Home

Ar-15 gas blocks

Posted By: Wolfdog91

Ar-15 gas blocks - 10/02/22 12:41 PM

So got a 20" 1:8 .223 Wylde barrel headed my way but need to get a new gas system for it. For y'all who build Ar's would I go with just a standard or an adjustable? Thing is going to be eating 90% handload and running non supressed.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Ar-15 gas blocks - 10/02/22 12:44 PM

Since you like to tinker I would suggest adjustable. If you were a buy ammo shootbit and not looking to improve anything I would say standard.

Either will work especially with full length gas system.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Ar-15 gas blocks - 10/02/22 12:47 PM

I would go with a standard, if you are not going to run a suppressor. The suppressor can make your bolt cycle harder so it's nice to be able to turn the gas down with the adjustable when using one.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Ar-15 gas blocks - 10/02/22 01:01 PM

After Wolf makes it to a silencer shoot he will automatically want everything suppressed. Got to like totally plan for the future dude. there is silencer shoot in Georgia and one st my farm in Indiana most year's. The one in Georgia is bigger.
Posted By: Tooltime

Re: Ar-15 gas blocks - 10/02/22 01:05 PM

I like adjustable blocks. Easier to tune rifle making sure it cycles
Posted By: warrior

Re: Ar-15 gas blocks - 10/02/22 01:20 PM

From what you describe a standard fixed gas will suffice, particularly if you plan on shooting nothing but stand ammo.

Adjustable comes into it's own under a few conditions. Suppressed if the rifle is not specifically set up as suppressed only. The rifle is intended to use a wide selection of bullet weights or speeds. To minimize recoil and fine tune for rapid fire as found in some of the shooting sports. To correct for an overgas situation such as a gas port drilled to large for the application. Rifle grenades, if you intend to use rifle grenades then having the ability to close off the gas is a plus. Adverse conditions, if you regularly do mag dumps or otherwise go long periods between cleaning or shoot mixed lots of ammo being able to open up the gas when it chokes can be a plus but most aftermarket adjustables aren't designed for on the fly adjustment under these conditions.
Posted By: trapperjdb

Re: Ar-15 gas blocks - 10/02/22 10:34 PM

I would suggest getting a adjustable gas block. The Superlative Arms bleed off block is a good one, I use that one on my pistol. I do run a adjustable bolt carrier group that has 4 settings. It works well on my rifle when I switch it from suppressed to unsuppressed.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Ar-15 gas blocks - 10/02/22 10:39 PM

With a rifle length gas system and full power handholds with no can on it, You can put that money towards a decent tripper instead of spending in on an adjustable gas block.
Posted By: 1lessdog

Re: Ar-15 gas blocks - 10/02/22 11:10 PM

I have built 100's of AR's and would go with a standard gas block
With a 20" barrel it should be rifle length gas tube.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums