Home

Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun.

Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/19/22 01:16 AM

Ruger released their new SFAR

it is basically a 308 AR-15

we were very interested in this it is basically exactly what we have been thinking of in a new rifle light weight 308 semi auto bonus that it has Rugers name behind it and a reasonable for what it is price tag MSRP is 1229.00

the squeeked a little space by moving the grip back and the barrel forward they made room for an AR-10 mag in a Ar-15 size rifle

so it is a 6.8lb 16 inch or a 7.3lb 20 inch barrel AR-15 scale in 308 Win

it handles like a Ar-15 with a big fat mag well

Ruger just released it early this week and yesterday a shop we were at had one 996.99

and thanks to my son who is employed full time who lives under my roof basically for free one was able to follow us home.

haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but provided it shoots decent which I definitely expect it too it is very cool

on par with same weight as a normal AR-15 but slinging 308 win

this could be one Awesome hog gun

it feeds from the Magpul AR-10/SR-25/M110 mag they come in 10,20, 25 round option the gun sells with one 20 rounder

the trigger is good
it has a nice magpul butt stock

we will get to the range this next week when the optic gets here

if it shoots up to expectation I am already thinking of what I don't use any more gets sold so that I can put a second in the stable soon

Posted By: K9BeavCoon

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/19/22 01:54 AM

Very cool! Hope it pans out!
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/19/22 01:57 AM

I dont know how many mule deer and elk my dad killed with a bolt action 308. A bunch. Other stuff too. He bought the rifle in the 60's and used it for 30 plus years, grabbing it when ever he needed to make meat or kill a coyote or something. I should not have read your post. Unfortunately I did not get that rifle upon his passing. A close friend of his had come up to go elk hunting. Left his 06 in his pickup while he ran into the little general store on the highway at Cotopaxi CO. Been a wooden indian out front as long as I been alive and if you ever drove down hwy 50 west of Canon City you may remember that wooden indian. So anyway some low life grabbed his rifle out the window. So my dad gave his friend that 308. I keep thinking I need one so now I got to break the news to my bride I want to look at one...... I never really wanted an AR but recently picked one up in 5.56. Thing is a lot of fun and shoots great. Was shooting tannerite with it on Independence Day this year. My grandson killed his first deer with it. I may need another one.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/19/22 01:58 AM

I knew I shouldn’t have opened this! Already have one AR10 but I want another, especially now, lol! I thank you!! I now know what I’m getting myself for Christmas.
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/19/22 02:01 AM

Unfortunately your to late notice am waiting for my LGS to get one in. First time I have ever been on a waiting list for a rifle or any gun, but this one looks like what I have been waiting for
Posted By: Strut10

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/19/22 02:07 AM

Uh oh............... frown

I may be about to get in trouble.............. cool smirk
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/19/22 02:14 AM

Well, with that title for the thread, I had to see what it was about. Looks like an awesome rifle.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/19/22 02:33 AM

What about parts compatibility? Will it take standard AR triggers? Bolt carrier proprietary?
Posted By: trapperEd

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/19/22 06:52 AM

Here is one that my son just built. AR-10 .308 caliber.
I don't remember what scope is on it, match barrel on it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/19/22 11:14 AM

I read this . Still don’t want one ! Sorry I’ll stick to my bolt guns 222, 6mm ,270 and of course my inherited marlin 30-30 lever action .But you guys enjoy!!
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/19/22 12:57 PM

Sweet! I would like to see what that baby could do!

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/19/22 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
What about parts compatibility? Will it take standard AR triggers? Bolt carrier proprietary?

BCG is a hybrid it uses a gas key I have never seen before it is AR-15 in size with a 308 bolt face
the Firing pin looks to be AR-10
the cotter key appears to be ar-15
the ejectors , look to be dual ar-15 ejector plungers and springs (I haven't had it apart to be sure but it looks to be )

the bolt catch/release is proprietary or modified from an AR-15 some

not sure yet on the mag release hardware

what is AR-15 parts compatible is furniture the grip , the buffer tube , the stock
the rail is all m-lok and picatinny
the Fire control group is most definitely AR-15
it appears the take down pins and detents are all AR-15

being AR-10 weren't really mil spec like AR-15s there were a few generations of them and a couple different patters the stoner and the dpms

questions yet are , is the barrel extension a hybred , what barrel nuts can it use ,?

the up side besides the weight is the manual of arms is everything your used to but with a bigger magazine well

the venting in the bcg and the upper near the barrel extension and adjustable gas block are very cool.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/19/22 01:06 PM

I prefer my bolts

Interesting Rifle though

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/19/22 01:07 PM

Sounds great I need to finish the video review. Never liked .223/556 much but AR 10 were always a bit heavy and big. I'm interested in accuracy and per the reviews I watches so far 4 to 4.5 lb trigger may be good for an AR 15 but won't last long with me.
The gas block adjustment is nice for sure I need to add one on my black out it severely over gassed with can.

I would like it in 7mm08 more because I don't want to add another caliber.

Finished the video groups a bit large for me
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/19/22 01:19 PM

I used a Ruger M77 ultra light in a .308 for a couple years deer hunting in PA .I really liked carrying that gun .It was light and short and came to my shoulder quickly .Over the years I used several other Ruger M77 in assorted calibers . The p[ictured SFAR in 308 looks like it is well made as is Ruger reputation And my thought has always been 'You can Not own too many guns So shot it and have fun.

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/19/22 01:29 PM

Sounds great I need to finish the video review. Never liked .223/556 much but AR 10 were always a bit heavy and big. I'm interested in accuracy and per the reviews I watches so far 4 to 4.5 lb trigger may be good for an AR 15 but won't last long with me.
The gas block adjustment is nice for sure I need to add one on my black out it severely over gassed with can.

I would like it in 7mm08 more because I don't want to add another caliber.

I am thinking of adding this to the collection and divesting myself of 7.62x39 I just don't use that gun for anything any more I never really used it for much more than an affordable shooter back when we bough 50 round brown paper lunch bags of ammo stapled shut. there was a sports shop that broke down spam cans into bags for us po-folks if you had 5.50 you could buy a sack of ammo and have a few cents left over after the tax.
Posted By: DakotaBoy

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/19/22 01:45 PM

Interesting, but I gotta say, it doesn't do much for me. Especially all the one-off pieces they had to use or make to get this put together...isn't that one of the big selling points of the AR platform? To be able to easily swap this or that out for something different because all the parts basically fit the same?

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/19/22 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by DakotaBoy
Interesting, but I gotta say, it doesn't do much for me. Especially all the one-off pieces they had to use or make to get this put together...isn't that one of the big selling points of the AR platform? To be able to easily swap this or that out for something different because all the parts basically fit the same?

On at 15s yes. AR 10s have a few different patterns.
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/19/22 01:54 PM

Looks like FUN!!

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/19/22 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by DakotaBoy

On at 15s yes. AR 10s have a few different patterns.

AR-10s are a sort of like AKs
every country make thier AK a little different and there are 50+ variations all called AK

the Stoner AR-10 early and late
the DPMS gen 1 , gen 2 , gen 3

this article helps to explain
https://www.80percentarms.com/blog/dpms-vs-armalite-the-difference-between-ar-10-lr-308-patterns/

other companies have mostly gone with the DPMS pattern but this would represent one of the more parts interchangeable 308 AR rifles

given this is a Ruger you have about the best insurance that the company will be around to support it that you can have.

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/19/22 03:17 PM

Few people will actually shoot it enough to need maintenance or have parts fail. The cost of ammo will prevent that for most.
I think the average shooter or hunter may shoot a few boxes a year if that of center fire rifle ammo. Few shoot over 500 to 1000.
Sight it in or a few shots to check zero each year and they are good.

If I bought one of these I would buy extra parts that are specific to this model. You never know when something will be discontinued or not be allowed to be sold due to government restrictions. Does made a smaller model for a.while don't know if they still do?

From that video it was not showing enough accuracy for me to get excited about.
Posted By: K91773

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/19/22 03:17 PM

They are really neat rifles, I bought one last week. The manual says to expect stoppages until the rifle is broken in, in the first magazine I had 17 failures to feed or eject, in the second magazine I had 4 and 0 in the third magazine all with the adjustable gas block set on 3 per Ruger’s instructions. The manual said break in should take between 100 and 200 rounds then you can set the gas block to 2.

Also when I cleaned it prior to firing there was a lot of oil in the bore and chamber, obviously not an issue but just something to be aware of as it could have caused issues had I not cleaned it prior to shooting. I put a 4x12 Leupold on it for initial testing.

I shot 40 rounds of M80 ball ammo (S&B manufacturers) it is not terribly accurate out of anything but I bought several cases years ago when such stuff was really cheap and it is reliable ammo so it makes good plinking ammo. I then shot 4 5 round groups at 100 yards using Federal Gold Medal Match ammo, the 168 grain load. I don’t have my notes handy right now but the average for the 4 groups was1.9 something inches. If this rifle is consistent with other rifles that I have used with an adjustable gas block accuracy should improve when the settings are turned down.

Recoil of the rifle was mild and it stayed relatively flat during recoil so follow up shots would be quick, the muzzle brake is very effective but also very loud. For me the jury is still out on this rifle right now, if it turns out to be reliable and the accuracy improves as it is broken in, it will make a good all around rifle, time will tell.
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/19/22 04:55 PM

Interesting video and reports.

It looks like it would make a nice hog gun for the truck.

For black 308s, I shoot Daniel Defense and Wilson Combat. The Daniel Defense is a solid weapon. The Wilson Combat is also solid and very, very accurate.

But I am a fan of Ruger and will definitely be watching.

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/19/22 05:03 PM

I got home and looked at my notes the average for the 4 groups was 1.72 inches not 1.9. Obviously, ammo has the potential of much greater accuracy, it is a 1/2 inch load in a couple of my rifles. We will see how the Ruger pans out after I am able to back the gas setting down to 2.

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/19/22 07:34 PM

There is no doubt there are some extremely accurate AR pattern 308 rifles out there, Daniel Defense and Wilson have been mentioned, then there is LaRue, and Knights Armament some of the Sigs do well as well and I am sure there are others that I don't have experience with, but the thing is they are all 10 to 12 pound rifles bare and cost considerably more than 1000 dollars where as the Ruger will come in at about 8.5 pounds with a full size optic and full magazine. As of right now I am not real happy with the accuracy of the Ruger but I am going to put some more rounds through it and get it broken in per their instructions, get the gas turned down to 2 and see what it does then. If it doesn't improve from where it is at right now, I don't know if I will keep it or not, I guess I will just have to wait and see. But realistically of the dozens of deer I have killed, only one has been past 200 yards and probably 95 percent of them have been under 100 so the accuracy at present is more than adequate for that and most of the pigs I have shot have been inside 50. But right now it is not a 300 yard coyote rifle and would be marginal for deer much farther than that. I guess we will see. Oh something I forgot to mention is that I am left-handed and the ejected cases often hit me in the face, if this doesn't straighten out when the rifle is broken in it will be finding a new home.

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/19/22 07:39 PM

Got a question for you ar gurus. Is it necessary to hold the gun sideways to hit anything? In the video he holds it at an angle. Or is he in Rambo mode or is that street thug technique?if it’s upright will it jam . Never owned one so just asking .
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/19/22 07:42 PM

When I see guys commenting about how much better their bolt actions are I cant help but wonder what they would say if they had huge sounders of feral hogs all over. I love my bolt guns too but in hog country I do love having a follow up shot ready and sometimes even a 3rd. Until you spook them you'd never beleive how fast hogs get to cover. A .308 auto would be a great thing to have checkin pastures
Posted By: Marty

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/19/22 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Got a question for you ar gurus. Is it necessary to hold the gun sideways to hit anything? In the video he holds it at an angle. Or is he in Rambo mode or is that street thug technique?if it’s upright will it jam . Never owned one so just asking .

depends on your qualifications.... smile
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/19/22 08:04 PM

Nice gun. Don’t buy it with a Visa card they agreed a week or so ago to keep track of all firearms sales for big brother

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/19/22 08:09 PM

mad

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/19/22 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
When I see guys commenting about how much better their bolt actions are I cant help but wonder what they would say if they had huge sounders of feral hogs all over. I love my bolt guns too but in hog country I do love having a follow up shot ready and sometimes even a 3rd. Until you spook them you'd never beleive how fast hogs get to cover. A .308 auto would be a great thing to have checkin pastures

Agree. I carry one in the truck and use it often on the piggies.

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/19/22 08:26 PM

He is using off set sights from the scope this allows you to use open sights for close range targets but still allowing you to use a traditional scope. It has nothing to do with the function of the rifle, you mainly see those set ups in 3 gun competitions where the targets can range from 10 feet to 500 yards and your time to shoot the course impacts your score.

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/19/22 08:52 PM

if you look carefully when he is holding it at a 45 degree angle he is shooting with his 45 degree offset backup Irons

when you want to build a gun to transition fast from a few yards to several hundred yards you often run an offset optic or irons

turning the gun 45 degrees is faster than changing the dial on the scope and keeps both hands in the shooting position

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/19/22 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Pawnee
Nice gun. Don’t buy it with a Visa card they agreed a week or so ago to keep track of all firearms sales for big brother

not thrilled about that but when you start competing and your name is on a public score board or you have instructor credentials , I am already a marked man.

maybe you already have some NFA items , you are already on file at he ATF

best I can do at this point is train a bunch of kids and other people to shoot well pay cash and be grey men

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/19/22 08:58 PM

AT 300 YARDS !!!!! DANG I want one 1:11 in video . Yes left lane I have said on MANY occasions that they would be great for hog hunting !!! Mow them down. But where I live and how I hunt I have no use nor desire for one. But looks like fun and good luck .

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/19/22 09:06 PM

yes it would

can't speak for piggies myself only ones I ever shot were domestic and point blank

a few times now I have shot 2 deer within a second or two of each other in the one county I hunt they give out a lot of doe tags
we each had 5 one year that meant we had 40 doe tags and 8 buck tags amongst us
we shot 5 we just didn't have the space for 48 well or the opportunity.

3 could be interesting ,but I feel like if you have to focus on shooting them too the ground rather than just putting one round in each and tracking multiple blood trails you owe it to your crew to shoot them to the ground and save the time of trailing deer as it eats up hunting hours fast.
Posted By: white17

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/19/22 09:34 PM

I would think that 16" barrel would be mighty loud. Wasn't the 308 designed for a longer barrel to take advantage of complete powder burn ?

How is it different functionally than the M1A ?

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/19/22 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by white17
I would think that 16" barrel would be mighty loud. Wasn't the 308 designed for a longer barrel to take advantage of complete powder burn ?

Yes and yes.

All of my AR 10's are 16 inches but I suppress them and handload.

At this point, everything I shoot (except for shotguns) is suppressed.

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/19/22 10:32 PM

16 inch 308 is loud and blasty and the muzzle brake on this is going to make it loud in 20 in and louder in 16 inch not to mention your going to want to get that break out the window of the blind , standing anywhere other than right behind the shooter of a break is just plane no fun
but it does a good job of reducing felt recoil
nearly 50% reduction depending on the gun

how is id different than the M1A
for the user insert mag , pull handle remove safety , pull trigger and it fires till your out of ammo

AR free fall mag rather than the rock and lock of the M1A
the SFAR is Direct impingement like the AR-15 so the gas goes all the way to the bolt and pneumatically moves the bolt carrier where the because of the venting it appears it doesn't put gas back in the shooters face like some other ARs
the M1A is a piston that drives the op rod that pushes the bolt carrier all the gas is vented under the upper hand guard

so while mechanically very different from the M1A the SFAR should be a softer recoiling 308 rifle with less muzzle climb with much greater room to mount optics and accessories that when the dust cover is closed is less open to the elements and blowing debris
and be 2 pounds lighter than a 16 inch barrel Socom M1A in the 16 inch barrel version.

so if you could have a lighter recoiling M1A with a 2 pound weight reduction and lots of rail space , that sent the sent the same 308 Win cartridge. that would be sort of a dream that about everyone has dreamed while carrying one.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/19/22 10:33 PM

It wasn’t a huge sounder, but I dropped 4 out of 5 and all 4 fell within 15yds from each other and that’s the farthest one to the closest. I know for a fact I couldn’t do that with a bolt action in the area I had to shoot before they disappeared. Guess a lot has to do with the order they are shot too.

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/19/22 11:58 PM

4 out of 5 is one heck of a day!

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/20/22 12:12 AM

Well I went out an put 60 more rounds through the rifle this afternoon, the accuracy improved over what it exhibited the other day, I only shot the S&B ball ammo today and the average for 5 shot groups at 100 was 3.5 inches whereas the first set of groups were almost 6. It still had 7 stoppages all FTF/FTE. It still hits me in the face with ejected brass if no brass catcher is used. I am up to 120 rounds through the rifle now so I am in Rugers 100 to 200 round break in range, we will see how it works out. I didn't take any good ammo with me today to test, I wanted to get a few more break in rounds before I shot good ammo for groups again.
Posted By: JoMiBru

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/20/22 12:34 AM

1,850 views so far , to the post title “Don’t open if you don’t want to buy another gun”

Lol , me included. Might have a spot in the gun safe just for this rifle grin
Posted By: sneaky

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/20/22 06:26 PM

Guess I'm in the minority, this rifle doesn't do anything for me at all. To each their own.

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/20/22 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by sneaky
Guess I'm in the minority, this rifle doesn't do anything for me at all. To each their own.

It wouldn't if you don't like the AR platform. I don't like the lack of power in an AR 15, I don't like having more involved cleaning vs bolt guns or single shots. But they are useful in the proper application. For example my youngest son at 7 was very recoil sensitive. So I assembled an 8.5" 300 black out with suppressor for him. It adjusted to fit him well and has little recoil and makes a good 100 yard deer gun.

AR 10s are just a bit to big and heave so I never bought one. The above rife appears to be the susz of an AR 15 but with real rifle punch. It's still an ugly AR platform gun and you won't automatically decide you like them now if you didn't to start with. But even for me whom is not a big AR platform fan find this rifle very interesting if I start reading they can get them to achieve acceptable accuracy. So far they are failing that and it's the most important part. Especially since most AR-15 I have shot are very accuracy.

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/20/22 09:15 PM

Providence Farm, I plan on continuing to post what I experience with the rifle I have at least until I am past the 200 round break in period, if it hasn't straightened out by then it will probably go on down the road. Hopefully GreenCountyPete will post the results they get from their rifle when they have a chance to shoot it. Because obviously a sample size of 1 is not very relevant as to potential of the design 2 really isn't either but if theirs is remarkably better we can just say mine was not a good example, of course I guess we could also say theirs was an exceptional example, but I am sure more tests will be popping up shortly. Most of the reviews I have watched have not provided any useful information other than going over the specs of the rifle, and then they shoot at steel or just shoot with no indication of what they are shooting at or the results. One review showed the reviewer shooting a group but no information as to what the range was.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/20/22 09:21 PM

I have no need for a gun like that, however it's not always a question of need.

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/20/22 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by K91773
Providence Farm, I plan on continuing to post what I experience with the rifle I have at least until I am past the 200 round break in period, if it hasn't straightened out by then it will probably go on down the road. Hopefully GreenCountyPete will post the results they get from their rifle when they have a chance to shoot it. Because obviously a sample size of 1 is not very relevant as to potential of the design 2 really isn't either but if theirs is remarkably better we can just say mine was not a good example, of course I guess we could also say theirs was an exceptional example, but I am sure more tests will be popping up shortly. Most of the reviews I have watched have not provided any useful information other than going over the specs of the rifle, and then they shoot at steel or just shoot with no indication of what they are shooting at or the results. One review showed the reviewer shooting a group but no information as to what the range was.

Please do keep me updated. I will add my youngest that was recoil sensitive was the first one in line to fire the 50 bmg that was out at my range this summer. He also shot the 338 Lapa and 4 machine guns but none of the mg were larger than 5.56. He was 9 then just turned 10.

Had I not got him on a low recoil quiet gun to start he may not be such a firearms enthusiasts now. Bet the you don't need an AR 15 croud never thought about that.

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/20/22 09:48 PM

You are right, I started my daughter shooting centerfire rifles with an AR-15 carbine with a collapsable stock and a very nice trigger. This enabled us to adjust the rifle to fit her rather than her trying to use a rifle that was way to big for her, plus the 6 pound rifle was easy for her to manage and obviously had no noticeable recoil. I think to many people think it is funny to put their child out there with an adult sized rifle often in a heavy recoiling caliber with no hearing protection and laugh when they experience the shot and then can't understand when the child is actually old enough to learn to shoot why they want nothing to do with it.

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/21/22 01:19 AM

You are right, I started my daughter shooting centerfire rifles with an AR-15 carbine with a collapsable stock and a very nice trigger. This enabled us to adjust the rifle to fit her rather than her trying to use a rifle that was way to big for her, plus the 6 pound rifle was easy for her to manage and obviously had no noticeable recoil. I think to many people think it is funny to put their child out there with an adult sized rifle often in a heavy recoiling caliber with no hearing protection and laugh when they experience the shot and then can't understand when the child is actually old enough to learn to shoot why they want nothing to do with it.

I hate it when people ruin kids and women like that makes you want to , well draw blood from their face with a blunt object.

especially young women who have never shot anything can be Incredible students , they have Zero bad habits formed yet , a blank canvas with which to train.

I had a young lady 16 come to the 4-H pistol clinic several years ago very first time ever handling a handgun we checked eye dominance and then worked on grip and trigger squeeze , she wanted to work her grip down the gun but it showed on the target and as soon as we corrected it she was making hits.
sight alignment and sight picture

she went from a first magazine being all over a 10 inch target sheet at 10 yards to ringing a 10 inch plate at 60 meters mag after mag.

22lr pistol
Posted By: sneaky

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/21/22 06:08 AM

It wouldn't if you don't like the AR platform. I don't like the lack of power in an AR 15, I don't like having more involved cleaning vs bolt guns or single shots. But they are useful in the proper application. For example my youngest son at 7 was very recoil sensitive. So I assembled an 8.5" 300 black out with suppressor for him. It adjusted to fit him well and has little recoil and makes a good 100 yard deer gun.

AR 10s are just a bit to big and heave so I never bought one. The above rife appears to be the susz of an AR 15 but with real rifle punch. It's still an ugly AR platform gun and you won't automatically decide you like them now if you didn't to start with. But even for me whom is not a big AR platform fan find this rifle very interesting if I start reading they can get them to achieve acceptable accuracy. So far they are failing that and it's the most important part. Especially since most AR-15 I have shot are very accuracy.

Carried M16A2s, M16A4s, M4s with 203 Grenade launchers for 12 years in the Marine Corps, two combat tours in Iraq. Doesn't change my opinion on this. I've got a Daniel Defense upper sitting here in the box for the past year and a half, no interest in finishing the build. Just not the platform that interests me anymore.

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/21/22 05:55 PM

Well, I detail cleaned the rifle today, and took the bolt carrier assembly apart to check for carbon build up and to lube everything as I moved into the next phase of the break in. The bolt was surprisingly clean and the residue on it just wiped off, a nice surprise there the carbon on the firing pin also just wiped off so what ever they are coated with doesn't allow the carbon to stick. Now the negative, when I went to reassemble the rifle, the hole for the firing pin retaining pin is not beveled on the outside or inside of the bolt carrier, while this was easy enough to overcome on the outside it required a pick to be able to compress the legs of the pin on the inside of the bolt carrier to get it to go back into the hole. While this is not a big deal on the work bench it is frustrating because that is a small thing that would save a lot of aggravation and every other AR bolt carrier I have ever encountered has been so beveled.

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/21/22 06:22 PM

Sneaky I understand that. It not my preference either just another club in the golf bag with other clubs being preferred more. The only reason I still have my AR in 5.56 is becuse my wife bought it for me years ago. Not that it has many of those part left on it still but I couldn't sell a gift from my wife.

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/21/22 07:01 PM

Well, I detail cleaned the rifle today, and took the bolt carrier assembly apart to check for carbon build up and to lube everything as I moved into the next phase of the break in. The bolt was surprisingly clean and the residue on it just wiped off, a nice surprise there the carbon on the firing pin also just wiped off so what ever they are coated with doesn't allow the carbon to stick. Now the negative, when I went to reassemble the rifle, the hole for the firing pin retaining pin is not beveled on the outside or inside of the bolt carrier, while this was easy enough to overcome on the outside it required a pick to be able to compress the legs of the pin on the inside of the bolt carrier to get it to go back into the hole. While this is not a big deal on the work bench it is frustrating because that is a small thing that would save a lot of aggravation and every other AR bolt carrier I have ever encountered has been so beveled.

That is the type of thing that could get a guy in a real jam in the field. Thanks for the critique.

Carried M16A2s, M16A4s, M4s with 203 Grenade launchers for 12 years in the Marine Corps, two combat tours in Iraq. Doesn't change my opinion on this. I've got a Daniel Defense upper sitting here in the box for the past year and a half, no interest in finishing the build. Just not the platform that interests me anymore.

Same here. Ran thousands of rounds through the old M16A1. Never liked it, never trusted it. You just knew it was going to malfunction when you really needed it.

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/21/22 07:23 PM

I have had difficult firing pin retaining pins even in ar-15 bcg , this may help

Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/21/22 07:35 PM

I'm with Sneaky.
If I wanted another gun for deer hunting I'm looking for a bolt action or single shot.
I don't see the need and the complexity of a semi auto for a one shot type of hunting.

Now a semi auto shotgun for rabbits, ducks, pheasant, grouse and geese makes sense to me.

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/21/22 07:40 PM

I think it shows very poor taste to show up in a corn filed with a semi-auto for such a majestic bird as a pheasant laugh

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/21/22 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dirty D

I'm with Sneaky.
If I wanted another gun for deer hunting I'm looking for a bolt action or single shot.
I don't see the need and the complexity of a semi auto for a one shot type of hunting.

Now a semi auto shotgun for rabbits, ducks, pheasant, grouse and geese makes sense to me.

it is all about differences in deer hunting you see it simply as a one shot and done one tag to fill

I am ready to start using fingers on the other hand to count the number of times I shot 2 in a couple seconds and they all came with semi autos the first with a 1100 slug gun

I also see a lot of running deer although not as many as I used to because we simply do fewer drives , sometimes like a flying bird you miss but with a follow up shot that lets you stay on the animal let it go 2 strides and then roll it.
I have lost count of the number of second shot deer now arguably some of them didn't need a second or even third shot so a bit of meat was sacrificed some times it has been basically shot on shot both fatal once it was shot on shot on shot it was 3 in about the side of a softball size group that deer was simply running with out heart or lungs it fell in a few more yards yes I was using enough gun those were 3 rounds of 30-06.

it isn't just us doing fewer drives everyone is doing fewer drives and the population shows it.

if you have the tags , the population is much too high , and the land owners are all saying kill as many as you can and you have homes for all that you could kill , then why not have more rounds on tap and take doubles, maybe even a triple some day ?
Posted By: Kansas Cat

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/21/22 08:03 PM

I exhibit very poor taste then because I carry a semiautomatic for all manner of upland hunting. It just never made any sense to me to lug around 2 barrels when I can only shoot one at a time. I do have the good sense to carry a 20 or a 28 depending upon quarry. LOL.

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/21/22 08:05 PM

laugh I'm proud of you for the choice of sub gauges anyway

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/21/22 08:07 PM

I think it shows very poor taste to show up in a corn filed with a semi-auto for such a majestic bird as a pheasant laugh

I don't see pheasants as very majestic, they have become rare due to lack of habitat. So the state stocks them, its a case of birds wild as chickens with all sorts of city slickers chasing them all over the corn fields.

I keep far away.
Posted By: Kansas Cat

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/21/22 08:07 PM

I can die completely fulfilled now. LOL. Sorry for the highjack, nice gun OP.

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/21/22 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Kansas Cat

all good I carry a 12 ga riot gun for Pheasant

870 police with a 20 inch barrel had it threaded for rem chokes or a 500 with a 20 inch barrel so I am always in poor taste

but then again I am the dog so shorter barrels help me fulfill my role as human dog in hunting.

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/21/22 08:11 PM

I exhibit very poor taste then because I carry a semiautomatic for all manner of upland hunting. It just never made any sense to me to lug around 2 barrels when I can only shoot one at a time. I do have the good sense to carry a 20 or a 28 depending upon quarry. LOL.

I too carry a 20 ga semi auto for upland hunting, bout all the upland hunting I do is Ruffed Grouse. I can't see limiting yourself to 2 shots when you can kick up 3-4 or more at a time. I have killed many a grouse on the 5th shot while my buddy with his double barrel stands there empty.

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/21/22 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

all good I carry a 12 ga riot gun for Pheasant

870 police with a 20 inch barrel had it threaded for rem chokes or a 500 with a 20 inch barrel so I am always in poor taste

but then again I am the dog so shorter barrels help me fulfill my role as human dog in hunting.

Before I went to semi autos I used a 12 ga 870 with a skeet barrel, I think its 26". We hunted Grouse mainly, never with a dog, I too was the dog. So lots of very close shots to start with.
I was asked by my hunting buddies why I dumped the 870 for a semi auto as I fired the 870 so fast that many times it sounded like I had an auto.
It was cause as many shells as I went thru all the 12 ga shells I carried was getting too heavy for me.

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/23/22 06:40 PM

Today I was able to get out and shoot 25 more rounds through my Ruger SFAR, I was using Federal Gold Medal Match ammo the 168 grain load and all shooting was done at 100 yards from a concreted in bench using front and rear bags. The scope is still the Leupold 4x12 that I originally mounted on the rifle.

For the good news, I was able to turn the gas setting down to 2 and the rifle experienced no stoppages for the 25 rounds which I am pleased with.

Now for the not so good news the average group size for the 5 separate 5 round groups was 1.91 inches so up slightly from the previous average group size, the barrel was allowed to cool for 5 minutes between the firing of each group. On the bright side with one exception the groups were much more uniform in shape and the last group was almost perfectly round and was a 1.5 inch group.

At this point, I plan on starting to experiment with some different loads to see if it vastly prefers any of them over the GMM. Obviously the Federal is very high-quality ammo but as we all know different rifles prefer different loads,

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/23/22 07:23 PM

good to hear it is functioning well on gas setting 2

my son is out shooting his right now , I will report when he gets back.

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/23/22 07:59 PM

I hope he has better results from his than I have from mine, I have always been a huge Ruger fan but this rifle has been a disappointment. I hope that it straightens out and performs well. I really liked the idea of this rifle when I bought it and I really want to continue liking the rifle, but its performance is making it difficult. Also, GREENCOUNTYPETE, if your son has good accuracy results with his rifle, please post what ammo he was using.

I called Ruger Customer Service the other day and they confirmed again that it would require between 100 and 200 rounds for the rifle to start functioning properly which is kind of frustrating to have to spend another 200 or 300 dollars in ammo to get a 1000 dollar rifle to work. They also wouldn't make any accuracy commitments about the rifle but when I told the rep that I was getting 1.75 inch groups with Federal Gold Medal Match he said that was really good so that didn't build a lot of confidence that the rifle will produce really good accuracy but like I said above we will see what some different loads do. I don't know maybe I just expect too much from it based on my experience with AR-15s.

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/23/22 08:26 PM

he fired 60 rounds of Aguila fmj "break in ammo"

He had 100% function while on gas setting 3

he tried gas setting 2 after 40 rounds on setting 3 and had 2 failure to feed then went back to setting 3. I don't know how many of his 60 rounds that was

as long as he was running gas setting 3 it was feeding well he has the 20 inch barrel with the rifle gas system maybe that makes a difference , unsure and a sample size of 1

he didn't measure but when he tried to shoot accurately he said about 2 inches for his best group on paper at 100 mostly he was shooting steel at 100 and 200

we weren't expecting any great accuracy from the Aguila it was the cheapest thing on the shelf for break in and fun.

the up side sounds like good function right out of the box for his as long as using gas setting 3

he put a Vortex 1-8 strike eagle on it for an optic

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/23/22 08:43 PM

Yes, my rifle has a 16 inch barrel, I am glad his is working well, sounds like better accuracy as well, it will be interesting to see how it does with better ammo as far as accuracy. That Vortex should serve fine on a hunting rifle, that is probably what I will put on mine if it improves enough to earn a permanent spot in the safe.

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/24/22 12:20 AM

after I talked to him he went back to the store bought 40 more rounds this time PMC bronze fmj and went back to the range

so he took it to 100 rounds he said in his last 20 of the 100 rounds the ejection of cases started shifting forward so we will see if it will run on 2 at some point.

he was just having too much fun banging steel at 200 at that point to shoot for groups he had 4 steel plates up at 200

once the cows get off summer pasture at the farm we have some steel at 420yards to go play with and if we build a stand to hang the steel on we can go to about 700.

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/24/22 01:44 AM

That sounds really good, I am going to try to run some different hunting loads through mine tomorrow and see how they do in my rifle. Hopefully they will run well and eject far enough forward to not hit me in the face with the brass. This is the first AR pattern rifle that I have ever shot that hits me in the face with the ejected brass regularly, the only other one that has ever hit me was a Colt 9mm submachine gun that would hit me occasionally after it firing several bursts but that wasn't every shot.

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/24/22 02:36 AM

I just asked him where it was putting brass

he said it had been putting them out around 3:30-4:00

then around 85-90 rounds it shifted to around 1:30-2:00

60 rounds Aguila then 40 rounds PMC bronze
Posted By: wildflights

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/24/22 03:32 AM

What would it take to put a 243 barrel on this?

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/24/22 01:20 PM

If you could get a barrel made for it in 243 it would be a simple barrel swap but the barrel is proprietary to this rifle so maybe Ruger will offer it in 243 at some point or if it takes off maybe someone will start making barrels for them but right now there are no barrels available in 243 unless it is a custom made one off which obviously would be extremely expensive.

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/24/22 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by wildflights
What would it take to put a 243 barrel on this?

if it gets as popular as the Ruger Precision rifle it probably won't take long and some barrel maker will have a barrel and bolt combo for it.

but probably 2-3 years out at least

it needs a base first , what that base wants to be doing will drive the direction it goes much like the RPR also it takes more than hunters to drive a market , hunters don't burn out barrels or need even if they like it the performance competitors demand

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 09/24/22 03:56 PM

I bet in the future other calibers will be offered from the factory.
If these will shoot in .75 or so I would be interested in 7mm08 or 243 since I shoot those allready. If not not so much. I'm not a fan of guns that are not accurate.

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 11/04/22 01:19 AM

Well here is another promised update on my rifle, I haven't been able to get time to shoot it lately but I did get out for a little while tonight. Since my last post, I did change the buffer to an H buffer to help with the ejection pattern to hopefully keep the brass from hitting me. Well tonight I put 25 rounds through the rifle and I had zero stoppages, and did not get hit a single time by brass so we have made great progress. I did have one load I tried produced a group 100 yard five shot group of 1.11 inches with 3 rounds a cloverleaf which shows a lot of promise, I will load up some more of those and see if that was a fluke or that load will work. The other loads that I tried were right around 2 inches but with one exception they were nice uniform groups. I am much happier with this rifle now than I was at first. I will probably just go sight it in with factory ammo and not mess with it anymore until after hunting season then try to find the preferred load for it.

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 11/04/22 02:10 AM

I read this . Still don’t want one ! Sorry I’ll stick to my bolt guns 222, 6mm ,270 and of course my inherited marlin 30-30 lever action .But you guys enjoy!!

I'm a Bolt Man myself. grin

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 11/04/22 01:14 PM

AT 300 YARDS !!!!! DANG I want one 1:11 in video . Yes left lane I have said on MANY occasions that they would be great for hog hunting !!! Mow them down. But where I live and how I hunt I have no use nor desire for one. But looks like fun and good luck .

You're Right Leftlane

If we had hogs

But then I'd still prefer an Old school Semi Auto.

My Stroke took away many disassemble- assemble abilities.

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 11/04/22 01:36 PM

in some places deer are as thick as hogs and people want them Shot so then it is a good deer gun. just not everyone's style of hunting

also no one said you had to shoot twice and not that 308 has a lot of recoil , in this package it has almost no recoil so you watch target impacts through the scope.
Posted By: WhiteCliffs

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 11/04/22 04:02 PM

I think makers of AR style weapons fail to properly embrace the advantages of these rifles. It is not just about the firepower. The adjustable stocks allow my 6’3” son, or my 4’5” grand daughter to use the same rifle. You go buy a scope and some picatinny compatible rings - no base required - they are built in and all those rings fit. Weapons lights fit in a variety of places on accessory rails. Five rd mags for deer hunting - 15 or 20 rd mags for hogs, and 30 rd mags for fun. A variety of grips to suit anyone’s fancy. Firing pin breaks - pretty much all AR firing pins work. Dont want to drop the cash for a complete rifle - just get a new upper - swap it out in 30 seconds with no tools. And the list goes on.

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 11/04/22 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteCliffs
I think makers of AR style weapons fail to properly embrace the advantages of these rifles. It is not just about the firepower. The adjustable stocks allow my 6’3” son, or my 4’5” grand daughter to use the same rifle. You go buy a scope and some picatinny compatible rings - no base required - they are built in and all those rings fit. Weapons lights fit in a variety of places on accessory rails. Five rd mags for deer hunting - 15 or 20 rd mags for hogs, and 30 rd mags for fun. A variety of grips to suit anyone’s fancy. Firing pin breaks - pretty much all AR firing pins work. Dont want to drop the cash for a complete rifle - just get a new upper - swap it out in 30 seconds with no tools. And the list goes on.

incredibly versatile
the Ruger SFAR with it's adjustable gas block would be interesting in that you use a tool to modify the gun to be a strait pull bolt action on setting zero.
so if you want to run suppressed and be as quite as possible setting zero never unlocks the bolt you have to pull the charging handle for the next round.

also the locking lugs are on the barrel extension and not the receiver so you have a part that is replaceable with the barrel and new bolts can be bough with a new barrel for a mated fit and you never have to send the gun in to a smith for head spacing.

the modularity is a huge factor in versatility.

Re: Don't open if you don't want to buy another gun. - 11/07/22 01:47 AM

we got out shooting at the farm today
he had 140 rounds in and had been getting good function on setting 3 after the first mag
we got to 180 rounds most of this was just the cheapest Aguila he could find on sale and we weren't shooting for groups today ,

the steel plate at 420 yards was the target and it was just stupid fun to ring it round after round , he decided it was too easy to shoot the plate prone so he started shooting it standing and he was getting it about half the time.

as we were on the last 20 rounds we noticed it was having signs of being over-gassed , going to turn it down to setting 2 for the next time out
© 2024 Trapperman Forums