Home

Okay bear hunters- target a giant bear

Posted By: BernieB.

Okay bear hunters- target a giant bear - 10/24/22 10:09 PM

Take your baiting to another level. This interview has a lot of good info in it. It takes an hour to watch it all but if you're interested in getting a giant on the bait in daylight, it's worth every minute.

Re: Okay bear hunters- target a giant bear - 10/25/22 11:57 AM

No comments?
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Okay bear hunters- target a giant bear - 10/25/22 12:14 PM

I have one- I watched the whole thing this am. I’ll draw a tag next year and my Ag fields will be planted with corn, I plan to do more scouting on my field border edge as a result of this video. I have never baited by the corn because my fields are on frontage roads and more accessible to Bear dogs and if a strike dog gets a whiff- common for them to push right past the no trespassing signs. I may focus on those intercept points leading to the corn as mentioned or hunt a stand on the edge. Anyway- great video and got me thinking about different strategies with standing corn.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Okay bear hunters- target a giant bear - 10/25/22 12:31 PM

Twenty minutes into it and enjoying it. I've been hunting bear for more than forty years and know most of the tricks but I'm picking up a nugget or two from your video.
Posted By: NJTrapper

Re: Okay bear hunters- target a giant bear - 10/25/22 01:27 PM

All good info. In Maine were I hunt, my bait stations are assigned by coordinates. Some are not in the best spots. But I am anxiously waiting for the bear season to open up here in New jersey again. Pretty sure the next world record will come from Jersey. There are some monsters here.
Posted By: MattLA

Re: Okay bear hunters- target a giant bear - 10/25/22 02:07 PM

Guys is it possible to kill bears without baiting them or using dogs to tree the bear? I would watch the video, but data use is problematic for me. Thanks

Re: Okay bear hunters- target a giant bear - 10/25/22 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by NJTrapper
All good info. In Maine were I hunt, my bait stations are assigned by coordinates. Some are not in the best spots. But I am anxiously waiting for the bear season to open up here in New jersey again. Pretty sure the next world record will come from Jersey. There are some monsters here.

There are some giants in northern New Jersey. Just a matter of time before they have to do something about the bears there, hopefully they kick the idiot governor to the curb.

Re: Okay bear hunters- target a giant bear - 10/25/22 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by MattLA
Guys is it possible to kill bears without baiting them or using dogs to tree the bear? I would watch the video, but data use is problematic for me. Thanks

29 states and provinces use bear baiting as their primary bear management tool. It's for good reason, it works when nothing else does. If you live in a state where you cannot bait, there are some useful tips in the video about hunting around corn.
Posted By: Griffin21

Re: Okay bear hunters- target a giant bear - 10/25/22 04:07 PM

If you get your Maine hunting license, trapping license and Bear trapping license.
You can trap for Bear at a bait site.
In Maine you can take two Bear, one hunting and one trapping.
Posted By: D.T.

Re: Okay bear hunters- target a giant bear - 10/25/22 04:38 PM

Very possible to kill bears without baiting. Every bear i have killed has been spot and stalk.

I get that it might be different in different habitats. More power to you guys, but baiting wouldn’t be for me and isnt for the others i know.

Re: Okay bear hunters- target a giant bear - 10/25/22 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by D.T.

Very possible to kill bears without baiting. Every bear i have killed has been spot and stalk.

I get that it might be different in different habitats. More power to you guys, but baiting wouldn’t be for me and isnt for the others i know.

Come spot and stalk Minnesota, Michigan or Wisconsin and see how it goes for ya LOL. You'll change your tune once you get out more.

Re: Okay bear hunters- target a giant bear - 10/25/22 04:47 PM

I wont change my tune. I understand its different in other habitats. Just answering a question. Bait em up. Have a blast
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Okay bear hunters- target a giant bear - 10/25/22 04:47 PM

No baiting or hunting with dogs where I live and still plenty of bears shot.
Same with deer
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Okay bear hunters- target a giant bear - 10/25/22 04:54 PM

I have no desire to shoot a bear. Never have. I would like to go on a dog hunt and just watch them tree one, but don’t want to kill it or see it killed.
Now if someone told me they had bears and if I killed one they’d grant me turkey access, then that might change my thoughts, lol.
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Okay bear hunters- target a giant bear - 10/25/22 06:06 PM

We are not allowed to bait or run bears with dogs, In my area the bears come down to the orchards and corn fields. Just about as good as baiting.

Re: Okay bear hunters- target a giant bear - 10/25/22 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Turtledale

No baiting or hunting with dogs where I live and still plenty of bears shot.
Same with deer

Same with PA and other areas. Tactics adapt to the habitat. That's why baiting is used in 29 states and provinces that are not NY.
Posted By: Born

Re: Okay bear hunters- target a giant bear - 10/25/22 08:04 PM

Thanks Bernie. Enjoyed the video and hearing from Jesse and yourself talk black bears.

Re: Okay bear hunters- target a giant bear - 10/25/22 08:36 PM

I wont change my tune. I understand its different in other habitats. Just answering a question. Bait em up. Have a blast

Do you use bait for trapping?

Re: Okay bear hunters- target a giant bear - 10/25/22 08:47 PM

I do, but not for hunting or fishing.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Okay bear hunters- target a giant bear - 10/25/22 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by BernieB.
No comments?

Yogi and Boo Boo are in for it now.

Better they stay away from those picnic baskets !!! shocked
Posted By: bandy

Re: Okay bear hunters- target a giant bear - 10/25/22 10:15 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I want this one.
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: Okay bear hunters- target a giant bear - 10/25/22 10:17 PM

Who wouldn’t! That’s a dandy!!
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Okay bear hunters- target a giant bear - 10/26/22 02:21 AM

interesting if you click on the lower youtube on the posting...the numbers go up and you can comment there
wonder if the same go if you click on the red arrow ?
Posted By: keets

Re: Okay bear hunters- target a giant bear - 10/26/22 02:22 AM

I'm drawing my tag for here next fall, with 10 points...some good info in this video tough here with all the hounds ...I have a few spots that will work
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: Okay bear hunters- target a giant bear - 10/26/22 02:44 AM

Great video and discussion, two very knowledgeable people layin it out. One can always learn. Found it interesting the travel range of bears, and the difference between farmland and big woods with the woods and such.
Posted By: Kevin Colpetzer

Re: Okay bear hunters- target a giant bear - 10/26/22 04:47 AM

[Linked Image]
Seen him three times this year so far.
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: Okay bear hunters- target a giant bear - 10/26/22 11:45 AM

That is a fat bear Kevin laugh

Very few bears around here and in Texas they are protected. Ones I have seen pictures of are considerably smaller than those posted here
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Okay bear hunters- target a giant bear - 10/26/22 11:51 AM

Head to north Carolina! Massive obese bears. 800+lb

Re: Okay bear hunters- target a giant bear - 10/26/22 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Northof50
interesting if you click on the lower youtube on the posting...the numbers go up and you can comment there
wonder if the same go if you click on the red arrow ?

Yes you have to go to YouTube to comment, but the views count even when it is imbedded and you watch it here.
Posted By: bandy

Re: Okay bear hunters- target a giant bear - 10/26/22 12:09 PM

No baiting here in Virginia you can't even use sent for bears just still hunting and dog's. So if you want a big o e it's luck or a lot of foot work and trail cameras. I'm going to try to get a bear starting the end of November 300 to 500 is doable here but 250 is common for weight. The pic I posted was in 2020 but is in a very secluded area not a easy place to drop off dog's so maybe he's still in there.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Okay bear hunters- target a giant bear - 10/27/22 01:22 AM

One question.
Of those big bear he's killed, we're they ALL taken over bait while in a treestand at close range?
Posted By: gutthooked

Re: Okay bear hunters- target a giant bear - 10/27/22 02:39 AM

[Linked Image]

Been after this hog, he likes moving after dark.
Posted By: sweetwilliam

Re: Okay bear hunters- target a giant bear - 10/27/22 02:48 AM

I think the ontario record is 890 have to look
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Okay bear hunters- target a giant bear - 10/27/22 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Colpetzer
[Linked Image]

I have to ask. what are those bears eating to get so fat. Back bears here dont get obese like that, (the browns can in a good salmon fishing spot), I am assuming farmers grain ?
Posted By: Sask hunter

Re: Okay bear hunters- target a giant bear - 10/27/22 04:00 AM

Very good video!

Re: Okay bear hunters- target a giant bear - 10/27/22 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by yukonjeff
Originally Posted by Kevin Colpetzer
[Linked Image]

I have to ask. what are those bears eating to get so fat. Back bears here dont get obese like that, (the browns can in a good salmon fishing spot), I am assuming farmers grain ?

Yes they basically have unlimited food. Berries, acorns, corn, oats, etc.

Re: Okay bear hunters- target a giant bear - 10/27/22 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by sweetwilliam
I think the ontario record is 890 have to look

I'm not sure what the Minnesota record is for weight, probably about that. I have seen some that are pushing half a ton.

Re: Okay bear hunters- target a giant bear - 10/27/22 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by bucksnbears
One question.
Of those big bear he's killed, we're they ALL taken over bait while in a treestand at close range?

Yes. He has one he knows of that he says if he kills it the situation will probably be getting it as it enters a cornfield because it will not come to a bait ever. That's certainly a long shot.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Okay bear hunters- target a giant bear - 10/27/22 11:47 AM

Last week I went to PA for early muzzleloader season. We were going down our farm road and a bear the size of a F-350 was walking down the road in front of the truck. The bear finally heard the truck and turned and ran into the woods. My buddy said "what are they feeding these bears" I had a big laugh! Did not see the bear hunting but saw 7 bucks (which you can't shot in early season) and tons of doe.

Re: Okay bear hunters- target a giant bear - 10/27/22 12:03 PM

A lot of dog guys by me run standing corn- it seems they all have baits adjacent to standing corn and feed mostly cookie dough. The one hounds man told me they fill up fast bed in or near the corn.
Posted By: gutthooked

Re: Okay bear hunters- target a giant bear - 11/05/22 01:15 AM

[Linked Image]

Still chasing him, buy haven't got any daylight pics of him yet.im guessing he goes to the corn field every night.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums