Home

Elon Musk & Twitter

Posted By: Bob Jameson

Elon Musk & Twitter - 10/05/22 04:21 PM

It appears from the Media the deal to purchase Twitter is on once again. The left will be freaking out once again. I hope the buy goes forward and Elon will in time take out the trash embedded in his new company.
Posted By: Jkeith

Re: Elon Musk & Twitter - 10/05/22 04:52 PM

I wonder if 1) Twitter gave Musk what he wanted - the full scoop on the fake and spam accounts or 2) Musk thought he couldn't win the court case? In any case, this is very good news for free speech advocates and very bad news for censorship-loving liberals, which nowadays is redundent label.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Elon Musk & Twitter - 10/05/22 04:55 PM

From what I have read the judge in this case has a history of siding with Twitter on several of the issues Musk was contesting. He would’ve had an uphill battle in court so he has decided to just go ahead with the purchase.
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Elon Musk & Twitter - 10/05/22 05:06 PM

The other day Musk posted a poll asking what the best way forward for peace in Ukraine and he was instant attacked by the left, they dont want peace now they changed the goal post like they always and want regime change and WWIII all at once. Many of those that attacked him were bots so I think he realized what a propaganda machien twitter is and figured he woud pay full price just to control it.
Posted By: gcs

Re: Elon Musk & Twitter - 10/05/22 05:10 PM

He'll gut that place of the bloat and liberal crybabies...they better hone their resumes
Posted By: white17

Re: Elon Musk & Twitter - 10/05/22 05:34 PM

I think he realized that he had no case legally and now just wants to get this over with because it is dragging down the price of his TSLA stock.
He is overpaying by at least 25$ a share and maybe more.

Twitter may still decide to just ask the court to impose a billion dollar fine and then just scrap the deal. That would be the best outcome for everyone IMO

Re: Elon Musk & Twitter - 10/05/22 06:09 PM

Twitter remaining in the hands of the liberals is not in the best interest for everyone Its a propaganda machine that had a big part in stealing the elections.
I hope he buys it and burns it to the ground.

He did already say he was going to get rid of 1000 eployees there. That might help.

Re: Elon Musk & Twitter - 10/05/22 06:37 PM

I think it will burn itself to the ground. It has lost more money than it has made over the years. It's a lousy business and I think Musk was joking around when he made the initial offer. Stupid move IMO.

He should have bailed on the deal and paid the billion dollar break-up penalty and forgotten about it.

This could be a financial debacle for him.

No way he can control the politics as long as it's a public company. He might have a chance if he takes it private

Re: Elon Musk & Twitter - 10/05/22 06:43 PM

If I was into the market, I would buy twitter shares immediately before the price goes crazy. Musk never failed at anything I dont see him buying it and failing. No chance.

He did say he would take it private I believe.

I would also sell all FB/Meta before it fails completly.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Elon Musk & Twitter - 10/05/22 06:46 PM

they ain't gonna let musk rule over twitter...

Re: Elon Musk & Twitter - 10/05/22 06:54 PM

They are screaming about it but they dont have a choice.

Re: Elon Musk & Twitter - 10/05/22 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by yukonjeff
If I was into the market, I would buy twitter shares immediately before the price goes crazy. Musk never failed at anything I dont see him buying it and failing. No chance.

He did say he would take it private I believe.

I would also sell all FB/Meta before it fails completly.

I sure wouldn't buy it.

If they liquidated the company right now it would be worth less than 25$ a share.

Once Musk gets it....if he does......the price will free fall eventually. It is a worthless company. What does it have to sell ? Advertising is the only thing it can make money on.

Do you think all of today's big woke companies are going to pay Musk to put their ads on a site that allows free speech ? I don't see that happening

Re: Elon Musk & Twitter - 10/05/22 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by yukonjeff
They are screaming about it but they dont have a choice.

there are always options...

Re: Elon Musk & Twitter - 10/05/22 07:15 PM

Why would they liquidate it. That dont make sense. Remeber they have shareholders to answer too that want this. Without the deal with Musk Twitter stock would be tanking bad.

Of course the deep state will do everything they can to destroy him. George Sorros does post on Twitter, its his propaganda machiene,along with FB. All the bots amplifie any message he puts out making it look like everyone is pushing his agenda when its really bots doing, it like Musk pointed out.

Woke companies will pay to advertise there if thats where the eyballs are.

Musk will do great things with it I am sure of that.

Re: Elon Musk & Twitter - 10/05/22 08:01 PM

I was saying that IF they were to liquidate it........example....if they declared bankruptcy, then it would be worth less than $25 a share. Sure the shareholders want it because they are getting paid more than twice what it is worth........in intrinsic value.

Musk is paying 8 dollars for every dollar of revenue. That's REVENUE.........not earnings. Currently the company is losing money.

It would have made more sense economically if he was buying Facebook or Snapchat.

TWTR is a disaster from a business standpoint.

He might make a go of it but I doubt it.
Posted By: Tom Fisher

Re: Elon Musk & Twitter - 10/05/22 09:46 PM

It's always a big show with Elon and he does make them whine. Hope they have lots of cheese!
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Elon Musk & Twitter - 10/05/22 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by white17
I think he realized that he had no case legally and now just wants to get this over with because it is dragging down the price of his TSLA stock.
He is overpaying by at least 25$ a share and maybe more.

Twitter may still decide to just ask the court to impose a billion dollar fine and then just scrap the deal. That would be the best outcome for everyone IMO

I read an article this morning that said Twitter shares closed up 22% yesterday at $52.00 per share which brings them closer to the $54.20 per share Musk has offered.

This was presumably based on Musk ending his months-long legal battle and sending a letter stating his intention to buy yesterday prior to n emergency meeting with the judge.

Re: Elon Musk & Twitter - 10/05/22 11:43 PM

1. Musk will take the company private.
2. He will expand the platform beyond its current Orwellian limitations.
3. He will end the insane (marketing adverse) censorship.
4. Advertising revenue will pour in because of #2 and #3.
5. The cultural impact of opening up the tech public sphere will be analogous to the fall of the Berlin Wall.

We all get a chance to be jbyrd at least once on THIS platform, right? cool

Re: Elon Musk & Twitter - 10/06/22 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jkeith
5. The cultural impact of opening up the tech public sphere will be analogous to the fall of the Berlin Wall.

Hopefully not....

Re: Elon Musk & Twitter - 10/06/22 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Marty

Hopefully not....

Being insufferable does have its perks...like clearing a room.
Posted By: Dana I

Re: Elon Musk & Twitter - 10/06/22 01:30 PM

I think many have no idea what is happening here. Maybe White can clarify something for me as I am just a little league investor.

Elon has stated that he was taking it private. Is that not why there is a per share price? Doesn't that mean that there will be no shareholders to answer to? My understanding was that all shareholders would basically be forced to sell their shares to Elon at the $54 and change price that was negotiated. So if I am correct anyone who would pay more than that in the meantime would be a fool.

Re: Elon Musk & Twitter - 10/06/22 05:24 PM

If he takes it private there will likely still be some "minority" shareholders. Those will be the bankers and possibly some current board of directors members who own substantial blocks of stock. If I were a board member I certainly wouldn't remain a shareholder.

But in general YES. There will be no shareholders to answer to and better yet, no SEC to hassle Musk

You are correct that it would be foolish to pay more than the 54.20 Musk has offered. Lots of things can still go haywire with this deal. Some of his financing ( the bankers mentioned above) may back out because the price is so wildly out of sync with the value of the company.

That would force Musk to sell more shares of TSLA that he owns...further depressing that stock price.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Elon Musk & Twitter - 10/06/22 05:28 PM

Maybe he could use the loss for tax purposes while still acquiring holdings?

Re: Elon Musk & Twitter - 10/06/22 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by hippie
Maybe he could use the loss for tax purposes while still acquiring holdings?

I have thought about that angle too.

BUT, he has no loss until he buys TWTR and then sells it for less. He does have a huge capital gain tax liability from selling several billion dollars worth of TSLA stock..........if he can generate a loss on TWTR he may be able to reduce that tax liability next year. The timing is kinda funky.

He may have to pay the tax on the TSLA trade and then amend his return next year to harvest any loss that he may generate by buying and then selling TWTR.

I don't think he'll do that.

He may make a few changes to TWTR and then try to take it public again. At least he may get some of his money back. Several large companies have done that in the past

Re: Elon Musk & Twitter - 10/06/22 05:53 PM

I'm not sure either. I believe he owns around 15% of their stock now, so that would play in to.

My Dad would buy trailers or truck tractors or send money to the IRS, his choice, lol. I'm sure there are alot of factors in play, including those of the others he had asked to chip in.
(At least at one time he was looking for other investors)

Re: Elon Musk & Twitter - 10/06/22 06:07 PM

Yeah. Too many moving parts to this drama. Stay clear IMO

Re: Elon Musk & Twitter - 10/06/22 06:17 PM

Oh yea, we're outta that game. Got out several years ago once we figured we were good for our needs.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Elon Musk & Twitter - 10/06/22 08:30 PM

Capitalism at the higher level at work here. A rich person being able to most likely force a firm to make the transfer or sale way more advantagous for himself is the goal of many moguls and he is good at what he does. Some have referenced maybe some tax issues or savings. My God there are a whole host of tax advantages for him. Maybe the major one is if he has huge capital gains on selling stocks at a profit and invests in other stocks he can simply do a 1031 on that trade and not pay a dime. There are many ways to also create write offs and losses with owning a business. There are profit sharings, pension plans, benefis etc. that all have potential to create huge savings and he could indeed sell all or parts for a loss and stll make a ton of profit on the deal. A man like Musk has comptrollers that know all the rules and which ones are the most elastic and in reality most people don't like rich people but they admire them for their ways to make governments look bad. They want to get away with similar activities on a much smaller level.

Bryce

Re: Elon Musk & Twitter - 10/06/22 09:02 PM

The 36th annual Forbes list of the world's billionaires for 2022 lists Elon Musk as #1 with $219 billion. Jeff Bezos is #2 with $177 billion. I think Musk knows something about business and investing.
Posted By: BandB

Re: Elon Musk & Twitter - 10/06/22 09:54 PM

The 36th annual Forbes list of the world's billionaires for 2022 lists Elon Musk as #1 with $219 billion. Jeff Bezos is #2 with $177 billion. I think Musk knows something about business and investing.

True, but only jbyrd bats a thousand.

Re: Elon Musk & Twitter - 10/06/22 09:57 PM

grin grin
© 2024 Trapperman Forums