Home

New Morel Mushroom market

Posted By: Bob Jameson

New Morel Mushroom market - 10/25/22 05:38 PM

I see some retail outlets are selling dehydrated Morel Mushrooms for $413.00 a pound currently. I will make some more time next spring to visit some of my good spots. It looks like a strong market ahead.
Posted By: jk

Re: New Morel Mushroom market - 10/25/22 05:40 PM

Do they taste the same? $400 a pound, wonder how many pounds of fresh that is
Posted By: hippie

Re: New Morel Mushroom market - 10/25/22 05:45 PM

Shiitake mushrooms are in alot of country stores around here, and the Amish that sell have them too.
I never heard of them before so I looked them up and Turns out they are good for your immune system, so I'm guessing covid is the reason they are popular now.
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: New Morel Mushroom market - 10/25/22 05:49 PM

As dry as we are going into winter i am not expecting much of a morel season next spring

Re: New Morel Mushroom market - 10/25/22 06:01 PM

I have dried hundreds by hanging individually on a string in my basement like castor. Then once dry I place them in containers to keep them until use. They taste great once rehydrated for cooking.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: New Morel Mushroom market - 10/25/22 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
I have dried hundreds by hanging individually on a string in my basement like castor. Then once dry I place them in containers to keep them until use. They taste great once rehydrated for cooking.

My mom, aunt and grandmother would string bushels of papinki mushrooms but hung them in the attic. Good memories.
Posted By: k snow

Re: New Morel Mushroom market - 10/25/22 06:18 PM

We slice puffballs, dry them, then powder the slices. Keep the powder stored in mason jars. Quick way to add mushroom flavor to any recipe.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: New Morel Mushroom market - 10/25/22 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by k snow
We slice puffballs, dry them, then powder the slices. Keep the powder stored in mason jars. Quick way to add mushroom flavor to any recipe.

How thin do you slice the puffballs?

Do you use a dehydrator, air dry or something else?

Keith
Posted By: k snow

Re: New Morel Mushroom market - 10/25/22 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by KeithC

Keith

Maybe half inch. We lay them on wire racks in the spare kitchen and put a fan on them for a couple days. Flip them every 12 hours or so. We also cut the "skin" off them, it can be pretty tough when dry.
Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

Re: New Morel Mushroom market - 10/25/22 07:42 PM

If you only have a few to dry , place them in your frost free refrigerator on a rack so air flows around them.
I didn't have enough for a batch to cook , so put them in the refrigerator , and forgot about them.
They dried rock hard and break up for soups , soak them in water for frying.
I've dried many of them that way.

Re: New Morel Mushroom market - 10/25/22 07:50 PM

Sheephead, Chicken Mushrooms and Chantrels I slice, bag and vacuum seal and date. Those that dry more then others when in the freezer reconstitute very easily when cooking.
Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

Re: New Morel Mushroom market - 10/25/22 08:18 PM

Michigan State University had a video a few years back of a farm in the northern lower , that grew them year around. I lost that video when my computer crashed , and can't find it now. Did find an interesting one though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3E78Q20RlE
Posted By: KeithC

Re: New Morel Mushroom market - 10/26/22 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by KeithC

Keith

Maybe half inch. We lay them on wire racks in the spare kitchen and put a fan on them for a couple days. Flip them every 12 hours or so. We also cut the "skin" off them, it can be pretty tough when dry.

Thanks. I'll try this.

Keith
Posted By: Matt28

Re: New Morel Mushroom market - 10/26/22 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Flint Hill fur
As dry as we are going into winter i am not expecting much of a morel season next spring

The dry will make it way better if you get the right rain in the right time this spring, stressed out trees will put off a lot of morels come spring.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums