Home

What Chest Waders to get

Posted By: Beavertrapper24

What Chest Waders to get - 10/04/22 04:58 PM

Well I accidently ripped a huge hole in my chest waders and season open next month so I'm in the market for a new pair again. I don't think I have had to buy a new pair of waders in 7 years what are some of your guys current favorites and ones to avoid. This last pair I have was neoprene and it worked ok very warm but they seamed to get damaged easily around the sticks of beaver trapping.
Posted By: Super Wide

Re: What Chest Waders to get - 10/04/22 06:09 PM

Dan's, the best there is. Buy once, cry once.
Posted By: K9BeavCoon

Re: What Chest Waders to get - 10/04/22 08:51 PM

Following…. I used to think I needed to buy certain brands but after I started beaver trapping it’s pretty hard for me not to get holes from sticks, conibear triggers, tie wire etc…
Posted By: TheYouthTrapper

Re: What Chest Waders to get - 10/05/22 02:38 AM

I'm looking for a pair of insulated waders for when it gets cold too, any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

-TheYouthTrapper
Posted By: AJE

Re: What Chest Waders to get - 10/05/22 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by Beavertrapper24
..This last pair I have was neoprene and it worked ok very warm but they seamed to get damaged easily around the sticks of beaver trapping.
That's the issue I've had with neoprene
Posted By: Line Jumper

Re: What Chest Waders to get - 10/05/22 11:49 AM

Here’s the only Dans waders I can find, not much info, are they insulated? Can they be patched? The only waders that hold up for me are the Lacrosse insulated lll, because I can use tire patches on them. The Insulator ll we’re better but they quit making them, they may have quit the lll now too. [Linked Image]

Re: What Chest Waders to get - 10/05/22 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by TheYouthTrapper
I'm looking for a pair of insulated waders for when it gets cold too, any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

-TheYouthTrapper

I see Mn trap line products still sell the Insulator lll waders, they are warm, durable, easy to patch, but a little on the heavy side.
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: What Chest Waders to get - 10/05/22 02:18 PM

I don't use my waders for trapping but fishing. I fish right up till ice freezes the river over so as its not fishable. I don't have insulated waders, I wear 2 pair of insulated pants. the feet get cold as I'm standing for the most part when in cold water, not moving much. If I'm moving around then there is no issue with getting cold.
I do push thru berry patches and woods and slide down banks on my butt at times along with alot of walking from spot to spot..
I have Simms waders, expensive but very good guarantee. I had a small leak develop on one of the boots when they were 3 years old, they gave me a new set of waders.
I don't think they would last as long trapping, maybe but I don't know.
I used to fish about 4-6 hours/day 3-4 days a week so they did get a lot of use.

Re: What Chest Waders to get - 10/05/22 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Line Jumper

-TheYouthTrapper

I see Mn trap line products still sell the Insulator lll waders, they are warm, durable, easy to patch, but a little on the heavy side.

Those look good but 300$ for a pair of waders when I'm still growing is a lot. I was thinking of the brown neoprenes from Cabelas since I've seen a lot of guys run them.
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: What Chest Waders to get - 10/05/22 10:20 PM

I bought a pair of banded waders a few years ago. They are comfortable and quilted on the inside, so they are plenty warm. They're like wearing a pair of bib overalls. The boots are a bit heavy. No rips or holes yet
Posted By: We-Sa

Re: What Chest Waders to get - 10/05/22 11:51 PM

Not exactly what you were asking but I've been pretty pleased with a pair of frog go-to egg hip waders for the money.
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: What Chest Waders to get - 10/05/22 11:57 PM

Trapping is hard on neoprene.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: What Chest Waders to get - 10/06/22 12:10 AM

Here’s the only Dans waders I can find, not much info, are they insulated? Can they be patched? The only waders that hold up for me are the Lacrosse insulated lll, because I can use tire patches on them. The Insulator ll we’re better but they quit making them, they may have quit the lll now too. [Linked Image]

They are not insulated. But for trapping, they dont need to be. As least here anyways, I get warm enough moving around that staying warm isnt a problem. As for patching...well I havent had to patch them yet going into year 5!(*knocks on all the wood*). The briarproof layer protects the actual wader part of the waders. I would think that you would have to get bit by an animal or run into machinery to get a hole in the things. Ive run them through a lot of MFR, other briars, barbwire, beaver punji sticks, etc.

Re: What Chest Waders to get - 10/06/22 12:27 AM

Any opinions on the Cabelas's classic Series 2 Neoprene waders? Seen a lot of guys run them and they sound good.

Re: What Chest Waders to get - 10/06/22 11:57 AM

I have never had neoprene waders, but in my opinion you need an insulated wader in SD, and if your still growing and on a budget don’t go for big money waders. Years ago I had some cheap hodgman camo waders I used for duck hunting and a back up for trapping if mine were wet. They had a canvas type upper, and they lasted many years with just occasional use on the trap line.
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: What Chest Waders to get - 10/06/22 12:34 PM

Any opinions on the Cabelas's classic Series 2 Neoprene waders? Seen a lot of guys run them and they sound good.

I would not buy any waders that Cabelas sells. Their warranty is non existent now. Supermags used to be my wader of choice as they had a lifetime warranty. I would have to replace them every year because they always developed leaks.

Last time I took them back they told me the lifetime warranty was no more and it was only a 1 year warranty now and that this would be the last replacement I could get. Got that pair and they leaked brand new out of the box, I scrapped them and bought another brand.

Neoprene is not the way to go in my opinion

I wear non insulated Gore tex waders now and layer accordingly. I hunt in ND, KS, etc etc in some cold conditions and I haven't been cold in them yet if layered properly
Posted By: pigtrapper

Re: What Chest Waders to get - 10/06/22 12:54 PM

Dans are the way to go. The boot is similar to a muck boot and the outer bib is very, Very, VERY tough. The liners will start to leek in the seems after a couple of years. A little gorilla glue on the seems and you are good to go again for a couple more years.

PIG
Posted By: willvalley

Re: What Chest Waders to get - 10/06/22 12:56 PM

Was watching an outdoor show yesterday that had an piece on some waders called HIGH N DRY. They sound like they are extremely well made and super tough. A bit on the high side for price but if all said on the show and there were sight worth the price.
Posted By: BigBlackBirds

Re: What Chest Waders to get - 10/06/22 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by coondagger2

I would not buy any waders that Cabelas sells. Their warranty is non existent now. Supermags used to be my wader of choice as they had a lifetime warranty. I would have to replace them every year because they always developed leaks.

Last time I took them back they told me the lifetime warranty was no more and it was only a 1 year warranty now and that this would be the last replacement I could get. Got that pair and they leaked brand new out of the box, I scrapped them and bought another brand.

Neoprene is not the way to go in my opinion

I wear non insulated Gore tex waders now and layer accordingly. I hunt in ND, KS, etc etc in some cold conditions and I haven't been cold in them yet if layered properly

I'd consider the above advice in the wader search. 1) 35 years ago neoprene was a game changer for outdoor wet conditions. and if you remain motionless in extreme cold it still shines. winter steelhead is a good example where you have little activity level and could stay submerged in cold ice covered water for extended periods. to me neoprene is a pretty niche product whereas breathable provides more benefits overall once you learn how to use it. 2) seems that most everything Cabelas is a fraction of the quality it once was. coupel seasons back i threw away a pair of cabelas breathables that were 15+ years old and finally starting leaking. the replacements leaked in the first month.

if you use waders in the cold get something that allows you to layer socks and breathable under garments. and i find boot selection with breathables to be important also. i do best by keeping summer waders and wading shoes in smaller size and winter gear in a larger size. i've spents hours in breathables in temps where there ends up with inch layer of ice over them and still been comfortable enough. when i'm wearing waders every day, i find alternating between pairs is my preference to allow them to completely dry.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: What Chest Waders to get - 10/06/22 02:27 PM

Won't go back to Neoprenes again. They tear easily, are heavy and over time soak up water.

My Go to's was the Cabelas dry weave stuff. No need for insulation if dry (and can use them in the summer). Well now that Bass Pro took over, I'll be searching as well.

The Dry weave stuff is the way to go. Lighter than jeans and doesn't tear easily.

Re: What Chest Waders to get - 10/06/22 10:04 PM

I don’t get how you guys can get by without insulated waders, beginning of the season my feet sweat a little not much, then I am comfortable up until I am breaking ice to get to sets, then I have to wear wool socks. I always wore chest highs because most of my competitors did not and I could get up or down stream farther. Now right of way trapping is dead and buried in WI so I lost interest in mink trapping. Doesn’t help they are worth nothing.

Re: What Chest Waders to get - 10/06/22 10:05 PM

Also remember we are trying to help a youngster on a budget, that is still growing!

Re: What Chest Waders to get - 10/06/22 10:16 PM

These are cheaper, know idea if they are any good[Linked Image]

Re: What Chest Waders to get - 10/07/22 12:46 AM

I don’t get how you guys can get by without insulated waders, beginning of the season my feet sweat a little not much, then I am comfortable up until I am breaking ice to get to sets, then I have to wear wool socks. I always wore chest highs because most of my competitors did not and I could get up or down stream farther. Now right of way trapping is dead and buried in WI so I lost interest in mink trapping. Doesn’t help they are worth nothing.

That's why I originally thought Neoprenes were good because I've heard they keep you warm, I do need a pair of insulated as it's already 47 degrees out and I don't start for another month.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums