Home

Transmission guys???

Posted By: Gary Benson

Transmission guys??? - 09/26/22 12:09 PM

My 2015 Silverado transmission is acting up. Sometimes it shifts just fine and sometimes it acts like it's slipping, runs up to a high RPM before shifting, downshifts at a high rpm when slowing down, etc. Is there a shifting module or something that can be replaced? Anybody had this problem?
Posted By: wrestlecoach

Re: Transmission guys??? - 09/26/22 12:16 PM

Just had my 2015 Silverado transmission replaced. Started with what you are describing. Thought I had a bad tank of gas at first because of hesitation. Tried to run that tank through, and transmission went out. No one around my area would rebuild it, they all said common problem? New transmission and transfer case $5,300.
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Transmission guys??? - 09/26/22 12:22 PM

My son has a 2017 suburban, driving down the road about every 4-5 miles is would "stutter" for just a second. Dealer looked into it, couldn't figure it out. Three weeks later transmission went out.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Transmission guys??? - 09/26/22 01:24 PM

A buddy just replaced his Silverado's 2016 tranny. Started with same symptoms. His was around 4K with new cooler.
Posted By: Badger23

Re: Transmission guys??? - 09/26/22 01:49 PM

Sounds like a truck to avoid in those years to me. Can any of the auto companies make a truck recently that doesn't have a mountain of issues??

We've got a 2015 malibu with a rebuilt title and it's been a great car so far.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Transmission guys??? - 09/26/22 01:53 PM

Whats a rebuilt title? Or did you mispeak and mean tranny, cars not alphabet people LOL
Posted By: Boco

Re: Transmission guys??? - 09/26/22 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Badger23
Sounds like a truck to avoid in those years to me. Can any of the auto companies make a truck recently that doesn't have a mountain of issues??

Ford.Only problem so far with the old 2017 was burning brakes from a stuck caliper.
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: Transmission guys??? - 09/26/22 02:10 PM

How many miles did we get on our 1970's cars before the transmissions went out?

Today, we put 150-200 thousand miles on an overdrive and expect no less!
Posted By: Badger23

Re: Transmission guys??? - 09/26/22 02:18 PM

A rebuilt title is a car that was in a wreck, repaired, and went through a state inspection to be licensed again. We bought ours in 2016 with 15K on it and we now have 99K on it. It doesn't take much total a car out that's been in a wreck. Just ask Nessmuck the auto body guy here.
I'd stay away from flood damaged vehicles unless you know for certain how much water was in the car and around the engine area.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Transmission guys??? - 09/26/22 02:19 PM

Does that year still have a speed sensor? If so that’s a cheap check.
Years ago I had a company truck Chevy do that at about 2 years old. It was an 03. After a host of tranny shops and dealerships telling me replace all I found a tranny guy who drove it and said pfft valve body. At that time a valve body was a couple hundred, installed it in my shop. Maybe a couple of hours. Perfect.
I don’t know how these newer trucks are configured, just seems like even today no one wants to find the specific issue, just replace all. I hope it works out for you.

Osky

An idea might be to go online to a forum of those truck owners. Wealth of information in those places.
Posted By: Crowfoot

Re: Transmission guys??? - 09/26/22 03:15 PM

My 1500 4wd is a little older, but the torque converter is what went first. @ about 200K mi.
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: Transmission guys??? - 09/26/22 03:45 PM

Good time to buy the extended warranty.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Transmission guys??? - 09/26/22 05:11 PM

Just traded off my 2014 . It has done that from day one. But 99,990 miles and drive train warranty went away at 100,000 . Local dealer has a 2015 on his lot been there since april waiting on a transmission. So I traded...
Posted By: imissed

Re: Transmission guys??? - 09/26/22 08:04 PM

You had to mention tranny problems. mad A week ago my '16 jeep started shifting funny so I got an appoint made for it. Its tomorrow. Today my '07 truck start slipping real bad. Wasn't sure if I would make it home. Called the tranny shop and explained my problem. Asked if I could bring the truck instead of the Jeep. He said something about me having bad luck and to bring the truck if I wanted. I need my truck in 2 weeks for a deer hunt. Hope it'll br done by then!!
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Transmission guys??? - 09/26/22 09:08 PM

A rebuilt title is a car that was in a wreck, repaired, and went through a state inspection to be licensed again. We bought ours in 2016 with 15K on it and we now have 99K on it. It doesn't take much total a car out that's been in a wreck. Just ask Nessmuck the auto body guy here.
I'd stay away from flood damaged vehicles unless you know for certain how much water was in the car and around the engine area.

K, here we call them "Salvage" titles. Thanks.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Transmission guys??? - 09/26/22 09:27 PM

To all - avoid flood damaged cars like the plague. Not even good for a parts car. With today's electronics , it will be a headache for sure , even lightly flooded. Rust will pop up very quickly too.

The only way I would buy a flooded car is I could get it for far lower than it's scrap value and then scrap it immediately.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Transmission guys??? - 09/26/22 11:15 PM

If it’s a ongoing issue with those models I doubt a used one would be worth the effort unless you find a low mile wreck. Me I’d swap it out myself but that’s nothing new for me to do.
Posted By: RustyShacklefrd

Re: Transmission guys??? - 09/26/22 11:15 PM

I have a 14 Silverado I use for work
450 000k on it. Third transmission
Posted By: imissed

Re: Transmission guys??? - 09/26/22 11:22 PM

I think we sound like dave! laugh
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Transmission guys??? - 09/26/22 11:28 PM

This truck has 167000 miles on it so I really can't complain. It's pulled a camper to Wyoming and back many many times. Stopped at an AAMCO today and he said he could rebuild my tranny for $4100 so I'm dropping it off tomorrow for a proper diagnosis. Maybe it's something simple but I won't hold my breath. Thought it was going to leave me stranded in Kansas City yesterday. It's really been pretty good to me. The engine is still good.
Posted By: trapdye

Re: Transmission guys??? - 09/26/22 11:39 PM

Have a 2015 Chevy 3/4 ton at the shop 65,000 & third transmission, first went out at 12,000 under warranty. ,;pputyrteASxcgo
© 2024 Trapperman Forums