Home

Mississippi River water level.

Posted By: danvee

Mississippi River water level. - 11/01/22 11:57 PM

Sounds like the mighty Mississippi water level is dropping reducing barge traffic and impacting fresh water. Going to be a impact on the refineries, fisheries and will make the future hurricanes worse if the marsh grass is impacted. Seems like one thing after another in the last few years. I remember reading not long ago of a goofy plan to try to pump water out of the Mighty Miss to the drought areas of the west, dream on.
Posted By: 160user

Re: Mississippi River water level. - 11/02/22 12:14 AM

I can tell you that up here near the headwaters we just don't have any water to send you. It is dry as heck here.
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: Mississippi River water level. - 11/02/22 12:25 AM

Mississippi as low as I ever seen here. Took grandson fishing 2 weeks in a row. Kind of worried about lower unit but since I fished river for years and worked river till I retired was not real worried. Saw structure I never seen before. He caught 1 channel cat in two trips and I caught 0. First time he got bragging rights on Pop Pop. He still rubbing it in. Priceless
Posted By: Boco

Re: Mississippi River water level. - 11/02/22 01:08 AM

Global warming continues to have an impact.
Posted By: Osagian

Re: Mississippi River water level. - 11/02/22 01:19 AM

I've been hearing the Mississippi was low. Am curious to know if any old steamboat wrecks or other pieces of history are coming out of the water.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Mississippi River water level. - 11/02/22 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Global warming continues to have an impact.

It's climate change now. Changes daily.
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: Mississippi River water level. - 11/02/22 01:27 AM

Osagian. Have not seen it here yet but I’m not going to run river at these stages now. It’s 2 foot lower when I took my grandson
Posted By: Average Joe

Re: Mississippi River water level. - 11/02/22 01:32 AM

Hank Jr. was right all along.
First verse of “Country Boy can Survive”:

The preacher man says it's the end of time
And the Mississippi River, she's a-goin' dry
The interest is up and the stock market's down
And you only get mugged if you go downtown
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Mississippi River water level. - 11/02/22 01:40 AM

Barges are pushing about 2/3ds the normal grain down and there will be smaller loads of fertilizer, steel etc. going north. This will add a lot of additional cost to moving grain through the Gulf but exports are pretty slow right now.
A lot of wheat is going through the Pacific Northwest. Corn is the biggest issue for the Mississippi due to the huge volume. Even if we get normal moisture for a year or so, the river system could be low for a lot longer.
The Ohio carries the most water of the 3 big rivers and there has been more moisture in that watershed then either the MS or MO.

Bryce
Posted By: mnsota

Re: Mississippi River water level. - 11/02/22 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by danvee
Sounds like the mighty Mississippi water level is dropping reducing barge traffic and impacting fresh water. Going to be a impact on the refineries, fisheries and will make the future hurricanes worse if the marsh grass is impacted. Seems like one thing after another in the last few years. I remember reading not long ago of a goofy plan to try to pump water out of the Mighty Miss to the drought areas of the west, dream on.

Jeepers are we (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman)?,...nothing here ,..your asertation is ridiculous ,..my thoughts we should see we so many flock to Florida ,
Posted By: mnsota

Re: Mississippi River water level. - 11/02/22 02:14 AM

What a serijous responve
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Mississippi River water level. - 11/02/22 04:00 AM

Its been dry up in the head waters area, what do you expect.

I live near Lake Michigan, the water level is up then down and its always global warming or climate change or whatever the latest name is.
But it changes due to rain fall and snow melt in its basin.

Much ado about nothing, it'll go back up when there is heavier rains and a big snow melt in the north.

here is a graph of lake Michigan levels thru the years, a 6ft variance, thats alot of water over a lake as large as that.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: sweetwilliam

Re: Mississippi River water level. - 11/02/22 04:34 AM

If the compensation gates where to be removed in ssm lake superior would drop 15 feet because of the locks we have created. So don't worry the army core of engineers is looking out for us lol.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Mississippi River water level. - 11/02/22 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by mnsota

What a serijous responve

I believe Coonman hacked mnsota's account.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Mississippi River water level. - 11/02/22 11:02 AM

grin
Posted By: run

Re: Mississippi River water level. - 11/02/22 01:03 PM

Coonman is alive , yay!
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Mississippi River water level. - 11/02/22 01:14 PM

Wrecks are showing, and sea water is backing up the river from the gulf.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums