Home

Fur prices or what is marketable

Posted By: red mt

Fur prices or what is marketable - 09/24/22 12:06 AM

I was told by a buyer Coyotes are a bad bet,,, not only are they not wanted but they can ñot move them.
Beaver looks ok if you got heavy beaver and muskrats are moveable but how do you say but not demand .
Cats only the top of the heap A+ the rest are discounted heavily .
The way it is
Ps coyotes ( references are talking the best of best coyotes Montana Canadian type are not wanted or moveable unless you are lookiñg at nickels and dimes under 25 top average .
Do not kill the messagare lol
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Fur prices or what is marketable - 09/24/22 12:16 AM

I’d say your info is accurate.
Posted By: Tom Fisher

Re: Fur prices or what is marketable - 09/24/22 01:25 AM

Ouch!
Posted By: GWGjr

Re: Fur prices or what is marketable - 09/24/22 02:08 AM

Pretty much what I heard here about a month ago. Buyer flat out said he wasn't buying ANY coyote and finished beaver will be bought on a per pound basis.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Fur prices or what is marketable - 09/24/22 02:14 AM

One of the buyers that bought in our area last year has all of the coyotes that he bought last year yet. Rats are down a good $1 or so from last year if buyers want them from what I have heard the last few weeks.There is a better market for the very best coon, but at what price and what defines a very good coon. Beaver will be in demand but at market clearing prices so I don't anticipate a big price increase just that one can move all of them.
My trapping area has coons, rats, mink, fox, and coyote so I am dealing with the low demand items.
Bryce
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Fur prices or what is marketable - 09/24/22 02:21 AM

I think this year I am going trap and be like some others. Put the fur up and send to get tanned then sell. Might try that for one season.
Posted By: Shakeyjake

Re: Fur prices or what is marketable - 09/24/22 03:05 AM

I heard Mr Wong told buyers to hold off for a year…..it’ll pick up.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Fur prices or what is marketable - 09/24/22 03:08 AM

Good year to hone skills and tan for personal use.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Fur prices or what is marketable - 09/24/22 12:16 PM

i had two years worth of fur tanned and a few months ago a guy that i met at a convention call me said he was coming through town and was looking for some fur , he bought eveything i had at a very good price
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Fur prices or what is marketable - 09/25/22 01:28 AM

People can't eat fur, well, maybe they can but its a lot harder then eating regular food. Multiple scales of economies turning turtle, other things are more important to spend money on...
Posted By: dixieland

Re: Fur prices or what is marketable - 09/25/22 01:57 AM

I don’t live or trap in those Northern good fur producing areas, but every coon I catch, I just say there’s another Turkey nest saved, and that makes it worthwhile. As for coyotes, I’d rather call them in than trap.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Fur prices or what is marketable - 09/25/22 02:12 AM

eek
Posted By: MJM

Re: Fur prices or what is marketable - 09/25/22 02:56 PM

The coyote market lasted about twice as long as I thought it would. I think it lasted longer than ever before. It only took 30 years for it to come back this last time.
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: Fur prices or what is marketable - 09/25/22 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by red mt
I was told by a buyer Coyotes are a bad bet,,, not only are they not wanted but they can ñot move them.
Beaver looks ok if you got heavy beaver and muskrats are moveable but how do you say but not demand .
The way it is
Ps coyotes ( references are talking the best of best coyotes Montana Canadian type are not wanted or moveable unless you are lookiñg at nickels and dimes under 25 top average .

I would bet the best of the best still hit $50+, and we are talking Montana types here, just to be clear.
Posted By: steeltraps

Re: Fur prices or what is marketable - 09/25/22 04:44 PM

Wonder what a prime Alabama coyote pelt will bring?
Posted By: Jkeith

Re: Fur prices or what is marketable - 09/25/22 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by steeltraps

Well, given the above, it sounds like the same as a summer Alabama coyote pelt....

Re: Fur prices or what is marketable - 09/25/22 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by wy.wolfer
Originally Posted by red mt
The way it is

I would bet the best of the best still hit $50+, and we are talking Montana types here, just to be clear.

Maybe if you find a buyer that want them but,,, the buyer I deal with a lot does not want them at any price .
Kind of like A+ type cat one in how many ????
Posted By: mink99

Re: Fur prices or what is marketable - 09/25/22 06:26 PM

There has been a couple of ranch mink sales recently. Sales percentages are up along with price. Should maybe bump muskrats a bit. Trade has come to realize that ranch mink will be in short supply in the coming years.
Posted By: curtisd

Re: Fur prices or what is marketable - 09/25/22 06:49 PM

its going be what its going to be. i cant control it.

the money is nice but has never been the reason i trap. i went to work everyday for the money and didnt enjoy that much. i can enjoy trapping even if theres no money.
come opening day i will be out there setting traps in the mornings and deer hunting most afternoons with some fishing squeezed in when i get the chance..

i can understand if some people cant or dont want to, but if i can just pay my gas bill i be good.
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Fur prices or what is marketable - 09/25/22 08:18 PM

Still stealing traps and Fur so someone thinks it has a value
Posted By: marathonman

Re: Fur prices or what is marketable - 09/25/22 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by curtisd

the money is nice but has never been the reason i trap. i went to work everyday for the money and didnt enjoy that much. i can enjoy trapping even if theres no money.
come opening day i will be out there setting traps in the mornings and deer hunting most afternoons with some fishing squeezed in when i get the chance..

i can understand if some people cant or dont want to, but if i can just pay my gas bill i be good.

Good luck on that…..

Re: Fur prices or what is marketable - 09/26/22 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by marathonman

Good luck on that…..

Re: Fur prices or what is marketable - 09/26/22 12:12 AM

i have over 2000 acres of private ground all within 5 miles of my house. almost all my trapping is done on a side by side.

i can run a long ways with very little gas.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Fur prices or what is marketable - 09/26/22 06:06 PM

The reason coyote are not moving is that they were bought too high on a falling market, and now the owners have far more invested than they can sell for. The only remedy is to buy more coyote below value to average the inventory down. It's gonna suck for a while.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Fur prices or what is marketable - 09/26/22 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by walleye101
The reason coyote are not moving is that they were bought too high on a falling market, and now the owners have far more invested than they can sell for. The only remedy is to buy more coyote below value to average the inventory down. It's gonna suck for a while.

So true
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Fur prices or what is marketable - 09/27/22 12:59 AM

On a brighter note, with recent clearances on beaver, any significant uptick in demand could result in some immediate improvement in prices. Gotta look for some positive news.

Re: Fur prices or what is marketable - 09/27/22 02:13 AM

Beaver will shine again
Coyote market was hurt exactly for the reason's walleye 101 say's imo.
Buyer could not or would not buy the the best of the best so they and bought inferior coyotes and payed to much . Because they thought they could get them through in a good market and did for the most part until everybody caught on .
Posted By: VaBeagler

Re: Fur prices or what is marketable - 09/27/22 03:33 AM

Nothing.
Posted By: ultratec1

Re: Fur prices or what is marketable - 09/27/22 04:17 PM

Best statement I have read.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Fur prices or what is marketable - 09/27/22 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by VaBeagler

Nothing.

So exactly twice what a prime So Texas coyote will bring?
I'm jealous and Savell will be too when he reads this. He will probably start and entire thread insulting Jtrap!
grin
Posted By: steeltraps

Re: Fur prices or what is marketable - 09/27/22 05:49 PM

Leftlane. Several years ago I knew a guy from North Alabama that sent in 3 or 4 dz coyote pelts. He had a 5 dollar average. He was upset cause 1 coyote brought 50 cents. LoL!
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Fur prices or what is marketable - 09/27/22 07:28 PM

Ha it's all perspective isn't it?
If gas was $1 and a dozen coyote traps were only $100 then 5 dollar coyotes would be in trouble!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums