Home

Another dog thread.with a twist.

Posted By: cathryn

Another dog thread.with a twist. - 10/18/22 02:24 PM

What's the name of that one dog that you've had..that has passed on..that was truly your best friend...one you still miss to this day?

I'll start...I've had many dogs I've loved but

Charlie was my lifelong friend......my mom and dad got him when I was 1. He lived until I was 18.
He was the best friend I ever had.
I still miss him everyday.
He looked exactly like lassie.
We had alot of adventures together.
He died a couple weeks before I left for college.
I think he felt his job was done..looking out for me..and he could go on to..what I hope is a dogs heaven..because if ever a dog deserved to go..it was him.

Just writing this brought tears to my eyes.
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: Another dog thread.with a twist. - 10/18/22 02:32 PM

Abby, yellow lab I had growing up. She went everywhere with me as a kid. We would go play in the creek, go fishing, she was always with me

I didn't know how to train a dog then. She was bad to chase a deer.

One day she came up to the house and could barely walk. She had been shot by a deer rifle in her back end. She laid down in the garage in her spot and died. Miss that dog every day, dad still won't tell me to this day who shot her, but he figured it out
Posted By: Kevin Colpetzer

Re: Another dog thread.with a twist. - 10/18/22 02:34 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Another dog thread.with a twist. - 10/18/22 02:34 PM

Mat, looked like a black lab with basset legs. Miss him dearly!

Re: Another dog thread.with a twist. - 10/18/22 02:59 PM

Im Sorry coondagger2
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Another dog thread.with a twist. - 10/18/22 03:00 PM

Jackie , a Jack Russell Terrier.

Had her trained to ride on the motorcycle with me.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Another dog thread.with a twist. - 10/18/22 03:08 PM

dogs are better to have around than most people.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Another dog thread.with a twist. - 10/18/22 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Marty
dogs are better to have around than most people.

X2
Posted By: Tom Fisher

Re: Another dog thread.with a twist. - 10/18/22 03:15 PM

Pancho was my last Airedale for 10 years rode with me figured out what we were doing and would add a lot of animals and fun . Trying to pick one out of over 50 years of Airedales, can't do it they are all special, I have a new dog 10 months old and her given name is Suzzy, should of named her Berzerk, she is borderline insane! She gives an old man something to look forward to everyday!
Posted By: newtoga

Re: Another dog thread.with a twist. - 10/18/22 03:16 PM

Abby, also
Chessapeek bay retriever. The toughest dog I ever owned.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Another dog thread.with a twist. - 10/18/22 03:23 PM

Citizen was a beagle. I got her when I was 14. For 3 years She wouldn't ball on trail a d would only wag her tail and follow the track 50 to 100 yards and come back. You may stop and she would run into the back of your boots yet she was MY dog and I took her every time. We mostly jump shot anyway. Especially since my dog was useless running rabbits. Then one day she cut loose balling her head off and got plumb out of hearing range. I was getting pretty worried when I faintly heard her coming back. That was the first of many rabbits she ran for me always running them tell they were dead or went in a hole.. I shot a squirrel out of a tree by her then she started treeing squirrel or at least folling and balling in their track. She would not bay on the tree like a coon dog but I always knew when to look in the tree by the way she followed the track.

We lived with my inlaws for 5 months when the house we were renting went up for sale and while closing on our first house. I was working on getting the pens built at our new house and had not brought her home from the inlaws yet. We were down to one vehicle and I was surprised about 10 am when I saw my wife drive up to the bridge I was building after dropping me off for work 45min from home that morning.(we didn't have $for cell phones back then). She drove back just to tell me as soon as she found out. My dog had got out of the pen at her mom's and was running a rabbit when she followed the track across the gravel road on the curve and got hit and killed. Amazing that about 10 cars went down that road a day but one happend to at the time my dog was in the road. It was also the first time she had ever got out. I should have brought her home with me right away but my wife was pregnant/ just had our first child and I was occupied getting the new house ready and in order.

She was MY first dog and really ment a lot to me.
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: Another dog thread.with a twist. - 10/18/22 03:23 PM

Golden Retriever Yukon died way too early 7 yo with a weird cancer! 60 years we have had dogs but she was special and we talk about her often!
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Another dog thread.with a twist. - 10/18/22 03:33 PM

"Lucky" was a black and white spaniel mix who I grew up with. When I was five we would head off to the big woods behind our farm. It was there that Lucky taught me how to swim. He swam across the creek and barked at me to follow so I just imitated what he did and swam on across. My folks were amazed some months later when at a family picnic at a lake I took off dog paddling. Asked me where I learned that and I told 'em "Lucky taught me how"!

One time we were about four miles away from the farm on a country road and an old gentleman that was a neighbor asked if I would like a ride back home. When he opens up the door of his truck Lucky jumped right in and insisted on sitting between us...to keep me safe.

He was the best.
Posted By: WendellR

Re: Another dog thread.with a twist. - 10/18/22 06:48 PM

"Kimber"....She was a plott hound. my hunting/trapping dog, companion, and best friend.
Posted By: gcs

Re: Another dog thread.with a twist. - 10/18/22 06:59 PM

Jezzie, aka super dog, lol
Female Border Collie we adopted after it was running wild for months. She could do it all, blood trail, coon tracking, she absolutely hated coons, eliminated all woodchucks, could swim like an otter and went with me every day on the boat....even kept the horses behaved.

She made it to over 20 years old, a miracle for that breed, miss her every day.
Posted By: Pasadena

Re: Another dog thread.with a twist. - 10/18/22 07:39 PM

Abby here as well, Golden Retriever. Died 6 days shy of her 14th birthday in 2016. Still the screen saver on my phone. I have two more Goldens now and my youngest female is a real close second to Abby. I believe Sam may be a bit of Abby reincarnated. She has the best traits I believe of Abby who I never got to take bird hunting but would’ve been great at it, but Abby wasn’t a real lovey dog, where Sam is a good bird dog and a real lover who loves to cuddle up to ya. My other Golden, Sadie is a lover but is deathly afraid of loud noises, so that’s where Sam has the good traits of them all.
Posted By: Brian Mongeau

Re: Another dog thread.with a twist. - 10/18/22 07:39 PM

Phoenix was my black lab. Great dog in the house and field. Kids grew up with her. She was my baby. Been gone now for about 19 years and miss her dearly.
My son's chocolate lab Remi, is rocking on my lap as I type. She will break my heart someday too.
Posted By: rex123

Re: Another dog thread.with a twist. - 10/18/22 08:15 PM

Duchess a white German Shepard . That was the smartest dog I ever saw. God I miss that dog, best friend to.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Another dog thread.with a twist. - 10/18/22 10:12 PM

It's so hard to pick just one. I guess my first dog, Elsa. I got her when I was about 6 I think, and she lived until I was 19. She was a yellow lab, mixed maybe, but she looked and acted all lab. She spent every minute with me my entire childhood unless I was in school. Then she would be laying in the driveway waiting on my bus when I got home. She was gun shy, but loved me so much she would go with me even when I had a gun. If I shot, she would streak off about a hundred yards away until eventually she would get up the nerve to come back, lol. We trapped, hunted, fished, camped, and swam in the creek together.
When she died, I build a wooden coffin and wood-burned her name into it that same night. The next day, with the help of my father and grandfather, we buried her in the middle of the woods, in the middle of January, in New York. It took 6 hours with shovels and pickaxes to do that.

If I could have a second choice, it would be the dog in my profile pic, who we just called Red Puppy. Sweetest dog I've ever owned. She ran off one day and never came home when she was only about 3 years old. Not sure if she got shot, or coyotes got her, or what.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Another dog thread.with a twist. - 10/18/22 10:22 PM

These post's always get me all choked up, and you just HAD to post that rainbow meme didn't you. I have 10 Beagles under the grass out back and 2 running around on top. Each and everyone was special to me. My POS drunken old man was mean to all of us, but my dog got special attention One day I came home from school and Mom had surrendered him to the Humane Society. Understand now, but not then.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Another dog thread.with a twist. - 10/18/22 10:40 PM

Out of all my dogs Shadow was everybody's favorite. He was a huge black lab, 110 pounds and none of it fat. But he was a gentle giant, everybody loved him, he was very intelligent and very loving.

Shadow was actually my youngest daughters dog, we got him for her when she was eight or nine years old. Other than a year when she lived out of state and took Shadow with her, he lived in my house. I hunted, trapped and fished with him and my daughter.

He died at thirteen several years ago, I still miss him a bunch.

Handsome Shadow

[Linked Image]

Shadow the clown.

[Linked Image]

Shadow the warrior.

[Linked Image]

Shadow the trapping partner.

[Linked Image]

Me and Shadow taking a break from pheasant hunting.

[Linked Image]

Re: Another dog thread.with a twist. - 10/19/22 05:49 PM

Thanks everyone. I enjoyed reading your posts and my heart aches for all of you because I know firsthand the deep pain of losing fogs that you love like family.

God Bless all yall
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: Another dog thread.with a twist. - 10/19/22 07:11 PM

Rusty was the best friend I ever had. I loved him and I know he loved me too.
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Another dog thread.with a twist. - 10/19/22 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by cathryn
Thanks everyone. I enjoyed reading your posts and my heart aches for all of you because I know firsthand the deep pain of losing fogs that you love like family.

God Bless all yall

So do I, really hate such posts but can’t not look, every time I loose a good dog I swear it will be the last one and will never get another, but life without a dog in it is an empty thing, in the short time they are with us they give so much and ask nothing but a rub or occasional petting or just to lay next to us for a bit
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: Another dog thread.with a twist. - 10/19/22 08:21 PM

Remi(Remington) was the best dog I’ve ever had. 1/2 border collie and 1/2 red healer. She had the brains of the border collie but was less sensitive. I swear that dog spoke English and new what I wanted from her. I miss her dailly, unfortunately she got run over and I’ll never understand why she crossed the road like that she never never did that I had educated her that was bad from the time she was a pup. Would ride on anything with me but the lawnmower, and would get on it if I told her to
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: Another dog thread.with a twist. - 10/19/22 08:48 PM

Wish I could find another English Setter , like my Grandfather had. He bought him in 1949 , for $200.00 . Don't know what that works out in today's money. But, from what I heard, he was the big , old blocky style of English Setter. He could really hunt the Pheasants!

Here he is, at the age of 17 years old.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Another dog thread.with a twist. - 10/19/22 09:43 PM

I could post, but with my hands it would take a while. I was not like those who posted, I was raised a dog was a tool to accomplish putting food on the table.
Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

Re: Another dog thread.with a twist. - 10/19/22 09:45 PM

Pugsley a Boston Terrier
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Another dog thread.with a twist. - 10/19/22 10:59 PM

Just remember that pet names are one of the most common password recovery questions, so use something else for a security question, if you share the names anywhere on line.

Keith
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Another dog thread.with a twist. - 10/19/22 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Catch22
I could post, but with my hands it would take a while. I was not like those who posted, I was raised a dog was a tool to accomplish putting food on the table.

I like a dog that has a job and is useful. But the two I have now well my German shepherds job is a watch dog and let's us know when anyone is around the house she sees everything. No on will come in thw house unless we tell her they are ok. She is getting old, moves stiffly, and is getting tumors popping up now. She won't get more than 80 yards from the house any more.
. Our border collie is the most spoiled family dog. I have no idea what I will do with my wife when her dog dies. She is a useless dog . She won't bark unless the German shepherd does first, she was never trained to herd I wis she/we were. She is the most jealous dog I have ever seen. Better not try to pet another dog or even a cat or she will try to slid between you or get in the other animals face.

A dogs purpose I have learned can be a companion only and that's ok. I still prefer a dog with a job for a companion.
If I ever get a job where I'm at home every day and not traveling I will get a new pup that's mine. But I'm not sure what for yet. I only have a few quail but love German shorthand pointers. I like rabbit hunting but don't have enough area to go and I hunt deer most of rabbit season. Plus beagles just are not what I'm looking for for a dule purpose companion. A deer tracking dog would be nice but we don't have trouble finding our deer.
Maybe a Schutzhund / IPO training dog seems fun but a lot of work for me to learn.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Another dog thread.with a twist. - 10/19/22 11:50 PM

All my dogs have been working dogs (hunters). All have also been great companions and part of the household.
Posted By: Pelts

Re: Another dog thread.with a twist. - 10/19/22 11:54 PM

[Linked Image]

This was Sammy my St. Bernard, and as an adult his weight was 219 pounds. I couldn't have asked for a better friend for the 13 years we shared together.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Another dog thread.with a twist. - 10/20/22 12:53 AM

Have had labs since a young kid. All (good) dogs
My last and "final" was Roscoe.
I could never expect another dog to be even close to him.
Truly incredible in every way.
Love n miss ya buddy. frown
[Linked Image]

Dang, now I'm tearing up.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Another dog thread.with a twist. - 10/20/22 02:32 AM

Just can’t…I will say his passing had my entire family, neighbors, and his life long vet in tears when we had to put him down. My only question to God is “Why can’t our pets live as long as we do?”
Posted By: chamookman

Re: Another dog thread.with a twist. - 10/20/22 08:50 AM

Had a English Setter Female, was Blessed to have Her for a bit over 13 years. She was a Grouse/Woodcock Hunting Machine and Truck/Quad riding Partner. Think of Her often - RIP Izzy !
Posted By: Wife

Re: Another dog thread.with a twist. - 10/20/22 11:51 AM

June
Fin
Stormy
Amy
Dixie
Smidge
Sport
and now Cindy were all the best of the 150+ hunting dogs I have owned. None were house dogs but became close companions on the hunt. Owned and hunted with many of their littermates. In these last 50 years I've owned Labs, Goldens, G. Shorthairs, Britts, Fox-Airedale-Irish-Border and German (Yak) terriers, along with a ton of hounds and a fistful of rescue mixed breeds. A hunt never goes by w/o me thinking of one of these special 8 in a similar situation. Cannot pick just one.............................. the mike
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: Another dog thread.with a twist. - 10/20/22 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
All my dogs have been working dogs (hunters). All have also been great companions and part of the household.

Same here. I think you get a better hunting dog when it is your friend. Not just rode hard and put up wet in the kennel
© 2024 Trapperman Forums