Home

USDA Banning Canning Lids

Posted By: Finster

USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/24/22 11:50 PM

Posted By: D.T.

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 12:16 AM

What the heck is the world coming to. Thanks for the heads up. Guess ill be one of the many looking for 1000s. What was the other brand folks liked other than ball?
Posted By: KeithC

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 12:36 AM

The guy in the video is the absolute only person saying that canning lids are being banned, when I searched it.

Keith
Posted By: warrior

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by D.T.
What the heck is the world coming to. Thanks for the heads up. Guess ill be one of the many looking for 1000s. What was the other brand folks liked other than ball?

Golden Harvest
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by KeithC
The guy in the video is the absolute only person saying that canning lids are being banned, when I searched it.

Keith

Maybe he's got a couple mill lids to sell!
Posted By: run

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 12:40 AM

Cool guy, I like him.
Posted By: charles

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 12:41 AM

Could not find much to support this. Not saying it isn’t true but this is the only source I could find.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by martentrapper
Originally Posted by KeithC

Keith

Maybe he's got a couple mill lids to sell!

or is being paid by Ball or other canning supplier.

If this was real, it would already be on my radar.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by run
I no longer care about the USDA. Just another guberment agency.

Well the fact that you can go to any store and buy food and go home and eat it and not die says otherwise. Without them we’d probably be shopping like the third world countries with flys on the food hanging in the sun on the streets.
Posted By: Chancey

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 12:51 AM

Good post Finster. I tried those white lids last year canning a bunch of 1lb deer cubes in pint jars. I had a lot of failures. I liked the idea of the multiple use, but am now skeptical of them. I may have done something wrong, but my mom was helping me and she's been canning for over 65 years. Not sure what we did wrong.

This is another good resource that should be in all of our homes........

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show...ausage-making-how-to-cure-hams-shoulders
Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 12:51 AM

Got lucky years ago, when Ball lids went from 59 cents for 12 lids to $1.29 for 12 lids .
Went on E BAY looking for lids , bought 1,000's of them.
Some at only 4 cents each.
Some came in boxes of 12 , while the best came in bulk , 500 per box.
Bought 4,000 of the wide mouth, but only got a 1,000 of the regular lids.
They were right from Ball manufacturing , but discontinued .
Someone got all the stock and sold them on E BAY , think the last box was bought in 2009 .
My kids and grand kids will have lids for awhile.
I tried new lids , when I needed a dozen jars , and most of the new lids that came with the jars , buckled.
Recanned them with my stock.
Can't believe seen prices as high as 35 cents per lid , and even higher.
IMHO seems like the goal is to make it impossible to self sustain .
Posted By: run

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Originally Posted by run

Well the fact that you can go to any store and buy food and go home and eat it and not die says otherwise. Without them we’d probably be shopping like the third world countries with flys on the food hanging in the sun on the streets.

Just go to the inner city and I can't tell if I am in a 3rd world country or not. LOL. This 3rd world stuff is coming pretty fast if you ask me.

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Ohio Wolverine
Got lucky years ago, when Ball lids went from 59 cents for 12 lids to $1.29 for 12 lids .
Went on E BAY looking for lids , bought 1,000's of them.
Some at only 4 cents each.
Some came in boxes of 12 , while the best came in bulk , 500 per box.
Bought 4,000 of the wide mouth, but only got a 1,000 of the regular lids.
They were right from Ball manufacturing , but discontinued .
Someone got all the stock and sold them on E BAY , think the last box was bought in 2009 .
My kids and grand kids will have lids for awhile.
I tried new lids , when I needed a dozen jars , and most of the new lids that came with the jars , buckled.
Recanned them with my stock.
Can't believe seen prices as high as 35 cents per lid , and even higher.
IMHO seems like the goal is to make it impossible to self sustain .

I fear this may be the case. The good Lord gives seasons for a reason. Our seasons allow us to produce enough to sustain for a year, so long as we know how to store/preserve it based on where we live; and diligent enough to take care of ourselves. Canning makes this necessary task much more achievable.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Originally Posted by run

That's what lawsuits are for. USDA is just a middle man getting its cut.

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Chancey
Good post Finster. I tried those white lids last year canning a bunch of 1lb deer cubes in pint jars. I had a lot of failures. I liked the idea of the multiple use, but am now skeptical of them. I may have done something wrong, but my mom was helping me and she's been canning for over 65 years. Not sure what we did wrong.

I like that book , hate to say it , but food is going to be harder and harder to get.
Look at everything that's happening right now.
Farmers have to pay more for everything they need to produce crops.
They make less than they spend.
Canning became an help about 15 years ago.
Since then lids , jars , everything either became unadvalable or became so cheap in manufacture , they no longer work as intended.
I'm eating tomatoes , corn , potatoes , and green beans canned in 2011 , still good.
Some things don't last as long , fruit, and pickled products seem to deteriorate or the lids rust away from the vinegar .
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 01:47 AM

Why would you buy from a market with fly's on the meat? Get real. USDA is just more faceless bureaucrats telling people they never met that they know best how you ought to live. I doubt we would miss any of the alphabets if they all got fired in the morning.
Posted By: warrior

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 01:58 AM

https://www.thenews-messenger.com/story/opinion/2022/07/23/john-stossel-wheres-beef/10105035002/

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 02:07 AM

This is very true, it's very rare to see a kill and butcher shop any more.
Used to be everywhere when I was growing up.
Seems like now it's a kill site and then transport to a butcher site .
Wonder how the slaughterhouses are getting around this.
Posted By: Marty

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 02:13 AM

Flies add a bit of flavor....
Posted By: boncoon

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 02:16 AM

Don't know what is going on, local Walmart has more canning supplies than all spring and summer.

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by boncoon
Don't know what is going on, local Walmart has more canning supplies than all spring and summer.

From what I've been seeing , the jars and lids are failing at a very high percentage.
Have heard lids are made in China ( not very sure about that ) hard to find where made on anything any more.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 02:22 AM

The fact your Mama has been canning for so long may be why you had problems. Those reusable lids are NOT used the same way as normal lids. Your mama likely canned them like she always did, fingertip tight, put them in and process, take them out and let them cool and don't dare touch them for 24 hours.... which is the exact WRONG way to use reusable lids.

With the reusable lids, you tighten then fingertip tight then back it off a little, so they're looser than fingertip tight. Process them and then as SOON as you take them out, tighten them up... which goes against everything long time canners consider gospel.
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Ohio Wolverine
Originally Posted by boncoon

From what I've been seeing , the jars and lids are failing at a very high percentage.
Have heard lids are made in China ( not very sure about that ) hard to find where made on anything any more.

I heard China is trying to put an end to our ability to preserve food via canning by producing lids that won’t seal. And if that’s not enough, the government is going to outlaw it all together!
Posted By: nate

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝
[quote=Wanna Be][quote=run]I no longer care about the USDA. Just another guberment agency.

Well the fact that you can go to any store and buy food and go home and eat it and not die says otherwise. Without them we’d probably be shopping like the third world countries with flys on the food hanging in the sun on the streets.[/quot

All them agencies are goberemit run USDA CDC hospital and doctors but the next post about them on this sight 90 percent or morewillbe praising them. All cats from the same litter.

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

The fact your Mama has been canning for so long may be why you had problems. Those reusable lids are NOT used the same way as normal lids. Your mama likely canned them like she always did, fingertip tight, put them in and process, take them out and let them cool and don't dare touch them for 24 hours.... which is the exact WRONG way to use reusable lids.

With the reusable lids, you tighten then fingertip tight then back it off a little, so they're looser than fingertip tight. Process them and then as SOON as you take them out, tighten them up... which goes against everything long time canners consider gospel.

I have no knowlege of them personally , so can't say , just know the lids are not what they used to be.
Just glad I got lucky and did what I did years ago.

Will say even that process seems strange , as food can get under the lids easier.
The idea is to let steam and air out , but keep the food in , that's why you tighten the rings to finger tight.
Never use rubber rings for seals , like with the glass lids with a bail lock, or the zink lids .
So can't say anything about them.
All I know as fact is that the lids of today aren't what they used to be.
Have around a 700 jars from years of collecting them.
99% Are old jars , only a few from the last 10 years are younger than 20 years old.
Fact of the mater still stands , like the OP seems they don't want us to preserve food any more.
Makes you wonder what's in canned goods from the store.
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 05:04 AM

I've watched this guy's videos and the sky is falling in most of them
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 11:06 AM

Does the USDA actually have the power to just ban a long standing and widely used product? they sure as (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) shouldn't.
Posted By: DaveP

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by trapdog1
Does the USDA actually have the power to just ban a long standing and widely used product? they sure as (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) shouldn't.

When has the lack of legal authority stopped a government entity from doing anything it's wanted to.do.in the last 40 years?

FWIW, think it's a BS story.
We only use Ball lids, pretty sure still made in Ohio.
Saw a guy that works there posting about it last winter
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Giant Sage

I'm going with this^^^^^ Chicken Little
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Turtledale

I'm going with this^^^^^ Chicken Little

Yep
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 12:34 PM

I can see it all clearly now. Bootleg lids flooding across the border from Mexican cartels. All the good people back in the hollers running canning operation with revenuers looking for them. Black helicopters swooping around..
LMAO!
People jumping off the edge of the planet because couldn't get their lids.

Mac
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 12:53 PM

I have some that the flats won't come out of the bands. They want us to throw away and buy new.
Posted By: RHuff

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 01:18 PM

I have used Ball and Golden Harvest lids for years with no Issues at all. Might have one bulge while canning but sucks down tight while cooling. I can Beans, Peppers and Tomato products every year and have no desire to try plastic lids. I have found no evidence that the USDA is banning canning lids or has any desire to. Broad and overly open statement to post that the USDA is banning canning lids. I can my own food because I know how my food was prepared and how it was grown not because want to save money. In my opinion this Post was designed to get hits on a you tube sight.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 01:24 PM

Theres a few cents to be made if they get enough hits. I can't watch most videos.

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 01:43 PM

alphabet city needs banned...
Posted By: HayDay

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 01:57 PM

Since somebody brought it up, what causes lids to pucker? Have had both regular and wide mouth. The regular went ahead and sealed, the wide mouth didn't.

My guess is they are slightly oversized........the band will still fit and screw down, but when the lid heats up in either the water bath or pressure canner, the metal expands and has to go somewhere, so is forced to pucker. If only slightly off, the vacuum pulled in the jar is enough to hold it down. I always remove the bands for storage, so if a lid fails, you know it PDQ......before it goes into storage.

FWIW, for past 2 years I have been using generic lids sourced from an Amish grocery store. The regulars came in a foot long sleeve of about 500. Only had a few of those pucker. No other failures.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 02:12 PM

Couple of the movie making trappers need to make one that says
raccoon fur is making a strong fashion come back. And then let Fin find it. grin
Posted By: Flicker Shad

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 02:17 PM

Click bait to get views and spread fear. More lid hoarding to take place.

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 02:25 PM

lots of 'be afraid' videos on yutube....some of the channels have perfected that science and they will sell you everything you need to 'be ready'.
Posted By: DanN

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 03:50 PM

This is absolutely not true.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Marty

Let’s ban .gov. The cities would take care of themselves!
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer

Let’s ban .gov. The cities would take care of themselves!

tacticalcivics.com deals with just those thoughts
Posted By: Kre

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 06:14 PM

Only a moron would believe this moron.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 06:33 PM

I lost these lids in a tragic boating accident.

[Linked Image]

Keith
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 06:33 PM

[Linked Image]
I guess, I have to quit canning!! grin
Posted By: MJM

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 07:43 PM

The first thing he says. "So, the USDA may actually ban canning" May and may not?

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 08:15 PM

Yea, I'll admit the title was a little "click baity". However, the way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised. Government has grown way too big and has it's mitts in everything when about 99% of things don't concern it. That being said, I believe he was just talking about the plastic reusable lids. I wouldn't use them anyway. I have trust issues with plastic.
Posted By: danvee

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 09:45 PM

Believing commentary stuff posted on utube is like reading stuff on the bathroom walls.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by danvee
Believing commentary stuff posted on utube is like reading stuff on the bathroom walls.

Oh huh, I know for a fact Missy is a good time! grin

Finster, lame post ole boy. Your becoming as popular as me. grin grin
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Kre

I fell for this hook, line, and sinker…who would post something on the intra netty that isn’t real?

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Catch22
Originally Posted by danvee

Oh huh, I know for a fact Missy is a good time! grin

Finster, lame post ole boy. Your becoming as popular as me. grin grin

yea right, like anything could be that lame. wink

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/25/22 11:58 PM

this guy has flipped his lid..... laugh

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/26/22 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

Thats good information Yote. Thank you for sharing. With that info, I'll give it another shot this winter when I get to canning deer.

Definitely agree with you that may have been the problem.

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/26/22 12:24 AM

what are we referring to here with the term 'resuable lids'? the part that screws on or the part that sits on top of the jar?
Posted By: rvsask

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/26/22 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Kre

No doubt.

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/26/22 12:32 AM

The part that sits on top Marty, the lid they call it. Rings last, lids not so much.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/26/22 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by rvsask
Originally Posted by Kre

No doubt.

Ok, I now retract my previous post because I've never been called out as a Moron, twofold. grin grin
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/26/22 12:54 AM

The Hardware Store had complete quart jars stacked to the ceiling when I was in there today.

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/26/22 12:58 AM

The part that sits on top Marty, the lid they call it. Rings last, lids not so much.

I thought it was best to always use a new lid and never use a used lid?
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/26/22 01:00 AM

Lots available on line to purchase. I try to keep stocked up on lids and spare rings. Just ordered another 300 today just in case.

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/26/22 01:01 AM

I thought it was best to always use a new lid and never use a used lid?

True, prior to the manufacturing of “reusable lids.” Kind of like never use synthetic oil in your car unless your car has the manufactured seals that can hold up with the synthetic.

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/26/22 01:08 AM

sounds like the 'reusable lids' may suck....

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/26/22 01:11 AM

sounds like the 'reusable lids' may suck....

Actually, with a small adjustment to the process they are even better because you can reuse them instead of making targets out of them. lol
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/26/22 02:48 AM

what are we referring to here with the term 'resuable lids'? the part that screws on or the part that sits on top of the jar?

These Marty.

https://canninglids.com/

or

https://www.reusablecanninglids.com/

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/26/22 02:55 AM

^thanks
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: USDA Banning Canning Lids - 10/26/22 08:40 AM

Yep, he's known as Captain Clickbait....
© 2024 Trapperman Forums