Home

Crab apples

Posted By: AJE

Crab apples - 10/13/22 01:23 AM

My co-worker has a crab apple tree in their front yard and they put up a trail camera on it. They've been getting several deer in every night. It makes me think I should consider planting a crab apple tree(s) on my hunting grounds.
Posted By: 160user

Re: Crab apples - 10/13/22 01:30 AM

I have around 300 apples of various kinds on my 80 acres. The little ornamental crabs are favorites for the grouse but ALL the wildlife benefit from them. Marten even have a sweet tooth and enjoy them. There were probably 200 Robins in the crabs by the house today. I try to plant at least a dozen new trees every year and I am getting "volunteers" from the squirrels packing them away.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Crab apples - 10/13/22 01:37 AM

Don't overlook pears. Dad's got photos of deer, raccoons, groundhogs, turkey, opossums, fox and coyotes eating pears.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Crab apples - 10/13/22 05:12 AM

Don't plant Callery Pears, they spread like crazy!
Posted By: warrior

Re: Crab apples - 10/13/22 05:27 AM

Only birds eat those and are how they spread. A real nasty invasive weed.

The eating pears are the ones deer like.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Crab apples - 10/13/22 09:00 AM

yes crap apples are great for wildlife
Posted By: Squash

Re: Crab apples - 10/13/22 11:28 AM

I have 6 Dolgo Crab apple trees , the fruit is 1 1/2” - 2” and the deer love them. Also they were just whips when I planted them and started bearing fruit after about 4 years.
Posted By: Animals Only

Re: Crab apples - 10/13/22 05:15 PM

I have a crab apple in front of my blind. Does fawns and small bucks hit it all day long. I planted a dozen of the apples recently. Hopefully they grow next spring. My tree produces every other year real heavy.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Crab apples - 10/13/22 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by 160user
I have around 300 apples of various kinds on my 80 acres. The little ornamental crabs are favorites for the grouse but ALL the wildlife benefit from them. Marten even have a sweet tooth and enjoy them. There were probably 200 Robins in the crabs by the house today. I try to plant at least a dozen new trees every year and I am getting "volunteers" from the squirrels packing them away.

That's Awesome

Re: Crab apples - 11/23/22 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Animals Only
I have a crab apple in front of my blind. Does fawns and small bucks hit it all day long. I planted a dozen of the apples recently. Hopefully they grow next spring. My tree produces every other year real heavy.

I'll try to find a couple that deer like and get them ordered for my hunting ground
Posted By: MattLA

Re: Crab apples - 11/23/22 05:30 AM

Try to get the variety of crab apple that is native to your state. For you guys that have a bunch, if they have been there forever, you should make sure to get seeds. There is an Apple group going around trying to find the older apple varieties from the 1800s. One of the times they went to this one off, regarded as not likely because of how far away from everything it was. This farm also had clear cutted a bunch of stuff, well they went and wouldnt you know ole farmer saved that apple tree, some super rare variety they were able to get seeds from. Just cool thinking about it.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Crab apples - 11/23/22 07:49 AM

I have both wild apple sized apples and wild crabapple sized apple trees on my farm. The squirrels and deer get most of them because they grow on slippery steep slopes, in thick brush. The different trees produce fruit that varies widely by tree. Most of the fruit is tart and dry and ranges from green to yellow when ripe. On most of the trees, the fruit is ripe sometime between the middle of July and thevmiddle of August.

I had one wild tree I liked the fruit on better, that had yellow apples with around 50% of the apple tinted red. The fruit would ripen around the middle of July. Unfortunately, it blew over. I was hoping it would throw some suckers, that would grow up, but it didnt.

Next year I plan on adding the tart wild apples to cider, if I can harvest them okay.

Keith
Posted By: WMU3A

Re: Crab apples - 11/23/22 01:59 PM

Dolgos are the easiest to grow and they do it quickly and are cheap, buy the 5-7' size fence them no fert the first year then every year thereafter...better fence them or deer will browse the new growth off. Crabs pollinate most every variety of apple tree. I plant a half dozen mixed varieties every year among my wild apple trees so they produce Sept. until January. Keiffer pears are the best in northern climates for deer, little fungus or rust quick growers BUT PLANT THEM ONLY IN THE FALL OR VERY EARLY IN SPRING!...Yeah I have an orchard that produces fruit for the market
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Crab apples - 11/23/22 02:04 PM

I have several flowering crabs in my yard and the wild turkeys but the dozens are eating on them every day, crapping all over everything and just being a general nuisance.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Crab apples - 11/23/22 02:49 PM

I saved crab seeds this year....I tried sprouting some in the fridge between damp paper towels.no sprouting

Re: Crab apples - 11/24/22 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
I saved crab seeds this year....I tried sprouting some in the fridge between damp paper towels.no sprouting

Couldn't you just plant them in the ground?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums