Home

Pawpaws?

Posted By: cathryn

Pawpaws? - 09/25/22 05:11 PM

We picked up a bucket of them today up at the farm.
Its been a good year for them.

Do any of yall eat them?

We think theyd make good bait for trapping.

I might mix up a concoction to try. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Pawpaws? - 09/25/22 05:17 PM

I got a gallon bag full yesterday. Just a few were ripe and ready to eat.. When they get soft to the touch they are ready to eat.

I agree a good year in some places.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Pawpaws? - 09/25/22 05:32 PM

Don't have any trees myself but a friend does. Was going to call him this week to see if they're ready. I love to eat them. A custard like consistency is what I tell people
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Pawpaws? - 09/25/22 06:25 PM

Unfortunately i don't see much animal activity at pawpaws in the wild here. Walked by too many rotted ones. Maybe not around here or just that particular area. Ive picked a bunch whenever i can find ripe ones

Re: Pawpaws? - 09/25/22 06:35 PM

SniperBBB. we saw tbat there wasnt any animals eating them either but
We have cameras out so we know there are coons,deer and one big black bear in very close proximity.
So we dont know why theyre not being eaten.
Maybe theres another source of food close?
Posted By: WhiteCliffs

Re: Pawpaws? - 09/25/22 06:49 PM

Never - in my 67 years - seen a pawpaw on the ground. Coons and possums here eat them before the ever fall - just like they eat my apples two months before the get ripe.
Posted By: DaveP

Re: Pawpaws? - 09/25/22 07:01 PM

Wife made a custardy pie out of them 30 years ago.
Time to try again, lol.

Got it in my head they might make good ice cream.

Re: Pawpaws? - 09/25/22 07:33 PM

They might make good ice cream.

Jerry doesnt like them in amything.

Re: Pawpaws? - 09/25/22 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by cathryn
We have cameras out so we know there are coons,deer and one big black bear in very close proximity.

Another food source is the only reason I can think of but I just cant figure out what that source is. Id surely think that it would be better than any of the various nut trees. Especially since pawpaws have a more limited shelf life than a acorn, hickory or chestnut is.

Ive never tried pawpaw ice cream... though when you put em in the fridge and pull out a chilled pawpaw its aboutike eating ice cream. I'll be making some pawpaw cheesecakes here soon with the pulp ive saved in the freezer.
Posted By: DaveP

Re: Pawpaws? - 09/25/22 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝
Originally Posted by cathryn

Another food source is the only reason I can think of but I just cant figure out what that source is. Id surely think that it would be better than any of the various nut trees. Especially since pawpaws have a more limited shelf life than a acorn, hickory or chestnut is.

Ive never tried pawpaw ice cream... though when you put em in the fridge and pull out a chilled pawpaw its aboutike eating ice cream. I'll be making some pawpaw cheesecakes here soon with the pulp ive saved in the freezer.

Ok, now I've got to.try them in ice cream AND cheesecake, thanks!
Posted By: Strut10

Re: Pawpaws? - 09/25/22 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
I got a gallon bag full yesterday. Just a few were ripe and ready to eat.. When they get soft to the touch they are ready to eat.

Whereabouts in SW PA ??

Never saw or even knew or a pawpaw tree in Indiana or Armstrong counties except the few I planted. And those ones don't wanna grow.....
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Pawpaws? - 09/25/22 09:02 PM

[Linked Image]
Just picked a few
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Pawpaws? - 09/25/22 09:25 PM

Growing up I remember several trees on the river bank but buy the time they hit the ground the critters were all over the fruit. Is it possible the wild life have found another bumper crop close by? Maybe wild berries or something similar?
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Pawpaws? - 09/25/22 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Turtledale
Don't have any trees myself but a friend does. Was going to call him this week to see if they're ready. I love to eat them. A custard like consistency is what I tell people

That 's likey to be too late, mine were loaded this year and the Coons and Fox had a ball, while driving the hounds nuts!

Re: Pawpaws? - 09/25/22 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Strut10
Originally Posted by Bob Jameson

Whereabouts in SW PA ??

Never saw or even knew or a pawpaw tree in Indiana or Armstrong counties except the few I planted. And those ones don't wanna grow.....

They are a finicky plant to get started and needs a lot of protection, especially from the sun, the first few years. Tend to develop more root than trunk.
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Pawpaws? - 09/26/22 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteCliffs
Never - in my 67 years - seen a pawpaw on the ground. Coons and possums here eat them before the ever fall - just like they eat my apples two months before the get ripe.

Me too. The only way I have ever got any was to shake the trees. I like them but once a year is probably enough. I used to mix them with feed molasses for coons. More of a early warm weather bait I thought.

Re: Pawpaws? - 09/26/22 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Foxpaw
Originally Posted by WhiteCliffs

Me too. The only way I have ever got any was to shake the trees. I like them but once a year is probably enough. I used to mix them with feed molasses for coons. More of a early warm weather bait I thought.

It was crazy but they were laying everywhere.

Lots of overripe ones too on the ground that you could smell walking up the the stand of trees.

When i was a kid you had to beat the critters to them.

My dad hqd tk check them every day to get some.
Posted By: coonlove

Re: Pawpaws? - 09/26/22 02:55 PM

Granny on the Beverly hillbillies made pickled paw paws......................
© 2024 Trapperman Forums