posted By: newfox1

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/14/22 11:31 PM

BEAVER,and a few OTTER.

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/14/22 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by mike mason

w

Truthfully, do you see any difference in the quality of the rats?

Of course not.

But that was the JTI Chairman's lame excuse for cutting
a week's worth of good weather trapping off our fall season.

No more blue muskrat now to clog up the rat market !!! LMAO

walleyed
Posted By: Bob

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/15/22 12:28 AM

Same as always. Coyote, kit fox, gray fox, red fox, and if I’m lucky a couple bobcat. More than likely get some striped skunk and civet cats in the mix, probably badgers, and I might make a weasel box to toss in along the way for fun. Prices have never dictated how/if I trap.
Posted By: foxhunter52

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/15/22 12:41 AM

We'll set for cats again and probably pick up a dozen coyotes in the process. Thing is, our coyotes are always worth $50 plus whatever you can get for heavy and semi heavy pelts. Still hoping to cover expenses plus a little this year. We'll see what western cats bring.
Posted By: strike2x

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/15/22 12:44 PM

I will set for everything just like always. Beaver is supposed to be the best bang for the buck in my area besides cats but we only get one cat tag. Parvo has been present in the area so coyote may be harder to find this year.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/15/22 01:01 PM

Every fox in the county.

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/15/22 02:29 PM

Setting an October fisher season in New York's southern tier is one of the dumbest things DEC ever did. Total disregard for harvesting this resource when it is not prime.They have a record of dumb things: when are they going to reopen the closed otter season in the Mohawk Valley and Catskill areas they closed over 20 years ago? When will they open the otter season in the southern tier; secret deals? When will they give Adirondack trappers a decent fisher season? They shortened it, but on the wrong end! Brilliant. They ask trappers for skulls, carcasses, log books, and beaver meat, but refuse to meet them half way on seasons!
Posted By: nh toe pincher

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/15/22 04:20 PM

nuisance beaver & mice. nothing else. no money, no trappy, not worth it.
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/15/22 04:22 PM

I'll do some of these

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/15/22 09:39 PM

Always like seeing pics of animals i never trapped so i can see what terrain they prefer.
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/17/22 09:58 PM

Mid winter beavers, and a few marten.
Posted By: trapdye

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/18/22 01:12 AM

Fisherman, It bite's my arse that NYSDEC could not open a December Fisher season in the Adirondacks, November 1-30 is still to early. I to have helped with information about skulls, logs, stomach contents & carcesses witch only lead to a changed season because of DEC said lower Fisher numbers, not because the Fisher numbers are down, It's trapper are not trapping Fisher that are not primed up & sickening low prices. DEC only looks at county & town Fisher numbers. I am the only one in the last twenty years that's traps Fisher in the town I'm in & three other towns around me. Because of early season & prices, My town & the other three that I trap have had zero as far as catches on DEC records. It's not just me, Other Fisher trappers have also not trapped for the same reasons.
Posted By: VaBeagler

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/18/22 05:59 AM

Coyotes. And only coyotes. Have 3 game cameras on my driveway. I have 2 pictures of coyotes with a fawn in there mouth. Haven't trapped in four years. I own 155 acres and cought 31 coyotes off of this farm alone 4 years ago. Haven't trapped since.
Time to boil a few 550's and and put the population back in check.
The coyotes will go in a ditch. Not fighting ticks and fleas for 5 dollars a pelt.

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/18/22 01:28 PM

Trapdye, I spoke to the DEC biologist from Warrensburgh at the NYSTA convention, asking when they would give us a better Adirondack fisher season. He seems like a decent guy. His reply was that they were going to meet soon to discuss season changes, but don't expect changes for a couple of years. How long has the Catskill/Mohawk Valley otter season been closed? When, if ever, will they open otter season in western New York?
I'm just pointing out how DEC operates.I think a lot of it stems from the arrogance of the Region 5 wildlife manager, whom I have lost all respect for. They ask for input, but will not listen
Posted By: TheHipster

Re: What are you going to trap? - 09/18/22 01:37 PM

Having a total knee replacement on November 15 so maybe just some squirrels from around the bird feeders
© 2024 Trapperman Forums