Home

Who has been God Winked? (nudged)

Posted By: west river rogue

Who has been God Winked? (nudged) - 09/30/22 07:08 PM

wow,twice this week!!! unreal! No HOODWINKED comments pls...Keep it serious.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 09/30/22 07:32 PM

Have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 09/30/22 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by trapdog1
Have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Ditto.
Book, chapter and verse please.
Posted By: foxhunter52

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 09/30/22 08:52 PM

Turn in the man card. I think you've been watching too many Hallmark movies. smile
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 09/30/22 09:34 PM

?
Posted By: Dillrod

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 09/30/22 09:41 PM

Hard to say ??
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 09/30/22 10:13 PM

So if hoodwinked means to be deceived then God winked must mean deceit from The Almighty.
Then no I've never been God Winked
And I am keeping this serious because I've never heard this phrase before. Please elaborate.
Take care and God bless

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 09/30/22 10:18 PM

Maybe you guys should have pastor Mark elaborate.....if u havnt experienced it. Dale,i also hadnt heard it.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 09/30/22 11:00 PM

Acts 17:30
King James Bible
"And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:"

Keith

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 09/30/22 11:04 PM

not the same Keith. I think a pastor could explain it....although i never had heard of it until it started happening too much. I know another term but I believe a pastor could explain it better, Especially Mark.
wink
Posted By: amspoker

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 09/30/22 11:16 PM

Perhaps this is what you mean?

God wink (plural God winks) An event or personal experience, often identified as coincidence, so astonishing that it is seen as a sign of divine intervention, especially when perceived as the answer to a prayer.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 09/30/22 11:25 PM

I hope someone can back this up with CLEAR scripture. If it can't be or you can't I'd caution using the term .
Posted By: Wild_WI

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 09/30/22 11:30 PM

Hmmm
Posted By: Posco

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 09/30/22 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
I hope someone can back this up with CLEAR scripture. If it can't be or you can't I'd caution using the term .

Same here.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/01/22 12:05 AM

Your getting wierd WRR crazy
Posted By: Savell

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/01/22 12:13 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/01/22 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Savell
[Linked Image]

Dang Pentecostal's!
Posted By: cattails

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/01/22 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by amspoker

God wink (plural God winks) An event or personal experience, often identified as coincidence, so astonishing that it is seen as a sign of divine intervention, especially when perceived as the answer to a prayer.

I had no idea that's what it's called. but my answer would be yes
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/01/22 12:51 AM

Never had heard the word, but Google must be a godwink, Google is a miracle! But if its of the devil what would it be called? Maybe a slewfootwink, lol.
Posted By: rex123

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/01/22 12:53 AM

If you can't explain what it is how do you know it happened to you?
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/01/22 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by rex123
If you can't explain what it is how do you know it happened to you?

I was thinking same thing?

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/01/22 01:06 AM

"I Was There When It Happened, So I guess I ought To Know". That would make a good title and somebody ought to write a song.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/01/22 01:14 AM

Another Hmmmm...
Posted By: Chancey

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/01/22 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by amspoker

Agree; at least for my walk.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/01/22 01:44 AM

Every day I wake up and see the sunrise is a God Wink…he gave me one more day.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/01/22 03:07 AM

Strange thread.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/01/22 09:22 AM

I don't know what the term means. I've never heard it.
But the term wink is only used 4 times in Scripture and each is about deception from the unrighteous ones.

Psalm 35:19 "Do not let those who are wrongfully my enemies rejoice over me; nor let those who hate me without cause wink maliciously.

Proverbs 6:13 (the unrighteous) Who winks with his eyes, who signals with his feet, who points with his fingers;

Proverbs 10:10 He who winks the eye causes trouble, and a babbling fool will be ruined.

Proverbs 16:30 He who winks his eyes does so to devise perverse things; He who compresses his lips brings evil to pass.

The Spirit is promised to all who believe, and we are in Christ as a result, but I'd say there's no winking from God. Calling, yes. Compassion, yes. Grace, yes. Love, yes, Mercy, yes. Winking, no.
I'm not saying there's no heart being changed in all this WRR....
But I'm saying that Scripture doesn't say anywhere it's God winking.

Where did you hear this phrase Steve? Was it from a pastor?

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/01/22 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mark June
But the term wink is only used 4 times in Scripture and each is about deception from the unrighteous ones.

Psalm 35:19 "Do not let those who are wrongfully my enemies rejoice over me; nor let those who hate me without cause wink maliciously.

Proverbs 6:13 (the unrighteous) Who winks with his eyes, who signals with his feet, who points with his fingers;

Proverbs 10:10 He who winks the eye causes trouble, and a babbling fool will be ruined.

Proverbs 16:30 He who winks his eyes does so to devise perverse things; He who compresses his lips brings evil to pass.

The Spirit is promised to all who believe, and we are in Christ as a result, but I'd say there's no winking from God. Calling, yes. Compassion, yes. Grace, yes. Love, yes, Mercy, yes. Winking, no.

Blessings,
Mark

Haha Mark I knew you would be checking in on the flock!!!
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/01/22 10:38 AM

Blessings,
Mark

Didn’t Jesus practice deception on the road to Emmaus?

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/01/22 10:40 AM

It was also a new term to me as of yesterday,,,,in talking to a church leader yesterday he said some call them God nudges...so amspoker was on track. Theres alot of info out there if u research it and mark may know scripture speaking of it in different ways.
Posted By: G Hose

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/01/22 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Foxpaw
"I Was There When It Happened, So I guess I ought To Know". That would make a good title and somebody ought to write a song.

This is the song your speaking of I assume

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/01/22 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper

Blessings,
Mark

Not at all.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/01/22 11:07 AM

Blessings,
Mark

Not at all.

Blessings,
Mark

Keeping some one from recognizing you regardless if you use a disguise or the power to change what their eye sees, is deception. lol

Your turn.

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/01/22 11:46 AM

HT, I thought it was the lack of faith of the Resurrection that blinded the eyes of the two. That lack of faith blinds the eyes of many

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/01/22 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by J Staton
HT, I thought it was the lack of faith of the Resurrection that blinded the eyes of the two. That lack of faith blinds the eyes of many

If so, eating a sandwich suddenly gave them the faith needed to recognize Him?
Posted By: run

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/01/22 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by J Staton

If so, eating a sandwich suddenly gave them the faith needed to recognize Him?

Something like that.

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/01/22 12:13 PM

I have heard deception used when referring to Jacob, even a righteous deceiver? Others say a shrewd business man. Maybe he was conditioned by his father-in-law when he switched girls on him.

There was no deception in what Jesus did on the cross. It was not done in a hidden corner , but in the open on a hill for the whole world to observe!
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/01/22 12:19 PM

[quote=Mark June]I don't know what the term means. I've never heard it.

Blessings,
Mark

Not at all.

Blessings,
Mark

Keeping some one from recognizing you regardless if you use a disguise or the power to change what their eye sees, is deception. lol

Your turn.
[/quote]
Even Jesus enjoyed practical jokes, it seems!

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/01/22 12:29 PM

Alrighty then.
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/01/22 12:47 PM

Blessings,
Mark

What about Acts 17:30
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/01/22 01:41 PM

Hmmm

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/01/22 05:25 PM

I wonder if what WRR is asking about might be what is commonly known as God's providence. I look for and see God's providence in my life but I never considered it a wink. Never heard the term. Might be a word unique to a certain denomination.
Posted By: K9BeavCoon

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/01/22 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Posco
I wonder if what WRR is asking about might be what is commonly known as God's providence. I look for and see God's providence in my life but I never considered it a wink. Never heard the term. Might be a word unique to a certain denomination.

This is how I took it.
Posted By: Wild_WI

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/01/22 06:10 PM

Hmmmmm indeed

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/01/22 06:18 PM

No idea,heard it on christian radio yesterday...it was new to me also but then if you research it on the net you find much about it.

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/01/22 06:19 PM

im driving my car yesterday morning in ohio about 10 am and wishing i had a contemporary christian station then thinking when i go home ill look online for one locally when my radio tuned to 103.5 christian radio in Detroit and i listened to a song then the dj came on and asked,have u ever been driving your car hoping for a christian station and bam one comes on? He said is it coincidence or have you been godwinked?

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/01/22 06:29 PM

Heres a reply I just got from a minister a minute ago....
He is God. He can do whatever and however... lol

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/01/22 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by west river rogue

And God does things consistent with His character.
Posted By: .204

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/01/22 06:38 PM

And his word!

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/01/22 06:39 PM

All things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28.

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/01/22 06:50 PM

There's an old saying that has a lot of merit to it when it comes to all things biblical.

If it's new, it's not true. If it's true, it's not new.

I wouldn't go looking to TBN for spiritual guidance. Same goes for much of "Christian" radio.

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/01/22 06:56 PM

There's an old saying that has a lot of merit to it when it comes to all things biblical.

If it's new, it's not true. If it's true, it's not new.

I wouldn't go looking to TBN for spiritual guidance. Same goes for much of "Christian" radio.

I dont, But i trust God.....And the things he does in our lives. I have polled so many Christians locally about this topic and was curious about responses although not much different then I imagined, but very few Dug for the answers...as expected. One told me interesting topic and it made him think and research.

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/01/22 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Giant Sage

Blessings,
Mark

What about Acts 17:30

I'm not sure the Q GS? Acts 17:30-31 is the "theme" of Luke's book of Acts. Paul is preaching to the Gentiles as usual because he is God's Anointed to take the Gospel to the Gentile nations (something Israel was supposed to do all along).

I don't show a word like "wink."

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/01/22 07:04 PM

Wink! grin

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/01/22 07:15 PM

There are 17 references to "a sham" or "deception" in the OT. Hebrew word sheqer. And no God referenced.
In the NT, there are 4 times the words "spate" or "plave" are used meaning deception and still no God referenced.

I'd say it's 100% assured no one wrote of God's deception in the Holy Scriptures, because God cannot sin. It's against His Nature.

But not against ours.

Blessings!
Mark

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/02/22 02:50 AM

There are 17 references to "a sham" or "deception" in the OT. Hebrew word sheqer. And no God referenced.
In the NT, there are 4 times the words "spate" or "plave" are used meaning deception and still no God referenced.

I'd say it's 100% assured no one wrote of God's deception in the Holy Scriptures, because God cannot sin. It's against His Nature.

But not against ours.

Blessings!
Mark

MJ, I was asking about the acts 17 : 30 vs And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men everywhere to repent. KJV the same Bible Darby and Skolfield preached from. The original post was God winked, right. Just don't see the deception in God winked.

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/02/22 03:12 AM

MJ, translated from hupereido, to overlook .

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/03/22 08:45 AM

Interesting GS.
You're tee'ing up other dispensationalists like Darby and Scofield, whom I've read a fair deal of their commentaries (and especially Darby's writings on God's dispensations to us), but I'm not sure where the good King James' translators came up with "wink" from the Koine Greek huperdon? Which BDAG has as; "to disregard as not worthy of one’s notice, disdain, despise?" Perhaps they thought that this meant a "wink."??

The NET translation has the huperdon as, "“has deliberately paid no attention to.”

I don't think winking is how Luke wrote Acts 17:30 to be understood, but that rather he wrote it to be understood as God ignores it.

Good deep dive brother!
Blessings,
Mark

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/03/22 01:01 PM

Interesting GS.
You're tee'ing up other dispensationalists like Darby and Scofield, whom I've read a fair deal of their commentaries (and especially Darby's writings on God's dispensations to us), but I'm not sure where the good King James' translators came up with "wink" from the Koine Greek huperdon? Which BDAG has as; "to disregard as not worthy of one’s notice, disdain, despise?" Perhaps they thought that this meant a "wink."??

The NET translation has the huperdon as, "“has deliberately paid no attention to.”

I don't think winking is how Luke wrote Acts 17:30 to be understood, but that rather he wrote it to be understood as God ignores it.

Good deep dive brother!
Blessings,
Mark

New Strongs concordance, Hupereido ( To overlook. ) Thanks for the response Mark.
Rich
Posted By: run

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/03/22 01:31 PM

Great discussion, I just want to follow along. Keep it up, everyone!
Posted By: Kart29

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/03/22 02:29 PM

This is a little off topic but the discussion above reminded me of something.

In the Gospel of John we read the story where Jesus's brother tell Him He should go down to Jerusalem for the passover - because nobody who wants to be know stays out in the small towns - you have to go to the big city if you want everyone to know you. Jesus tells His brothers that he is not going to Jerusalem for the passover because His time has not yet come.

Then... later in the same chapter, after His brothers take off for Jerusalem, Jesus goes too. And, He doesn't just remain incognito and observe from the shadows. No, He even stands up at the feast and makes a loud proclamation.

So, was Jesus dishonest when He told his brothers He was not going to go to Jerusalem for the feast?

I believe Jesus to be the sinless Lamb of God. So, I know he wasn't technically lying - at least not in a sinful way. But the story above makes it seem like Jesus was dishonest with His brothers. I'm not sure how to reconcile that.
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/03/22 03:56 PM

im driving my car yesterday morning in ohio about 10 am and wishing i had a contemporary christian station then thinking when i go home ill look online for one locally when my radio tuned to 103.5 christian radio in Detroit and i listened to a song then the dj came on and asked,have u ever been driving your car hoping for a christian station and bam one comes on? He said is it coincidence or have you been godwinked?

I have stuff like that happen to me too. Like I was driving past the cemetery thinking about stopping at Mom's grave, but I drove by, and I'm flipping through radio channels, and her favorite hymn comes on... I just laughed and turned around and went to say hi to Mom, because I knew it was a God thing.
I think people constantly underestimate Gods sense of humor, and especially theologians... I love me some good theology but sometimes you have to look for God around you also, not only in the Word.

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/03/22 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by PAskinner

I have stuff like that happen to me too. Like I was driving past the cemetery thinking about stopping at Mom's grave, but I drove by, and I'm flipping through radio channels, and her favorite hymn comes on... I just laughed and turned around and went to say hi to Mom, because I knew it was a God thing.
I think people constantly underestimate Gods sense of humor, and especially theologians... I love me some good theology but sometimes you have to look for God around you also, not only in the Word.

Agreed!

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/03/22 04:59 PM

Was watching city harvest church in Singapore,amazing number of Christians . They were praying for healing. I prayed intensely God heal my heart. Then I went to my chair grabbed my Bible and prayed God show me what u want me to see today when a friend from church text me and sent me these ( I just asked God what are the words you want me to see today and what do you want to share... he took me right to this. I had been studying Acts and Proverbs 1 but Hod clearly showed me Matthew 7...and Ask and it shall be given.. you asked and He is giving. ") Amen

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/03/22 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Kart29
This is a little off topic but the discussion above reminded me of something.

In the Gospel of John we read the story where Jesus's brother tell Him He should go down to Jerusalem for the passover - because nobody who wants to be know stays out in the small towns - you have to go to the big city if you want everyone to know you. Jesus tells His brothers that he is not going to Jerusalem for the passover because His time has not yet come.

Then... later in the same chapter, after His brothers take off for Jerusalem, Jesus goes too. And, He doesn't just remain incognito and observe from the shadows. No, He even stands up at the feast and makes a loud proclamation.

So, was Jesus dishonest when He told his brothers He was not going to go to Jerusalem for the feast?

I believe Jesus to be the sinless Lamb of God. So, I know he wasn't technically lying - at least not in a sinful way. But the story above makes it seem like Jesus was dishonest with His brothers. I'm not sure how to reconcile that.

This is an easy one and I won’t have to tell you that you haven’t read and correctly interpreted the Greek work for “not” or “going”.

Jesus said it wasn’t His time yet without clarifying when that time would be. Once His brothers left it is quite possible that God said, “It is time, go be with your brothers.”
Posted By: Kart29

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/03/22 06:44 PM

I guess it was the Feast of Tabernacles, not the Passover.

From John 7 in the NIV

6 Therefore Jesus told them, “My time is not yet here; for you any time will do. 7 The world cannot hate you, but it hates me because I testify that its works are evil. 8 You go to the festival. I am not[b] going up to this festival, because my time has not yet fully come.” 9 After he had said this, he stayed in Galilee.

10 However, after his brothers had left for the festival, he went also, not publicly, but in secret.

b. John 7:8 Some manuscripts not yet

Interesting that the NIV has a footnote indicating that some manuscripts have "not yet" instead of just "not". The "not yet" would resolve the conflict and be in line with what you suggested Hobbie.

(If I had been reading the good ol' NIV instead of the stupid ESV in the first place it could have saved us all some time.)
crazy

Re: Who has been God Winked? - 10/03/22 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Giant Sage
Interesting GS.

Good deep dive brother!
Blessings,
Mark

New Strongs concordance, Hupereido ( To overlook. ) Thanks for the response Mark.
Rich

And this ^^^^^ is the way theology is to be discussed! With civility. Always a pleasure Giant Sage.

Blessings!
Mark
© 2024 Trapperman Forums