How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/28/22 10:03 AM

Cost in your area?

Also, is Holly suitable for firewood?
Posted By: Bigbuck

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/28/22 10:23 AM

Anywhere from $120 - $200 thats all oak or hickory
Posted By: Squash

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/28/22 10:26 AM

In northern NY hardwood firewood is usually sold by the face cord. 4’x8’x whatever length it’s cut, 16” etc.. Right now with high heating oil price, 16” facecord is going for anywhere from $65-$80. (Maple, beech, Birch, Cherry, Ash ) Don’t know about holly. Also, hardwood pulpwood for the paper making process is in high demand here, also driving up firewood price. That is purchased by the ton (5200-5400lbs per full cord, 4’x4’x8’ or 128 cubic feet)
Posted By: G Hose

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/28/22 10:26 AM

2-240 going by Craigslist prices around here
Posted By: Cooncreek II

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/28/22 10:27 AM

I got 9 cords at an auction a month ago for $150. Got lucky
Posted By: mike mason

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/28/22 10:49 AM

$300-$325/full cord. Tandem load of firewood logs $900-$1100.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/28/22 10:55 AM

If that pulp wood demand is taking white pine, I have a few ton fresh cut
in western pa.
A guy here just paid 1250 for a triaxle of spit hardwood. I thought that was high.

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/28/22 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Wright Brothers
If that pulp wood demand is taking white pine, I have a few ton fresh cut
in western pa.
A guy here just paid 1250 for a triaxle of spit hardwood. I thought that was high.

Re-read my post, “hardwood pulpwood “demand is strong.
Posted By: Longbeard12

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/28/22 10:59 AM

$850 triaxle load of hard wood logs.

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/28/22 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
Cost in your area?

If you need to cut it or available, use it. Would not waste time cutting, very low BTU's for the effort.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/28/22 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by mike mason
Cost in your area?

If you need to cut it or available, use it. Would not waste time cutting, very low BTU's for the effort.

That’s the situation, gotta thin them out and just don’t want to leave them laying around. Maybe I can make a fence out of them.
Posted By: 080808

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/28/22 12:04 PM

What Squash said. Guy on TV last night who owns a power equipment business said he expects $150 per face cord this winter. Hard to believe but I sold recently $60 picked up. Already sold out.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/28/22 12:19 PM

$250-300
Posted By: steeltraps

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/28/22 12:28 PM

Wow. All over Alabama. On side of road. 75 dollars
Posted By: nh toe pincher

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/28/22 12:29 PM

i dont know anything about holly, but semi seasoned hardwood is about 350 a cord cut split & delivered around here.

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/28/22 12:33 PM

I probably should have jumped on this 6 months ago.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/28/22 12:35 PM

Firewood oak cord: 16" $75 -$100
Log Cord Oak: $80-$100 4'x4'x8', just do the work better deal.
Now log cord maybe up since I talked to a couple guys due to higher demand for pulp and firewood. But do the work save the money.

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/28/22 01:04 PM

Hardwood /softwood, seasoned /green, picked up/delivered, split/unsplit?
Lots of options. lol
Posted By: scheide

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/28/22 01:12 PM

In our area, you have to fight tooth and nail to get $100 a cord.
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/28/22 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by 080808
What Squash said. Guy on TV last night who owns a power equipment business said he expects $150 per face cord this winter. Hard to believe but I sold recently $60 picked up. Already sold out.

That rat is gouging his neighbors. Highest I've seen is $80 delivered for seasoned oak
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/28/22 01:50 PM

275 a cord

no one heating with wood as their primary buys face cords , face cords are for recreational fire here and there.

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/28/22 02:35 PM

Wrong! Only way sold in Northern New York. No not NYC but Adirondacks and Canadian border. Face cord

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/28/22 03:26 PM

Might be a regional thing. Face cord measurement used to be illegal in some places.
Like my house, it's either a cord or a truck load, or both.
Any way you split it, it's work.

Squash I caught it first time and tried to pm you, that don't work.
Just my luck. Like when, if I'm buying it's all red oak, if selling, it's all black oak.
Wonder how plywood price is lately?

Wood industry needs an overhaul.

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/28/22 03:55 PM

I’ve worked in the Forest industry in NY for over 50 years, and know of no one selling cut and split firewood in central and northern NY who sells it buy the full cord,(128 cubic feet ) . And I have sold 100’s of loads of firewood logs to many firewood dealers who have firewood processors. everyone here sells it by the face cord, 4’x8’ and price varies depending on how long it’s cut, 16”,18”,20” etc.. Not sure why it’s so confusing, 3 , 16” facecord in a standard cord.

Even pulpwood today sent to Finch Paper in Glens Falls or International Paper in Ticonderoga no longer purchase buy the full standard cord. They buy per ton. Most semis hauling to these mills are netting around 40 ton per load, gross weight truck trailer and load 60 ton. Same with whole tree chips.

Wright Brothers, as far as the wood industry needing an overhaul, I agree. But the industry in the Northeast will collapse before that happens.
Posted By: Dana I

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/28/22 03:57 PM

Wrong! Only way sold in Northern New York. No not NYC but Adirondacks and Canadian border. Face cord

Yep same here in Western NY. Most people in this area don't even know what a cord is. Even guys selling it often don't know. If someone called and ordered a cord and you actually showed up with a cord. It would be 3 times what they wanted.
Posted By: white17

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/28/22 04:32 PM

A cord here starts at about 375 and goes to about 450 depending on whether it is logs, or bucked to length, green birch or spruce. No one sells split wood here.

Also, if you asked for a face cord, people would look at you like you're crazy. No such thing in this part of the world.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/28/22 04:43 PM

Heard on the radio this morning a guy selling split, 2 yr old oak for $280 a cord.

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/28/22 04:58 PM

That explains the internet talk of getting a cord on a pick up.
Years ago when White17 mentioned the species they burn, I thought, yuck.
Then realized 1- The trees grow a lot slower there and wood is denser than faster growing, and 2- that may be all they have.

No ome compares how many face cord they burnt over here. Regional thing.
There was an interesting piece on history channel on this.

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/28/22 05:28 PM

so they call up and order 9 or 15 face cords for delivery

seems weird

most anyone who heats with wood here cuts , people who buy a face are recreating or staying the weekend at the cabin and not heating every day
Posted By: whartonrattrappe

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/28/22 05:45 PM

I'll second what squash says, mostly sold by the face cord or truck load. It's $70 a face cord here right now from the dealers or $700-800 for log length ten wheeler that hold 20 to 22 face cord.

An Amish community move in around me 6 or 7 years ago, they have a bunch of sawmills, some that saw 4 to 5 tractor trailer loads of railroad ties a day. They're selling ten wheeler's of 16 to18" slab wood, mostly ash, for $200 a truckload delivered.

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/28/22 05:48 PM

If someone needs that much wood they cut their own.. lol

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/28/22 06:22 PM

The reason split wood is sold by the face cord, is because people use different length firewood. 16” is probably the standard to fit in many wood stoves, plus as stated earlier 3 , 16” face cords is a standard cord. Where some outside wood boilers can take wood up to 32” + lengths.
So it would be very confusing for a customer to call a firewood dealer and ask for 20 full cord of 32” firewood. One would have to calculate in cubic feet then, to know if you received a fair amount.

Most everyone heats with wood here in one way or another, and they purchase by face cords, and they are not recreating.

As far as burning spruce for firewood, if that’s all you have OK. Here softwood is used for kindling wood. But it is poor firewood compared to most hardwood. It is about density, lb for lb all wood produces the same btu’s. A cord of spruce weighs about half what a cord of Hard Maple does. So you have to burn twice as much spruce to achieve the same btu’s in a cord of maple.
Posted By: whartonrattrappe

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/28/22 06:32 PM

If someone needs that much wood they cut their own.. lol

I use 40 face cord a year...I only cut half of it laugh

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/28/22 06:35 PM

With all this said, if anyone wants white pine firewood come and get it.
I'm a,, over stocked and apparently the industry cannot use it for their
overpriced plywood.
You can measure it any way you like lol.

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/28/22 08:29 PM

I had never heard of a face cord until I read this thread. Here it is generally sold by the cord, those guys selling it by the truckload are usually shysters who claim it is "close to a cord" while they never load it that full. I can load a cord or a cord and a half on my one ton Dodge. To get a cord and a half I have to cut it very straight to get that last row in. 16" wood and my 8' bed actually measures about 8' 1 1/2". I built my wood racks intentionally where stacked to the top of the rack, each row is 1/4" cord so six rows makes 1 1/2 cord. Cutting for myself I usually load about 1 1/4" cord on it, easier and if I'm not selling I don't need an exact dimension. Also 1 1/2 cord squats that one ton pretty dang hard if it is good tamarack.

Used to cut and sell firewood when I wanted some extra money, haven't done it for a few years, right now at the price of wood you could do pretty good day wages.
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/28/22 09:24 PM

So general consensus 3 cord of firewood per an eight foot log cord? Give or take, we always figured 2.5 per log cord.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/28/22 09:31 PM

as for the question a cord of wood here is 100, or more
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/28/22 10:07 PM

I just paid 230 a full cord cut split delivered into my Garage
I never have time to get ahead and have seasoned wood so I buy a cord to mix in with the three cord that I cut and isn’t always all the way dry

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/28/22 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by bearcat2
I had never heard of a face cord until I read this thread. .

X2

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/28/22 11:56 PM

I had never heard of a face cord until I read this thread. .

X2

Like the old saying, it’s good to learn something every day.

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/29/22 12:00 AM

Why would we need to know that?
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/29/22 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

seems weird

most anyone who heats with wood here cuts , people who buy a face are recreating or staying the weekend at the cabin and not heating every day

Firewood is sold to the end user here by facecord a lot. Also sold by full log cord to those that buck their own wood. Low income folks get voucher from the state for 10 face cord loads. Part of their welfare benefits I guess. In january/February I sell red pine end cuts for $30 a pickup load, Folks trying to keep warm. seasoned oak is $60 to $80 a face cord here.

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/29/22 12:06 AM

You never know when you might want to buy a facecord of wood. LOL

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/29/22 12:08 AM

I had never heard of a face cord until I read this thread. Here it is generally sold by the cord, those guys selling it by the truckload are usually shysters who claim it is "close to a cord" while they never load it that full.

a cord may be the only legal measure of wood in ID or was at one point , technically it is the only legal size for wood in most states where heating with wood was normal. not that those types of laws are enforced any more.

but anyone not selling by the cord was a known as a shyster by the old timers.
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/29/22 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

seems weird

If you buy cut and split firewood in Michigan, your buying it by the "facecord", that measures 4'x8'xlength of firewood chunks. If your getting 100 inch log pulp cords, your buying a full, true,cord of wood that is 4x4x8. Facecords, delivered, run between $60 and $80 per facecord. Pulp length stuff is around $90 to $100 per. I heat with wood. Until my health pooped out and all my "check engine" lights started flashing, I cut my own. I now have to buy most of it and it P's me off! I have a bunch of wood on my place, just can not physically go cut it like before.

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/29/22 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Feedinggrounds

Firewood is sold to the end user here by facecord a lot. Also sold by full log cord to those that buck their own wood. Low income folks get voucher from the state for 10 face cord loads. Part of their welfare benefits I guess. In january/February I sell red pine end cuts for $30 a pickup load, Folks trying to keep warm. seasoned oak is $60 to $80 a face cord here. [/quote]

I know it is sold by the face a lot

and this must be one of those state by state differences

In WI I don't think there is any welfare benefit to buy wood

the Vast majority of people buying a face cord in WI have a cabin that they weekend at the fire wood is mostly recreational.

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/29/22 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Squash

You never know when you might want to buy a facecord of wood. LOL

lol, no, when I ask for a cord of wood, I expect a cord of wood, not a pickup load, face thingy or an almost, a CORD.

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/29/22 12:15 AM

People who get HEAP benefits in NY can buy "seasoned" firewood for home heating.

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/29/22 12:50 AM

J. Morse. Maybe you can let someone cut for “shrares”.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/29/22 03:23 AM

In Ohio the legal measure is a cord or fraction thereof.
The best deal around here is an honest 2 cords of split hardwood firewood delivered and dumped for $500.
Posted By: AJE

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/29/22 03:47 AM

Face chords are popular around here. The price seems to vary depending on the time of year & type of wood.
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/29/22 06:19 PM

A cord of wood...many things to many people.

In Minnesota a legal cord of wood can range from 110 ft3 to 175 ft3. It depends on
  • length
  • tossed
  • ranked
  • cut
  • split
  • stacked
In other words how much air is included that volume.

And let's not forget all the other factors that go into that cord of firewood.
  • species
  • moisture content
  • split/bucked size
  • location/delivery
  • stacking at final destination.

Where I'm at, it is often sold by the face cord (1/3 cord) or pick-up load (~1/2 cord). But converted to cords the price ranges from $100 Picked up to over $600 delivered and stacked.

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/29/22 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by T-Rex
A cord of wood...many things to many people.

In Minnesota a legal cord of wood can range from 110 ft3 to 175 ft3. It depends on
  • length
  • tossed
  • ranked
  • cut
  • split
  • stacked
In other words how much air is included that volume.

And let's not forget all the other factors that go into that cord of firewood.
  • species
  • moisture content
  • split/bucked size
  • location/delivery
  • stacking at final destination.

Where I'm at, it is often sold by the face cord (1/3 cord) or pick-up load (~1/2 cord). But converted to cords the price ranges from $100 Picked up to over $600 delivered and stacked.

Air? “Loose enough that a squirrel can get through it but tight enough that a cat can’t follow it.”
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/30/22 02:18 PM

Air? “Loose enough that a squirrel can get through it but tight enough that a cat can’t follow it.”
Yip, the space you are describing is filled with air. which, if you are confused, does not burn well.

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/30/22 02:25 PM

Some here need a math lesson, a standard cord is 4’x 4’ x8’ =128 cubic feet. I sold thousands of standard cords of spruce/fir pulpwood to Champion Internationals paper mill in Deferit , NY. It was either 4’ or 8’ lengths and stick scaled in the mill yard.

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/30/22 02:53 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong but wouldn’t 3 16” lengths be 48”. That stacked 4 feet high for 8 feet would be a cord of wood, yes?

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/30/22 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by T-Rex
Yip, the space you are describing is filled with air. which, if you are confused, does not burn well.

Wow, I didn’t realize that. You’re a legend in your own mind.
Posted By: waggler

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/30/22 03:06 PM

Downtown Seattle over $500 a cord ($174 for quarter cord).
Surrounding area $275-300 a cord.

I hadn't checked on firewood prices in year; I think I might start cutting firewood.

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 09/30/22 03:42 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong but wouldn’t 3 16” lengths be 48”. That stacked 4 feet high for 8 feet would be a cord of wood, yes?

Bingo, we have a winner.
Posted By: il.trapper

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 10/01/22 02:39 AM

350 a true cord here. That is from the very few folks that sell well seasoned and well dried hardwoods. Others I see sell what they call a cord for as little as 75-150. Most of those are green and wet.

Some here are starting to sell per stick, .60 cents is about the norm.

The best deal for firewood sellers here right now is the small bundles at the stores and gas stations. The ones that aren't scared of a little work can make real good money selling that way.
Posted By: ohiosnareman

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 10/01/22 02:50 PM

I live in North East Ohio . I know the people at three different tree services . They give away all logs over about 30 inches in diameter . They even deliver it to you free . All are having trouble finding places to dump the wood . Just had three large truck loads of oak logs brought in this week . The guy thanked me for letting him bring them to me . A pain to process , and will not be ready till next year ,but it's free and keeps on coming . Got lucky on this last load . One of the oaks was a standing dead tree . Lots of dry wood for this Winter from it . My Nephew and his Grandson cut and split the big stuff for me . I just have to pull the 80 years old and worn down routine . LOL . They know I do what I am able too . Have never bought fire wood in over 40 years of heating with wood .
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 10/01/22 03:17 PM

So the price is just a "little" elbow grease? Perfect.

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 10/01/22 03:34 PM

Ohiosnareman if your guys ever get work over in Western Pa I've got room for wood.
Know what you mean about big trees being work. They warm you up several times.

Been busting it, maybe ten cord ready, good feeling.
I might go grab some coal.

Re: How Much does a Cord of Wood - 10/01/22 04:02 PM

If you're cutting it, big wood is a lot less work than small wood. I hate cutting the little 6-8" rounds. In fact I pretty much won't cut anything under 18" on the butt, but do end up cutting it up to the top where you have the small rounds.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums