Home

You'll rot your teeth

Posted By: warrior

You'll rot your teeth - 10/05/22 01:29 AM

How many remember that as a kid?

My granny always had a flat, the old wood boxes, of the small bottle co-colas (that is how we said it though she would sometimes say dope) by the backdoor of her breezeway.

Us younguns were allowed only a half of one per day, period, and nothing could persuade her otherwise. You'll rot your teeth out, she said.

It would be years later that dad would spill the beans. Co-cola was granny's dirty little secret indulgence enjoying one every day before bedtime, lol.

Now mama's daddy, well he had two refrigerators in his garage. One for fish bait the other slap full of co-cola cans and he didn't give a rip just don't drink them all, lol.
Posted By: 160user

Re: You'll rot your teeth - 10/05/22 01:31 AM

They go great with Canadian whiskey.

Re: You'll rot your teeth - 10/05/22 01:35 AM

Now I know there was none of that in her house. Tee totaling Baptist as they come, would turn the TV off if a show had a drink or gun on it. None of that gangster stuff in this house. Lawrence Welk was about as racy as it got, lol.
Posted By: waggler

Re: You'll rot your teeth - 10/05/22 01:50 AM

^^^^^
How I hated Saturday night, my dad always turned on the Lawrence Welk show. It was corny even by the standards of the late 60's.
Posted By: hippie

Re: You'll rot your teeth - 10/05/22 01:56 AM

Welk was on Sunday evenings here and Gram had to watch it....only good part was when it was over, Mutual of Omahas Wild Kingdom came on.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: You'll rot your teeth - 10/05/22 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by hippie
Welk was on Sunday evenings here and Gram had to watch it....only good part was when it was over, Mutual of Omahas Wild Kingdom came on.

I would wait all week to see that show too ! grin
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: You'll rot your teeth - 10/05/22 02:08 AM

Oh yeah. That show was great!

Wild America was good too. Marty Stoeffer taught me as much about some of my target species as any trapper LOL
Posted By: Sharon

Re: You'll rot your teeth - 10/05/22 02:13 AM

I liked that one also, Hoss ! Let’s face it, back then, animal shows were seldom seen for me, and I would wait all week to see them.

Sometimes shows would feature animals in a certain country and I loved those.

The most that you’d ever see most times was Mr Ed ! Lol
Posted By: Boco

Re: You'll rot your teeth - 10/05/22 02:20 AM

Did You watch Bonanza on Sunday night before Ed Sullivan?
Was he Hal's Dad?
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: You'll rot your teeth - 10/05/22 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by hippie

Marlin or Marvin Perkins, wasn’t it?
Posted By: hippie

Re: You'll rot your teeth - 10/05/22 02:22 AM

Yep, and poor Jim did all the dirty work, lol.

Re: You'll rot your teeth - 10/05/22 02:24 AM

Mutual of Omaha came on Sundays right after Walt Disney.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: You'll rot your teeth - 10/05/22 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Sharon
I liked that one also, Hoss ! Let’s face it, back then, animal shows were seldom seen for me, and I would wait all week to see them.

Sometimes shows would feature animals in a certain country and I loved those.

The most that you’d ever see most times was Mr Ed ! Lol

When Mr. Ed came on,,my Dad would bring the Horse into the living room.He and the horse would each have a beer and watch the show.Then,,back to the barn with the horse.The horse loved beer. smile
Posted By: nh toe pincher

Re: You'll rot your teeth - 10/05/22 01:41 PM

marty stoeffers videography was amazing for the equipment of the time, i think of the footage of the bobcat chasing a snowshoe hare in slow-mo, that rabbit dove under the snow & ol bob overshot went right on by! lol i believe it got away but its been so long i could be wrong.
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: You'll rot your teeth - 10/05/22 01:51 PM

we didn't get soda when we were young. Mom said it was bad for our teeth too.
My Dad did drink pepsi, he had maybe 2-3 a day, he worked construction.

In the end I think it was a good thing we didn't get soda, the stuff is not good for you and we never developed a habit of drinking it.
Both the wife and I don't drink the stuff to this day.

Posted By: Trapper7

Re: You'll rot your teeth - 10/05/22 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by nh toe pincher
marty stoeffers videography was amazing for the equipment of the time, i think of the footage of the bobcat chasing a snowshoe hare in slow-mo, that rabbit dove under the snow & ol bob overshot went right on by! lol i believe it got away but its been so long i could be wrong.

I loved Mart Stoeffer's films. I saw that one with the bobcat chasing the snowshoe hare. He seemed to always get some pretty rare shots.
Posted By: gcs

Re: You'll rot your teeth - 10/05/22 05:20 PM

Never had soda as a kid at home unless there was a birthday party, but at granmas house she had those 7 oz bottles of coke and 7 up in the back fridge. Except we wouldn't take a 7 up cause thats what granpa drank, lol, and you only ever took one....
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: You'll rot your teeth - 10/05/22 06:55 PM

My grandma would always tell us we would get worms if we ate raw oatmeal.

I never cared for Welk. That show was for the old timers. Remember the guy who played the spoons?
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: You'll rot your teeth - 10/06/22 01:30 AM

My first tear in college was in Roscommon Michigan. Up North, as they say. We were smack dab between to TV stations. You turned the TV on and find that channel 9 comes in. Eventually you'd get the station identification. "You are watching TV 9 and 10." You then turned the knob to escape Lawrence Welk. The only other channel that came in which was, you guessed it, Channel 10. The station identification would come on, "You are watching TV 9 and 10." Guess what's on? Lawrence Welk! It was like living in a bad episode of The Twilight Zone.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: You'll rot your teeth - 10/06/22 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by waggler
^^^^^
How I hated Saturday night, my dad always turned on the Lawrence Welk show. It was corny even by the standards of the late 60's.

I sat next to my Grandma and watched Carol Burnett...and Lawrence welk...to be with Her!
Carol Burnett was my Favorite

And Big 16 Oz bottles of Pepsi
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: You'll rot your teeth - 10/06/22 02:39 AM

Aaand Now Bobby and Barbara
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: You'll rot your teeth - 10/06/22 08:49 AM

Never really drank soda pop growing up. My family just didn't buy it. We drank a lot of milk though.

As for Lawrence Welk I must be the odd person out, I still watch repeats today. Lol

Watched an interview with Marty Stouffer one time and he said you'd be amazed how much footage he took just off the side of the road

Re: You'll rot your teeth - 10/06/22 12:21 PM

Mama never bought it so a co-cola was a grandparents treat.
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: You'll rot your teeth - 10/06/22 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper7
My grandma would always tell us we would get worms if we ate raw oatmeal.

I never cared for Welk. That show was for the old timers. Remember the guy who played the spoons?

I believe that was Mack Davis,
Posted By: k snow

Re: You'll rot your teeth - 10/06/22 12:35 PM

Didn't drink a lot of soda at home as kid. Grandparents never had it much either, mostly just water or iced tea.

I am not sure which show is worse, the Welk reruns on public tv, or sitting through HeeHaw at my Great Aunt's.
Posted By: waggler

Re: You'll rot your teeth - 10/06/22 12:52 PM

I believe most if not all of Martt Stouffer's footage was purchased from various "wildlife" photographers. I know one of those photographers who has a menagerie of tame wildlife that he used to film staged scenes. BTW, as many probably know, Stouffer is quite the anti.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums