What’s wrong with him? Are those warts?
Posted By: Animals Only

Re: small buck - 10/25/22 10:38 PM

Looks like some road rash to.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: small buck - 10/25/22 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Animals Only
Looks like some road rash to.

Thought that too, but the rack is still intact.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: small buck - 10/25/22 11:28 PM

Fibroma
Posted By: Pofarmer10

Re: small buck - 10/25/22 11:32 PM

Small buck? crazy

Re: small buck - 10/25/22 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Fibroma

You gonna make us look it up ain’t ya?
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: small buck - 10/25/22 11:34 PM

Good average buck. Let them go every year that size but it never seems to help. Don't see them the following season.

Re: small buck - 10/25/22 11:35 PM

Ha! It is warts!!

Re: small buck - 10/25/22 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Ha! It is warts!!

Now you know...lol

Re: small buck - 10/25/22 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Pofarmer10
Small buck? crazy

Yes that is a small young buck. Give’em all at least 4.5yrs to see what they’ll become. I’ve never noticed much of a difference in 8pts from 3.5-5.5. They’re always still an 8pt. They may grow longer tines and add on mass, but still an 8. An 8pt at 4.5 needs taken out. 10pts need left alone until at least 5.5. Then you start to see some serious growth. We have one that was looking really good in velvet and needs one more year. He’s got a drop tine, or should I say had a drop tine, he’s already broken it off. Let deer grow and they will surprise you.

Re: small buck - 10/25/22 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Ha! It is warts!!

Now you know...lol

Had to look it up. Thought that was the official name, just wasn’t sure, lol.

Re: small buck - 10/25/22 11:48 PM

Fibroma is common in whitetails. The warts will come and go, but may get bad on some deer.
Posted By: Pofarmer10

Re: small buck - 10/25/22 11:59 PM

Around here that is a medium good sized buck.

Re: small buck - 10/26/22 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Pofarmer10
Around here that is a medium good sized buck.

How old are you and how many you killed?

Re: small buck - 10/26/22 01:26 AM

Let me just say this if you’re young and never killed a deer, yes shoot the brakes off them a few years, then worry about letting them grow. Yeah, when I was young I’d have shot that deer until he quit moving, lol.
Hunters grow through the years. After a bunch of kills you’ll start wanting better and better. You’ll see a buck one year and pass it, then see the growth the following year and see what passing him created. You get some kills under your belt and satisfy that bloodlust for now. Good luck this year.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: small buck - 10/26/22 01:32 AM

I personally am not up to telling others what to shoot. Shoot what makes u happy. If I have a doe tag I still get excited when a doe presents a shot. If I decide to to shot an average buck I still get excited. If I decide to try holding out for a biggun I will enjoy the challenge of it. If its legal and it fills the bill for what you want out of the hunt go for it.
Posted By: D.T.

Re: small buck - 10/26/22 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
I personally am not up to telling others what to shoot. Shoot what makes u happy. If I have a doe tag I still get excited when a doe presents a shot. If I decide to to shot an average buck I still get excited. If I decide to try holding out for a biggun I will enjoy the challenge of it. If its legal and it fills the bill for what you want out of the hunt go for it.

I agree. Aside from the warts, if its legal and to your liking have at it. You could always put down that arrow launching training wheel thing you call a bow and use a real one. You know, once you get over that blood lust problem
shocked

Re: small buck - 10/26/22 07:46 PM

Not quite sure if that was a dig at me or not. Some hunters mature, and as I’ve learned, some don’t.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: small buck - 10/26/22 08:14 PM

You got that right when I "matured" I found out it wasn't all about antler size wink
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: small buck - 10/26/22 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Turtledale
You got that right when I "matured" I found out it wasn't all about antler size wink

If you shoot that one in the pic it would be all about antlers because you won't be able to eat it. Those cysts make the meat inedible. First hand experience.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: small buck - 10/26/22 08:55 PM

Here we go! Hunters bashing hunters on method of take and size of deer they choose to kill.

That is a 2.5 year old deer probably (educated guess), if you have a tag for it shoot it, if you want. The warts won’t hurt the meat and you can eat the deer (deer biologist was phoned).

Re: small buck - 10/26/22 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by DelawareRob
Here we go! Hunters bashing hunters on method of take and size of deer they choose to kill.

That is a 2.5 year old deer probably (educated guess), if you have a tag for it shoot it, if you want. The warts won’t hurt the meat and you can eat the deer (deer biologist was phoned).

Believe me the biologists don't know what they are talking about especially if they think those are warts.

When they have those fibroma cysts on the skin they are usually in the meat as well. Just wait until you cut into one of them. Not kidding.

Re: small buck - 10/26/22 09:07 PM

Ok, I’ll let him know he needs to turn in his doctorate in deer biology.

Re: small buck - 10/26/22 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by DelawareRob
Ok, I’ll let him know he needs to turn in his doctorate in deer biology.

He definitely should if he thinks they are warts.

Re: small buck - 10/26/22 09:23 PM

Cutaneous Fibromas, more commonly known as deer warts.

https://www.mdwfp.com/wildlife-hunt...nd-abnormalities/cutaneous-fibromas.aspx

Maybe you had one that had a bad bacterial infection or another issue that caused the meat to be bad.

© 2024 Trapperman Forums