Home

Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23

Posted By: GFW - GROENEWOLD

Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/05/22 08:46 PM

Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23

https://youtu.be/9cXIquMLbK8

Posted By: DRF

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/05/22 08:55 PM

You mizzoura river fellas get your traps ready, That river is full of them.
Posted By: Wild_WI

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/05/22 08:57 PM

That's depressing
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/05/22 09:03 PM

Snare mark make a difference? Southern beaver more than hatters?
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/05/22 09:11 PM

Here it is:

Keith
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/05/22 09:12 PM

Always liked the guys that write a good check.If you’ve never sold to them when they say the truck will be there at 5.00 don’t get there at 5.01 as it may be gone,just sayin.Good job guys finding us a market.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 04:45 AM

Thanks
Posted By: claycreech

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 09:41 AM

There was a time they’d throw a dollar figure out there for different sections.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 10:34 AM

doesn't sound that bad , will have to get after the beaver
Posted By: Kevin Colpetzer

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 11:28 AM

Groney Rocks
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 11:42 AM

The real money is in the castors
Posted By: Line Jumper

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 11:49 AM

Did you notice that mink wasn’t even mentioned? Zero market? The price of gas to run a line? Someone better put us mink trappers on suicide watch:)
Posted By: micheal

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 11:49 AM

It's a start
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 12:10 PM

Last year's prices?

I'm not overly excited...
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 12:17 PM

Was that supposed to be encouraging, because it wasn't very enlightening?

Does anyone know what is going on with the renewed interest in beaver? Just the hatter market running out of inventory or is something else going on?
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 12:24 PM

No prices and no carcass goods accepted; what's next? IOU's at the window?
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 02:17 PM

GROENY ROCKS again !!!! laugh

Sharpen your knives and plug in your freezers !!!! laugh

walleyed
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 02:41 PM

I'd say...don't trap again this year...and make them desperate next year.

Just like OPEC reducing output by 2 million barrels per day....is going to drive prices up.

A NO Brainer !

We control the prices....

So Smaahten up..
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 02:46 PM

What do they specifically use the tails on deer for?
Posted By: Saskfly

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Pike River
What do they specifically use the tails on deer for?

Guys tying flies for fishing
Posted By: 080808

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 02:59 PM

Agree with Nessmuck but at 76 gotta set a few when I can. lol
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 03:00 PM

For those that believe what you just heard, that was nothing more than Groeny lip service. I’m sure he can use all the items he mentioned…doesn’t mean he’s going to pay for them. Production cost will again be above sale price this year…that’s what I heard between the lines. You’ll find that out in short order at the wagon.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck

Just like OPEC reducing output by 2 million barrels per day....is going to drive prices up.

A NO Brainer !

So Smaahten up..

Right on. Reduce the output and the prices will go up. But, there are trappers who say they will trap regardless of the price. They are partially responsible for the low prices.
Posted By: Crowfoot

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 03:25 PM

A NO Brainer !

So Smaahten up..

Originally Posted by BvrRetriever
For those that believe what you just heard, that was nothing more than Groeny lip service. I’m sure he can use all the items he mentioned…doesn’t mean he’s going to pay for them. Production cost will again be above sale price this year…that’s what I heard between the lines. You’ll find that out in short order at the wagon.

Check ! and Check, check !
Time will tell.
smile
Posted By: Muskratwalt

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 03:26 PM

I absolutely will be trapping. A low fur Market is what freezers are for. At 73 years of age I don't know how many more opening days I have left. Good luck to everybody that does trap.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 03:34 PM

"Targeting vulnerable older people through scamming is an abominable crime, which should receive much greater priority from our police and legal authorities." smile
Posted By: Muskratwalt

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 03:37 PM

Good observation dirt. Have fun on the Trap line if you go.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 03:41 PM

Good one Dirt! Ha!
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by walleye101

Does anyone know what is going on with the renewed interest in beaver? Just the hatter market running out of inventory or is something else going on?

I got more for GD DMG last sale than higher grades. Completely hatter driven say I.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper7

A NO Brainer !

So Smaahten up..

Right on. Reduce the output and the prices will go up. But, there are trappers who say they will trap regardless of the price. They are partially responsible for the low prices.

This statement is not entirely true.
I trap to manage my RTL's and protect it (and my investment in it) from degradation.
If you put all the fur on the raw fur market your statement may be true to some extent.
Animals harvested for management that are not wanted on the raw fur market have alternative value,if you choose to process them at all.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 04:24 PM

I agree with Boco and Nessy. I'm not gonna trap this year. I'm gonna stay in and bake bread, learn how to sew and take up crocheting again. Plus, I have a gas washing machine motor to fix. I'm gonna be a cross between Betty Crocker and Mr Handyman. grin grin
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 04:53 PM

Never have been a full time trapper and never will. I do trap a full day for a few weeks each year. I have put away the funds I plan to use for gas and supplies so I can trap as it has been good mental and physical theropy for me for several years. With the recent resurgance of gas prices I am guessing that there will be even fewer miles driven to catch fur than was thought about a month or so ago. Wow a moderate to longer WI coyote line with our type of coyotes would be a real money loser for sure. Good thing we have a lot of avid hunting groups that drive, stalk, call or chase them so the numbers to get some pressure.

Bryce
Posted By: Boone Liane

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 05:04 PM

A NO Brainer !

So Smaahten up..

Everybody should read this than read it again.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Catch22
I agree with Boco and Nessy. I'm not gonna trap this year. I'm gonna stay in and bake bread, learn how to sew and take up crocheting again. Plus, I have a gas washing machine motor to fix. I'm gonna be a cross between Betty Crocker and Mr Handyman. grin grin

Or Red Green and Rosie Grier lol
Posted By: MattLA

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Line Jumper
Did you notice that mink wasn’t even mentioned? Zero market? The price of gas to run a line? Someone better put us mink trappers on suicide watch:)

And this is why we bought the F150 Lightning. I can literally run my trap line for 5 dollars a day in "energy" costs. It has already saved me so much money during this hunting season. I will be getting one of the e bikes as well, but I need to ask a few more questions before I do that.
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Tofan

And this is why we bought the F150 Lightning. I can literally run my trap line for 5 dollars a day in "energy" costs. It has already saved me so much money during this hunting season. I will be getting one of the e bikes as well, but I need to ask a few more questions before I do that.

OR you could have bought an older truck and put the money in the tank. I drive a 99 cummins I paid 14k for

Assuming you paid cash 60k for your truck, that means I could buy 9600 gallons of diesel fuel for the cost difference

That would get me around 190,000 miles of driving and I don't have to worry about range or charging or overloading the energy grid with my 36 gallon diesel fuel tank smile
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 08:01 PM

You don't have to deal with snow and severe cold that reduces your battery down to less than half of what your suppose to get.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Turtledale
Originally Posted by Catch22

Or Red Green and Rosie Grier lol

Bout choked to death laughing so hard!

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 08:21 PM

Not harvesting a product or commodity that the market does not want will not create enough scarcity to raise the price much, more likely not at all. Demand drives most commidity markets and part of the reason the optimsim for beaver is demand and the prices go up more likely due to the suppliers trying to encourage harvest as the suppliers want to handle more product. There are a multitude of reasons for harvesting populations to keep them at healthy levels but will spare those comments. We can and do what we feel is right for us regardless of the market we are given.

Bryce

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 08:27 PM

Hey, there's nothing wrong with Rosie Grier. He is a 6'5 tough as nails football player and read those Judy Blume books in such a way to bring them to life. I bet if he were a trapper, he'd take this season off too! grin grin

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by bblwi
Not harvesting a product or commodity that the market does not want will not create enough scarcity to raise the price much, more likely not at all. Demand drives most commidity markets and part of the reason the optimsim for beaver is demand and the prices go up more likely due to the suppliers trying to encourage harvest as the suppliers want to handle more product. There are a multitude of reasons for harvesting populations to keep them at healthy levels but will spare those comments. We can and do what we feel is right for us regardless of the market we are given.

Bryce

Hi Bryce. Can you get down in the mud with me, I don't comprehend like I used to. I ask because I see a contradiction. Why is it that the suppliers are encouraging harvest as to handle more product, but yet that doesn't meet the criteria for supply and demand?
Posted By: MJM

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by bblwi
Never have been a full time trapper and never will. I do trap a full day for a few weeks each year. I have put away the funds I plan to use for gas and supplies so I can trap as it has been good mental and physical theropy for me for several years. With the recent resurgance of gas prices I am guessing that there will be even fewer miles driven to catch fur than was thought about a month or so ago. Wow a moderate to longer WI coyote line with our type of coyotes would be a real money loser for sure. Good thing we have a lot of avid hunting groups that drive, stalk, call or chase them so the numbers to get some pressure.
Bryce

Groney has said the demand was up on hatter beaver for the last three or four years, until someone is at the wagon.
Posted By: ChiefT

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 09:11 PM

All of my coyotes are getting rolled vacuum packed and put in the freezer. Keep them off the market. As soon as they run out. They will pay us back for the high fuel prices. If you get what I mean. 🙂

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 09:39 PM

I did not say that I like the way business is done, but it is the way many do operate and for those that respond due to money be that low or high then their pitch works. For those of us that mud on not so much. I will state however that my dry land lines have shrunk considerably over the last 4-6 years but as much with increased time searching for and trapping rats as not trapping at all.
If Bezos can be worth a trillion and not pay any taxes I don't feel too bad losing some dollars doing something that I find enjoyable and I don't believe me catching 50-60 coons is causing your opportunities to stay low, not with a few million in the store houses waiting yet today. For those not trapping now it may be good that you are learning not to as there may well be a long tunnel yet to go.
Bryce
Posted By: Boco

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 09:43 PM

Better to lose money on Trapping Hunting and Fishing than lose it on Hookers Booze and Gambling.
Maybe not as much fun but way healthier.

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
Better to lose money on Trapping Hunting and Fishing than lose it on Hookers Booze and Gambling.
Maybe not as much fun but way healthier.

A lose , lose prop.... not for me.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 10:16 PM

Regardless of the market I have beaver to catch. Skinning or ditching them is the question?
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 10:48 PM

Well I’ve got things to trap here whatever the prices are. I’ve blown money on way worse my whole life…like Husker games, fancy fishing crap, fast food, you name it.
At least trapping is fun.
Jim

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 11:06 PM

I eat em'.
And have fun catching a few.
Win, win
smile
Posted By: MattLA

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/06/22 11:48 PM

I have a 2004 F350 CCLB 6.0 Powerstroke with 260k, a 2016 F150 SuperCrew, 3.5L ecoboost, and a 1997 Toyota Avalon. It's really not a concern about overloading the energy grid, but if you consider the price to drive the electric truck cost .02 cents per mile vs my other vehicles which are right at .30 cents per mile(not the avalon). Just depending on how much you drive is what is the deciding factor if it's worth it to you or not honestly, I have hunted twice a day since the opener(20 days approx, 50 miles each trip), and I would have got crushed in fuel prices had I had to buy diesel or gas.

@20 Scout. I'm not sure if it's that drastic, but I do agree that I would think differently if I lived in NY still.

You guys who are arguing against holding onto the fur this year just baffle me. When is one year when the majority of trappers got together and held a majority of the fur? We are literally the only industry that doesn't engage in supply and demand and instead just have been marching blindly since 1980 in hopes that fur prices will go back up. I'm trapping full time this year again, but I am planning to try something different with half of the fur this year. The math just doesn't work out especially with high fuel costs for somebody to drive to pickup furs and then to resell them.

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/07/22 12:51 AM

I have a 2004 F350 CCLB 6.0 Powerstroke with 260k, a 2016 F150 SuperCrew, 3.5L ecoboost, and a 1997 Toyota Avalon. It's really not a concern about overloading the energy grid, but if you consider the price to drive the electric truck cost .02 cents per mile vs my other vehicles which are right at .30 cents per mile(not the avalon). Just depending on how much you drive is what is the deciding factor if it's worth it to you or not honestly, I have hunted twice a day since the opener(20 days approx, 50 miles each trip), and I would have got crushed in fuel prices had I had to buy diesel or gas.

@20 Scout. I'm not sure if it's that drastic, but I do agree that I would think differently if I lived in NY still.

You guys who are arguing against holding onto the fur this year just baffle me. When is one year when the majority of trappers got together and held a majority of the fur? We are literally the only industry that doesn't engage in supply and demand and instead just have been marching blindly since 1980 in hopes that fur prices will go back up. I'm trapping full time this year again, but I am planning to try something different with half of the fur this year. The math just doesn't work out especially with high fuel costs for somebody to drive to pickup furs and then to resell them.

LOL.....
Posted By: TheYouthTrapper

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/07/22 01:01 AM

I'm still trapping this year. I'll sell my fur no matter what as I have nowhere to store it for all the guys who are going to store it, good for you. I enjoy trapping and it gives me something to do.

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/07/22 01:13 AM

I agree that losing money trapping is a lot better than setting at home grumpy that I’m not out trapping. my wife says she doesn’t want to put up with my attitude in the winter when I’m not trapping.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/07/22 01:18 AM

I agree with Crowfoot. I will be trapping beaver this year, primarily for the meat....and I really enjoy doing it.

Moosetrot
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/07/22 01:38 AM

Alway loved trapping and discussions years ago I said I never did it for the money. I did not do it for the money. This year going to take my hill bow and mess around in the woods. Shoot a Turk or deer a doe I hope and stump shoot. Bird view and enjoy my days in the woods. There a shortage of everything to raise prices but not fur so that’s my plan. Around here beef is not fit to eat and a doe is definitely much better. When it pouring down rain in morn I just get up and watch bird feeder. Heck to get old but under these situations I at least got a plan. Good luck to you trappers. I been in all the years to present

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/07/22 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by mississippiposse
Alway loved trapping and discussions years ago I said I never did it for the money. I did not do it for the money. This year going to take my hill bow and mess around in the woods. Shoot a Turk or deer a doe I hope and stump shoot. Bird view and enjoy my days in the woods. There a shortage of everything to raise prices but not fur so that’s my plan. Around here beef is not fit to eat and a doe is definitely much better. When it pouring down rain in morn I just get up and watch bird feeder. Heck to get old but under these situations I at least got a plan. Good luck to you trappers. I been in all the years to present

Sounds blissful!
Posted By: loosanarrow

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/07/22 03:15 AM

A NO Brainer !

So Smaahten up..

I say go ahead and trap but I agree 100% with that statement. The bottom line is that those who wish to buy the fur must be willing to pay cost of production plus a reasonable wage to those who produce the fur. If they don’t pay what it costs plus a wage, they are taking advantage of those who are just trying to get out and have some adventure. So I guess I would say trap what you want/need for your own use, but do not sell at under cost of production - unless you are comfortable subsidizing the businesses that are making money using that fur as a feedstock for their products. They make money, you lose money. Maybe the hat maker is your buddy, or maybe you just want to subsidize any business that uses fur, everyone has their personal angle, but I do agree that the buyers need to pay cost of production plus a wage if they really expect to have a reliable supply chain for the fur. Trap away folks, but it is just “taking what they’re giving” to sell fur under production cost. I cant bring myself to do it. I can’t afford to do it.

Edit : I also think that the businesses who rely on fur as a feedstock need to be aware that without the producers of that fur earning a fair wage, numbers of trappers dwindle, trapping as a whole suffers, and we lose more battles. Ultimately it is a threat to their business and their income as well. hsus certainly understands that.

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/07/22 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by walleye101

Walleye, he wants a look at your shearable beaver with hopes of buying at hatter prices…don’t believe me? Take the to his truck and find out for yourself!

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/07/22 03:48 AM

Ok so I don’t understand folks that are giving these guys a hard time. They are one of the few left keeping a market going for you guys. And you are knocking them. If you don’t want to use them fine don’t. But please stop the negative. Mama use to tell me “if you don’t have something good to say keep your mouth shut you might just learn something.” I appreciate him coming on and giving us something to look forward to. For all the negative that is out there. He has the best information I’ve heard in a long time. Thank you Sir for the update.

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/07/22 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by ChiefT
Ok so I don’t understand folks that are giving these guys a hard time. They are one of the few left keeping a market going for you guys. And you are knocking them. If you don’t want to use them fine don’t. But please stop the negative. Mama use to tell me “if you don’t have something good to say keep your mouth shut you might just learn something.” I appreciate him coming on and giving us something to look forward to. For all the negative that is out there. He has the best information I’ve heard in a long time. Thank you Sir for the update.

You’ve never met Guy, have you.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/07/22 01:31 PM

I'm pretty sure groeny can survive making money off the byproduct of your fun or adc work just like he does off your deer hides.
Posted By: Joe1

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/07/22 02:17 PM

with the mississippi and and a lot of other rivers so low i wonder if trapping beaver is a good thing might be worth a lot more alive
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/07/22 02:23 PM

My take on fur prices. I am a real trapper. I don't trap for just the money side of it. I enjoy trapping.

Who is anyone to control our enjoyment or lives? Enjoy the time in the field
Posted By: Dragger

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/07/22 02:50 PM

Fur will be big in Europe next year. High heating costs will see to that.
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/07/22 03:20 PM

I think you missed my point. Buying a new truck for 60k did not save you anything on fuel. It cost you 60k. If you financed it is costing you a good bit more

If the cost difference per mile is 28 cents, you would have to drive your new truck 2,142,857 miles to make it pay for itself. See how it doesn't add up??

Now if you sold all of your other vehicles to buy this it would be a different story, then you would be saving. But adding it to your fleet and claiming it is saving you money? I think not
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/07/22 03:35 PM

Don't have an electric truck or a fleet of trucks but i will still trap Looking back on the last 50 years I trapped a lot of low dollar fur
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/07/22 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt
I'm pretty sure groeny can survive making money off the byproduct of your fun or adc work just like he does off your deer hides.

Simple solution: Don't sell to him if you don't want to.

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/08/22 02:21 AM

Groeny has several other enterprises that can keep their firm operating. Not moving fur consumes a lot of capital but then being able to buy at lower end prices makes holding fur less costly to a point and for a certain time frame.
Sometimes fur can be sold at a loss to lower profits in other business sectors, but most businesses don't like selling at a loss if they can avoid doing so.

Fur is one of the few unregulted commodities in the USA and when we have long periods of low returns many don't like what capitalism does. Some of our major markets happen to be markets where governments have much to say about how businesses function or operate. Most of us do not agree with how China deals with COVID but then there is almost nothing we can do about their policies and neither can most of their buyers and brokers.

Bryce
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: Get ready to trap- Fur Market 22-23 - 10/08/22 02:39 AM

China will have to open up here pretty soon or they will be replaced. Many companies are looking at different countries to manufacture in, India and Viet Nam to name a couple.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums