Home

First Fur shed!

Posted By: TheYouthTrapper

First Fur shed! - 09/27/22 04:39 AM

A little backstory first, I built this shed a year or two ago and the dimensions are 7ft wide by 8 ft deep and 8 ft tall ceiling. I built it with a friend, my dad, and me, my dad taught me and my friend through the framing of the walls, hanging the doors, sheathing it, and doing the final touches. I painted it a couple of months after it had got done and put a wood stove I found off of Facebook marketplace in it to heat it. The wood stove is a Military Surplus M1950, it had all original parts down to the brown waxed paper packaging everything came in, it even had shipping oil on it still. I have heard it's around 50-60k BTUs. I got the motivation to start transforming it because I would really like to process some of my own furs this year and I think I will really enjoy sitting in the fur shed by myself while working away. We also had a family friend who was putting tin on their shed and the crew over-torqued it and it ended up getting unusable for that so It will be tinned over hopefully by the end of the weekend. Anyways with all of that out of the way, let me post some pictures.

[Linked Image]

View from the door of the shed

[Linked Image]

Skinning, fleshing, boarding, trap mod bench, it's a little rickety but it'll be fine for the first year.

[Linked Image]

Here's the loft with all of the coyote, fox, mink, weasel, and bobcat wood stretchers. It also has about a half dozen wire raccoon stretchers and a few 1.5 victor stretchers.

[Linked Image]

Here's the hunk of steel that will heat this place throughout the whole winter/fall.

Thank you for reading!

-TheYouthTrapper
Posted By: Kevin Colpetzer

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/27/22 05:10 AM

That stove is gonna cook you out unless you just idle it. I’d look for a electric baseboard heater for a shed that size
Posted By: BigBob

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/27/22 05:41 AM

Looks like a death trap to me! seriously, that's way too much flamable material, way too close to/for that stove. Looks like your aware of the danger from those stone ?, heat shields, but the wall studs are vulnerable to heat, which will be impressive, and should be at last 36" away from the stove body and flue pipe.

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/27/22 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Colpetzer
That stove is gonna cook you out unless you just idle it. I’d look for a electric baseboard heater for a shed that size

The plan is to just idle it, I've ran it for 1.5-2 years so far so I have it down to how to run it. I would love to put an electric heater in it but they don't come up for as cheap as I want to get one.

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/27/22 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by BigBob
Looks like a death trap to me! seriously, that's way too much flamable material, way too close to/for that stove. Looks like your aware of the danger from those stone ?, heat shields, but the wall studs are vulnerable to heat, which will be impressive, and should be at last 36" away from the stove body and flue pipe.

I don't know, before we added the pavers it would cook the studs but after we added the pavers, the pavers were the only thing getting hot which is their job to do. I would like to put an electric heater in but everyone is asking too much for them. I've ran it for quite a while like this and haven't had any issues with this current setup.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/27/22 07:27 AM

Looks like your set up. You got a skinning gambrel in the shed?
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/27/22 08:59 AM

sounds like you have it all set be careful ,and have a great time
Posted By: BigBob

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/27/22 09:48 AM

You might try Ebay etc for a used one, consider something like a Coleman heater for that small an area. Good luck.
Posted By: Longbeard12

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/27/22 09:54 AM

Great looking fur shed!! Hope you have lots of memories in there!!
Posted By: newfox1

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/27/22 10:13 AM

Looks good, I was 50 before I built one, enjoy.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/27/22 10:32 AM

That is the nicest looking floor I've ever seen in a fur shed!
Also nice that you learned some carpentry skills in the building process. That will come in handy when you build your next, much bigger one someday.
Posted By: micheal

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/27/22 11:21 AM

Looks good
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/27/22 11:34 AM

WTG first man land.
I'm not being a butt head, I bet if you visit your local fire house
they will stop over and red tag,, lol er offer suggestions to make it safer.
Because it worked good last time means nothing.
There is a lot of room for improving that stove set up.
Ya did good.
Posted By: Osky

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/27/22 12:03 PM

Agreed as above. Great job on the shed but the heat system is touchy. Plenty of ventilation I hope.
Have you considered cutting styrofoam insulation pieces for between your studs and then a plug in milk house heater type source?
At that size it should be plenty of safe heat.
Processing furs no matter the valu is not worth dying over.

Osky
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/27/22 01:23 PM

I’d add a LP wall heater 30,000 BTU and a fan to circulate the air in there they make them with fans and a thermostat if you have it insulated properly.
Posted By: bass10

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/27/22 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Wright Brothers
WTG first man land.
Ya did good.

I'd have to agree, don't want to knock your efforts but I hate when someone says I ran that stove 50 times and all was fine until it wasn't. My buddy used to store four 4-wheelers at his
property and not lock them up inside and I heard "I had them down there for 2 1/2 years with no issues and bam all were stolen. My point is always be cautious because it only takes one
time when things aren't the way they should be. Great looking shed though.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/27/22 02:10 PM

One coon fart in there...and you could blow the roof off
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/27/22 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Longbeard12

Absolutely....Have fun
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/27/22 03:26 PM

Nice work but yes plz take heed. That little stove needs more between it and the wall. I run wood stove caught my place on fire claims all winter long.
Posted By: Ave

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/27/22 03:39 PM

Nice work, I like it. I built my first shed when I was 15. Looking back on it, I think it turned out well all things consideredl. Working in the shed is one of my favorite things to do, especially when I’m working on fur on a cold winter night, with the wood stove running. Trust me when I say your floor won’t look spotless for long lol!

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/27/22 04:25 PM

Who was it puts shavings on the floor is that ADC? To me that would save a ton of cleanup and also create a great place to loose tiny cap screws and thin cotter pins!
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/27/22 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
Who was it puts shavings on the floor is that ADC? To me that would save a ton of cleanup and also create a great place to loose tiny cap screws and thin cotter pins!

Not me. I use old used carpet, way better than shavings, lay a tarp down under it if it gets really bloody in your shed.

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/27/22 05:07 PM

That is a great idea and rolls of old carpet can be found on the curb every time I go to town.
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/27/22 05:25 PM

Old area rugs work great! Awesome lil shed young sir. Above advice on the stove I agree with but make it safe an work away! I've got a lil 10x12 fur shed an it gets tight with 50 pelts hanging but I'm not making any extra steps to grab tools wink. It'll work great. Good luck this season

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/27/22 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Turtledale
Looks like your set up. You got a skinning gambrel in the shed?

No gambrel yet, I haven't found one that I want to use.

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/27/22 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Longbeard12

I should have a lot of memories happening this year. This is the first year I'm going big.

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/27/22 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by trapdog1
That is the nicest looking floor I've ever seen in a fur shed!
Also nice that you learned some carpentry skills in the building process. That will come in handy when you build your next, much bigger one someday.

It was originally a small shed for me to hang out in but I have no interest in sleeping away from the house now so I had to do something with it. Also built a chicken coop this year so I've had my fair share of projects.

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/27/22 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Wright Brothers
WTG first man land.
Ya did good.

I know that it means nothing but the little amount of room in there to move it any further away and I only have 110v running out to it.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/27/22 09:16 PM

You can always add on to it so don’t sweat it now just have any place to work is a great start.

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/27/22 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Osky
Agreed as above. Great job on the shed but the heat system is touchy. Plenty of ventilation I hope.
Have you considered cutting styrofoam insulation pieces for between your studs and then a plug in milk house heater type source?
At that size it should be plenty of safe heat.
Processing furs no matter the valu is not worth dying over.

Osky

Ventilation is good, It's so small with that stove in it that If I did insulate it, it would be way too hot for anyone to stay in it for any length of time. I barely run the stove once it gets hot enough.

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/27/22 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ave
Nice work, I like it. I built my first shed when I was 15. Looking back on it, I think it turned out well all things consideredl. Working in the shed is one of my favorite things to do, especially when I’m working on fur on a cold winter night, with the wood stove running. Trust me when I say your floor won’t look spotless for long lol!

I know it won't but I'll try my hardest to make it look spotless.

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/28/22 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
You can always add on to it so don’t sweat it now just have any place to work is a great start.

If I enjoy fur handling, then an addition is definitely in the future. Hopefully, I can trap a few rats and put a few up this season, water is starting to drop quite a bit and it has me a little worried about next year's season.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/28/22 01:32 AM

Good for you. That’s a whole lot nicer than anything I started with you should be proud!
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/28/22 01:52 AM

When trapping starts to go good and you are putting up all that fur you are going to run yourself out of space. Stay organized. Put hooks in the ceiling to maximize every inch of space for your full stretchers. You got a good start. Good luck!!

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/28/22 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by Pawnee
Good for you. That’s a whole lot nicer than anything I started with you should be proud!

It's a nice shed just not very much room but I don't like company anyways so I'll be fine with just me and my music.

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/28/22 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by backroadsarcher
When trapping starts to go good and you are putting up all that fur you are going to run yourself out of space. Stay organized. Put hooks in the ceiling to maximize every inch of space for your full stretchers. You got a good start. Good luck!!

I only have 50 or so rat stretchers and a dozen mink boards so I'm not putting up anything too big. If it gets full, I'll just have to freeze them and bring them in on carcass. I still need to figure out a system for hanging stretchers but have been so busy with school this week.
Posted By: old243

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/28/22 02:17 AM

If you have a local dump, talk to the guys that work there. If you need an electric heater They will see all kinds of stuff . most times they will save you one. I got a small chest freezer , some paint and some books to read , the last time I went to our dump, no cost. I am a bit of a scrounger. Old243

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/28/22 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by old243
If you have a local dump, talk to the guys that work there. If you need an electric heater They will see all kinds of stuff . most times they will save you one. I got a small chest freezer , some paint and some books to read , the last time I went to our dump, no cost. I am a bit of a scrounger. Old243

We aren't allowed to take stuff out of our dump and most of the time, it's closed because there's no one who wants to work it.
Posted By: old243

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/28/22 03:03 AM

We are not always allowed to eiher, Just talk to them . Most of them are big time scroungers , Probably have something at home. It will make you a better scrounger.. Or visit a scrap yard. I have been a dump diver , all my life.. Learn to do things , on the cheap side, could call it recycling. I like your shed, have fun with your trapping season, wish I could still do it. old243
Posted By: Bison88

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/28/22 03:09 AM

Appreciate these days they go by fast. Be safe and Enjoy the season and be prepared for the ups and downs.
Posted By: danvee

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/28/22 03:24 AM

small propane heater is all you need for that and its instant heat. If you never processed furs you will produce lots of body heat 45 degrees is plenty.

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/28/22 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by old243
We are not always allowed to eiher, Just talk to them . Most of them are big time scroungers , Probably have something at home. It will make you a better scrounger.. Or visit a scrap yard. I have been a dump diver , all my life.. Learn to do things , on the cheap side, could call it recycling. I like your shed, have fun with your trapping season, wish I could still do it. old243

I like my shed too, I'll have a lot of fun but school is indirectly trying to jam a stick into my fun.

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/28/22 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bison88
Appreciate these days they go by fast. Be safe and Enjoy the season and be prepared for the ups and downs.

Yes, they do, I just realized it has been 2 weeks almost 3 weeks since we met and it doesn't even seem that long ago. You be safe too.

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/28/22 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by danvee
small propane heater is all you need for that and its instant heat. If you never processed furs you will produce lots of body heat 45 degrees is plenty.

That's what that little red heater is under the desk. I usually use that to get the shed heated up while the wood stove gets cooking. It stays nice in there pretty easily when it was empty let alone when it's stacked with stretchers of fur.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/28/22 05:41 AM

In case nobody mentions it, the stove is too close to the walls and is a fire hazard.

Otherwise looks good.

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/28/22 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Willy Firewood
In case nobody mentions it, the stove is too close to the walls and is a fire hazard.

Otherwise looks good.

Been mentioned at least 10 times, I know it's too close but I have no possible solutions except for a bigger building which isn't feasible.
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/28/22 06:09 AM

Yeah you do. Find a different, safer heat source and don't use the stove the way it is set up. You've been given good advice
Posted By: Trapset

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/28/22 11:55 AM

Well done!

I’ve spent a lot of nights in tents with a stove like that.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/28/22 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Rat_Pack
Yeah you do. Find a different, safer heat source and don't use the stove the way it is set up. You've been given good advice

Sound wisdom

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/28/22 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Trapset
Well done!

I’ve spent a lot of nights in tents with a stove like that.

I've spent quite a few nights in a tent with wood stoves too.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/29/22 03:53 AM

Good on you with your shed. You are way ahead of me. I have trapped now for 42 years and use my garage and or basement depending upon temp etc. Too frugal and lazy to build some separate space I guess.

Bryce
Posted By: AJE

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/29/22 03:57 AM

Your energy is impressive

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/29/22 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by bblwi
Good on you with your shed. You are way ahead of me. I have trapped now for 42 years and use my garage and or basement depending upon temp etc. Too frugal and lazy to build some separate space I guess.

Bryce

My parents said no to the garage idea and the basement idea, so I had to resort to my own measures.

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/29/22 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by AJE
Your energy is impressive

A lot of people have said this in the few months I've been here, I'm just a little ambitious. I like the work and figuring out these things.
Posted By: Wild_WI

Re: First Fur shed! - 09/29/22 07:08 AM

Well, better than no shed I think ya did a good job if ya get to hot open a door... get after em!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums