Unique Buck Rack...

Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Unique Buck Rack... - 09/15/22 11:04 PM

This ol boy is a target....

[Linked Image]

I named him Capt Hook.....
Posted By: marathonman

Re: Unique Buck Rack... - 09/15/22 11:17 PM

Appropriate name for sure! How old do you figure he is?
Posted By: Posco

Re: Unique Buck Rack... - 09/15/22 11:18 PM

I like the funky antler action. First buck I ever shot with my bow. Not a big one but I really like the split main bean. Definitely prefer the nontypicals.
[Linked Image]

Re: Unique Buck Rack... - 09/15/22 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by marathonman
Appropriate name for sure! How old do you figure he is?

I have several pics of him past few days and 1 pic of him in velvet back in August.

His body features say 3.5 year old.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Slipknot

Re: Unique Buck Rack... - 09/15/22 11:36 PM

Very unique Swamp Wolf hope you get him.

Re: Unique Buck Rack... - 09/15/22 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Slipknot
Very unique Swamp Wolf hope you get him.

Spent 19 hours in a Summit climber past 2 days...no show. Saw a few other bucks and does and yearlings but not him....never sent an arrow downrange...

Had this one at 20yds for almost an hour yesterday morning.....not a tag burner for me.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Property is 2 hrs from my residence so next cool snap I will return for a day or 3.
Posted By: Wild_WI

Re: Unique Buck Rack... - 09/15/22 11:57 PM

I shot a weirdo 8pt last year just because he was unique love the weird ones
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Unique Buck Rack... - 09/16/22 12:06 AM

I like the big bodied old short thick antlered bucks as much as the high scoring ones. This one is just a toad body wise but only a 7 pointer. Was just a 6 last year. He's my second choice this year. Hope he doesn't come within range and tempts me. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Bottom pic is him late season last year
Posted By: grumley701

Re: Unique Buck Rack... - 09/16/22 12:29 AM

Looks as though he identifies as a mulley...
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Unique Buck Rack... - 09/16/22 12:43 AM

He looks young.
Good chance he'll snap pff that forwards leaning tine.
Let him be a couple years and see what he becomes if your serious about shooting a giant.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Unique Buck Rack... - 09/16/22 01:03 AM

[Linked Image]

Got this one two years ago.
Posted By: NEYotetrapper

Re: Unique Buck Rack... - 09/16/22 02:20 AM

Split beam bucks are always cool!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Unique Buck Rack... - 09/16/22 02:25 AM

Not likely to see another like that, good luck SW
Posted By: arcticotter

Re: Unique Buck Rack... - 09/16/22 02:32 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Unique Buck Rack... - 09/16/22 02:36 AM

Do you really consider a 3 1/2 year old buck an ol boy? I’m curious what you see in that buck that makes you believe he’s 3 1/2.

Re: Unique Buck Rack... - 09/16/22 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
Do you really consider a 3 1/2 year old buck an ol boy? I’m curious what you see in that buck that makes you believe he’s 3 1/2.

Ol boy...NOT Old Boy....

My age guess is more about what his physique doesn't have. But he is definitely older than 2.5. He doesn't look like a doe if you cover his antlers. But, he doesn't have the bulk of a 4.5 yr old.

It's a guess based on years of looking at live and dead southern US bucks and their jawbones.
Posted By: VaBeagler

Re: Unique Buck Rack... - 09/16/22 03:31 AM

Have had one like that for the last couple of years. We call them crab claws. My farm helper killed the original crab claws in 2018. 10 points, 5 and a half years old. He obviously left his mark. See bucks every year with a crab claw on one side.

Re: Unique Buck Rack... - 09/16/22 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf

Ol boy...NOT Old Boy....

My age guess is more about what his physique doesn't have. But he is definitely older than 2.5. He doesn't look like a doe if you cover his antlers. But, he doesn't have the bulk of a 4.5 yr old.

It's a guess based on years of looking at live and dead southern US bucks and their jawbones.

Thanks! I always thought you were a 5 1/2 or older kinda buck hunter. Kinda surprised you wanted to go after that one.

Re: Unique Buck Rack... - 09/16/22 03:51 AM

JP,
We all like to hunt and kill big bucks and that usually means older bucks, but the one I posted definitely meets my personal qualifications...lol

That split beam rack is his downfall if I see him...

Re: Unique Buck Rack... - 09/16/22 03:53 AM

Right on! I hope you don’t get him this year and get him in a year or two lol.

He definitely has character!
Posted By: marathonman

Re: Unique Buck Rack... - 09/16/22 11:12 AM

s.w. killem if you get a chance...
Posted By: charles

Re: Unique Buck Rack... - 09/16/22 12:56 PM

I once shot and lost my biggest buck at the end of a season. On opening day the following year, I killed him. My bullet the year before had hit him in the very front of both shoulders. The next year when I killed him, he was stiff legged and both antlers were deformed. Wish I had a picture to share. The buck had 16 points, 8 per side. Each side had a thick spike point with 7 brow times 2 to 3 inches long. His antlers resembled a shrub that had been bush hogged. Was not pretty at all.
Posted By: eric space

Re: Unique Buck Rack... - 09/16/22 11:44 PM

Shot this one in 2019. Right side antler was deformed as his left rear leg had been broken and then healed up. Often an injury is reflected in the antler on the opposite side of the body.

[Linked Image]

Re: Unique Buck Rack... - 09/17/22 12:06 AM

A biologist from the PGC told me a buck with two antlers coming out of one pedestal are often the result of a “dirty shed “. That’s where the buck breaks off a piece of skull when shedding antlers in the winter, instead of coming off clean at the pedestal. Some will die of infection. Others will survive, but will always have an abnormal antler on that side.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Unique Buck Rack... - 09/17/22 01:49 AM

Jurassic, do you consider this an “old boy”?
[Linked Image]

Re: Unique Buck Rack... - 09/17/22 01:56 AM

Here’s a couple off the property.
This one was a guys first buck, it was only 2.5.
[Linked Image]

This one actually had a 3rd beam. It was only 2” or so, but an actual third beam.
[Linked Image]

Re: Unique Buck Rack... - 09/17/22 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be

Jurassic, do you consider this an “old boy”?
[Linked Image]

I don’t know. How old is he? If he is 6 1/2 or older I’d call him an old boy.

Re: Unique Buck Rack... - 09/17/22 02:15 AM

Yeah, he’s what we just call 5.5+. We know he’s at least 5.5 and that’s providing he was only 2.5 the first year we saw him. He’s always been wide and always had short tines. We tried to get a kid on him last year but it never worked out.

Re: Unique Buck Rack... - 09/17/22 02:44 AM

Yeah I do the same. 5 1/2 plus is hard for me to tell the age. I just say 5 1/2 plus as well.

This is one I’m after right now.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I believe he just rubbed his velvet before the pic.

Re: Unique Buck Rack... - 09/17/22 03:04 AM

Oh he’s nice! I hope to see a closeup with you behind him!

Re: Unique Buck Rack... - 09/17/22 03:25 AM

Ya I’m throwing everything I got at him this year. Hope to meet up with him soon!
Posted By: matt

Re: Unique Buck Rack... - 09/17/22 05:27 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This was a cool one we had last year.
Posted By: matt

Re: Unique Buck Rack... - 09/17/22 05:29 AM

[Linked Image]

Kind of hard to see. But here is another one. Like to find and hunt the crazy ones.
Posted By: MNEric

Re: Unique Buck Rack... - 09/17/22 06:25 AM

This one was taken on my taxidermist 14 acres a couple years ago
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Unique Buck Rack... - 09/17/22 12:47 PM

Hopefully the next picture you get of him is with holding his antlers. Good luck.
Posted By: shanemoss

Re: Unique Buck Rack... - 09/17/22 08:13 PM

Wow. Those split beams are more common than I thought. I've shot a few drop tines but this one I really like. From last year bow season only has a brow tine and broke point on the left beam. This was an old deer.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Unique Buck Rack... - 09/17/22 08:52 PM

This buck was from 2016. It weighed 258 pounds on the hoof. It has a point growing out of its skull above the eyes.

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums