Home

Nonresident trapping in MN?

Posted By: Steven 49er

Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/16/22 10:45 PM

Some people as why am I so passionate about it?

Welp in a dozen more years these two fine young boys will not be able to meaningfully be able to go along with me, ie help out and actually set a trap because their mother and father live across an arbitrary line. They will be able to hunt whatever i can hunt, fish whatever i can fish but not set a trap.

Just wanted to say thank you to all my fellow men that are in part responsible for this.

Attached picture 1148.jpeg
Attached picture 9460.jpeg
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/16/22 10:54 PM

Good post! I have no desire to trap in Mn, but I'm as ticked as you that my kid can't if he ever decides he wants to.
Posted By: patfundine

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/17/22 12:13 AM

Move them in with you for 183 days. Then buy them a resident lifetime license, and they are good to go.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/17/22 12:17 AM

Can my kid live with you for 183 days too Steven?

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/17/22 12:21 AM

Why not Jamie.

It isn't any less ridiculous .
Posted By: DHH

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/17/22 12:37 AM

I'm with you 49er
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/17/22 12:44 AM

That just gave trapperles the vapors.

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/17/22 12:49 AM

Hey now, trapper les is one of my idols
Posted By: dustytinner

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/17/22 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by DHH
I'm with you 49er

X2
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/17/22 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by dustytinner
Originally Posted by DHH
I'm with you 49er

X2

X3
Posted By: Kelly

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/17/22 01:24 AM

Absolutely correct, Steven. SORRY!
Posted By: 160user

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/17/22 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~

Send them up here. It is almost firewood season.
Posted By: stinkypete

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/17/22 01:37 AM

X4 Steven 49er.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/17/22 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by patfundine
Move them in with you for 183 days. Then buy them a resident lifetime license, and they are good to go.

I was looking today and I don't think there is a lifetime trapping liscense any longer I may have missed it

Do you really want non residents here chasing 10 dollar beaver to flood the hatter market? The horror!
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/17/22 02:03 AM

I too am with you on this 49er as I would love to trap out of state but since MN doesn't allow NR to trap in MN then they won't let us trap in their state as well. It's an out dated law that needs to be changed!
Posted By: Michigander

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/17/22 02:07 AM

We have slightly more favorable non-res laws here in Michigan, but not much. Non-residents can't trap bobcat, marten, fisher, badger or otter. The beaver season starts 3 weeks later for non-residents. These dumb laws restrict residents that want to travel and trap other states that have reciprocity laws in effect. Even on the rare high fur price years I can't see enough non-residents travelling to trap to have any real effect on fur bearer populations. All these laws are just rooted in jealousy and selfishness in my opinion.
Posted By: nimzy

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/17/22 02:09 AM

Amen 49er. I’d be breaking trucks hauling them chisel tooth’s down them old woods roads. Let us at em!

That would be the perfect excuse for an early retirement 😃
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/17/22 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by 160user
Originally Posted by ~ADC~

Send them up here. It is almost firewood season.

slave labour camp mmmmmmmmmmmm
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/17/22 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by bucksnbears

nah, We need nonresident trapping in MN...so I can enjoy resciprosity with other states....take a close look at the annual average nonresident trapping licenses sold in WI since they started to allow it for reciiprocal states...no danger that I can see.

Mainly...northeastern Mn trappers fear Wisconsin trappers coming over and anihilating "their" beaver, lol.....or is it about stopping Iowa trappers from harvesting coon in the south ? who knows ? laugh

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/17/22 04:20 AM

Well then ...we're all on board

whistle

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/17/22 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor

I was looking today and I don't think there is a lifetime trapping liscense any longer I may have missed it

Donnner, there was never a stand alone lifetime trapping license per se. It's included as a freebie with the lifetime small games license.

Les, I've trapped beaver in the NW Angle and muskrats as far south as Albert Lea. Met people from there to everywhere in between, I've been to a district meeting in every district in this state, I'm here to say unequivocally say I haven't met more than a handful of trappers south of 94 who are against NR trapping. I suppose they are there, I can not meet everyone.
Posted By: blackhammer

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/17/22 06:24 AM

Good posts Steve . I don’t think there is many in the southern part of state who don’t think it’s a good idea.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/17/22 07:46 AM

We are assuming there will be any form of fur trapping in this state in 12 years. If I had to bet one way or the other, I'd bet against it.

Donnersurvivor. I believe the liftetime trapping license is still a part of the lifetime Sports license.

I think the NR trapping boat sailed the day the DNR asked the MTA if they would support it and they said NO.

Now I'd just be happy if this wave of city/township ordinances banning all trapping within their jurisdictions would stop.
Posted By: run

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/17/22 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by trapper les
Originally Posted by bucksnbears

nah, We need nonresident trapping in MN...so I can enjoy resciprosity with other states....take a close look at the annual average nonresident trapping licenses sold in WI since they started to allow it for reciiprocal states...no danger that I can see.

Mainly...northeastern Mn trappers fear Wisconsin trappers coming over and anihilating "their" beaver, lol.....or is it about stopping Iowa trappers from harvesting coon in the south ? who knows ? laugh

Definitely the coon in the south.

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/17/22 11:51 AM

Definitely not.

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/17/22 11:55 AM

Calvin of course I expect we will be trapping in 12 years.

If I didn't, I'd move already.
Posted By: Northernbeaver

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/17/22 12:29 PM

Count me in as another on board for NR trapping. Sure wish I could bring my wife's young cousins from WI, that like to trap, out on the trapline for a week to see some fur caught. They can come over and shoot their limit of grouse and catch a limit of pike but heaven forbid they set a trap for a beaver.

I live on the state border and I run my trapline up to the border but can't cross it and set traps due to reciprocity.

A lot of the reasons I hear for being against it is fear of some NRs coming up north and catching a whopping 2 marten and killing some beaver. Meanwhile there's several of us from the southern half of the state that do the same thing. Not sure how it's any different.
The other one is some Wisconsinites might come trap some bobcats, meanwhile there's hound hunters from WI coming over and taking their limits year after year.

One time I was trapping beaver underice and while driving down the forest road I ran into two well respected trappers in the community, they then told me to get out of their woods because they didn't want me near their bobcats. Good grief.

Now why is it exactly that a wildlife operator from Minnesota can't trap nuisance animals in WI but a wildlife operator from Wisconsin can trap nuisance animals in MN?
Posted By: Boco

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/17/22 12:46 PM

Its probably about what some trappers see as ownership of their local resource.

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/17/22 01:14 PM

Fear and Jealousy
= Greed

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/17/22 01:17 PM

So now what do we do together this changed back to the way it should be? I joined MTA just for this reason but seem to find opposition within the ranks. Even one of out offices says it's opposed in the capital and will never get changed.
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/17/22 01:18 PM

I don't see non-resident trapping as any threat to the resource around here. While I don't plan to go to another state to trap, I would like my two out of state sons and grandson to be able to come here and assist me when I do trap. I actually did have a chance to trap in WI when a woman there told me she wished someone would take care of her beaver....true story. I had a hard time keeping a straight face when I told her I was not allowed.

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/17/22 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by 20scout
So now what do we do together this changed back to the way it should be? I joined MTA just for this reason but seem to find opposition within the ranks. Even one of out offices says it's opposed in the capital and will never get changed.

It is not opposed in the capitol, it is opposed in the MTA.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/17/22 03:35 PM

I agree as well 9er…. Open things up.

Osky
Posted By: ceelmo.trap

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/17/22 03:51 PM

Its just plain time to give the OK to NR trapping, its time to pull our heads outta there and get this done,this balking has gone on too long,

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/17/22 09:19 PM

So again I post the question, what or who do we need to contact to get this change or at least get the ball rolling in the right direction? There is mo money to be made in fur trapping now days and probably won't be for some time so what is the threat in having NR trapping re-enstated?

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/17/22 09:48 PM

Contact the MTA president and your director to express your opinion.
Attend your next district meeting and make a motion to have a vote on the matter. If it passes the director in theory will bring it to the next board meeting.

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/18/22 12:13 AM

Thought there was a big push a couple years back by some trappers to allow non resident trapping?
If I remember right nothing came of it.
Must be a lot of trappers against it but wont admit it so as not to get browbeat down by the loud minority.
Thats the only logical explanation.If the vast majority wanted it it would be done long time ago.

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/18/22 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Northernbeaver
Attend your next district meeting and make a motion to have a vote on the matter. If it passes the director in theory will bring it to the next board meeting.

I think that dead horse was beaten already. As I remember the voting happened again and again and again until it was passed...... And nothing ever happened.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/18/22 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Thought there was a big push a couple years back by some trappers to allow non resident trapping?
If I remember right nothing came of it.
Must be a lot of trappers against it but wont admit it so as not to get browbeat down by the loud minority.

It was a lawsuit. Guaranteed winner. blush

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/18/22 12:50 AM

People's attitudes change Pat, I've said it more than once, when the boomers are dead, the following generations won't feel the same. Well except for a few holdouts that don't like any type of competition.

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/18/22 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by MnMan
I don't see non-resident trapping as any threat to the resource around here. While I don't plan to go to another state to trap, I would like my two out of state sons and grandson to be able to come here and assist me when I do trap. I actually did have a chance to trap in WI when a woman there told me she wished someone would take care of her beaver....true story. I had a hard time keeping a straight face when I told her I was not allowed.

You are a better man than I am. I would have played that far differently.

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/18/22 01:10 AM

Stay with it. Rule changes can be strenuous. After 10+ years of trying Wisconsin finally gave us a few extra weeks to harvest muskrats at the seasons end. Not perfect but much better.

Looking back, we initially met a bit of resistance. As one persist opinions change and support is gained. Good luck.

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/18/22 01:41 AM

Thank you Chris.
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/18/22 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by 160user

You are a better man than I am. I would have played that far differently.

Well, my girlfriend was there as well as the lady's son in law and his wife and the lady's husband was standing right next to her so my getting a huge grin was noticed by all, so I thought discretion at that point was in order.

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/18/22 01:54 AM

I would like my two out of state sons and grandson to be able to come here and assist me when I do trap. .

Well Doug, I suppose you could let them move in with your for 183 days so they can get a lifetime license.
Posted By: BanditBuster

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/18/22 02:02 AM

It's ridiculous that we don't allow non resident trapping. I'd love to go trap at my brother's house in Western ND or go to SD for rats but can't. My brother isn't allowed to trap beaver at our cabin in Northern MN. In my opinion it hurts us far worse than anyone else!
Posted By: JAMIE-S.

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/18/22 02:26 AM

I agree 100% Steve! It does not make any sense at all.

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/18/22 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by Northernbeaver

I think that dead horse was beaten already. As I remember the voting happened again and again and again until it was passed...... And nothing ever happened.

So it was passed in 2011 at Redwood Falls and the MTA leadership did nothing about it.

Legislation was brought forward in early 2018 by another trapping organization formed solely over progressing this issue and the legislation was moving forward until the MTA leadership came forward and said no, we don't support that. Sounds like the MTA membership, and leadership needs a refresher.

Like Steve said, when the last few old school Forest Zone guys kick the bucket, it's moving forward.

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/18/22 03:10 AM

So it was passed in 2011 at Redwood Falls and the MTA leadership did nothing about it.

Legislation was brought forward in early 2018 by another trapping organization formed solely over progressing this issue and the legislation was moving forward until the MTA leadership came forward and said no, we don't support that. Sounds like the MTA membership, and leadership needs a refresher.

Like Steve said, when the last few old school Forest Zone guys kick the bucket, it's moving forward.
[/quote]

It was more recent than 2011. We voted at a winter meeting in Askov and the results were given that night at the LDF. I remember because I was a asked to vote and didn't. I was poo pooed on all day about not voting until I told the few people that if I had my vote would have been a NO. I had my reasons for a NO vote and still do, but I decided that not voting was better for the whole group. My opinion will always be NO, but I will not put it on paper in a vote. I don't like the way the Minnesota trappers are split into groups, and we could get so much more done if we would unite, but that will never happen.
Posted By: Seek

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/18/22 04:38 AM

Care to share your reasons why?

I think it’s the most absurd rule ever. I can’t go home to western ND to trap because of this situation. There’s a dozen ways to negotiate this if it came to that; quotas/limits on days, etc. Not that I want more rules restricting trapping.
Posted By: TheYouthTrapper

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/18/22 04:46 AM

As a neighbor of Minnesota, I totally agree. I would love to meet Minnesota trappers while out on my line and I would love to go to MN to trap. We have a lot of muskrats that cause damage to the roads and there are not enough trappers to control it, the amount of MN trappers would help bring that number down to a manageable amount.

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/18/22 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by BanditBuster
It's ridiculous that we don't allow non resident trapping. I'd love to go trap at my brother's house in Western ND or go to SD for rats but can't. My brother isn't allowed to trap beaver at our cabin in Northern MN. In my opinion it hurts us far worse than anyone else!

I agree entirely, I can't see any reason why someone from MN can't even help on a trapline. The only thing they can do is sit in the truck or on the bank and watch the resident trapper do everything.
Posted By: Line Jumper

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/18/22 11:08 AM

When I was a MN resident I was a fence rider, I couldn’t understand why people wanted more competition. I trapped around Fergus Falls and had a lot of competition and theft, and a guy that would put rocks underneath your pan. I was mainly a mink trapper but set for all water critters, I trapped mostly Right of Ways with a few private land stops. I have been called a fat Subaru driving lazy road trapper on this sight but sorry folks to run a successful mink line you need to put on a lot of miles on and be efficient. Now with no mink market or fur market I could care less about non resident trapping and would vote yes if still a resident.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/18/22 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by TheYouthTrapper
As a neighbor of Minnesota, I totally agree. I would love to meet Minnesota trappers while out on my line and I would love to go to MN to trap. We have a lot of muskrats that cause damage to the roads and there are not enough trappers to control it, the amount of MN trappers would help bring that number down to a manageable amount.

Was a time when we did meet in SD...and a lot of people/trappers really benefited from those meetings. Too bad it was only one way at the time.

In short, the road workers who fix those roads, business owners loved us. A few trappers got butt hurt so went crying to Mommy and had the rules changed. Been said before, but we trappers are our own worst enemy (and why we don't have NR trapping in MN today and SD now has a very restrictive NR season).

Hope you have a great rat season, Youth Trapper. Sounds like you have some to work with.
Posted By: BobMo

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/18/22 12:56 PM

There are members in leadership within the MTA that would see trapping outlawed before they allow nr trapping.
Steven, Gene Purdy shared with me his desire to trap with his grandchildren before he died. He could not of course because they lived in Minnesota and he in Iowa. When he along with other leaders in the FTA voted to support our efforts to get NR trapping here I promised him I would do my best along with others to make that happen. We fell short and he never realized his wish to trap with them. I hope he ignored the law and trapped with them. I'd advise to you to do the same.

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/18/22 03:49 PM

It’s only becomes hopeless when the last one retreats. Change the law.

It’s sad that an entitlement attitude could drive a wedge between fellow trappers. Quite narrow minded if you consider that NRs are just the proverbial, red herring. Now more so then ever.
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/18/22 06:30 PM

I believe non residents should be allowed to trap in any state with the same license fee as a resident.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/18/22 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Fisher Man
I believe non residents should be allowed to trap in any state with the same license fee as a resident.

Yup!

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/18/22 11:27 PM

Some people look at it like-"why buy the cow when you can milk it thru the fence"If you want to trap here-move here"attitude.

Then there is the opposite attitude for the mexicans-"sure,come here and work,but you cant live here"

Funny aint it?
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/18/22 11:37 PM

I wouldn’t mind being able to trap in Minnesota…well actually I get to catch Minnesota wolves legally right where I’m at, so why bother lol.

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/18/22 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
I wouldn’t mind being able to trap in Minnesota…well actually I get to catch Minnesota wolves legally right where I’m at, so why bother lol.

You can have all the wolves you want.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/19/22 12:09 AM

I feel the fact that we have states with no NR trapping allowed and all sorts of restrictions on the number NRs can catch or what species the NRs can't trap and the varying things from region to region even within states is a very good and constant reminder for us all that we tend to look to our capitals and the federal government and politicians as being evil, narrow minded, not in touch etc. etc. while in reality there is a lot of local non party politics that is all of those things and many times more. Keeping situations like that helps remind me that we far more interested in our self interests than we would like to believe.

Bryce

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/19/22 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park

You can have all the wolves you want.

I bet I could get a large group of people together and we can try to make a drive to you!

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/19/22 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by BobMo
There are members in leadership within the MTA that would see trapping outlawed before they allow nr trapping.
Steven, Gene Purdy shared with me his desire to trap with his grandchildren before he died. He could not of course because they lived in Minnesota and he in Iowa. When he along with other leaders in the FTA voted to support our efforts to get NR trapping here I promised him I would do my best along with others to make that happen. We fell short and he never realized his wish to trap with them. I hope he ignored the law and trapped with them. I'd advise to you to do the same.

Bob, I had spoke with Gene several times before he passed. It' so unfortunate he wasn't able to meaningfully go along with them or they with him . You know me Bob, I suppose I'll figure something out.

JP, I can ship you some wolves as long as you let them live with you for 183 days.

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/19/22 01:31 AM

I bet I could get a large group of people together and we can try to make a drive to you![/quote]

no point cause the day they open the Minn deer season the wolves are all running north with their tails between their legs...as they hit JP snares.
Reminds me of the southern Sundown Manitoba trapper that went to check his snares...and there was 2 FWS guys standing 12 feet away across the line 49 th.
Seems that one of the wolves had a GPS collar that showed no movement.......
seems those wolves were sold in the round to a buyer.....and the collar was tracked down

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/19/22 01:34 AM

49 er ,,,,,,Would those wolves make good room mates for JP's goats ?
What happens when they see his profile of holding up a pizza box for his cooking skills

Re: Nonresident trapping in MN? - 10/19/22 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Calvin

Was a time when we did meet in SD...and a lot of people/trappers really benefited from those meetings. Too bad it was only one way at the time.

In short, the road workers who fix those roads, business owners loved us. A few trappers got butt hurt so went crying to Mommy and had the rules changed. Been said before, but we trappers are our own worst enemy (and why we don't have NR trapping in MN today and SD now has a very restrictive NR season).

Hope you have a great rat season, Youth Trapper. Sounds like you have some to work with.

Hope you have a good rat season too, even if you don't have very many. I have enough to keep me busy this whole season at least and a few beavers added to the list.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums