Home

Well Pump Pressure Switch?

Posted By: Eagleye

Well Pump Pressure Switch? - 09/20/22 05:03 PM

The well doesn’t appear to be short-cycling (pump is not running) but the pressure switch is rapidly engaging and disengaging (“clicking”). I used some emery cloth to clean the contact points but still does it when water is running and sometimes without. If it was short cycling, I would think pressure tank but I’m leaning toward a bad and/or faulty pressure switch. Any thoughts before I start the replace a part troubleshooting.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Well Pump Pressure Switch? - 09/20/22 05:15 PM

probably bad switch but first easy thing to check is your air bladder in the pressure tank holding air does it have a Schneider valve you can check with a tire gauge ?

Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Well Pump Pressure Switch? - 09/20/22 05:19 PM

Sometimes if your tank don't have air in it then it is water logged, in which case you need to get some air in it. Usually for me its mud gets in the diaphragm on the switch. I have taken them apart and clean it up without tearing the diaphragm. I mount a new copper line on the switch and make it long enough to mount it up above everything else so the sediment goes somewhere other than settling in the switch.
Posted By: Jerry Jr.

Re: Well Pump Pressure Switch? - 09/20/22 05:28 PM

Yes, check the bladder. You can adjust the pressure switch for your top end and low end. If this just started I would be suspect of the bladder or switch. You should have a good bit of air in your bladder. If you do not, you will have cycling. If I understand you, it sounds like it is your switch since it is not turning on the pump. Pressure switches are easy and cheap to replace. I would check the bladder and then replace the switch.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Well Pump Pressure Switch? - 09/20/22 05:43 PM

Depending how old your system is you may not have a bladder in your tank, you may need to drain your take and refill. JMO

Re: Well Pump Pressure Switch? - 09/20/22 07:07 PM

I first checked the PSI in the pressure tank and it's @ 60psi and the tank is about 4 years old. Could be the pressure switch- for $29.00 a good place to start.
Posted By: ack

Re: Well Pump Pressure Switch? - 09/20/22 07:14 PM

Contacts will sometimes chatter. Really tough to file them flat enough. Turn off the owner and inspect. If their pitted ya might as well replace.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Well Pump Pressure Switch? - 09/20/22 07:26 PM

When I was on well water I kept a spare pressure switch on hand and needed it every few years.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Well Pump Pressure Switch? - 09/20/22 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by EdP
When I was on well water I kept a spare pressure switch on hand and needed it every few years.

Yup, still do here.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Well Pump Pressure Switch? - 09/20/22 07:39 PM

I like foxpaws reply of high mpunting the switch.
I get that, thanks.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Well Pump Pressure Switch? - 09/20/22 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Eagleye
I first checked the PSI in the pressure tank and it's @ 60psi and the tank is about 4 years old. Could be the pressure switch- for $29.00 a good place to start.

Did you empty the water from the tank before you checked the psi?
Posted By: Spade

Re: Well Pump Pressure Switch? - 09/20/22 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Eagleye

That sounds like you didn't empty the tank before checking your PSI, it should be set for 2-4 lbs under your cut on pressure. If you have a 30/50 pressure switch your tank should have 28 lbs of pressure in it when empty.

Re: Well Pump Pressure Switch? - 09/20/22 09:32 PM

I first emptied the tank and the pre-charge was at 30 lbs.- I have an inline pressure gauge that shows 60 PSI and the Schrader valve on the pressure tank also shows 60 PSI.
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: Well Pump Pressure Switch? - 09/20/22 11:22 PM

Sounds like your tank is Ok - change the switch -- also check the small diameter piping going to the switch as I have had some funny things happen when it is plugged or partieally plugged
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Well Pump Pressure Switch? - 09/21/22 01:07 AM

Sounds like a switch, otherwise you’d see the pressure dropping on your gauge if that’s happening you have bigger problems, when we had all the steers we would go through a switch a year from the pump cycling so much.
Posted By: Savell

Re: Well Pump Pressure Switch? - 09/21/22 01:42 AM

... been my experience contact points usually stick and you have no water... constant cycling is waterlogged.. let us know what it ends up being... good luck to you

Re: Well Pump Pressure Switch? - 09/21/22 01:59 PM

Follow-Up:
Always appreciate everyone taking the time to give input- it was the Pressure Switch... on to the next disaster smile
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Well Pump Pressure Switch? - 09/21/22 02:14 PM

Good got it solved and answered back as well.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Well Pump Pressure Switch? - 09/21/22 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Drifter
Good got it solved and answered back as well.

Posted By: charles

Re: Well Pump Pressure Switch? - 09/21/22 06:40 PM

Had a problem with ants getting between the contacts of an irrigation pump. Always in fall. They would also get into my AC units.

Re: Well Pump Pressure Switch? - 09/21/22 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by charles
Had a problem with ants getting between the contacts of an irrigation pump. Always in fall. They would also get into my AC units.

I feel the pain...Last year I had an earwig commit suicide in my AC Capacitor Switch
© 2024 Trapperman Forums