Home

horizontal skinner set up

Posted By: trappersully

horizontal skinner set up - 09/22/22 02:11 PM

I'm getting ready to set up a horizontal skinning machine, for the guys that have them what is the best height to mount it at, anyone with pictures, tips? Thanks
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: horizontal skinner set up - 09/22/22 03:33 PM

Saw one at coyote days a few yrs ago. Can't remember who was building them. Seems like it was the right height to be done setting down.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: horizontal skinner set up - 09/23/22 04:17 AM

I built a few back when I sold skinning machines. Most people want the animal around 32-36" off the floor for standing to skin, adjust for your own body height.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Personally if room height is the concern I'd choose a roller style skinning machine. A&J Skinning Machines sells a nice one I designed many years ago. They have since taken over building my designs with my permission and initial guidance.

[Linked Image]

With this style if you run out of pulling height, you just lower the critter and roll up more hide then continue the pull. If I had to start over with a new skinner this is the style I'd choose.
Posted By: jk

Re: horizontal skinner set up - 09/23/22 10:50 AM

I had a horizontal set up, not electric---because of my back problems. But I had no table under it, it worked for me, I could spin them around as the bucket(weighted heavy) pulled them across. Dont use it anymore as I dont do large numbers of critters anymore.......jk
Posted By: trappersully

Re: horizontal skinner set up - 09/23/22 10:57 AM

Thanks for the info ,anyone else?
Posted By: yoteguts

Re: horizontal skinner set up - 09/23/22 11:20 AM

Uni strut no weld design. Skinned this way after my shoulder surgery. I agree with ADC. If yotes ever shine again I’ll go with a roller set up. Two 12’ 2x12 boards.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: horizontal skinner set up - 09/23/22 11:23 AM

I'll try and get some pics and measurements this evening. My is a little higher than the ones pictured
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: horizontal skinner set up - 09/23/22 08:46 PM

Do you need more room to run the knife ,like have that area open?

Re: horizontal skinner set up - 09/24/22 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by Tactical.20
Do you need more room to run the knife ,like have that area open?

There is no knife work after they are on the machine until you get to the head and it rides pretty high for good access.

Re: horizontal skinner set up - 09/24/22 02:35 AM

I ripped a couple last year doing that
Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

Re: horizontal skinner set up - 09/24/22 02:45 AM

The first fur dealer I went to 55 years ago , had one , never seen him use it.
I would skin my fur there, and help skin some of his.
Just seemed to be odd to me and not like a vertical skinner , that you can turn the carcass around to cut if you needed to on the back side.
Never used it, and never seen him use it, he just told me what it was , but never asked if I wanted to try it.
I didn't like it , but never tried it either .

Re: horizontal skinner set up - 09/24/22 02:48 AM

I don't know what to tell you. You must be doing something wrong. Are you pulling down on the tail as the machine pulls the coyote up? If you're not, that is your mistake.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: horizontal skinner set up - 09/24/22 01:06 PM

Nice looking set ups

Re: horizontal skinner set up - 09/24/22 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~

I don't know what to tell you. You must be doing something wrong. Are you pulling down on the tail as the machine pulls the coyote up? If you're not, that is your mistake.

I'll try that, it was my first year with a puller, I think two female ripped.

So as it starts to pull skin down, I hold the tail up so it pulls easier?
Posted By: Marathon

Re: horizontal skinner set up - 09/24/22 02:02 PM

I didn't have the horizontal or vertical room, so I ran mine at an angle. I also started flipping the animal (fur up and carcass down) to eliminate blood issues.

Re: horizontal skinner set up - 09/24/22 02:05 PM

I'll try that, it was my first year with a puller, I think two female ripped.

So as it starts to pull skin down, I hold the tail up so it pulls easier?

Note the times that he pulls down on the hide to help. This prevents tearing. Also cut off the front legs just above the elbow before you start. Warmer coyotes are easier but it still works for cold ones.

Re: horizontal skinner set up - 09/24/22 02:12 PM

Here's a couple more options as well...

And of course my original design...

Re: horizontal skinner set up - 09/24/22 02:18 PM

My horizontal is 12 foot long animal at 55 inches high. Can't get good pics because it packed away in storage right now

Re: horizontal skinner set up - 09/24/22 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
My horizontal is 12 foot long animal at 55 inches high. Can't get good pics because it packed away in storage right now

Dang you must be about 7' tall. lol That would be right up at eye level though, no bending over which would be nice.

Re: horizontal skinner set up - 09/24/22 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Yes sir

Dang you must be about 7' tall. lol That would be right up at eye level though, no bending over which would be nice.

Bullet proof too. Lol eye level works real good for me
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: horizontal skinner set up - 09/24/22 04:06 PM

grin
© 2024 Trapperman Forums