Home

Historical Marker Signpost

Posted By: Gulo

Historical Marker Signpost - 09/25/22 06:53 PM

I usually enjoy the historical markers along the roadways, but I don't often stop. These are ones I've gotten a kick out of over the years.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Jack
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Historical Marker Signpost - 09/25/22 07:09 PM

grin Great signs, Jack . I like the Tendoy history !
Posted By: white17

Re: Historical Marker Signpost - 09/25/22 07:20 PM

There are some really cool signs around your neck of the woods.

This reminds me of a spot on the Trinity River in CA. Really steep country and a pretty decent flow of water.

There is no sign but here's the story about the power of nature.

China Slide is about 45 miles west of Weaverville on Highway 299 in a steep, rugged area along the Trinity River. A large landslide occurred in the area in 1881. Although others refused to work the gold-bearing gravel deposits because of the threat of landslides, the Chinese leased the property. They were successful until January 3, 1890, when a landslide occurred. The slide measured about one-third of a mile in length and one-tenth of a mile in width. It killed two Chinese miners, dammed the river and created a lake twelve miles in length. Reference: Gudde 1969: 63; Jones 1981: 246-47; United States Geological Survey 1982e.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Historical Marker Signpost - 09/25/22 07:34 PM

I remember the top sign about the Chinese hanging from a 2019 spring bear hunt in unit 10. We drove up Greer Grade, through Weippe and Pierce and on to the outfitter's staging area before taking horses and mules into his camp beside Kelly Creek near Kelly's Thumb. Great trip with a top notch outfitter and his camp jack.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Historical Marker Signpost - 09/25/22 08:29 PM

i was out there hunting elk and came on a sign that said Lewis and Clark ate their horse there smile
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Historical Marker Signpost - 09/25/22 08:49 PM

Never know what you'll find I like stopping and reading when I'm not in a hurry. Not many mines from where Yessir lives cattle driven up the Chisholm Trail trampled over wagon ruts from the Sante Fe trail. Lots of significant historical markers to find there.
Posted By: Slick Pan

Re: Historical Marker Signpost - 09/25/22 09:19 PM

Trapper Peak is a very special place. You can hike to it.[Linked Image]
Posted By: MNTrapper21

Re: Historical Marker Signpost - 09/25/22 09:20 PM

Sounds like they got what they deserved. Cool photo
Posted By: Gulo

Re: Historical Marker Signpost - 09/25/22 09:29 PM

Yes, Slick Pan, I really like Trapper Peak. Will be driving by it tomorrow.

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums