Home

Fur primeness?

Posted By: Norwestalta

Fur primeness? - 10/15/22 01:45 PM

With trapping season fast approaching we are in the warmest October on record. We've only had 2 frosts so far and the temps have been averaging 20 deg C during the day. My question is what is more instrumental in bringing fur into prime? The temperature or changes in daylight ?
Posted By: Gulo

Re: Fur primeness? - 10/15/22 01:49 PM

Changing photoperiod is what brings on molt cycles. Not temperature.

Jack
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: Fur primeness? - 10/15/22 01:51 PM

Daylight is #1 factor. Or lack there of.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Fur primeness? - 10/15/22 02:12 PM

Yep, daylight. Makes ducks and geese move south, and ignites the cycles in animals to prepare for shorter days and colder nights. Temps have little to do with fur primeness. Shorter days and daylight drive everything.
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Fur primeness? - 10/15/22 02:15 PM

As said, daylight controls primness. But dry conditions can lead to fur wear earlier than normal.
Posted By: Norwestalta

Re: Fur primeness? - 10/15/22 02:19 PM

Thanks fellas
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Fur primeness? - 10/15/22 02:42 PM

Daylight then health. Got an animal that was sickly or females that have a litter in the late summer/fall might never prime up.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Fur primeness? - 10/15/22 02:55 PM

The amount of UV light that enters the eye ( or eyes) of an animal triggers fur growth. After that, who knows what controls the rate of growth to prime?
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Fur primeness? - 10/15/22 03:34 PM

As stated daylight is the basxe but the color of the light or the UV has to be the big driver because many of the fur bearers are nocternal and or live in dens, lodges etc. during most of the lighted hours. When the fur ranchers use lighting to trigger changes in their animals I don't know for sure if they are doing day length and color or both. I know a few that have discontinued the artifical light methods s I don't know how well they worked.
Also don't know if the further north a species lives makes the daylight factor more intense or not. There is more minutes of daylight lost or gained per day the further one travels north.

Bryce
© 2024 Trapperman Forums