Home

Some cowboy stuff

Posted By: Yes sir

Some cowboy stuff - 10/17/22 10:30 PM

For ur viewing pleasure from today. Gathered about 225 pairs today [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/17/22 10:35 PM

I think I have been there. smile
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/17/22 10:35 PM

Well those look like some of the most well-behaved cattle I've ever seen! LOL
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/17/22 10:37 PM

Nice to still see herefords. Most everybody has black cows now.

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/17/22 10:42 PM

Yes sir Bob you've laid steel on a lot of the country I seen today.

Yukon after a few miles those cows start acting like milk cows headed to the parlor. Some of the older ones would probably make the trip home by themselves if we let them. They know the way.

Gary a little white face on them still makes for good momma cows
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/17/22 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Yukon John

That's what happens when your cattle see you on horseback every day or at most every week while they are out on grass and not just once a year.

Cool pics!
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/17/22 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Leftlane

That's what happens when your cattle see you on horseback every day or at most every week while they are out on grass and not just once a year.

Cool pics!

Lol
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/17/22 11:09 PM

Cool pics!

This is no exageration
We ran into some cows on a ranch in south Texas tht I am pretty sure we were the first 2 legged creatures they had seen. They were wilder than the deer laugh
Posted By: Savell

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/17/22 11:40 PM

Looks like a good day
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/17/22 11:53 PM

Great pics!

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/18/22 12:39 AM

BTLowry some of the best rodeo's start with a man who handles cattle of a 4 wheeler for a solid year and then calls in a couple guys on horseback! Live action
Posted By: Boone Liane

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/18/22 01:52 AM

That sorrel looks like he’s put together pretty well.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/18/22 02:31 AM

Not sure why so many give up herfords, maybe he eye cancers they seem to get, but they aren’t near as cantankerous as most black cowsI’ve been around. Some of those blacks won’t let a stranger on the place, get crazy and run through fences! I ask the landowner about his cows when asking permission, as I don’t want to get in one of those situations and be asked to leave. The guy I headquartered on in SD had red angus, and they were great to trap around. Hard to believe color can make so much difference! grin
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/18/22 04:00 AM

Right on, lots of ranchers shipping here.
Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/18/22 04:05 AM

That horse is a hand, ain't he.... cool

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/18/22 12:27 PM

Magic, the sorrel in the pic is the best horse I've owned. He's fast, is super broke and will cut a cow.
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/18/22 01:25 PM

BTLowry some of the best rodeo's start with a man who handles cattle of a 4 wheeler for a solid year and then calls in a couple guys on horseback! Lice action

I'm a four wheeler guy and a couple of times a year the neighbors help out with their horses. I'm still on the four wheeler. You're spot on with your comments.

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/18/22 02:18 PM

Thanks BC, you must be right we agree on more than one thing LOL.

Sharron, I'm purdy sure Yes Sir's sister taught him everything he knows and her BFF the barrel racer provides him with solid horse buying advice. If you don't believe me ask him what he thinks of barrel horses for doctoring in the pastures!
cool
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/18/22 02:21 PM

Nothing like being on a horse riding the range.

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/18/22 02:34 PM

I have reserved myself to existing in the shadow of my sis and miss Heidi even on Trapperman grin
Posted By: cathryn

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/18/22 02:41 PM

Beautiful pics..and alot of hard work.

Do you have any cattle dogs?

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/18/22 02:46 PM

Catherine
I had a border collie named Molly for about 13 yrs. Lost her about a year and a half ago and haven't brought myself to getting another dog since. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: cathryn

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/18/22 03:00 PM

She's looks like she'd be hard to replace.
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/18/22 03:07 PM

I can see from the pictures that spending the day on horseback rounding up cattle is certainly work But it is the kind of work that leaves you with the satisfaction that an honest day's work for an honest days pay is still a good day Thank for sharing the view.

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/18/22 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by w side rd 151
I can see from the pictures that spending the day on horseback rounding up cattle is certainly work But it is the kind of work that leaves you with the satisfaction that an honest day's work for an honest days pay is still a good day Thank for sharing the view.
Yeah I really enjoy working out in nature and working with animals
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/18/22 04:23 PM

Grew up working the farm and had a hand in it my whole life until a few years ago. Couldn't have imagine having a 9 to 5 rat race in a building job.
Ride a tractor here.
Working with and on your horse is something all together different than I've done. I know how long days on the farm can be.
My hats off to you Yes sir. Your way of life is slowly fading in some areas. The hard work and dedication you give to your job is commendable. Nice pictures

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/18/22 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
Not sure why so many give up herfords, maybe he eye cancers they seem to get, but they aren’t near as cantankerous as most black cowsI’ve been around. Some of those blacks won’t let a stranger on the place, get crazy and run through fences! I ask the landowner about his cows when asking permission, as I don’t want to get in one of those situations and be asked to leave. The guy I headquartered on in SD had red angus, and they were great to trap around. Hard to believe color can make so much difference! grin

I've heard that flies don't bother the black cows as bad.........and there's the big deal about Angus beef now, which doesn't even have to be angus breed to identify as angus beef.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/18/22 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
Originally Posted by w side rd 151
Yeah I really enjoy working out in nature and working with animals

When you ride most all day, and string several days together doing the same, I have appreciated a saddle that the fenders swing and don't cause the knees to hurt , after some hours.

My form fitter Hamley had well swinging fenders, but still could have used even better give . Every so often I would just ride without stirrups, stretching out my legs and giving my knees a break.

Then I discovered Aussie saddles, and I've been hooked ever since. Mine, being a cross-breed of western and the original Aussie Poly, the best of both worlds, and I now can ride all day with no knee pain. There's lots of options, even including horns if someone wants that feature. I didn't , where I ride the chance of hanging up with it on a tree bough, or poking me when I'm jumping, are all things that happen, and I don't rope.

I always think of gear, and what an accomplishment when you finally find the perfect saddle that has everything you need to be comfortable and serve its purpose well.

Very pretty colours on the doggie, BTW.
Posted By: Cedar Hacker

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/18/22 08:35 PM

Thanks for posting Yes. You are lucky to be living a life that is fading away.
Too many "drug store" cowboys these days that don't know what they missed out on.

When I was first married, on working days, I would get up at 3 in the morning and milk the cow while wife cooked me a breakfast of steak and eggs, then ride 7 miles to a line shack and drink a cup of coffee with the hand that lived there and then we would ride another 8 miles to a foreman's house, more coffee and then hit the pasture at daylight. After working all day it was still that 15 miles back to my house. It could be a little tuff on the butt at times.

Here's an old photo taken on the Sherman Ranch in Kansas in 1902 ( before my time )

[Linked Image]
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/18/22 10:04 PM

[Linked Image]

Wine Cup/ Gamble ranch in Nevada they are still out there just not by most roads.

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/19/22 12:56 AM

Good pics guys. CH that picture and story reminds me of times I never saw but heard all about. I'm guessing you slept good every night after them days.

Escapees from the Diamante II ranch outside of Bulverde TX
[Linked Image]

JC Livestock Co / Crowther Ranch HQ'd in Roxbury Ks
(Checkin the health of waterin holes was a task I took very seriously LOL)
[Linked Image]

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/19/22 01:24 AM

Cedar
That's a good story and good pic. The cowboys and horses were much tougher in those days. Some people complain about a 30 minute round trip to work in a car. On a horse would be another thing altogether.

NV
That's a cool pic and what I'd call a real cowboy outfit.

Lefty
People talk about paid time off and health care benefits as there side benefits of their job but ranch work definitely has its perks too and " checkin the water holes" is definitely one of them!
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/19/22 02:02 AM

Yes Sir and all that find this way of life and the history behind it i encourage you to look into the Vaquero dvd movies. Great hisrory leason

https://www.amazon.com/Vaquero-DVD-Over-Hours-Total/dp/B018OLX3E6

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/19/22 02:28 AM

... I apologize in advance Lefty

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/19/22 02:32 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/19/22 02:35 AM

LMAO

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/19/22 03:39 AM

Oh brother. Don't you have some blues to catch or a copper mouthed rattle cobra to stomp?

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/19/22 03:57 AM

.... lol

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/19/22 10:42 AM

Ouch man. That was cold.

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/19/22 12:37 PM

I do kinda miss it. Never was much for doing cow work off a wheeler.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/19/22 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Nice to still see herefords. Most everybody has black cows now.

Those aren't Herefords a cross with them maybe...Nice beeves

But Black Cows matter too! grin

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/19/22 03:22 PM

I'd take ur gear off ur hands Boone if ur hanging it up for good. Lol

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/19/22 03:53 PM

Around here cowboys ride a 4 wheeler and baseball cap on the ranch, and cowboy hat and spurs when they go to town. laugh

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/19/22 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Around here cowboys ride a 4 wheeler and baseball cap on the ranch, and cowboy hat and spurs when they go to town. laugh

There's still some horse outfits in the Sandhills

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/19/22 04:23 PM

Yes sir, there's still a few.

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/19/22 11:27 PM

Yes Sir I have forgotten the name of the ol boy who used to own the Long Branch in Canton but he had a big rocky pasture leased over by Cedar Point. He had a set of big seminal cows and run a maine anjou herd sire (prolly closer to 3000 pounds than he was to 2000). Anyway he cubed them out of a pickup all year but somehow conned Flint and I into helping him catch them on horse back which meant spillin them out onto the road and then trailin them a couple miles to a catch pen. Man those things could jump.

Wow, we decided if he ever ask again we would each slam a finger in the door and run our horses down a gravel road missing a shoe. It would have hurt less and we'd have all healed up quicker LOL.

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/19/22 11:30 PM

In hindsight that guy was a Richard. His best lookin bartender hung a Polaroid of Mike Esquibel and I playing 9 ball on colts after 30 days of feedyard detail and he took it down as soon as he saw it.

No sense of humor at all!
whistle
Posted By: Longbeard12

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/19/22 11:35 PM

I am jealous!! Looks awesome!!

Re: Some cowboy stuff - 10/19/22 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
I'd take ur gear off ur hands Boone if ur hanging it up for good. Lol

Randy Travis said never sell your saddle!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums