Home

SPAM!

Posted By: Finster

SPAM! - 09/16/22 08:14 PM

Who likes it? I like the stuff. It's no good for you, nothing but fat and salt. Maybe that's why it's tasty.
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: SPAM! - 09/16/22 08:21 PM

My grandma fed us a bunch of fried spam growing up. That and Armour brand Treet. We turned out fine (I think)
Posted By: Boco

Re: SPAM! - 09/16/22 08:21 PM

Its good fried up on the woodstove at camp after a long day on the line in fall when its cold wet snow.
Only takes 10 minutes to fry a big mess of it.
Posted By: salemtrapper

Re: SPAM! - 09/16/22 08:27 PM

Grill and bbq it's good as well
Posted By: Sharon

Re: SPAM! - 09/16/22 08:33 PM

True fat and salt is good for you.

Not a lot of folks know, but the adrenals soak up salt to rejuvenate like a sponge. It's also a good source of electrolytes.

Real fat, not Trans fatty oils, are also good . It's sugar and the bad rancid oils that make the sticky blood .

Spam browned in a skillet, or cut up as stir fry is great.
Posted By: gcs

Re: SPAM! - 09/16/22 08:47 PM

Nothing wrong with Spam....get the reduced salt if you need to...
Posted By: Northof50

Re: SPAM! - 09/16/22 08:50 PM

Was a major war food relief item sent over after WW2 and during USSR's domination in the Ukraine it was a item that commanded a fair penny after the iron curtain fell
Posted By: sweetwilliam

Re: SPAM! - 09/16/22 08:51 PM

Good stuff fried with eggs
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: SPAM! - 09/16/22 08:52 PM

Oops!! I thought this was about a different type of SPAM, which I find very annoying. LOL

Re: SPAM! - 09/16/22 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
Its good fried up on the woodstove at camp after a long day on the line in fall when its cold wet snow.

back-up meat for hunters skunk stew
Posted By: Slipknot

Re: SPAM! - 09/16/22 09:00 PM

Yep fried spam fried egg on toast, mayo with a piece of cheese.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: SPAM! - 09/16/22 09:02 PM

My folks did not have a lot of money and Spam was one of the staples in our pantry. I still love it. Few things better than a fried Spam on buttered toast sandwich!

Moosetrot
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: SPAM! - 09/16/22 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by sweetwilliam
Good stuff fried with eggs

Yup even better with fried taters
Posted By: DakotaBoy

Re: SPAM! - 09/16/22 09:25 PM

I've been on a big Spam kick lately, and both of my young boys like it too. Fried up in a skillet with eggs and toast or put it in buttered noodles with parm. cheese. Meal fit for a king as far as I'm concerned!
Posted By: waggler

Re: SPAM! - 09/16/22 09:27 PM

Yuck. But I suppose if I were starving I might not complain too much.
Posted By: Gulo

Re: SPAM! - 09/16/22 10:14 PM

There's a bar in Anchorage, the music and skits are by Mr. Whitekeys and the Spamtones. Everything on the menu is something made with Spam. They do the Whalefat Follies as well. If I remember correctly, the Fly-By-Night Club. Maybe that's a thing of the past. Last time I was there was probably 1982 or so. Haven't had a reason to go to Los Anchorage since then.

Jack
Posted By: rpmartin

Re: SPAM! - 09/16/22 10:29 PM

Posted By: Bogmaster

Re: SPAM! - 09/16/22 10:41 PM

Love fried spam sandwiches,mustard on the spam.
Tom
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: SPAM! - 09/16/22 10:44 PM

Spam, sardines, beenie weenies in a can, are all good camping/hunting food. Easily carried and can be eaten cold if necessary. Throw in a pack of crackers and I’m good.
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: SPAM! - 09/16/22 11:06 PM

YUCK !
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: SPAM! - 09/16/22 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Boco

Yup. It’s good when you’re hungry. I won a spam cook off once. Fried strips rolled up in a piece of dough with a bit of cheese and bake a few minutes
Posted By: KeithC

Re: SPAM! - 09/16/22 11:59 PM

Back in the late seventies and early eighties, we had a neighbor kid who often tried to fish with Spam. It was poor bait, mainly because it would not stay on his hook. He also would try fishing with hot dogs, bread, corn and Slim Jim's. I think he was scared of the worms, catalpa caterpillars, grasshoppers, crickets, crayfish, slugs and spiders the rest of us fished with.

I never heard of anyone eating Spam until I was in my mid-twenties. I worked with an old hillbilly woman named Edith, who would give me Spam and tomato sandwiches. She introduced me to biscuits and sausage gravy too. She was a great lady and fiercely loyal to me. I miss her.

I've had very good grilled Spam, in a lot of different flavors, at a Spam party.

Keith
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 12:03 AM

Don't knock it till ya fried it !!! grin
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 12:04 AM

The best of all the "spams" is CLOVER VALLEY LUNCHEON MEAT
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 12:05 AM

Smash It up with some mayo and its ham salad sammich time. !!!
Posted By: Brian Mongeau

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 12:47 AM

Ate it often early in my marriage. Haven't had it in years. I don't think my wife ever wants it in the house again. I didn't mind it at all.
Posted By: G Hose

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 12:56 AM

Ive tried it once since I’ve grown up an started cooking for myself, spam is wayyyyy to salty for me
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by G Hose
Ive tried it once since I’ve grown up an started cooking for myself, spam is wayyyyy to salty for me

I slice mine thin & put on Ritz crackers. It helps
Posted By: 160user

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Fisher Man
YUCK !

Specially Prepared Army Meat. No thanks!
Posted By: Trapset

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 01:17 AM

As far as Hormel Spam they actually use good cuts of meat for it. It’s a big seller for them so they use the good stuff. As far as taste, I can take it or leave it unless I’m camping or on the river. I seem to crave it then. I like the long shelf life too!
Posted By: 9wire

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 01:29 AM

SPAM - Squirrels Pigs And Mice…

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by 9wire
SPAM - Squirrels Pigs And Mice…

The 3 major food groups!
Posted By: BigBob

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 02:50 AM

My Momma would double bread it with Progresso bread crumbs, mashed potatoes and pan gravy. Fit for a King!
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by BigBob
My Momma would double bread it with Progresso bread crumbs, mashed potatoes and pan gravy. Fit for a King!

That does sound good!

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by 160user
Originally Posted by Fisher Man
YUCK !

Specially Prepared Army Meat. No thanks!

that is why the USA gave so much to the Russians during WW2 and then it was sold to the people of the Ukraine and after the starvation they went through it was ...meat even if it was 7 years old...vodka cleans up everything ...tast za tse ..bottoms up
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 05:11 AM

In the cold dark days of winter I crave fatty foods like SPAM. I don’t find it the least bit interesting from March until December.
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 05:46 AM

I have a case of it and throw a can in the backpack when I go out hunting. Its a staple here eaten on a Sailor Boy pilot bread along with dry salmon agutuk and coffee.

Its good for survival food if needed and good to have a can when you need it.

I eat it once in while at home. Fried with eggs and cheese.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 10:21 AM

I like SPAM tried many flavors of it through the years
Spam
Teriyaki spam
Jalapeno spam
Hickory smoke
Hot and spicy
Roast turkey spam
Bacon spam
Less Sodium spam
Spam with Cheese
Black pepper

Haven't tried or found:
Spam lite
Portuguese spam
Garlic spam
Chorizo

Might have missed a few lol

Eat Spam maybe once a month. Looked at the ingredients and there was very few on a regular can of Spam
Pork, salt, water, potatoes starch, sugar and sodium nitrate

I usually make fried Spam or Spamwiches
But have made Spam and eggs, Spam and bean soup and my favorite Spambalaya
Posted By: trapper red 315

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 10:33 AM

SPAM good..........
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 10:38 AM

On the list of my “keep you alive” food, it’s right after carp and just before groundhog.

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 12:19 PM

After looking at the nutrition or the poison level label. What they do is a 2 ounce serving ratio,and a can is 12 ounces, so when you eat a whole can you have exceeded your sodium levels for the day. Go figure..... but if you die , you have a happy meal smile on your face. blush
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by waggler
Yuck. But I suppose if I were starving I might not complain too much.

Brown Bear or spam Mark
Your choice...hahaha! grin
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 12:32 PM

I have never tasted spam.
Posted By: Mark K

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Giant Sage
I have never tasted spam.

I envy you.
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 01:51 PM

The Indipeno’s here will make spam fried rice. I like it, but it’s a chore to pick out the rice.
Posted By: gcs

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 02:09 PM

Read a post once where some people claimed spam was various unedible parts from the pig... Armour insists spam is 100% pork shoulder,,,,and salt, lol, mmmmm.
Posted By: Gulo

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 02:33 PM

The first batch of Spam was canned and sold in 1937. They've sold 12 millions cans since then. They're even talking now about making the second batch.

Jack
Posted By: Wild_WI

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 03:01 PM

I lived in Hawaii for 10 years Spam was on the menu everywhere even sold it at McDonalds

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 03:03 PM

Jack, I've heard quite a bit about Mr. Whitekeys and the Spamtones.

Reminds me of the Snakepit...another interesting place to go !

I have some spam , and I just picked up some very good Japanese noodles for stir-fry in my wok, along with a huge leek , which will add perfect tangy sweetness, some colourful bell peppas , shrooms, and the assorted oyster sauce , dark teriyaki , garlic, etc., to make a great meal. In salute to this thread, I'll chop some spam and brown it to perfection in sesame oil in my wok . It should be a nice addition to the mix.

Cheers !

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 03:06 PM

The designers of the can have done quite a engineering feat with the sloped sides where one can goes in upside down beside it when packaging it. Think about it no 25% wasted space as in a round can.
And the key opener so no need for a can opener.
And at -30c it still will come out of the can for those late trail night feast
Posted By: cbat

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Wild_WI
I lived in Hawaii for 10 years Spam was on the menu everywhere even sold it at McDonalds

You beat me to it. Even some of the 4 star restaurants have it on the menu.
Posted By: Wild_WI

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 03:15 PM

Yeah cbat hard to believe all the places that had it breakfast lunch and dinner

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Sharon

I have some spam , and I just picked up some very good Japanese noodles for stir-fry in my wok, along with a huge leek , which will add perfect tangy sweetness, some colourful bell peppas , shrooms, and the assorted oyster sauce , dark teriyaki , garlic, etc., to make a great meal. In salute to this thread, I'll chop some spam and brown it to perfection in sesame oil in my wok . It should be a nice addition to the mix.

Cheers !

Sounds fantastic
Posted By: decoy

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 04:18 PM

Had a good friend from Iowa come out to hunt Elk with me in Idaho. Had a wall tent along marble ck. and one day for something to eat I made fried spam, eggs, spuds, man it was de lish but Barney had been in Italy during WW2 & had a couple of medals for bravery looked at the spam and said he would not eat spam ever after the war cause that was about all he had to eat over there Oh well more for me yum grin
Posted By: HayDay

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 04:26 PM

Reminds me of that old Tom T. Hall song...........about food in the county jail........

Later on his wife brought hot bologna, eggs and gravy The first day I was there I turned it down Well, next morning they just let us sleep but I was up real early Wonderin' when I'd get my release Later on we got more hot bologna, eggs and gravy And by now I wasn't quite so hard to please

Yup.......SPAM fried rice big breakfast at McDonalds in HI. And fried SPAM on the menu at Frank's Diner in Kenosha. When down to the last can, will always pick up another case at Sam's Club.
Posted By: white17

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Gulo
There's a bar in Anchorage, the music and skits are by Mr. Whitekeys and the Spamtones. Everything on the menu is something made with Spam. They do the Whalefat Follies as well. If I remember correctly, the Fly-By-Night Club. Maybe that's a thing of the past. Last time I was there was probably 1982 or so. Haven't had a reason to go to Los Anchorage since then.

Jack

https://www.mrwhitekeys.com/the-fly-by-night-club.html

http://www.mrwhitekeys.com/mr-whitekeys-bio.html

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 05:31 PM

I bought a case last winter when things were hard to get.

I like it once in a while. That whitish gelatinous stuff in the can is referred to as Spamatozoa

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by white17
I bought a case last winter when things were hard to get.

I like it once in a while. That whitish gelatinous stuff in the can is referred to as Spamatozoa

Use to be a lot more in it years ago we called it gelatinous goo
My friend loved the gelatinous goo on toast

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 05:40 PM

Cheers !

Excellent
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Northof50
After looking at the nutrition or the poison level label. What they do is a 2 ounce serving ratio,and a can is 12 ounces, so when you eat a whole can you have exceeded your sodium levels for the day. Go figure..... but if you die , you have a happy meal smile on your face. blush

They have low sodium now!

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 05:54 PM

Speaking of sodium............remember the old Celebrity canned bacon ?

I still have a case. No idea how old it is.

http://www.canned-bacon.com/thecan.html

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 05:59 PM

I used to bring that canned bacon trapping. Sure was salty went good with pancakes.

The salt is good for you so not a problem,once you have enough you stop.

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 06:02 PM

Good to hear from you Jeff.
Posted By: decoy

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 06:18 PM

Ken, you must have a fairly large storage shed. What else you stock pile? grin

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Oh Snap
Good to hear from you Jeff.

Thanks I haven't blown away yet. Although my neighbors smoke house is laying up on the road. Glad it wasn't his house.

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by decoy
Ken, you must have a fairly large storage shed. What else you stock pile? grin

You should see the scrap metal under my shop. When I go to the dump I often come back with more than I dropped off

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 06:51 PM

If you have ever been to McGrath you would understand.

Alaskans were preppers loooong before it was a popular tv show.

Re: SPAM! - 09/17/22 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Turtledale

Cheers !

Sounds fantastic

I believe it will be, TD ! I enjoy cooking and anything that sounds like a decent addition to my cuisine list I like to explore. I am thinking browned spam will go perfectly in stir fry. Maybe even some smoked Gouda sprinkled on top .

Re: SPAM! - 09/19/22 01:12 PM

My uncle brought two cans of that canned bacon to Elk camp every year. I think they were the same two can’s because I never remember him ever cooking it. Kinda became a running joke, “Jim bacon”.

Re: SPAM! - 09/19/22 01:30 PM

Spam Rocks

I raise Hogs now so I haven't had it for 35 years but I love me some Spam.
Posted By: Badger23

Re: SPAM! - 09/19/22 01:33 PM

It can't be all that bad. A few years ago I bought a few cans of different flavors Hot n Spicy, Jalapeno, Garlic and Black Pepper. I told my wife I was going to try it. I remembered having it once in awhile as a kid. She thought I was nuts and she never had had it. One day she took a box of Jambalaya mix and a can of flavored spam. That's now one of her dishes she makes when she makes her food for the week. She prefers the Hot n Spicy.
She went from thinking it was gross with a pre-made up mind to liking it once she had it. Like I said it can't be too bad.

Re: SPAM! - 09/19/22 02:12 PM

I couldn’t take it anymore, had to fry some up thismorning!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: SPAM! - 09/19/22 02:15 PM

Used part of a can this morning and it got me thinking…Has anyone seen the plastic lids that seal the can if you don’t it all? They were everywhere when I was a kid but I haven’t seen one in years. Pretty handy.
Posted By: Mike Cope

Re: SPAM! - 09/19/22 03:24 PM

https://www.spam.com/

Re: SPAM! - 09/19/22 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Horn

Looks like they have everything but a can lid! LMAO, Flip flops to hockey pucks! LOL
Posted By: Dirt

Re: SPAM! - 09/19/22 04:23 PM

I wish I could still get it. Before refrigerator, spam and canned bacon were summer staples. Not so much anymore. Unwrapping the bacon was a bit messy though. smile
Posted By: Boco

Re: SPAM! - 09/19/22 04:29 PM

Here is something I make at camp that is pretty good for fast food.
I call it goulash-2 cans of corned beef,one big can of diced tomatos,and some rice,and some chopped onions
Cook the rice in a medium sized pot for 5 minutes or so,then add the canned tomatoes and chopped onion and the corned beef broken ito meatball sized chunks,and simmer for another 10 minutes-then its ready to eat.

You could probably throw in a few chunks of Klik(Canadian name for spam) besides the corned beef or even with it.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums