Home

How much money do you

Posted By: cathryn

How much money do you - 10/18/22 07:30 PM

Have to make a year to live what... you consider to be comfortably?
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: How much money do you - 10/18/22 07:32 PM

I’m a wife moocher by trade, so I don’t have to make much to live the dream!
Posted By: Catch22

Re: How much money do you - 10/18/22 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by DelawareRob
I’m a wife moocher by trade, so I don’t have to make much to live the dream!

grin grin
Posted By: Flicker Shad

Re: How much money do you - 10/18/22 07:39 PM

That's subjective. If one isn't materialistic, not as much as one may think.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: How much money do you - 10/18/22 07:45 PM

I am a happy guy if covering the bills and taxes and a few hundred a month for fun

lately the grocery , utility and fuel bill is eating all the fun money
Posted By: DaveP

Re: How much money do you - 10/18/22 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by run
$40,000.

Yup

Re: How much money do you - 10/18/22 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
I am a happy guy if covering the bills and taxes and a few hundred a month for fun

You ain’t lying. I can’t seem to leave a grocery store without dropping a few hundred and another $100 at the gas station.

Re: How much money do you - 10/18/22 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Flicker Shad
That's subjective. If one isn't materialistic, not as much as one may think.

Actual cash to cover bills
Posted By: Catch22

Re: How much money do you - 10/18/22 07:51 PM

I make all I need longlining chipmunks. I used to make coats and hats. But this year the unisex dyed speedos are selling like hotcakes. grin grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: run

Re: How much money do you - 10/18/22 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Catch22
I make all I need longlining chipmunks. I used to make coats and hats. But this year the unisex dyed speedos are selling like hotcakes. grin grin

[Linked Image]

You win!
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: How much money do you - 10/18/22 08:24 PM

Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: How much money do you - 10/18/22 08:24 PM

$36,782.27

Re: How much money do you - 10/18/22 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
$36,782.27

That is a very specific number there Hobbie.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: How much money do you - 10/18/22 08:36 PM

Re: How much money do you - 10/18/22 08:36 PM

LOL. Another win for Hobbies trapper!
Posted By: gcs

Re: How much money do you - 10/18/22 08:46 PM

Depends where you live, "here," a lot more then you'd think...
Posted By: Wild_WI

Re: How much money do you - 10/18/22 08:49 PM

150K I've got a pile of youngins
Posted By: atrapper

Re: How much money do you - 10/18/22 08:54 PM

^ Depends if you're raising kids....and how many.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: How much money do you - 10/18/22 08:58 PM

If I can pay my bills and have enough left ovah for some Bread flour.Ammo,and some smelt for ice fishing..I'm good

Re: How much money do you - 10/18/22 09:06 PM

Cathryn.....you got today off ? You seem to be
bored and posting alot.

No towels to fold
Toilets to scrub
Dusting
Push the vacuum around
Dishes to do
Window to wash
Floors to scrub
Laundry to do
Wash the bed linen
And pillow cases
Do some poop scooping in the yard
Posted By: Boco

Re: How much money do you - 10/18/22 09:32 PM

$12,000 a year is plenty to maintain what I do/got.
I have zero debt.Havent had any debt since 08.
Posted By: Dillrod

Re: How much money do you - 10/18/22 09:35 PM

Always figured entire budget Plus 30% was good enough to me.
Seemed like I was comfortable with life if I could bank a third of my check.
Posted By: trappingthomas

Re: How much money do you - 10/18/22 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Boco

Boco with you on the debt being zero. Also, we rent out our farm land so after taxes we net about a positive $12,000. But it is all the oddball stuff that costs us money. How much do you guess you spend fishing? Assuming you are not a guide who gets paid. I figure hunting and trapping hits me for a few thousand a year. Or are we just talking living expenses?
Posted By: Cragar

Re: How much money do you - 10/18/22 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by gcs

X2
Posted By: Flicker Shad

Re: How much money do you - 10/18/22 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
If I can pay my bills and have enough left ovah for some Bread flour.Ammo,and some smelt for ice fishing..I'm good

And gas for the goat!!

Re: How much money do you - 10/18/22 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by trappingthomas

Boco with you on the debt being zero. Also, we rent out our farm land so after taxes we net about a positive $12,000. But it is all the oddball stuff that costs us money. How much do you guess you spend fishing? Assuming you are not a guide who gets paid. I figure hunting and trapping hits me for a few thousand a year. Or are we just talking living expenses?

Well I dont fish much anymore but most of my life I could cast a line from home to the river,lol.Right now I could walk about half a mile down to the falls and catch pike sturgeon and pickerel below the falls.
Same with meat hunting.
Trapping can be further out or not depending on which of the grounds I am trapping,one trapline starts pretty close to home. I fish and hunt at the cabins also.Doesnt really cost anything it is just the lifestyle of most everyone here.

What I spend money on is town taxes,heat hydro,phone,tv,internet,insurance,and various licences, grocery store food,Gas for the vehicles and toys and just wasting money on "stuff".All my hobbies make money so I dont even consider tanning and fur sewing work,I just do it when I feel like it.Even when I go on holidays I wind up coming back with more money than I left with since I usually hit a pow wow or two when travelling and sell tons of fur.

Re: How much money do you - 10/18/22 10:40 PM

Cathryn.....you got today off ? You seem to be
bored and posting alot.

No towels to fold
Toilets to scrub
Dusting
Push the vacuum around
Dishes to do
Window to wash
Floors to scrub
Laundry to do
Wash the bed linen
And pillow cases
Do some poop scooping in the yard

Pick up aluminum cans beside the road, that's what I learned from Cathryn for better or worse.

Re: How much money do you - 10/18/22 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Flicker Shad

And gas for the goat!!

Forgot about that...lol
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: How much money do you - 10/18/22 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

I'm comfortable on this. I could get by on much less but like putting monthly deposits in the kids brokerage accounts, paying for my daughter's tuition, and not having to worry if I have cash in the bank when things break and need replaced. Like new tires on the wife's van two weeks ago, and $400 plumbing parts to fix a leak between the house and meter yesterday.
Posted By: Chancey

Re: How much money do you - 10/18/22 11:55 PM

Need 6 figures to live if you got youngins, truck payments, payroll, and a mortgage these days. Make anything less than six figures, then you are not middle class. You are poor.
Thank you Federal Government and Central Banks.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: How much money do you - 10/18/22 11:56 PM

I don't know if I admire those of you with very low expenses or that I am glad I am not in that standard of living bracket. With federal, state, sales tax and charitable donations we are well over half of the 40K many of you state and we have not covered any living costs.

Bryce

Re: How much money do you - 10/19/22 12:06 AM

Nessie...I had alot on my mind today. Lol

Run..i got 5 contractor garbage bags of 3m today..today from some people qho drink alot of beer and give me their cans...
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: How much money do you - 10/19/22 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

I'm comfortable on this. I could get by on much less but like putting monthly deposits in the kids brokerage accounts, paying for my daughter's tuition, and not having to worry if I have cash in the bank when things break and need replaced. Like new tires on the wife's van two weeks ago, and $400 plumbing parts to fix a leak between the house and meter yesterday.

Well I answered the question...but right now we make little more than 40K. While we raised our 4 kids we made Over 140K until my Stroke and my Wife's Directors job along with 400 others being eliminated when her company she worked for sold. We learned what Life throwing us a curve ball was.

We paid for 3 Daughter s weddings and helped with our Son's Wedding before our downsizing.
Posted By: Marty

Re: How much money do you - 10/19/22 12:20 AM

25k. live small.

Re: How much money do you - 10/19/22 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by bblwi
I don't know if I admire those of you with very low expenses or that I am glad I am not in that standard of living bracket. With federal, state, sales tax and charitable donations we are well over half of the 40K many of you state and we have not covered any living costs.

Bryce

I’m not sure if having low expenses is the same as standard of living. Everyone has a different cost of living, my family’s income would have a person eating like a king in some areas, and living in a shack in others. It is all subjective really.

40k in some areas is a dream, 40k in others, will barely pay the school and property tax.

Re: How much money do you - 10/19/22 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by cathryn
Nessie...I had alot on my mind today. Lol

Run..i got 5 contractor garbage bags of 3m today..today from some people qho drink alot of beer and give me their cans...

Pretty good stuff.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: How much money do you - 10/19/22 12:24 AM

That’s the truth
Posted By: greenhead

Re: How much money do you - 10/19/22 12:27 AM

100000 now so when I retire in 6 years im done working as everything is paid off mortgage vehicles toys and i have no debt now so when I retire ill do whatever I want to do.

Re: How much money do you - 10/19/22 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by greenhead
100000 now so when I retire in 6 years im done working as everything is paid off mortgage vehicles toys and i have no debt now so when I retire ill do whatever I want to do.

No debt is where it is at! I was there, but built a new house, so will have a mortgage for a bit until we pay that off in 10-15 years. Right around the time I retire.

Re: How much money do you - 10/19/22 12:29 AM

Boco..it's 20000 for us.

Our biggest expenses are propane and.car insurance.

Before Jerry met me and bought my homeplace..he could have made it easily on 10000

We have 2 homes..3 hrs apart and all the bills associated with them that are paid.

We make almost half that on ramps in that 4 to 6 week window.

The more we sell the less we have to come up with somewhere else.

Jerry takes 6000.00 for trapping out of his fur money and the rest of that goes into a savings account or a cd.

He's workng..partime.as he wants..so he can go trapping.

He's gonna be working 3 days a week when he comes back..but that goes into the checking account cause something always seems to come up.

Fuel is a huge expense for us...

Not just for trapping but just in general
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: How much money do you - 10/19/22 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by DelawareRob

You ain’t lying. I can’t seem to leave a grocery store without dropping a few hundred and another $100 at the gas station.

running about 325-350 a week in groceries and gas is about another hundred.

with $$$ in groceries like that you would think I was eating steak all the time but Still feeding 4 of us sometimes 5 and that grocery bill includes personal care items like soap , toothpaste , shampoo and cleaning stuff.

last steaks I bought that weren't in the discount meat cooler the stuff that is freeze or use same day was new years nearly all our beef is Salvage cow butchered 2 this year

but bills paid , gas for the boat , bullets for the guns and time to hunt fish and trap and maybe take the wife out to a concert or two a year

Re: How much money do you - 10/19/22 12:35 AM

Exactly Pete, we don’t buy eggs and most of the meat we eat. It’s nonsense at this point. I don’t know how the folks who are trying to make ends meet living paycheck to pay check do it! The ones not getting free food stamps that is.

Re: How much money do you - 10/19/22 05:46 PM

Yall are right..it depends on how may are in your family and how many frills you need to be happy.
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: How much money do you - 10/19/22 05:50 PM

I am closing on land next Monday, getting married next October, breaking ground on a house around January (hopefully)

I could spend as much money as you would give me at this stage in life, lol
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: How much money do you - 10/19/22 05:57 PM

Me and the Mrs don't need much money at all. Just enough to pay the bills. We eat a lot of the land and don't live a "frilly" lifestyle. We've never had a lot so we're use to making do by ourselves. As far as entertainment, we got that covered too wink
Posted By: Lufkin Trapper

Re: How much money do you - 10/19/22 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by gcs

Speaking of depends----has anyone priced those lately>
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: How much money do you - 10/19/22 06:42 PM

I could get by with way less, but I like my toy's.
Yes traps too lol.
When debt free probably $20-25,000

Re: How much money do you - 10/19/22 06:53 PM

It mainly depends on where you live.
Where I am I can enjoy my lifestyle with all the toys and it costs very little to do so.
Fancy restaurants and big stores require a half hour or an hour travel,but the money I save living in a small town way more than covers trips out of town for that stuff.
Dont even have a Tim Hortons here,but I drive a half hour once a week for a Timmies.One of My traplines is half way,so not too far out of the way when I travel to that line.
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: How much money do you - 10/19/22 07:25 PM

I would guess with where we are in life right now it would be about 75k, which is more than I make but so far the farm is making up the difference and paying the farms bills. Before we bought the farm we were 100 percent debt free and my 45-50k income kept us living comfortably
Posted By: atrapper

Re: How much money do you - 10/19/22 07:29 PM

I'd say there are many factors....kids, where you live, what stage of life you're in, and your standard of living. There's not a set number. At this point in life, I've got to be making more than any other point in life because I'm raising kids, driving to and from work each day, investing a lot into 403B's, 529's, HSA's, etc. in preparation to retire earlier in life. As I near closer to retirement or during retirement, I won't need much. And what I do need will be coming my way in the form of pension, 403B investments and maybe, just maybe Social Security.
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: How much money do you - 10/20/22 01:27 AM

Cathryn, since I'm a former, and hopefully future, martentrapper, I'm curious about Jerrys marten trips. Since this thread is about income I'm asking about income from marten trapping. I'm sure you'll use MYOB where necessary. With expenses of 3 bucks a gal. for gas, the cost of the trip to Wy. And back, food, misc. etc. etc. and then the sale price of his fur, marten and other species, can you provide a ballpark figure of his expected profit.
I just happen to have a bunch of plastic milk jugs I will be putting to work in a similar fashion thanks to your pics!

Re: How much money do you - 10/21/22 12:23 AM

He figures on clearing 2,000 to 3000 after expenses..

Possible 4000 if his catch picks up

It usually a little more but since he's not working out there anymore he can't defer the fuel cost out and back so that's adding about 700.00 in extra expenses this year that he usually doesnt have.

That's including all fur he's caught..not just the marten.

He's trapping all species..

I'm just mostly posting marten pics.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: How much money do you - 10/21/22 12:54 AM

Yall are right..it depends on how may are in your family and how many frills you need to be happy.

I like lots of frills, guess I need lots of money. Plan on retiring when I can bring home about $80K a year until I die or turn 99…depends on what comes first.
Everything will be paid off and the house like I like it before I turn 60. I’ll even have me a NEW truck. Still driving a 2000 model. I like my out of State and even Country turkey trips and the wife likes her cruises, already been roped into one next Christmas, lol. I don’t plan to stop living just because I retire one day.
I like my life. I like buying something when I want it. I work hard for my money and even trap so I don’t touch my hard earned money. I like flying first class when I fly. I don’t mind paying for expensive guns, traps, fishing rods and reels, food, or fun because it lasts longer than cheap crap.
I live in a modest house and we drive modest vehicles so we and our kids can enjoy a fun filled life and not have to worry about gas prices or anything else when inflation gets sky high.
Think if most would just live within their means they could do a lot more. I’ve always been the type of you want something you work and save for it. What I’ve found is when you save and keep cash on hand it’s a lot harder to part with it, so you keep saving and keep adding more cash. Cash is good to have, lol.
Posted By: VaBeagler

Re: How much money do you - 10/21/22 04:09 AM

You will get a different answer between my wife and I. Everything we have is paid for. I don't need anything that I already don't have. My wife orders so much stuff from Amazon that the UPS driver is partioning for a stop light at the end of our driveway.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: How much money do you - 10/21/22 08:45 AM

I know as a pastor of those who deal with grave situations towards the end of their lives, that the economy and people's lifestyles have led to a massive endemic of impoverished older Americans who can't afford most things they wish for at the end of their lives. And it's ramping up in this direction exponentially. I have a lady right now, whom I'm supporting whose in hospice care, who worked at the big 3 auto plants (so did her deceased husband), and who retired 18 years ago, who now can't afford much of anything at all. Sad.

I'm sitting among people like this more and more it seems.

I don't know how much annual income it takes to live in a comfortable manner because comfortable is a generic term.
I have come to realize that how we value money speaks the loudest.
Some make a little and have a lot.
Some make a lot and have very little.

And that includes money.

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: How much money do you - 10/21/22 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mark June

I know as a pastor of those who deal with grave situations towards the end of their lives, that the economy and people's lifestyles have led to a massive endemic of impoverished older Americans who can't afford most things they wish for at the end of their lives. And it's ramping up in this direction exponentially. I have a lady right now, whom I'm supporting whose in hospice care, who worked at the big 3 auto plants (so did her deceased husband), and who retired 18 years ago, who now can't afford much of anything at all. Sad.

I'm sitting among people like this more and more it seems.

I don't know how much annual income it takes to live in a comfortable manner because comfortable is a generic term.
I have come to realize that how we value money speaks the loudest.
Some make a little and have a lot.
Some make a lot and have very little.

And that includes money.

Blessings,
Mark

Mark, I had a profound moment a couple days ago. Let me paint this picture as I know your're familiar with my area now. When coming into West Branch, you pass the car dealers and St.Vincent DePaul thrift store. Well I go to St. Vinnies several times a year for old blankets and coats for our barn cats to bed in at the Mill. I had to wait in checkout for a while, thrift store was crazy busy. While picking through the "Dog blanket pile" an older couple were also picking through the pile. Except they were not getting old blankets for dogs or cats, they were for themselves. Said if those blankets were good enough for dogs they were good enough for them. Blankets were $1.00 each, I filled my cart, paid. I then left $50.00 with cashier with intent to pay for old couples cart full of second hand stuff, any extra $$$ were to be given to old couple as change. Still, I have never seen a second hand thrift store so busy.....I made the connection in my head, and mumbled my best attempt at prayer for better times for all those folks, as I headed back to the Mill with my cat bedding.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: How much money do you - 10/21/22 10:01 AM

Ever had somebody who works for the same wages you do ask to borrow money? Often its the inability to manage the money we do have rather than insufficient income. I have a married relative with credit card trouble. Credit counseling has not helped much. They can not commit to step one which is stop spending.

Re: How much money do you - 10/21/22 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
Ever had somebody who works for the same wages you do ask to borrow money? Often its the inability to manage the money we do have rather than insufficient income. I have a married relative with credit card trouble. Credit counseling has not helped much. They can not commit to step one which is stop spending.

lol

Re: How much money do you - 10/21/22 10:07 AM

Good post Feedinggrounds. And well played, your humble assistance for the widows, orphans, and aliens among us.
As we all go about our days, there are indeed many people who aren't able to provide for themselves in ways we might consider "comfortable."

Have some made poor choices along the trail? Who hasn't.
Have some made some good choices along the trail? Who doesn't?

I'll comment that when it comes to the end of our trail, I've noticed most people think differently about the things that truly matter. Not everyone, but most do.
Now, the people around them are typically doing the things they typically do.
People who are straight up - are straighter up. People who are quiet - get more quiet. People who are louder - get loudest.
Quite fascinating, the things I learn, as I observe.
We'll all be there one day and until then...
slip a $50 at the St. Vinnie's or buy a vet a meal, or say hi when the person next to you a crab butthead.

You'll end your life with others around you, not as vultures, but as caring people who love you. Till the end.

It's not how you start, it's how you finish, right?

Blessings,
Mark

Re: How much money do you - 10/21/22 10:16 AM

with inflation the way it is, how do you pick a minimum income number? if you live another 20-30 years after retiring it is IMO impossible to predict how much will be needed.

Re: How much money do you - 10/21/22 10:19 AM

Late 70,s early eighties we had inflation like this. Once it slowed down stories about old people eating pet food were common.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: How much money do you - 10/21/22 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mark June
Good post Feedinggrounds. And well played, your humble assistance for the widows, orphans, and aliens among us.
As we all go about our days, there are indeed many people who aren't able to provide for themselves in ways we might consider "comfortable."

Have some made poor choices along the trail? Who hasn't.
Have some made some good choices along the trail? Who doesn't?

I'll comment that when it comes to the end of our trail, I've noticed most people think differently about the things that truly matter. Not everyone, but most do.
Now, the people around them are typically doing the things they typically do.
People who are straight up - are straighter up. People who are quiet - get more quiet. People who are louder - get loudest.
Quite fascinating, the things I learn, as I observe.
We'll all be there one day and until then...
slip a $50 at the St. Vinnie's or buy a vet a meal, or say hi when the person next to you a crab butthead.

You'll end your life with others around you, not as vultures, but as caring people who love you. Till the end.

It's not how you start, it's how you finish, right?

Blessings,
Mark

Amen

Re: How much money do you - 10/21/22 10:29 AM

If you plan to draw $40,000 a year, which is low by American "comfort" standards, because the mean income in 2020 was north of $67,000...
you'll need $1,000,000 in savings.

You want $60,000...
You'll need 1.5M.

These numbers leave > 95% of Americans curbside.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: How much money do you - 10/21/22 10:34 AM

Mark I'm interested to hear any replies to your figures. Most can not grasp the power of inflation and how it erodes purchasing power.

Re: How much money do you - 10/21/22 10:36 AM

Comfort is given to me by the LORD, inflation has little affect on that.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: How much money do you - 10/21/22 10:40 AM

I'm glad for you.

Re: How much money do you - 10/21/22 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Steven 49er
Mark I'm interested to hear any replies to your figures. Most can not grasp the power of inflation and how it erodes purchasing power.

True. And most people try to catch the wind during their last years, months, or... days.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: How much money do you - 10/21/22 04:06 PM

The typical retiree lives on roughly 75-80% of what the made while workilng. We typcally spend more than we think we do unless we do not have the means to do so. Sure in retirement many costs are now gone but there are many costs that escalate that retirees need every day or month, such as food, utiliites, HC, insurance, fuel etc. which are driven by inflation or an economy that needs to raise wages to attract employees, so yes savings are a huge factor in the retirement planning. Many resolve this by part time work as the vast majority of retirees or near retirees have not saved enough to live even at 70% of their working income. I am not living nearly as lean as I could be but then by planning for the future starting when I was 27 years old has made that possible. We can actually live better than we did while I worked. My wife and two children always were always teasing or upset that dad was a frugal tightwad. I smile today when they remind me of that character defect i have.

Bryce
Posted By: Dirt

Re: How much money do you - 10/21/22 04:47 PM

I think Bryce recommends semi-retirement to deal with inflation. Plenty of work out there at inflated wages.

Re: How much money do you - 10/21/22 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt
I think Bryce recommends semi-retirement to deal with inflation. Plenty of work out there at inflated wages.

Work is over rated especially with so much free money available from the Gov't.
People nowadays steep themselves in the Bohemian lifestyle.
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: How much money do you - 10/21/22 04:56 PM

My goal is to learn to be happy to have the things I need instead of being unhappy because don't have the things I want There are far too many people in society today that are unhappy because they are trying to impress people they don't even like
© 2024 Trapperman Forums