Home

Stump eradication

Posted By: AJE

Stump eradication - 10/20/22 11:28 PM

Do many of you use a product, perhaps something like this, to get rid of stumps?:

https://www.acehardware.com/departm...JucGiqk2UUaAnL1EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Posted By: keets

Re: Stump eradication - 10/20/22 11:46 PM

doesn't work as well as you'd want it to....if you really want stumps out, rent a backhoe
Posted By: Flicker Shad

Re: Stump eradication - 10/21/22 12:57 AM

Burn em out. Cut the bottom. Out of a 55 gallon drum. Set the drum over the stump. Throw fire wood and other combustibles in and keep feeding it. The stump will be gone.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Stump eradication - 10/21/22 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Flicker Shad
Burn em out. Cut the bottom. Out of a 55 gallon drum. Set the drum over the stump. Throw fire wood and other combustibles in and keep feeding it. The stump will be gone.

If you don't have the equipment to remove the stump, burning works really well. It's also good at preventing suckers from forming.

Keith
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: Stump eradication - 10/21/22 01:42 AM

Dynamite is always fun.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Stump eradication - 10/21/22 01:55 AM

I call a guy to grind out stumps for me. Very reasonable, he does the work, and no machine to maintain.
Posted By: Chancey

Re: Stump eradication - 10/21/22 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by KeithC
Originally Posted by Flicker Shad

If you don't have the equipment to remove the stump, burning works really well. It's also good at preventing suckers from forming.

Keith

That^^^ is a great idea I have never even thought of. Thanks!
Posted By: Seek

Re: Stump eradication - 10/21/22 03:40 AM

Get a couple bags of cheap charcoal and it will burn it to below the ground surface.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Stump eradication - 10/21/22 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Chancey
Originally Posted by KeithC

Keith

That^^^ is a great idea I have never even thought of. Thanks!

Until that root that runs thirty foot under your shed smolders underground just to pop up a hotspot in your shed.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Stump eradication - 10/21/22 05:52 AM

^^^^
I am very careful with camp fires in Washington because of this very thing. A root can very easily burn underground for days, weeks, or even months, igniting a forest fire way after you'd think the campfire is long dead.

Especially where the root runs through deep duff, or dried peet type of soil. Mineral soil is not so much of a problem.
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Stump eradication - 10/21/22 06:13 AM

Its a funny thing, After a fire burns through spruce forest it was always fun (but frowned upon) when us firefighters would push over standing trees that the roots had burned away from under them. I am not sure if they were green before they burned, but I think so. Didnt take much to topple them and get the domino effect going. Often times just leaning on them, and when the wind picked up run for the clearings. lol

Of course we spent alot time digging up burning roots some go deep.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Stump eradication - 10/21/22 08:40 AM

I have seen peatbog fires burn for a few weeks, causing several acres to drop in grade a foot or so. Wisps of smoke rising from hollow stumps.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Stump eradication - 10/21/22 09:14 AM

Bomey pile fires burn longest. I win grin

A stump grinder is the way if fast is wanted.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Stump eradication - 10/21/22 09:22 AM

The old formula with Potassium Nitrate is a good ingrediant for making your own traditional black powder for the smoke pole.
Posted By: Flicker Shad

Re: Stump eradication - 10/21/22 09:26 AM

Well, how bout when done with the burn, you give it a healthy soak with the hose?
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Stump eradication - 10/21/22 09:41 AM

Some coal mine fires have been burning for over 100 years!

Cut the stump off as short as you can, drill large holes or score it into 2 inch squares, pour quart of uncultured buttermilk on it, then cover with grass clippngs or straw. It will rot away in short order.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums