Home

Shot a .270 for the first time

Posted By: Wolfdog91

Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/29/22 06:09 PM

Yeahhhhh think I prefer my 30-06 honestly laugh Anyway this is the .270 Vanguard I'm taking care of for my gf . Shot if for the first time since the 90's apparently. Rounds where loaded in 91' and they are .... Stout lol. Made the mistake of trying to shoot it with free recoil on the first shot aaannnnd yeah no lol. Definitely not the gun to do that with too light not to mention the why the stock is made haut plain makes free recoil a bad idea .
First shot was bout a foot high crazy laugh just some pictures from the slow motion video where you can see the thing jumping out of my hand int he first shot lol

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Her dad is probably looking down at me laught his butt off right now lol grin according to his other daughter he'd like to talk about how he had a few "hot" recipes he wanted me to try when he saw my reloading posts on FB.but anyway I locked in on it from then on, firmer grip more shoulder,no jumping but Christ this thing kicks a bit. I mean yeah if I was just shooting 3rounds to zero then one at a deer no big deal but I really really enjoy shooting and 50rd of this in an after noon just ..not something I think I'm gonna enjoy lol. Now if I'm reading his load book ( this is his load book for the loads he worked up no a manual) right seems I'm not too far off where he was shooting. He was far from a " goodnuff" shooter but he was a Jack o Conner fan and pretty practical. Don't see anything wrong with this load for the whole 150yd tops he would probably b shooting.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Definitely gotta get some light loads works up though ,10rd in and I'm a bit on the sore side .
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/29/22 06:45 PM

you get to use to those powder puff loads in cast and the first time you shoot a real hunting load it wakes you right up
Posted By: Zim

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/29/22 07:11 PM

Try a couple 3.5" 12 gauge turkey loads from that prone position wolfie.
Follow me for more appreciation of the light recoiling .270.

lol Zim
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/29/22 07:14 PM

I never thought a 270 had much recoil. I load mine to a max charge. Definitely not any more than an 06. Vangaurds are pretty much accurate. That group is maybe you or the ammo
Posted By: white17

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/29/22 07:15 PM

If I am reading those loading notes correctly, the man loaded 60 grains of H 4831 with a 140 grn bullet.

According to Hodgdon......that is 2 grains OVER maximum.

Think I'd drop down to 54 grns and start over

EDIT: Hodgdon also shows that the max load of 58 grns is a compressed load. I can't imagine what those 60 grain loads are doing in terms of pressure but I wouldn't fire them.
Posted By: charles

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/29/22 09:14 PM

My Rem 700 in 270 is possibly my most accurate bolt rifle. Aftermarket stock and two stage Timney. Likes Sierra 140 grain bullets with 4831 powder.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/29/22 09:40 PM

270 is not a kicker in any reasonable weight rifle.
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/29/22 09:59 PM

You need to properly anchor the rifle for consistent accuracy. Your pics don't indicate a 3 pt anchor ; cheek, right hand on the grip, left hand on the fore end stock of the rifle.
Try this next time.
I've been shooting and loading 270 for 45 years. As has been said, you shouldn't feel anymore recoil than with your 06'. After all, a 270 is a 30-06 necked down from a .308 bullet to a .277 bullet, same case.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/29/22 10:18 PM

If it beats ya up to much, I am willing to give it a good home in East Tennessee. Just trying to help
Posted By: Ridge Runner1960

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/29/22 10:18 PM

270 case is .041 longer than the 30-06, saami max pressure is 65K for the 270 vs. 60K for the '06, recoil should be the same or there about. If you do not chronograph the loads you do not know what pressure you are shooting. if you do not have .001 casehead expansion you are not over pressure. the 270 is not a hard recoiling rifle, it does however have a faster recoil than some other rifles due to the 65K psi max pressure. the book just gives you an idea, all chambers, barrels shoot different because no 2 barrels are exactly the same. if your not seeing heavy bolt lift, sticky extraction, excessive casehead expansion you are OK.

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/29/22 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by white17
If I am reading those loading notes correctly, the man loaded 60 grains of H 4831 with a 140 grn bullet.

EDIT: Hodgdon also shows that the max load of 58 grns is a compressed load. I can't imagine what those 60 grain loads are doing in terms of pressure but I wouldn't fire them.

Yeaahhh figured something was up, thing definitely reminds me of some over the book loads I've made up. Well there's a few boxes of factory I might try tomorrow see if these much of a difference. According to he's book these where pushing a bit over 3000fps. Don't know mucha bout the .270 but that seems a bit much. And yes these are compressed . You can try and skate em but 0 powder movement eek .....mabye this was just his last joke on me or something laugh
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/29/22 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by white17

I never shoot someone elses reloads.Just sayin.
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/29/22 10:54 PM

This was the 3rd and final load I worked up. 55.0 grains IMR4350 under a 130 gr Hornady Interlock......flat base. Actually no load workup at all. First try using that powder, so I quit.

3160 fps........and lightest recoil of the bunch.......remarkably how much difference there was. When the magic happens, it happens.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/29/22 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by TraderVic
You need to properly anchor the rifle for consistent accuracy. Your pics don't indicate a 3 pt anchor ; cheek, right hand on the grip, left hand on the fore end stock of the rifle.
Try this next time.
I've been shooting and loading 270 for 45 years. As has been said, you shouldn't feel anymore recoil than with your 06'. After all, a 270 is a 30-06 necked down from a .308 bullet to a .277 bullet, same case.

That's right about the 308 , necking it down.
While I was in Quebec , I was amazed at the 308 casings laying around at the sand/gravel pits used for target practice.
308 seemed to be very popular there.
I would pick them up and brought them home to reload for my 270.

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/29/22 11:41 PM

Jack O'Connor liked the 270 in the 60's talked them up a lot as a flat shooting round.
I got my Ruger M77 bolt action in 71.
Love that rifle .
It's loud , but never seemed to kick like other rifles I shot , like the 30 06 or 30 30.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/29/22 11:49 PM

Looks good Hayday
Posted By: Longbeard12

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/29/22 11:49 PM

Wolfdog, I don't own a vanguard but two Rem 700 270. They both shoot about 1/2"-3/4" groups at 100yards. We shoot Winchester supreme out of them. 130grain ballistic tips. That gun should shoot better than what your showing. Try some good factory loads. Hornady makes some good loads also unless you have to reload. One last thing, IMO 130 have always shot better than 150. Good luck. Love the slow mo!! Haha
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/30/22 12:05 AM

Yep wolf dog that should have less recoil than your 06. It's a lighter bullet after all
. Did he use a Lee factory crimp die? I did when I first started loading and had my 270 stomp my shoulder. Old guy at the range pulled one of my bullets and it was shaped like an hour glass. I crimped it to much with the Lee die. It sure spiked the pressure. Found out I did not need that crimp die. Got 3/8" groups out of that rifle after that.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/30/22 12:18 AM

I have a Winchester 770 in a .270. It kicks like a mule.
Posted By: JTfromWV

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/30/22 12:39 AM

Careful shooting that .270. It will make you predict the future and a financial guru. whistle

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/30/22 12:41 AM

I load the Hornady 130 gr Interlock bullet ; 54.5 gr H4831SC, WLR primer, Remington brass. The manual suggests about 2900 fps velocity, but have never chronographs it. Very accurate load, DRT..

60 gr of H4831 is pretty warm, definitely will set you back a bit. Some folks like to hotrod their loads. I don't.

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/30/22 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Yep wolf dog that should have less recoil than your 06. It's a lighter bullet after all
. Did he use a Lee factory crimp die? I did when I first started loading and had my 270 stomp my shoulder. Old guy at the range pulled one of my bullets and it was shaped like an hour glass. I crimped it to much with the Lee die. It sure spiked the pressure. Found out I did not need that crimp die. Got 3/8" groups out of that rifle after that.

I liked my Rock Chucker , it's been years , but as I remember I would neck , and size , prime, powder, and seat the bullet , don't ever remember crimping , unless it was during the seating.
I also seem to remember 110 grain Sierra Bullets , boat tail. I got into loading so that the 110,130,150 were all hitting the target almost the same, by ajusting the powder loads.
That way , I knew which ever load I used was on target.
I never got it perfected , but had fun and got very close.
Used the110 loads for woodchucks .
Things happened , and never got back to it , and kids, other things came up.
Still have the Rock Chucker and dies.
Think it was RCS or something , haven't looked at it in 20 years.

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/30/22 01:48 AM

.[/quote]
Think it was RCS or something , haven't looked at it in 20 years.[/quote]

RCBS
Posted By: NEYotetrapper

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/30/22 02:37 AM

.270 has been my go-to caliber for big game if I can't shoot it with a bow. I agree a few shots isnt too bad, but not a gun I would want to shoot for fun at the range without a lead sled.
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/30/22 02:41 AM

Are you seeing over pressure signs on the cases after firing? Will admit that I like playing with that ragged line.

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/30/22 02:43 AM

Found this note I wrote myself in my old Nosler manual. 60 might not be to much in that rifle . If you dont see any over pressure sign on fired cases . Still think that rifle should shoot better. Maybe though its had 5000 rounds through it [Linked Image]
too.
The ST is an abbreviation for shooting times magazines and the date on the cover was feb 93. I had a subscription back then
Posted By: MattLA

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/30/22 02:52 AM

My main caliber is 6.8 SPC II for everything. It uses .277 bullets, so amazing, but .270 is a good round.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/30/22 02:57 AM

Weatherby rifles I've seen have a longer throat (freebore) than other rifles which lowers the spike in pressure.

The ones I have, if I try to seat the bullet out just off the lands, it's way to long for the magazine.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/30/22 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
If it beats ya up to much, I am willing to give it a good home in East Tennessee. Just trying to help

grin
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/30/22 04:01 AM

I grew up shooting a Remington 760 pump in 270 of my dads, kind of a heavy rifle and very little recoil. When I was 12 I got my first deer rifle of my own, a new Savage 110 in 270. It kicked like a mule, the older Savages were known for kicking harder than other brands of rifles, I think due to stock design. I've never shot another 270 that kicked anything like that Savage, but then I've never shot a Vanguard. I've shot multiple 300 magnums (without muzzlebrakes) that had less felt recoil than that rifle. 270 is a nice round and in a good rifle recoil shouldn't be bad at all (less than the same rifle in 30-06 due to lighter bullets) unless you are pushing that ragged edge of pressure. I own one in a 760 just like the one of my dads I grew up using. Love those rifles, I've killed a lot of stuff with one, and mine and my dads would both shoot under MOA with my handloads, not bad for a factory pump that is older than I am.

I learned long ago to not shoot a hard recoiling rifle from prone, the butt rests on your bone and the recoil hurts and bruises a lot more, if you are going to do much shooting of a hard recoiling rifle do it from a bench, sitting upright, or if you are practicing rather than testing loads, offhand is even better for alleviating recoil and replicating hunting conditions.

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/30/22 04:09 AM

Think it was RCS or something , haven't looked at it in 20 years.[/quote]

RCBS[/quote]

Yep I remember now.
Thank you.
It's a good set up , if you have the time for one at a time, and you can be more accurate with your loads that way.
Posted By: Strut10

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/30/22 11:21 AM

Yeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh....................

This isn't the experience you SHOULD have had from a rifle chambered in .270 Win

The .270 Win is not a hard recoiling round by ANY stretch. And the Vanguards are very well suited for most folks as far as fit goes........and not generally known as "kickers". (My sister is 53 years old.......a size 2.......and shoots a Vanguard Synthetic in .300 Win Mag)

So, it's POSSIBLE that the gun doesn't fit you. But not probable. I'm thinking that you may not have been shooting with good form. AND, you're shooting from the prone position, which is the worst position for recoil absorption even when you DO use good form.

Try picking that gun up off the ground and taking it to a bench rest. See how it treats you there. A 140 grain bullet at 3000 fps is not a monster load at ALL.

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/30/22 12:59 PM

he was shooting it like a target 22 also he was mostly un prepared for the recoil I think

I have been there spend all summer shooting stuff with no or almost no recoil at paper than take up your air rifle shooting form out of muscle memory and hit yourself in the face with a 12ga slug load in a 6 pound gun that wasn't tight into your shoulder and loosely held in your hands.

memory on how to shoot recoil kicks in , but some times the brain wasn't thinking recoil after thousands of rounds of not.

those loads may well be a bit too hot also but not near abusive as a 4 pound rossi break action 12ga with a ounce and a half of 3 inch turkey load that just hurts]
Posted By: Rusty Axe Camp

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/30/22 03:24 PM

Try shooting off a bench instead of prone.

270 shouldn't beat you up.
Posted By: Michigander

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/30/22 03:57 PM

I shoot 270 WSM and it isn't bad at all. Normal 270 should be pretty mild.
Posted By: Actor

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/30/22 04:26 PM

The biggest bore rifle I have ever shot (Once and that was more than enough), was a Weatherby .460 Mag. A friend of mine was going to Africa, so he bought this rifle for big game. I shot during the summer and all I was wearing on the top half of my body was a tee shirt. I don't think I would have hurt any more getting hit by a semi-truck. My friend shot I don't know how many rounds through it but his whole arm and shoulder was black and blue. The bad thing about it, was he dropped dead of a heart attack 2 weeks before he was to leave for his trip.

The largest handgun ever shot was .500 S & W and a .500 Desert Eagle. The S & W kicked twice as much as the Eagle.

Now I stay away from shooting those heavy guns... and stick with .40 and .45 pistols.

Garry-
Posted By: John C

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/30/22 07:33 PM

270 win or 270WSM?
Posted By: 30/06

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/30/22 07:50 PM

I've got a Remington .22 single shot, doesn't kick at all, if ya' wanna swap!
Posted By: warrior

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/30/22 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by John C
270 win or 270WSM?

There's also a Weatherby 270 magnum. A fellow that hunted with us had one of those vanguards in the 270 magnum. We called it the superduper doe killer.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/30/22 09:23 PM

Good choice, [Linked Image]
Ms.V shoot's her dad's Remington 270
Posted By: JoMiBru

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/30/22 09:24 PM

Hayday what gun ? Nice group, I love the versatility of 4350. My 308 and 300 wsm both like it.

Wolfie stick with it you’ll find what she likes. Start low work your way up, I’m not a speed guy, I like soft accuracy. Speed kicks

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/30/22 09:42 PM

So little up date . Got off work and decided to try and fit the rifle to mea little better. Replaced the some with a little redfield 3-9 he had . Net little reticle, like it a lot more. Leveled it and set it so it was better for me and I wasn't killing my neck. Added a cheek riser , definitely made shooting nicer and tired three boxes of factory ammo he had.
SO MUCH NICER. Seriously wondering if he just loaded to hand loads and put them in the box strictly for me shocked
Anyway still learning the rifle but seems it like 140 boat tails. Another 50 or so Rd and I might be able to steer this thing where I can actually get some good groups out of it. 100rd seems to be about my minimum till I get decent with a rifle

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/30/22 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by JoMiBru
Hayday what gun ? Nice group, I love the versatility of 4350. My 308 and 300 wsm both like it.

Wolfie stick with it you’ll find what she likes. Start low work your way up, I’m not a speed guy, I like soft accuracy. Speed kicks

Rem 700 BDL. It was a like new gun sitting on a used rack at Walls General store. Told my dad I was going to go back for it and he went the next day and bought it for himself. That was 50 years ago. Been an accurate gun with just about everything you run thru it.

My alternative powder was 58.0 grains H4831sc, also under a 130 grain Interlock. About as accurate, but lost 100 fps in velocity.
Posted By: JoMiBru

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/30/22 11:25 PM

Hard to beat those old 700 BDLs. Never tried 4831sc , might be good for short magnums.

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/30/22 11:46 PM

I hate to be the good enough guy but , any of those loads is good enough to go make some dead piggy

here piggy piggy

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 09/30/22 11:48 PM

do you think he ever cleaned the copper out of the barrel?

did you ?

if you get to 100 I would

I probably would now then see how it shoots after for 30-40 rounds

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 10/01/22 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by JoMiBru
Hard to beat those old 700 BDLs. Never tried 4831sc , might be good for short magnums.

I like it in 270 and 30/06. I have never had a short mag to try it in. I tend to shoot 4350 and vargrt in 308 based rounds.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 10/01/22 02:14 AM

Get one of those cheap Savage rifles in .270 if you want to find one that kicks like a mule. Don’t know which it was but the cheap ones that came with a cheap scope that won’t hold a zero. Told the guy that asked me to sight it in to buy a 3# scope to put on that thing to give it a little weight to knock the kick down. He didn’t and gave it as was to his wife for Christmas. She shot it once and got scope bit and won’t shoot it again. He brought it to me and asked me to check the zero cause she dropped it, lol. I told him I’d watch him shoot it and and tell him where it hit. He shot once and got scope bit and practically gave that gun away.
On the other side of the spectrum a buddy has a Browning Hells Canyon or something like that in .270 and that thing shoots like a dream. I mean actually a pleasure to shoot. Real smooth and hardly even feel a kick. Guess it’s all in the maker.

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 10/01/22 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Get one of those cheap Savage rifles in .270 if you want to find one that kicks like a mule. Don’t know which it was but the cheap ones that came with a cheap scope that won’t hold a zero. Told the guy that asked me to sight it in to buy a 3# scope to put on that thing to give it a little weight to knock the kick down. He didn’t and gave it as was to his wife for Christmas. She shot it once and got scope bit and won’t shoot it again. He brought it to me and asked me to check the zero cause she dropped it, lol. I told him I’d watch him shoot it and and tell him where it hit. He shot once and got scope bit and practically gave that gun away.
On the other side of the spectrum a buddy has a Browning Hells Canyon or something like that in .270 and that thing shoots like a dream. I mean actually a pleasure to shoot. Real smooth and hardly even feel a kick. Guess it’s all in the maker.

had a kid at sight in with one of those package guns it happened to be a Remington the scope was so bad on it that maybe 1 1/2 inches of eye relief so it has you perfectly lined up for a bloody eye I noticed how close he was just as he touched off the round and got scope bit.
just junk scopes it was only a 243 and got scope bit.

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 10/01/22 11:19 AM

I shoot 55 grains of IMR4350 and 130 grain Sierra boat tails. That load is an oldie but a goodie. Killed a LOT of stuff over the years with it.

Max load ease up to it and dont start there
Posted By: hippie

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 10/01/22 11:49 AM

Get it on a bench on sand bags and see if the group tightens up.

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 10/01/22 01:32 PM

I've reloaded for several (3-4+) 270's over the years. Interestingly, about half prefered 4350 and half 4831 for accuracy loads. I've loaded Nosler, Speer and Hornady bullets and prefer the Hornady 130 gr Interlock for whitetails. My son likes the 140 BT Hornady Interlock, but they're hard to find these days.
Posted By: Flicker Shad

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 10/01/22 04:33 PM

Jack O' conner loved the .270.

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 10/01/22 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Flicker Shad
Jack O' conner loved the .270.

He liked it but said the 30-06 was a superior caliber
Posted By: Ridge Runner1960

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 10/01/22 05:18 PM

chet atchinson said the 270 was a little bit more than adequate coyote rifle, chet was an elk guide

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 10/01/22 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner1960
chet atchinson said the 270 was a little bit more than adequate coyote rifle, chet was an elk guide

Remember Elmer Keith saying the same thing. Then again he was shooting running animals in the butt Soo...
Posted By: Jerry Jr.

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 10/01/22 11:04 PM

For those that think a 270 kicks, you should try shooting a rifle that isn't a glorified varmint gun. Personally, I like the 338 cals. Less meat damage and more 'dead right there' kills. With that said, I do think it comes down to fit and confidence. When it comes down to it, I will take my 338 wm out. I know that if I see something that I want to shoot, it will be dead.

I have tracked more deer for people that have had good hits with sub bores than I have with those that shoot medium to large bore rifles. I don't count gut shots. I have found that shooting smaller cals, you should shoot heavy for cal bullets. They put two holes in the critters.

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 10/01/22 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jerry Jr.
For those that think a 270 kicks, you should try shooting a rifle that isn't a glorified varmint gun. Personally, I like the 338 cals. Less meat damage and more 'dead right there' kills. With that said, I do think it comes down to fit and confidence. When it comes down to it, I will take my 338 wm out. I know that if I see something that I want to shoot, it will be dead.

I have tracked more deer for people that have had good hits with sub bores than I have with those that shoot medium to large bore rifles. I don't count gut shots. I have found that shooting smaller cals, you should shoot heavy for cal bullets. They put two holes in the critters.

I have yet to have a problem with any rifle from 243 up. Now with our public land caliber restrictions we do use a 357 mag carbine and 300 blackout pistol , black powder, and archery gear. The majority of those get tracked. But only one made it 60 yards with w 243 or 7mm08. Most drop in a few feet. The 7mm08 leaves bigger holes but the results on deer are the same. I don't see a need for anything bigger.

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 10/01/22 11:31 PM

I have shot lots of coyotes with a 270. For a lot of years i had two hi powers. An old bolt action 30-30 and a 270. When you walk up to one it looks bad. But after you skin and wash you will see about 4 inch long tear to sew up, not a hole where it comes out.
Posted By: Flicker Shad

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 10/01/22 11:38 PM

There is no animal I would use an 06 for that I wouldn't use a .270 for. If I need more than a .270, I'd get a .300 win or bigger.
Posted By: 30/06

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 10/01/22 11:53 PM

Jerry Jr. made a point I strongly agree with, based on my personal experience with a pile of edible critters: fit. Felt recoil ("kick") from my Ruger M77s in.338 WM and 7mm RM was substantially milder than my Buddy's Savage in .300WM. Different stock size and shape, very close to same weights. Fit is hard to define, but you just know when a rifle fits. I can't afford a custom stock, but through buying/selling/trading, I've settled on only those that truly fit me. I also agree with his points "confidence" and "two holes".
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 10/02/22 12:01 AM

Bought my son a .270 when he first started hunting in a Ruger. Nice shooting gun. He says he will never get rid of it. He shoots factory ammo in it but that works just fine.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 10/02/22 12:47 AM

I've killed a lot of elk with a 270. That being said, as an elk guide I prefer my hunters to be using a larger caliber. With one caveat. As long as they are comfortable shooting the larger caliber. I would rather a hunter shoot a smaller caliber they are comfortable with than a larger caliber they are scared of. Shot placement is always key, after that things like bullet construction, downrange velocity and bullet size come into play. If asked what caliber they should buy for elk my first reply is always 300 win mag. There are a lot of good elk calibers, and a lot more that will do the job just fine if you stay within their limitations. But most men can shoot a properly fitted 300 mag without being punished by the recoil (unless it is an ultralight) it will perform great on an elk while not being too much overkill to also shoot a deer with, and chances are if something happens to your ammo there will be someone else in camp shooting the same caliber. I wouldn't recommend a 270 to someone looking for a strictly elk rifle, but if they are looking for or have a 270 deer rifle that they want to use occasionally for elk it will work just fine as a combination rifle.

Re: Shot a .270 for the first time - 10/02/22 02:32 AM

Yep. Got 300 win mag now too. burns a lot of powder but sure does hit stuff hard
© 2024 Trapperman Forums