Home

Anybody ever experience phantom smells?

Posted By: lumberjack391

Anybody ever experience phantom smells? - 10/29/22 02:48 AM

I would have called someone crazy if they told me they smell smoke or any other intense smell that isnt there. Within the last year I kept smelling wood smoke that wasnt there. had that sensation for several days- it got so intense it kind of drives you crazy. Lately I been smelling car exhaust, but it doesnt last as long as the woodsmoke. Thought I was crazy and I looked it up, its a real thing. Anybody else smell odors that arent really there?
Posted By: bandy

Re: Anybody ever experience phantom smells? - 10/29/22 02:50 AM

My wife
Posted By: white17

Re: Anybody ever experience phantom smells? - 10/29/22 02:50 AM

I have that nearly all the time since I had radiation on my throat.

I smell wood smoke a lot. Also I smell bananas...which I dislike greatly.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Anybody ever experience phantom smells? - 10/29/22 02:51 AM

Covid related?
When I had covid over two years ago, I didn't lose my sense of smell, it just changed for a month or so.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Anybody ever experience phantom smells? - 10/29/22 03:43 AM

Brain cancer and damage and cancer and damage to the olfactory nerve, which goes straight into the brain, can cause you to smell smells that are not present. You should probably see a doctor.

Keith
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Anybody ever experience phantom smells? - 10/29/22 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by KeithC
Brain cancer and damage and cancer and damage to the olfactory nerve, which goes straight into the brain, can cause you to smell smells that are not present. You should probably see a doctor.

Keith

I concur. Had a BIL that smelled burnt toast, he died. Get to a Dr and get checked.
Posted By: Old pup

Re: Anybody ever experience phantom smells? - 10/29/22 03:50 AM

Every now and then for the past 5 years or so, I smell cigarette smoke. I haven't smoked for over 30 years, except for my pipe.
I also occasionally smell small engine exhaust.
No cancer, COVID or any other afflictions.
Posted By: DWC

Re: Anybody ever experience phantom smells? - 10/29/22 05:03 AM

Tomorrow is pheasant opener in Iowa. Its guaranteed tomorrow night my farts will smell like pheasants. Does this count?

Re: Anybody ever experience phantom smells? - 10/29/22 09:33 AM

That isnt a phantom smell.........those are real.
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: Anybody ever experience phantom smells? - 10/29/22 11:47 AM

Lol any poultry farts are terrible and a real thing.

As for the smell issue, I had it when I had covid. Chainsaw
Out of bar oil is what I would smell.
Posted By: white marlin

Re: Anybody ever experience phantom smells? - 10/29/22 12:04 PM

does wood smoke or car exhaust evoke any special memories?
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Anybody ever experience phantom smells? - 10/29/22 12:10 PM

If you've had Covid....then join the club. Wife and I smelled wood smoke for months post Covid.
Posted By: E.J. Kelley

Re: Anybody ever experience phantom smells? - 10/29/22 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by bandy
My wife

Now that theres funny! Good one Travis!
Posted By: E.J. Kelley

Re: Anybody ever experience phantom smells? - 10/29/22 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
If you've had Covid....then join the club. Wife and I smelled wood smoke for months post Covid.

Same here. Wood smoke or cigarette smoke and still have it on occasion. Weird!
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Anybody ever experience phantom smells? - 10/29/22 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by E.J. Kelley
Originally Posted by bandy
My wife

Now that theres funny! Good one Travis!

Hahaha

At least he didn't say "The neighbors Wife" sick
Posted By: uglyduck

Re: Anybody ever experience phantom smells? - 10/29/22 12:33 PM

2to3 months ago the bath towels keep smelling like onions. the wife smelled the towel and said there clean and they don't smell.
Posted By: Flicker Shad

Re: Anybody ever experience phantom smells? - 10/29/22 01:19 PM

I have too. I think it's covid related.
Posted By: Ron Marsh

Re: Anybody ever experience phantom smells? - 10/29/22 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf

Me too then I cleaned the fireplace LOL
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Anybody ever experience phantom smells? - 10/29/22 02:07 PM

When I experience phantom smells I hold my wife's head under the covers so she can experience them too.

Re: Anybody ever experience phantom smells? - 10/29/22 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by white marlin

Not really, been around many a campfire and some car exhaust.....unless there is a joke in tnere Im thinking........must be a covid thing.
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Anybody ever experience phantom smells? - 10/29/22 03:13 PM

In the combine I’m a bit paranoid about fires. Occasionally get a whiff of something, even to the point I’ve got out and walked around the machine…nothing. Also been a time or two when I’ve got out and ran back to the cab and grabbed the extinguisher cause the @&$”# was on fire!
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Anybody ever experience phantom smells? - 10/29/22 03:28 PM

I don’t think starting a thread about phantom smells on a forum heavily populated with old men was very wise. lol
Posted By: bandy

Re: Anybody ever experience phantom smells? - 10/29/22 04:35 PM

EJ here lately she has been smelling a wampus cat time to board up the windows.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Anybody ever experience phantom smells? - 10/29/22 05:16 PM

I used to experience phantom smells just going into a seizure but it's controlled with medication now. It was a warning to find a place to sit real fast.
Posted By: arrowsmith

Re: Anybody ever experience phantom smells? - 10/29/22 06:36 PM

At the very least check with Dr.
A good friend was experiencing the same thing a few yrs ago and it turned out to be Parkinsons. I remember vividly sitting in the cabin when he told me about the smells. He was on antibiotics for a so called sinus infection, but before the end of the season he received the parkinsons diagnosis. The trembling started a few months later. It may not be anything as serious as this, but after seeing firsthand my friend's diagnosis I certainly would see a doctor.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Anybody ever experience phantom smells? - 10/29/22 08:45 PM

Ever since my Dad died 13 years ago I've caught a phantom whiff of cig smoke. Kinda weird when it happens! My sister has the same experiences.
Posted By: white marlin

Re: Anybody ever experience phantom smells? - 10/29/22 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by lumberjack391
Originally Posted by white marlin

Not really, been around many a campfire and some car exhaust.....unless there is a joke in tnere Im thinking........must be a covid thing.

no joke.

some folks think there's a spiritual connection to such phenomena.
Posted By: Flicker Shad

Re: Anybody ever experience phantom smells? - 11/02/22 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by BernieB.
When I experience phantom smells I hold my wife's head under the covers so she can experience them too.

Blanket pretty. Haha
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Anybody ever experience phantom smells? - 11/02/22 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Flicker Shad
Originally Posted by BernieB.

Blanket pretty. Haha

Dutch oven
Posted By: charles

Re: Anybody ever experience phantom smells? - 11/02/22 01:59 AM

I had Covid in July but even before July I would smell cigarette smoke in my bedroom at night. Nobody has ever smoked in that room.
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: Anybody ever experience phantom smells? - 11/02/22 12:36 PM

I used to take time out of my day running trapps to go to Sunday mass. Many times one or two peaple would say they thought they smelled skunk . I thought I don't smell nothing. Maybe that church just needed Exercised.
Posted By: Muskeg

Re: Anybody ever experience phantom smells? - 11/02/22 06:56 PM

Not me

I’ve been told that a crowded elevator smells different to a midget
Posted By: farmnhunt

Re: Anybody ever experience phantom smells? - 11/02/22 07:39 PM

Since covid, my wife smells cigarette smoke. Her Dad smoked, but no one in our house has ever smoked.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Anybody ever experience phantom smells? - 11/03/22 01:27 AM

When I was a kid, every time I went to the library, the smell of books made me need to take a dump. I'm sure that there where several folks there who had some phantom smells on those particular days...
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Anybody ever experience phantom smells? - 11/03/22 02:09 AM

The senses are like special gifts and the more we exercise them the more useful they can become. Just imagine a dog smelling a rabbit trail and being able to know which way he went. I've had a few hounds that backtracked a lot, so maybe there is as much art in it as well as science.

A couple of times I've smelled flowers as in a funeral that came to pass, makes one think about chance happenings and if its something we can hone in on and refine it or maybe it was just a fluke. We like to explore this earth and space, but we really don't have to go far to at least experience some of 6th and 7th senses. With those things its easy for the outsider to assume evil verses spiritual and even the spiritual could be construed as good or evil.

When one sense starts to fail the others often become more refined. A blind person may hear or feel by touch with amazing accuracy. Regardless of whether its smell or some other gift, if you can refine it a little just remember to run the gift and not let it run you.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums