Home

Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ?

Posted By: Cragar

Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/21/22 06:33 PM

I don't like drunk drivers , but this is a bit much.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/ntsb-vehicles-alcohol-detectors-law#&_intcmp=hp1r_7,hp1r

Edit- sorry cannot get link to embed properly , info on Fox News.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/21/22 06:46 PM

Look up what congress critters are connected to the company making and monitoring the system should be interesting.
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/21/22 06:52 PM

Maybe we'll have to give up 'mouthwash' before driving. crazy
Posted By: warrior

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/21/22 06:59 PM

But what about dope or the fentanyl pouring across the open border?
Posted By: Kart29

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/21/22 07:04 PM

from the article:
NHTSA says on its website that "in order to be considered for widespread deployment, the DADSS technology must be seamless, accurate, and precise, and unobtrusive to the sober driver. It must also be proven reliable to be installed in the vehicle fleet and publically favorable."

Sadly, I suspect most of the public would find the idea favorable. frown
Posted By: bfflobo

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/21/22 07:32 PM

Would keep both Pelosi creeps off the road.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/21/22 07:36 PM

Treat everyone like a drunk driver in the name of safety. Sounds like the same argument they make for gun control............... Idiots.
Posted By: charles

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/21/22 11:19 PM

It will probably save some lives.

Lot of people will need cabs to get home. Some don't live in an area served by cabs. I grew up in a small town with no cabs. I wonder if some classes of vehicles will be excluded.
Posted By: yoteguts

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/21/22 11:23 PM

Yep and in Illinois you can get stopped with a truck bed full of dope of any kind and only get a court date. No detainment or cash bail.
Posted By: Woodsloafer72

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/21/22 11:33 PM

Guilty until proven innocent.
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/22/22 12:01 AM

I hope they can work all the bugs out, this could be a great thing. Way too many people die on our roads because of drunk drivers.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/22/22 12:22 AM

Noncompliance.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/22/22 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Nittany Lion
I hope they can work all the bugs out, this could be a great thing. Way too many people die on our roads because of drunk drivers.

Way too many people die on our roads because of speed. Instead, lets make all cars go no faster than 20 mph.
Makes as much sense.

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/22/22 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by charles

Lot of people will need cabs to get home. Some don't live in an area served by cabs. I grew up in a small town with no cabs. I wonder if some classes of vehicles will be excluded.

Banning private transportation would save more lives. Lets just do that.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/22/22 12:46 AM

After this there will have to be a working cell phone locked in the glove box b4 you can start a car. I'm guessing it would stop a few accidents
Posted By: minklessinpa

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/22/22 12:52 AM

a 50ft garden hose and some duct tape will defeat the breathalyzers. tape the hose to the nozzle of the device, blow into it and start the car. untape and stick the hose out the window to clear the "bad" air out.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/22/22 12:56 AM

Buy stock in balloons if this goes through.

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/22/22 12:58 AM

Absolutely ridiculous logic. NHTSA is obviously populated with morons.
Posted By: Savell

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/22/22 01:04 AM

... good thing it’s just cars
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/22/22 01:22 AM

Often from head injuries too. Make car drivers and passengers wear helmets.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/22/22 01:24 AM

Semis are already governed...........govern cars too.
Posted By: CoonsBane

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/22/22 01:34 AM

The article read about it was going to use some technology that checks through the skin, no blowing required.

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/22/22 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by CoonsBane
The article read about it was going to use some technology that checks through the skin, no blowing required.

Oh great, what could possibly go wrong with that.

I’m guessing a lot of you guys that are for this, are against gun control. But, your using the same lines as the anti gun nuts. The world can be a dangerous place, giving away our freedoms one at a time in the name of safety is not going change that.
Posted By: Quartermastersir

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/22/22 01:49 AM

I'm not sure, but I don't think there is a "right" to drive so they may be on perfectly legal grounds to put whatever dumb buttocks law or restriction in place they want.

But I'm not sure that the drunk drivers are going to be using vehicles with the gizmo installed, might be out of their price range after a few DWI OR DUI's.
They're already probably driving without that pesky license thing, or that nuisance insurance, or that silly blood alcohol content law. Do we really think another law is going to stop them from driving under the influence? That philosophy has worked so very well elsewhere.
We're getting "beaver structure" close to the meme about banning all drivers to combat drunk drivers.

besides won't all this become moot when we are all riding in electric self driving cars? wink
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/22/22 01:50 AM

In my case you are guessing wrong. I am a supporter of the 2nd, I am not a supporter of drunk driving.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/22/22 01:53 AM

Hey ...in NH ..you don’t have to wear a helmet while riding a Motorcycle ! Live Free or Die !
Posted By: k snow

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/22/22 02:02 AM

Maybe if we enforced real drunk driving laws, instead of letting people rack up double digits offenses....

I shouldn't have to prove I'm sober to drive.

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/22/22 02:48 AM

Am I the only one that finds it disturbing how many are willing to give up freedoms for a false sense of security especially here?

Our country truly is lost.
Posted By: BandB

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/22/22 02:55 AM

Why not just let the credit card company track any alcoholic beverage purchases and shut down the car when one is made?

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/22/22 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Am I the only one that finds it disturbing how many are willing to give up freedoms for a false sense of security especially here?

...you’re one of the few good yankees
Posted By: Woodsloafer72

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/22/22 03:00 AM

You ain't the only one.

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/22/22 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Savell

That's good to hear. Can I get an honorary Southerners passport?

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/22/22 03:05 AM

No need for a passport .. it’s y’all’s world we’re just breathing alcohol into it

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/22/22 03:11 AM

No need for a passport .. it’s y’all’s world we’re just breathing alcohol into it

It's Sam Adam's Octoberfest again tonight.

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/22/22 11:26 AM

In my case you are guessing wrong. I am a supporter of the 2nd, I am not a supporter of drunk driving.

That actually was my guess. Against gun control, but using the same phrases as gun control folks.

Good guess.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/22/22 12:45 PM

So does that mean that having a bottle in the glove box is now accepted. Blow into the tube before you start the car and then start to drink. I think I will make shot glass adapters for the cup holders ... there could be a new market .... I am going to be rich grin

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/22/22 01:44 PM

Couldn't be that hard to find a way to defeat the gizmo. Or heck... just leave the car running in the parking lot when you head into the saloon.

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/22/22 01:46 PM

Pfffft! That's it, PFarm... "You're a credit to your race"!
shocked
Posted By: charles

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/22/22 01:55 PM

Think positively. Could be your child’s life that is saved, or you entire family! Yes, it might be a few seconds of inconvenience.

Wonder if commercial pilots should be tested also.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/22/22 02:00 PM

So do laws against abortion.
Posted By: DaveP

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/22/22 02:01 PM

Yup, may their chains rest lightly upon them...

Beyond the whole presumed guilty until proven innocent thing,
this adds HOW much to cost of each car?

And soon, the ability to.remotely disable your car will be mandatory.
LOL, the next lockdown WILL be enforced..

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/22/22 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by trapdog1

Way too many people die on our roads because of speed. Instead, lets make all cars go no faster than 20 mph.
Makes as much sense.

Actually that would have to be 10mph, just in case of a head on collision.

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/22/22 02:03 PM

Think positively. Could be your child’s life that is saved, or you entire family! Yes, it might be a few seconds of inconvenience.

Wonder if commercial pilots should be tested also.

Nope my son was killed by a sober 19 year old that ran a red light. In a 3/4 ton Chevy and hit us at 65mph. So do we Raise the driving age, ban 3/4 ton vehicles from traveling over 30mph, make privet ownership of vehicles illegal.
It is not a hypothetical my son WAS killed. Your argument and willingness to accept government intrusion are both weak and short sighted.

You sound like a gun control zealot with just as weak and nonforward thinking abilities.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/22/22 02:04 PM

What is the cost to install this in every vehicle in the nation?

Guy I worked with was first in our county to get one.
He had a fortune tied up in no time.
Cured him, he quit driving.

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/22/22 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by DaveP

Yup, may their chains rest lightly upon them...

Beyond the whole presumed guilty until proven innocent thing,
this adds HOW much to cost of each car?

And soon, the ability to.remotely disable your car will be mandatory.
LOL, the next lockdown WILL be enforced..for the children
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/22/22 02:10 PM

“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

Ben Franklin
Posted By: fishnhunts

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/22/22 03:55 PM

This is ridiculous. Next thing you know, your car will pull over if you don't have 2 hands on the wheel. There will be a big market for mechanics to disable this off the books. I don't even drink. New cars and trucks are already out of sight $$$ wise, a lot of this is due to outrageous regulation like this that auto makers are forced by the government to install.

I will never be able to understand the amount of people that want to live in a nanny state...
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/22/22 04:18 PM

Sounds eerily similar to the justifications for contact tracing, shutdowns, mask mandates, social distancing, vaccine and booster mandates.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/22/22 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Trapset
Treat everyone like a drunk driver in the name of safety. Sounds like the same argument they make for gun control............... Idiots.

Or, how to stop drunk drivers from killing sober drivers? Ban sober drivers from driving. That's how gun control works.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/22/22 04:39 PM

I am not going to do it. Problem solved
Posted By: washxc

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/22/22 04:41 PM

As someone who works in the sobriety compliance side of court cases I can tell you that you do not want one of these devices in your car. They're expensive and they malfunction. If you do something the device doesn't like, it will lock you out of being able to drive your car. Want to guess how the device is unlocked? You have to call the company and pay more money to have it unlocked. Haven't paid your fees? They can lock you out. As previously alluded to in this post, the possibilities are endless for reasons to remotely shut down your vehicle. On the flip side, special interest groups will get really, really rich, which seems to be the modus operandi of current politics.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Breathalyzers in ALL cars , soon ? - 09/22/22 04:48 PM

It look like I am going to drive my EPA free diesel truck for a looooong time to come. Way longer than sniffy is looking at the green side of the grass
© 2024 Trapperman Forums