Home

Herters rifle ammo?

Posted By: Flicker Shad

Herters rifle ammo? - 10/04/22 09:44 PM

It's cheap. Is it any good? I read it's Winchester bullets?
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Hertters rifle ammo? - 10/04/22 11:55 PM

it is just Winchester by another name , bargain brand .

depends how it shoots in your gun and what your doing with it.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Hertters rifle ammo? - 10/05/22 02:37 AM

My mom bought some Herter's 308 but out of a box of 20 she only got one to fire through her Savage 99. It will shoot Winchester or Remington ammo fine, but is hit or miss on Federal going off in it. I have a Savage 99 just like it and it fired the Herter's she bought just fine. Don't know how it groups because I had the sights off my rifle and just fired four rounds through it to make sure they would go off in it.
Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

Re: Hertters rifle ammo? - 10/05/22 04:05 AM

Sounds more like a firing pin or bolt head problem than an ammo problem in Mom's 99.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Hertters rifle ammo? - 10/05/22 04:09 AM

I use a lot of Herters .223 in my AR years ago. Never had any trouble and I'd kept using it but they quit sell it or something it wasn't available for a long time. These days I choose not to support Cabelas and BPS anyway.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Hertters rifle ammo? - 10/05/22 04:44 AM

Herter's is still around? wow
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Hertters rifle ammo? - 10/05/22 04:48 AM

They went bust long ago, somebody bought the name rights, and revived certain products only.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Hertters rifle ammo? - 10/05/22 05:49 AM

^^^^^
Sort of like "Newhouse" I guess.
I don't understand the point in companies doing that.
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Hertters rifle ammo? - 10/05/22 08:40 AM

I ran into some Herters fired brass last year. Looking closer, the back of the box said made by Sellier and Bellot, a Czeck company. Only issue I saw was some weird flattened primers in factory ammo.........which I'm told was "normal" for them.

Mom bought ammo? To shoot herself? I'm impressed. Last ammo that I know of my mother bought was some BB's for me......but that was nearly 60 years ago.
Posted By: jk

Re: Hertters rifle ammo? - 10/05/22 10:43 AM

When I was a kid and a case of 12 gauge Herters came to the front door I knew we were going crow hunting soon = YIPPIE.......jk
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Hertters rifle ammo? - 10/05/22 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by turkn8rtrapper
Sounds more like a firing pin or bolt head problem than an ammo problem in Mom's 99.

Yeah, it is currently at a gunsmith. It is a known issue that Federals weren't reliable in it for years, but after she bought the Herter's and they wouldn't shoot she was finally convinced to take it to a gunsmith. They do apparently have harder primers or something than some other ammo however.

Hayday, mom bought her rifle new herself, before she married dad, back when she was like 18 and working at a store that sold sporting goods. She has killed a lot of deer and a number of elk and bear with that rifle, she finally got a 30-30 for a bear rifle a few years ago, but that 99 is still all she packs deer and elk hunting.

Re: Hertters rifle ammo? - 10/05/22 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by waggler
^^^^^
Sort of like "Newhouse" I guess.
I don't understand the point in companies doing that.

name recognition , so many people grew up hearing grandpa say XYZ is a good brand it , the don't stop long enough to investigate , just grab item off shelf with name grandpa used to use and stuff it in the cart.

whats crazy is gun shops will have some one come in and say I need a 9mm luger , well we have some guns chambered in 9mm Luger but no Lugers and the first gun that says luger on the chamber that's the one they want to buy , because grandpappy said 9 lugers were great guns and they are only half understanding or were only half listening.

Re: Hertters rifle ammo? - 10/05/22 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by bearcat2

Hayday, mom bought her rifle new herself, before she married dad, back when she was like 18 and working at a store that sold sporting goods. She has killed a lot of deer and a number of elk and bear with that rifle, she finally got a 30-30 for a bear rifle a few years ago, but that 99 is still all she packs deer and elk hunting.

now that is cool , glad your mom is still hunting

my grandma bought Grandpa his M37 Ithaca as a wedding present , he passed it on to my uncle in 2018 and passed away in 2019

I have an aunt who loves to hunt with us , but she gave up on carrying a gun and the last 15 or so years it was her with her 2 ski poles and compass doing drives, she loved to be in the woods she is 89 now and has had to sit out the last 3 years but she hosts deer camp at her house still.
Posted By: TC1

Re: Hertters rifle ammo? - 10/05/22 01:28 PM

Green, that’s as cool as the other side of the pillow! Glad to hear other families are still bonding that way!
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: Hertters rifle ammo? - 10/05/22 02:11 PM

I have my grandfather old Savage 99 in 30-30. When hunting you have to take care when you lock up the lever(safe-off then).
The trigger is a hair trigger. Just lay your finger alongside and make sure your on then slowly squeeze it.
It will surprise you when it fires. Its worn pretty good. Half hex barrel.

Re: Hertters rifle ammo? - 10/05/22 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by TC1
Green, that’s as cool as the other side of the pillow! Glad to hear other families are still bonding that way!

my wife and my brothers wife also kept the tradition of buying their husband a gun for a wedding present.

My great Grandma and Great Step Grandpa Met at deer camp , her cousin and cousins husband the doctor for the area brought a friend Roy to deer camp ,Roy's wife had passed the year before , My great grandmother had been a widow of 8 years. they met opening weekend the week of thanksgiving and were married in January.

Roy was my dads favorite grandpa , all his biological grandpas died when he was very young.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Hertters rifle ammo? - 10/05/22 04:07 PM

I had a Herter's over/under. The extractor broke. I took it to a gunsmith. He looked for a long time and finally found one. He suggested I get rid of it before something else goes wrong with it. Parts were pretty hard to find, if not impossible. So, I sold it and bought a Winchester 101 over/under.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Hertters rifle ammo? - 10/05/22 04:09 PM

Herter's also made some traps. I used to have several #1 jumps. They were pretty decent traps for setting inside rat houses.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums